• Published 9th Jan 2015
  • 695 Views, 25 Comments

One Mask Among Many. - Golden Paw



Technological advances have lifted Equestria to a better quality of life than ever before, but moral implications become apparent when an 'envoy' from an old foe comes asking for help.

  • ...
6
 25
 695

Chapter Three

Twilight bit her lip. The meeting with the other princesses wasn’t going well at all. She watched her fellow rulers who each wore expressions of anger, dismay or cold indifference respectively.

”You had best leave it Twilight the changelings are dangerous, you know that as well as any of us,” the warning voice of Celestia stabbed at Twilight.

“But why? I mean they are living creatures like us and they need our help!” Twilight countered only for Celestia’s face to grow as hard as rock. Twilight's own face fell, “We know almost nothing about them, it’s like the dragons all over again and we helped them. Maybe the changelings really do want our aid this time?”

The normally gentle and kind Celestia that Twilight had come to trust snorted with anger, “I said leave it Twilight, nothing good will come from trying to reason with them. We have tried in the past and you know what happened to the last envoys we sent.”

Twilight had been shocked by the venom in Celestia’s voice and with pleading looked to Luna who stood mutely off to one side, “Surely we have a responsibility to help those who have been wronged in the past but wish to make amends?” She knew she was stepping on thin ice, but Twilight felt determined that this was the right course of action.

Celestia’s eyes flared with fire, “That was different Twilight. The point of Equestria is to provide a safe haven for those who will live by laws of justice and peace: The Changelings will never do so. They are a poison in our lands, parasites that drain and give nothing of value.”

Twilight felt a sudden stubbornness she’d seldom encountered before well up in her heart, “But surely they have a place in the world just like we do: like dragons or timber wolves? You keep hinting that there is some overarching plan to our existence, surely changelings have a pla.....”

Celestia’s wrath broke the bounds of her self control and fire swept into her aura. It lit up the room with an angry fury and caused several of the guards stationed near bye to lean back, “Enough Twilight. They are wrong, evil and were made to be so..” Celestia cut herself off and Twilight saw the hint of... something there.

Celestia snorted, the fire still running along her mane and tail, as she attempted to master herself, “I said no Twilight. Do not ask again. I will not sanction any further diplomatic actions with them and that is final.”

Without another word Celestia swept out of the council chamber, leaving smouldering hoof prints in her wake as she passed. Twilight sat in stunned silence. Why was Celestia acting like this? In all the years Twilight had known her Celestia had never been so abrupt before.

The shock of what just happened still resounded through Twilight’s bones as she felt a comforting hoof on her shoulder. Turning her stunned eyes to Luna, Twilight saw the sad expression in her fellow Princess’ eyes.

“Don’t mind Tia, it’s a painful matter for her,” Luna's muzzle scrunched up, “I fear she may be right though. It may be the changelings are not something we can fix, they are what they are Twilight.”

Twilight felt her soul ache, this wasn’t the way she understood the world. Everything she’d been taught lead her to believe that every sentient being could be force for good, they just needed to be given a chance. To think that a whole race was doomed to be nothing more than parasites simply didn’t fit into Twilight’s view of reality.

“Can’t we at least try?” It was almost a whisper, Twilight seeing the agonised expression on that dying pegasus again in her mind’s eye.

Luna’s ears flattened, “Celestia was very clear Twilight: No diplomatic attempts are to be made with the changelings.” Twilight felt her heart sink, this whole situation just felt wrong.

“Then we won’t,” Cadance’s distant voice sounded from the communications screen. Twilight had been so wrapped up in Celestia’s odd behaviour that she’d almost forgotten her sister-in-law was watching in on the conference.

“I more than most have reasons to be angry with those monsters, but I don’t say this out of malice though,” Cadance looked at war with herself. “There is currently no evidence to suggest the changelings are anything but the monsters we take them for.”

Both Twilight and Luna paused, surprised by this suggestion from their distant council member. “Be plain Cadance I would understand what you mean,” Luna’s eyes were dangerous, “Do not even hint at defying my sister, I will not stand for it.”

