• Published 21st Aug 2013
  • 11,520 Views, 367 Comments

Equestria meets the Vasto Lorde. - Phoenix Archangel



When an amnesiac Hollow appears in Equestria, will it spell destruction? Or something unexpected?

  • ...
32
 367
 11,520

Stupidity and a Damage Report

The next day...

Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo slowly trotted out of Ponyville Hospital. The normally happy-go-lucky CMC were each sad for the ponies that were being treated inside after the explosion three days ago, and silent as they brooded whatever was on their respective minds.

Which was abruptly broken when Scootaloo stomped on the dirt road, a child's anger coursing through her as she said, "I say we find whatever the hay did this and make it apologise."

This, naturally, drew looks of exasperation from Apple Bloom and confusion from Sweetie Belle as the former replied, "Ya mean find the critter that wen' an' beat Princess Luna up and make it 'pologise? How ya'll gonna do that?"

This stumped Scootaloo momentarily, before she smartly (to herself, anyway) stated, "The Everfree, duh. That has monsters, so whatever hurt Rainbow Dash and the others is obviously there." Apple Bloom gave a facehoof at this, sliding it down her face to retort when she noticed Scootaloo already buzzing off on her scooter with a determined glare.

"C'mon, Sweetie, better make sure she don't git herse'f eat'n," Apple Bloom sighed, trotting lightly before looking back to see Sweetie Belle looking nervously between the distancing figure of their friend and the Hospital. "Sweetie Belle?"

"Well," Sweetie started, fidgeting slightly, "Rarity and Mum and Dad are in the Hospital, along with everypony else, so shouldn't we, you know, try and stay out of trouble?" Apple Bloom gave thought for a moment, before agreeing with a nod.

"Well, then let's git Scoot so we can tell 'er that." Sweetie Belle nodded to that plan before the two raced off after the orange speck that'd just crested the last hill before the Everfree boundaries.

=========================

"So," Applejack hesitatingly started, "Yer sayin' these brace doohickeys'll help me buck apples?"

The doctor sighed before repeating himself, "No, Miss Applejack, these braces will help you walk by taking..." he took a quick glance at the report in front of him to reaffirm his guess before continuing, "roughly 80% of your weight off your hooves so that they don't hurt as much, and heal as fast as possible. Which won't happen if you strain your legs."

The braces in question were surprisingly simple despite the intricate look about them, not to mention fairly sturdy. They enclosed Applejacks hooves at four points, extending down slightly to touch the ground instead of her hooves, and ran up her legs to her shoulders. A series of straps and rings ran up entirety of it. With the bandages that wrapped around them, along with most of her body from lacerations due to debris as well as slamming through a wall, it almost gave her the appearance of having a Zebra's legs if not for the alternating black cloth and silver metal of the braces.

The doctor cut in before Applejack managed to open her mouth, "And yes, Miss Applejack, bucking apples counts as straining them. Too much strain and your legs healing will be set back even longer than it is now." Granny Smith, who'd blatantly refused to leave, to Applejack's mixed feelings of gratitude, annoyance and nervousness, spoke up.

"Whatcha mean, 'longer than it is'? Jist how long?"

He took a deep breath, before speaking Applejack's sentence calmly, "At least... six months." At these words, the room went quiet. Taking this as a cue, the doctor levitated a file beside him and withdrawing several sheets of black plastic. "Now, these," he began as he cast an illumination spell behind the sheets that showed a pair of bones with some mild cracking, with plenty of healed 'scars', "Are your hind legs about five weeks after attempting to buck a rock set in the ground some months ago." Applejack blushed in embarrassment to that, thinking, 'Stupid RD an' her drunk'n dares...'

Levitating more sheets out of a separate folder, the doctor performed the illumination spell again.

"And these... are your legs now." Granny Smith's inhale was audible to the doctor as she took in the shattered mess that was her granddaughters forelegs. How they were even in one piece...

"Any unnecessary stress will cause the fractures to completely shatter your legs and delay the healing process to as far as two years," here, the doctor's eyes looked at Applejack with a sympathetic plea in them; he had heard, of course, about the time Big Mac hurt himself and Applejack took over his share. "Please. For the sake of your legs, take it easy. Before you know it, six months are gone and your back to bucking apples."

