• Published 7th Aug 2013
  • 2,452 Views, 149 Comments

Flarity Group Collab - Jondor



100 - 500 word, prompt based mini-fics by the authors from the Flarity group here on FiMFiction. Because every shipping needs a prompt tag game.

  • ...
22
 149
 2,452

PreviousChapters Next
Gemstone - Karrakaz

Written by: Karrakaz

It was more difficult than she had anticipated; gemstones were a part of how she designed clothing. She used them ostentatiously on dresses for mares that felt neglected whenever they went out, or with subtlety when she wanted to pronounce a client’s best features. She knew her dresses were marvelous —of course they were— but without gemstones, they lacked something which made them truly magneficé.

Her latest client, however, had asked that the gem be devoid of any gemstones. The dress was supposed to be like the pony she was making it for: Understated, soft spoken, kind, meek... beautiful.

And it proving to be a lot more difficult to pull it off than she had envisioned.

Her creative process wasn’t helped by the pressure of the deadline and the simultaneous anticipation for said deadline to arrive.

Marriage!

She had wanted to scream it from the rooftops when Fluttershy asked her; had screamed it in the restaurant where it had happened at least once. After that she had followed it up with a stream of yeses that made Twilight relieved at not being the only one, and made her soon-to-be wife smile serenely.

Of course, Rarity had insisted that she design both their dresses herself. It simply wouldn’t do to wear somepony else’s designs on the single most important day of her life. She stopped pacing through her design room and deliberated for a moment. Okay, perhaps it was the third most important day of her life, closely following the one where Fluttershy had kissed her that very first time, and of course, being born.

She had started the evening Fluttershy had proposed, and continued on for three days straight, running on little more than coffee and elation. Her own dress had long since been finished, and was proudly displayed in the shop’s window with a sign that said ‘definitely not for sale’.

Fluttershy’s request had been, that her dress contain no ornamentation other than what the fabric itself allowed. That had been a lucky break. From the point where she could afford it, Rarity had been collecting two separate rolls of fabric. Luminescent white sun-silk, which was supposed to have made her wedding dress go down in history as one of the greatest pieces ever made. And shimmering, dark blue moon-silk, which at first was going to be a wonderful tuxedo for the groom.

She had since converted it into a stunning near-black dress which looked and felt like she was wearing a piece of the night. It was fairly heavy, with gemstones representing stars and a moon that would actually move across it, aided by her magic.

Fluttershy’s white sun dress however, was still sitting, unused, on the roll. Rarity couldn’t decide how to best bring out Fluttershy’s eyes and wings without using at least a few of the stones that also hugged her own flanks.

Her musings were interrupted when the target of her problems, and her joy, entered the shop. Fluttershy was holding a wicker basket in her teeth and smiled around the handle.

“Erro, Rarity,” She said, blushing a fraction of a second afterwards.

The dress was instantly forgotten and Rarity stalked over to her marefriend for a kiss, stealing the basket from Fluttershy with her magic. It felt every bit as wonderful as that first time, save for the fact that Fluttershy broke the kiss early and jumped up to grab the basket back.

“What is that, darling?” Rarity asked, arching an eyebrow in confusion.

“It’s uhm... They are flowers,” Fluttershy mumbled.

“And?”

“Well... I... I want you to use these for my dress, if that’s okay with you I mean.” Fluttershy’s reply was as meek as ever, and Rarity wondered what was so important about them.

“I will see what I can do, darling.”

Fluttershy nodded, setting down the basket and opening it. It was as if all of Rarity’s creativity had been hiding in the basket along with the flowers. When she saw the mix of white, teal and soft yellow flowers, Rarity knew what kind of dress she was going to make.

It would be light, airy, perfect for a pegasus, but with an embroidery of growing flowers along the sides, punctuated by actual flowers. It would be Fluttershy, embodied in a dress.

She gave her marefriend another kiss and found herself overwhelmed as Fluttershy aggressively warred with her and finally asserted her dominance.

Much like gemstones, which needed a lot of polish and care to highlight their brilliance; Fluttershy had shown that she was perfectly capable of being something other than the meek, shy pony she presented to the world. And Rarity was the lucky mare who got to see that other side.

The wedding was just a formality, but they would both look astonishing, regardless.

PreviousChapters Next