Cadance’s image smiled, “Of course not Luna. Celestia has been very clear that no diplomatic actions are to be taken.” Twilight felt her sister-in-law’s gaze, “But if I know Twi she already has some plan in motion right?”

Twilight felt her cheeks redden, “Well yes, it was all so confusing and so I was planning a little fact finding mission it’s true.”

It was Luna’s turn to be angry, “You decided this, when?”

The betrayed hurt in Luna’s eyes was worse than Celestia’s anger, but Twilight stood her ground, “The council of Harmony decided to discover the true cause of these changeling incursions, you gave us remit over matters of moral standing.”

Luna breathed heavily for a few moments, before her face softened, “Indeed we did Twilight and now I see the wisdom in such matters. I cannot gainsay my sister, Equestria will not engage in discussions with the changelings.” Luna’s mouth twitched in a relieved smile, “But should the council of Harmony decide to investigate on moral grounds I can get behind that.”

Twilight felt her own worries lift slightly, but Luna wasn’t done, “However I must make it clear that if you do this you will be alone: I cannot sanction any military or other aid. This will be a separate undertaking and will not reflect Equestria’s position on the matter.” Luna looked remorseful, “Even if I do personally believe you to be right Twilight.”

Feeling grateful Twilight smiled weakly in return, “Thank you Luna and you too Cadance, I know this all sounds crazy but I really feel there is something important that needs to be done here.”

Cadance nodded, “Any time Twi, glad I could be of help.” With a final wave and a wink she shut off the connection leaving Twilight and Luna together.

Twilight’s face fell as she regarded Luna once more, “Why was Celestia so angry? You know her best Luna, did I say something really wrong?”

Luna hesitated for a moment before giving the guards a tiny nod. Twilight studied Luna’s face for any explanation, but she had become utterly unreadable. It took a few moments for the soldiers to leave the room and close the door behind them. Luna studied Twilight with an uncertain gaze.

Finally alone, Luna took a deep breath, “I cannot go into much detail Twilight. I have promised not to, but what I can say is that someone hurt Celestia very badly in the past. Me too if I am being honest, but I think it stung Tia more than me.” Twilight’s eyes went wide. Who could possibly upset Celestia in such a manner?

“That doesn’t tell me much Luna, I thought I heard Celestia say the changelings were created to be as they are now?” Twilight asked hesitantly.

Luna winced, “I cannot tell you about this Twilight, please do not press me on it. Just understand that you will not get any help from Celestia on this situation and I will not go against her either. I will provide what support I can, but it won’t be much.” Twilight felt more puzzled than before, but was grateful nevertheless.

Luna forced a smile, “So tell me what you’re planning then? I trust it will not endanger our ponies?”


“That’s it ‘Rinse’, you can do it!” Tinker called encouragement from the sidelines and Buzz narrowed her focus to the raised platform ahead. Tinker Track sat among others watching the flight training and Buzzbot waved shyly to him in thanks.

This training area was decked out to resemble a cloud filled sky, used by the young pegasi and other flying races of Ponyville. It consisted of magically suspended platforms resembling clouds dotted about the enclosed space. Other areas were constructed to form wind tunnels and other hazardous environments such as a cyclone chambers. All things that your average airborne citizen may encounter. The whole area was lined with a protective cushioning to catch the inevitable crashes or blunders and Buzz couldn’t think of a better place to try out her new ‘flight’ skills.

Buzzbot was currently ‘wearing’ the form of a young green pegasus mare yet to gain her cutie mark with a tangled mane of pale yellow. She was mixed in with a class of young foals and a few griffon chicks.

Right now Buzz was doing her best to ignore the stares of the other class members. There were a couple of ‘hot shots’ who made things look easy having flown first, but now it was her turn and Buzz felt the uncomfortable sense of needing to prove herself.

“That’s it filly, spread your wings and let it come naturally!” The instructor called out and Buzz fought the urge to grind her teeth. Easy for you to say, you’re born with wings. She made an effort to flap her own wings, doing her best to put on a good show as Buzz powered up the jump generator.