Applejack's mane hid her eyes as she nodded, a tell-tale glimmer on her cheeks informing the doctor to say, "I'll give you time to get used to this," before leaving the room.

'I don't get paid enough for this,' Doctor Calm Report lamented internally as he sighed, before making his way to the next mare on his rounds; one Fluttershy. Crossing the distance between doors was too quick for his liking, as he knocked softly on the door to the patient's room. After a brief second to allow him to take a calming breath, he strode in to see Fluttershy sitting up; a broken wing set in a splint and a bandage wrapping around her head covering her eyes, with a few more around her barrel to protect the stitches beneath from being infected.

'Turns out her shyness is her saving grace,' Calm Report noted to himself as he browsed her medical chart, 'although the animals are a bit unexpected,' he added as he threw a quick glance around to spot a rabbit, a few mice, some birds of varying species and Princess Celestia's phoenix. Whom, he just noticed with a raised eyebrow and a slight smile, were currently rehearsing by the sound of it. He stood there and allowed the birdsong to relax him as it filled the room. As it ended, he made a note to find her after she was healed in the hospital and see if she was open to a date.

"Miss Fluttershy?" This announcement of his presence sent her flinching and trying to make herself as small as possible under the covers. Though this sight warmed his heart by the sheer cuteness of it, he was more preoccupied by the rabbit beside her rolling its eyes before hopping forward and dragging the covers off her head. The now red-cheeked mare turned her head left and right as though vainly attempting to find something to hide behind.

"Please, take it easy, Miss," Calm said, closing the distance between the himself and the bed, "I'm here to see how you're doing. Is that okay?" At the pegasus' hesitant nod, he cast a few spells to check that her wing was mending properly and the wounds on her sides were healing right. Once all was done, he looked at her bandaged face.

"I'd like to see if your eye...s," he said, catching himself at the end - she didn't need to know that she was permanently half-blind yet, "are able to see, if that's alright?" At her mumbled assent, he began slowly unwinding the bandage, a hazel aura wrapped around it, while keeping the pads in place while saying, "Please keep your eyes closed, they won't be used to the light just yet. When I say to, cover your eyes with your hoof."

As he neared the end of the bandage's length, he told her to hold her hoof up which was done. Removing the pads gently, he turned his attention to the curtains and light switch at the door, throwing the room into darkness that was illuminated by his horn. Taking a simple candle out of a cabinet, he lit it and placed it to the far side of the room which chased the darkness into shadows. Taking another calming breath, he turned back to Fluttershy.

"Now, open your eyes and lower your hoof, slowly."

~

Fluttershy gingerly lowered her hood, her eyelids flickering open. When they did, she felt panic when all she saw was black.

And then, she noticed a dim orange glow to her left. Blinking seemed to bring more and more focus to the world around her, until she could clearly see the light-hazel coat and ponytail styled mane of sea-green of the unicorn doctor at her bed, wheat coloured eyes apprehensive until he sighed.

~

Calm Report couldn't help but give a sigh of relief when he saw the teal eye that gazed at his own, iris and pupil reacting to the light the candle emitted. He quickly sobered when he remembered her other eye, a horrific flame-shaped scar continuing the pattern that crossed half her face. Her mane had been reduced to almost coltish, and her coat had suffered some extremely light burns.

Steeling himself, he gave a slight smile before beginning his job anew, "Well, it is certainly a blessing that you're able to see, miss," he allowed his smile to drop into a mild frown, "but unfortunately... your left eye was too damaged to be saved. I'm sorry we couldn't do more, but..."

"T-to be honest..." The mumbled stutter got his attention as she continued, a little louder than she started with, "I'm glad that I can see. Th-thank you so much..."

The gentle smile he got from her at the end would've required him to restart his heart if it'd been sudden. Coughing into his hoof and grateful for the darkness that hid his blush, he excused himself in order to get more candles to bring her sight up to normal and to continue his rounds before exiting the room calmly.

Only to lean against the wall to prevent collapsing outright onto the floor. 'Being that cute should be made illegal,' he dazedly thought, 'provided that only she be that cute.' Straightening himself, he flagged down a nurse and asked that Fluttershy's room be gradually brightened every half an hour. Shaking his head to clear it of daydreams of seeing that smile again, preferably with a garden background and a chequered cloth beneath them, he made his way to Shining Armour's room. On the way, he asked a nurse to bring up the equipment needed.

Giving a solid knock before entering, he saw Princess Cadence of the Crystal Empire sitting next to her husband, with, surprisingly, Twilight in the room. All three seemed in a serious discussion as they hadn't noticed. Grumbling a little to himself, he opened the door again before directing a pair of nurses inside.

Clearing his throat loudly, all three of the rooms occupants looked up to see Calm giving them a stern look before asking the nurses to return Twilight to her room. As they left, the nurse he'd tasked with grabbing the equipment came back before disappearing to do another duty. Taking a moment to wonder where they'd be without such hard-working staff, and not liking the scenario his mind conjured, Calm turned back to the couple with visible irritation.

"While I'm sure what you were talking about was urgent," he sarcastically started, "I'm afraid that, though you're royalty, while you are patients in a hospital, what I, a doctor, says is what you, the patient, does. And I expressly remember telling Miss Sparkle that she is not to leave her bed. And, by law, no one, not even the Princesses themselves, can counteract that," he raised an eyebrow at the now sheepish, and slightly offended, couple, "understood?"

With a nod from the two, he visibly brightened as he said, "Very good. Now then, Prince Shining, shall we get the measurements for your replacement leg?"

=========================

"Well, this is great," Sweetie muttered as she brought up the rear of the three as they clambered around the Everfree. Naturally, they'd gotten lost.

"Get out here, you weird monster!"

And worries of Manticores, Timberwolves or Cockatrices where growing larger with every yell Scootaloo gave in order to find the creature. Sweetie's eyes dejectedly rose from the back and looked around nervously before spotting something to the left, directing the other, now bickering, two to what she found. "Hey girls, what's that?"

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo put their argument on hold in favour of seeing what it was that Sweetie had found, which was a clearing through the trees. Trotting over somewhat excitedly, they emerged from the trees into what could only be described as a battle zone. Craters pocked the ground, splinters lay around trees both fallen and cracked, a weird substance was stuck to the grass and a weirder smell was in the air. While the Crusaders stared around in wonderment, they slowly began wandering around.

Applebloom found what appeared to be a fire pit, judging from the charcoal inside. Sweetie stared at a tree, seeing a vague outline of a large pony, which set her mind into overdrive. Scootaloo trotted over to a particularly large patch of the weird substance, which was where the smell was strongest. She tilted her head at the sight of it; it was dried, that much she could tell, but it had a slightly jelly-like look too it. As focused as she was on the stuff, she didn't fail to notice the shifting behind the trees. Looking up and squinting, she took a step forward only to feel something like mud.

Whatever she was looking at left her mind as she looked to see a reddish smear on her orange hoof.

"That is on what carnivores have long fed,
And what Princess Luna bled."

The sudden voice, no matter how familiar, sent all three jumping with a yelp before recognising Zecora. Who had a stern expression on her face, though offset by a weary smile. As what she said registered in Scootaloo's mind, she began furiously trying to get the blood off her hoof.

"Now, let's get you fillies three,
Out of the Everfree.

Your sisters are already very sore,
They need not your mischief weighing them more."

Looking at each other, the Crusaders began to speak. Only for Zecora's eyebrow to raise in a clear message that told them she wasn't accepting anything but a yes. So, the four began the route back to Ponyville.

As such, none noticed the shadowed figure that moved through the trees. It continued on its path until it found what it had searched for. Upon spotting its sought desire, it laughed to itself.

Before making its way into the Castle of the Pony Sisters.

Author's Note:

I'd just like to say this, right now;

I have NO clue how to tap out a Southern accent beyond the basics. So, if ya spot something I've messed up, comment and it'll be fixed ASAP.

Though I like to think I did fairly well with Zecora.

Oh, and we'll see Rarity, RD, Pinkie and Twilight's, as well as the others that were in the blast zone, injuries next chapter.