The sense of weightlessness enveloped her and with a great show of straining, ‘Sky Rinse’ leaped off the floor and soared towards the awaiting cloud. It took Buzz only a few moments to realise that she’d over compensated, she was going to miss her target! Cursing inwardly Buzzbot felt her back legs just catch the platform, rewarding her with a tumbling spin.

The world rolled past her as Buzz fell uncontrollably towards the ground below, her fake wings flapping desperately the whole time. The cushioned flooring saved Buzz from any harm, but the laughing sounds of the other foals was what stung the most. Getting to her hooves Buzzbot saw the other class members all giggling at her.

“Wow is that the first time you have ever flown?” One of the older fillies called in a mocking tone and Buzz felt the growing blush that had nothing to do with her deceptive programming.

“Enough!” The instructor called angrily, and the other class members quietened down to a background level of sniggering, leaving Buzz with a flash of anger.

She felt her cheeks glowing as the black pegasus stallion in charge came over and offered a hoof up, “That certainly was an interesting technique Rinse. I would guess you’re trying too hard.” His voice was kindly, but that didn’t make Buzz feel much better, the taunts from the other class mates still ringing in her head.

“I haven’t had much practice,” Buzz mumbled and the instructor’s muzzle broke into an understanding grin.

“I see, parents not fliers huh?” He asked and Buzz shook her head sadly, “Well not to worry old ‘Wind Swipe’ will have you flying in no time.” Buzz looked gratefully to him and for the first time since she’d come here smiled genuinely.

Wind raised his head and glared at the still giggling class members, “Okay Trotter, that’s enough. Or do I need to remind the class what you were like on your first day?” Wind Swipe addressed the orange pegasus who had called out before. Her face became a sudden mask of horror and Wind winked at Buzz, “Don’t worry we all have to start somewhere.”

“Right, ‘Storm Bounder’ you’re next up to the plate!” ‘Swipe’ shouted and a turquoise colt stepped up with a look of determination on his muzzle.

Buzz watched as this heavyset pony flapped his tiny wings vigorously. With painful slowness he began to lift off the ground and Buzz felt much of her anxiety melt away. Not that she was happy that others were struggling, more that she wasn’t the only pony having trouble.

Before she could stop herself Buzz cheered ‘Storm’ on and was quickly joined by the others in the class as he slowly drifted up to the first 'cloud'. The cheering only increased as he grasped at it with his fore hooves and Storm dragged himself bodily onto the first objective.

Wind Swipe stomped, along with many others as Buzz made her way back to the other foals. She turned to see if Tinker was still watching; only Tinker wasn’t alone. She saw him talking animatedly with Bullet Point (Twilight’s personal assistant) and she felt her heart sink: Neither of them looked happy.

“Okay Rinse, your second try!” Wind Swipe called her back to the here and now. Buzz quickly snapped back to the starting plate. Mind still on the conversation behind her, Buzzbot threw herself at the target and was rewarded with a shock that ran up her legs as she landed heavily on the fake cloud.

“That was certainly better.....” Wind Swipe called in an uncertain way and Buzz looked down to see the rest of the class watching at her in confusion. She didn’t understand why they were all staring at her that way. Buzz quickly checked her disguise was alright, reassured by the green coat still adorned her body.

Bemused, Buzz stared across at Tinker who was making flapping motions with his hooves and it began to dawn on Buzzbot that her fake wings were still tucked neatly at her sides. She had jumped the height of an average house without moving them once and every pony in the class had seen her do it. Gah sizzling servos.

With a sheepish grin Buzz stretched out her wings, flapping them feebly and pushing herself a little way into the air before sinking back down again. As the rest of the class all watched her with sceptical expressions. Wind Swipe coughed, “Very good Rinse. I...er have never seen a technique like that before, but it certainly gets results.”

“I er....” Buzzbot began before the sound of slow clapping could be heard. Everybody present turned as if hypnotised to see Discord, larger than life sitting in the stands next to Tinker Track.

“Bravo! Well done and all that!” He called out, the confused stares of the crowd changing to annoyance.

Wind Swipe glared at him before shouting out, “Mr. Discord, I would appreciate it if you would not disturb my flying lessons. It’s hard enough for these young ones to learn without you disrupting things.”

Buzzbot felt a surge of relief as Discord did his best to look innocent, “Why I hardly did anything at all, plus they were trying so hard that I simply had to help. Isn’t that what good Equestrians do?” As if to prove the point he snapped his fingers and all the class, along with their teacher, suddenly found themselves floating in mid air. “Plus it’s Dr. Discord thank you very much.” Discord added tetchily.

Buzz had to stifle a giggle as the now upside down Wind Swipe folded his hooves and glared angrily at Discord, “I don’t know why you're here Doctor, but you’re certainly not helping.”

Discord made a theatrical show of indignant hurt, “Well I don’t know, I try to stop by and help and this is all the thanks I get.” He snapped his fingers once more and the whole class bounced off the spongy floor, “As for why I’m here, well that’s because of this stallion.”

Tinker Track glared at Discord, the creature’s lion paw gently tapping him on the head in a playful manner, “You’re late for your appointment Tinker, I’m very disappointed in you.”

Buzzbot had to stifle another giggle at the sight of her dad being treated thusly by Buzz’s ‘uncle’. Every pony knew of Discord and his work with the mentally disturbed. Buzzbot saw Wind Swipe looking up at her with sad eyes, “Oh Rinse, I had no idea…..” He paused for a moment, “Okay class dismissed, I don’t think we’re going to get any further today.”

The other youngsters picked themselves up off the ground, muttering to each other as Buzz leaped down. She was extra careful to flap her wings this time and silently thanked Discord for his timely intervention. As Buzz touched down Wind Swipe trotted up to her, “Well done Rinse, I think you did really well.” Swipe’s face screwed up, “If you ever need somepony to talk to then I could....” He left the question hanging in the air before Buzz shook her head.

It felt a little wrong to deceive such a caring pony, but needs must, “No it’s okay Swipe, thank you for the lesson. I think I’ll get the hang of things now.” Buzz replied even as she watched the frowning Tinker and gleeful Discord arguing in the stands. “Plus dad is much better now, it was meant to be his final check up two days ago and I think he just forgot.”

Wind Swipe looked doubtful, “Well if you’re sure.”

Buzz put on one of her winning smiles, “Really it will be fine and don’t worry about me.”

Swipe’s face became softer, “Well you know where to find help should you need it alright?”

“Of course I do, honestly don’t worry,” Buzz assured him before trotting off to see what her father and uncle were arguing about.


“Discord, I can’t believe you did that to me!” Tinker practically shouted once they were back in the workshop. “You made me look a total nutcase in front of all those ponies!”

“One tries their best of course, but can’t get perfect results every time Tinker,” Discord countered, “Plus I was only covering for my niece, you understand that right?” He winked at Buzz who simply rolled her eyes while Tinker fumed.

“But you didn’t have to make me look like such an idiot while you did so?” Tinker snapped, “Now that whole room thinks I’m a dangerous mad pony who can’t take care of his daughter properly!”

Discord poked some of the mechanical cast offs lining Tinker’s shelves which sprouted tiny wings and began fluttering around the workshop, “Need I remind you that you were once a patient of mine Tinker. It’s my duty to check up on you every so often.”

Buzz, still disguised as a pegasus, could only smile as Discord turned to regard her as well, “Plus you took Buzz on flying lessons without telling me, shame on you.” He grinned indulgently, “I couldn’t pass up the chance to see my niece taking her first steps into the world of flight.”

As much as Buzz liked having Discord as an uncle, he did cause a lot of havoc. The whole situation, like most of Buzzbot’s life, was complicated. The only thing Buzz did understand was that Discord was instrumental in her becoming who she was today.

“That’s so sweet Discord and thanks for covering for me back there,” Buzz smiled brightly. Discord grinned wryly in return as the enchanted machine parts began performing a merry dance around his head.

Discord regarded Buzzbot with a cocked eyebrow, “Is it true what I have been hearing about you sneaking off to a changeling hive?”

Tinker snorted angrily, but Buzz wasn’t at all surprised. Discord had a habit of knowing anything he shouldn’t. “Yes.....uncle, that is the plan,” She answered cautiously.

Discord cocked an eyebrow, “You do know that Celestia is completely against it right?”

Tinker Track made a choking sound, “What? You can’t be serious!”

Discord made a huge show of frowning sadly, “I’m afraid so. Seems dear, sweet and kind Celestia doesn’t want anypony sticking their muzzles into changeling affairs.”

Buzzbot scrunched up her muzzle as Tinker Track let loose a number of interesting expletives and she made a mental note to find out what some of them meant. Her father wasn’t finished however, “I just don’t believe it; Celestia would never turn down a chance to help someone. You’re pulling our legs Discord.”

Tinker marched up to Discord and scattered the winged castoffs with a flailing hoof, “Well I’m on to your game Mister. Go cause trouble somewhere else.” Buzz had to suppress a giggle as she saw Discord rolling his eyes and making ‘yapping’ motions with his paw.

Discord raised his hand to his forehead, “You know sometimes I despair at you ponies: I come and help you out of a sticky situation.”

Discord paused, leaning in close to Buzzbot before whispering, “Nice jump by the way my dear,” Before resuming his lament; spreading his arms wide as if addressing a vast assembly, “Stepping in to save the day like a good friend and uncle should. Not only this, I come out of the kindness of my heart to warn you of impending danger and you accuse me of trying to deceive you?” Discord made disappointed ‘tuts’ as he shook his head.

Ignoring the fuming Tinker Track, Discord turned to Buzz once again, “Regardless the point stands: You are still going into a changeling hive my dear?”

Buzz paused, the ‘yes’ half forming on her lips before she faltered. There was a certain kind of dangerous excitement about going behind Celestia’s back, plus Buzz had just been chafing that she didn’t seem to have a specific purpose when this opportunity arose.

Finally it came to down two facts: Buzz would always wonder if she didn’t go through with it and it felt the right thing to do deep down. Her mind made up she grinned confidently, “You bet your horns I am, can’t let Tinker and Twilight down.”

Discord looked impassive for a moment, just long enough to make Buzz feel uncomfortable, before rubbing hands together eagerly, “Marvellous, I can’t wait to see the look on Celestia’s face when she finds out.” Discord flicked his claw and a pair of books suddenly appeared, one grasped in each hand, “These should be useful my dear.”

Buzz read the title of the first book and cocked an eyebrow, “Untold Myths and Secrets?”

Discord Beamed, “Why yes, one of my favourites; there are some wonderful stories in there that should keep you entertained on your journey.”

The other title was even stranger: The writing on the cover certainly not Equestrian, or any other language Buzz knew, “Thanks Discord, um....”

The Hive Cant of ‘Equinius Polymorphous’: a slang and insults guide.” Discord explained with relish, “With this little helper you can curse and swear like a changeling trooper. I have marked out a few choice phrases that you might.......” Discord was cut off suddenly.

“Discord, don’t you dare! I will not have you filling Buzz’s mind with such language!” Twilight called as she stomped into the workshop. The offending title was ripped from Discord’s grasp and vanished in a flash of purple light. Twilight looked him right in the eyes and snorted, “What else have you been telling them?”

Discord wore a look of affronted innocence, “Why princess, I have only been telling them the truth of course.”

Tinker ‘humphed’ and Twilight cocked an eyebrow, “Care to expand on that Doctor?”

The grin on Discord’s mouth could have sliced steel, “Simply explaining how Celestia has forbidden you to go messing around with changelings Twilight. Very wise of her and ‘all that’.” His face lit up, “But here I find to my delight that you all seem set on defying her.”

Twilight’s face was stony, “Celestia had decreed that Equestria makes no attempt to form diplomatic relations with the changelings. That’s not the same as what we’re doing here Discord and we are not defying her.”

Discord only grinned wider, “Semantics Princess, I knew there had to be a mischievous side to you under all those ordered lists and rules.”

Buzz grimaced as Twilight pointedly ignored Discord, “Buzz I have the lexicon of correct,” She glared at Discord who was still chuckling to himself, “Changeling languages for you.” Twilight levitated a tiny white data crystal, “This is all the information we have on changelings: I want you to study it carefully and then on the morrow we can finalise your disguise.”