• Published 7th Mar 2013
  • 517 Views, 9 Comments

An Early Night - epreeses1



Luna is forced to learn friendship from Twilight, chaos ensues

  • ...
1
 9
 517

Chapter 5

Luna looked up, wondering how her little friend got so high when a gray mare ran away from the scene, carrying what looked like a little foal in her arms. It was very suspicious to her, but she couldn’t focus on that, for a certain butter yellow Pegasus was trying to take her only friend and Luna was having none of it.


Derpy flew faster than she had in a long time.

“Mommy! We need to save Pip!” Dinky cried. She didn’t see Luna catch Pip so for all she knew, her friend was dead.

“There was nothing I could do muffin” Derpy said, tears falling on her daughter’s head.

Not only had she drugged a colt and nearly got him killed, she drugged a friend of Princess Luna… The princess Luna. The one who everyone thought she ate your face off if you accidentally bumped into her on the street. While Derpy didn’t believe a single word of those lies, she couldn’t help but feel scared for herself and Dinky.

“NO! h-he can’t be gone he just can’t”

Derpy wanted nothing more than to comfort Dinky, tell her that Pip was okay, but she had to get home first. Dinky’s safety came first, so that was top priority


Before they had their current home, Derpy went from job to job, giving it her all to save up enough money so she and Dinky could have a place of their own, and not have to bunk at a friend’s house every night. One day Twilight noticed that Derpy was having a bit of trouble with finances; she was trying to buy a mansion when she hardly had enough money for an apartment.

Twilight took pity and decided to collect her friends and make her a house.

The grand unveiling was a big moment for Derpy, she and Dinky had just gone through a fight with a friend and had beenkicked out on the street and she needed something to lift her spirits.


Derpy landed on her lawn, she cradled Dinky and whispered comforting words, but she didn’t tell her immediately that Pip was okay. She only stared at her lovely home with a horror stricken face.


When the blind fold was released, Derpy gasped; Twilight made her a house that looked exactly like her favorite muffin. A red velvet muffin with white chocolate chips. Tears grew in her eyes, it was perfect and after she thanked Twilight and her friends about a million times. Her and Dinky enjoyed their first night in their brand new home, given to her for free, the only consolation was that she had to take good care of Dinky. That’s it!


Dinky’s crying grew in volume, bringing Derpy back into reality. “Shh, it’s okay Dinky, Pip is going to be fine”

Dinky looked up, sniffing “You’re sure mommy” she said

Derpy smiled, that loving smile that always made Dinky fell safe, like nothing was ever going to be wrong. “Yes, in fact, I saw princess Luna save him, so I know for a fact that he’s fine”

Dinky rested her head on her mother’s soft coat and let her last tears go. “Okay mommy I believe you”

“Good, now take the picnic basket in and start your homework”

“Okay” Dinky left her mother’s sweet embrace and headed towards the muffin like house.

When Dinky was inside, Derpy tried to get up, but she couldn’t. She stood there, horrible guilt warping her stomach, she felt like she was going to throw up.

Her house wasn't hers anymore, her favorite muffin was gone, replaced by the same kind of mushroom she used to drug Pip.

Derpy went up to the house and started banging her head against the wall, tears leaked from her eyes. “I didn’t ask for this” she said to herself. “I didn’t want this”. Her banging slowed and she collapsed on the ground in a heap. “I-I had n-no choice. I needed t-the money” Pinkie’s bribe was starting to tear at the pegasus’s heart.

“Mommy”

Derpy looked up, startled, it was Dinky, she had heard the banging and went to investigate.

“Mommy, are you okay?”

Derpy opened her arms, willing Dinky to come over for a hug. Dinky complied. “I’m so-sorry muffin”

“For what?” Dinky said looking up into her mother’s teary eyes

“I-I've done something w-wrong”

Dinky chuckled, nuzzling her mom “Oh you’re so silly mom. You care too much to do something wrong.”

Derpy smiled “You’re right muffin, but I still need to apologize to them and make everything all better”

Dinky broke the hug and smiled at her mother “Okay mom, while you do that I’ll do my homework”

The light purple unicorn went back into the house carrying the picnic basket for her mother so Derpy could collect herself.


Dinky went into the kitchen and placed the basket on the counter. As she went to go upstairs, her stomach growled. “Well, I can’t do homework on an empty tummy” she said climbing back on the chair to get at the goodies that were still in the basket. “Where’s that blueberry muffin I gave to Pip?”

Dinky looked for a couple of minutes until she found her prize.

“I wonder why this made Pip so happy, well only one way to find out”

She took a bite, and almost immediately, her world started to spin. “Woaaah” Dinky became dizzy, but at the same time, relaxed. Aches she didn’t know she had disappeared, her mind opened up and the room seemed to be filling with lava.


It took Derpy a lot longer to pull herself together than she thought it would. “Okay, first thing, I have to get rid of those muffins.” She got up and trotted into the house, wincing as she once more noticed the similarities of her house to the mushroom. “Dinky” she called out, it was really important that she knew Dinky didn’t get into the basket, if she did, she would never be able to forgive herself.

“Mommy!, Help!”

Derpy rushed, but when she got into the kitchen, she didn’t see anything wrong. “What! What’s going on Dinky!?”

Dinky who was standing on a stool like a housewife who saw a mouse. She put a lampshade on was was somehow hopping on two hooves screaming at the top of her lungs.

“Dinky, what’s gotten into you” Derpy had rushed, picking her daughter up. “and why are you wearing a lampshade?”

“There’s Lava mommy, LAVA!!” Dinky screamed, making her mother’s ears hurt.

“Dinky there is no lava, what’s gotten into you!?”

Dinky didn’t answer, she just climbed onto her back and started sucking her hoof and naming her others

“You’re wabecca” she said pointing to her left hoof. “You’re Donawd, and- Oh, you can be Pip, I wove you Pip”

Derpy was horribly confused, first Dinky complained that there was lava, now she was naming her hooves and talking like a baby.

Dinky’s horn suddenly glowed and a certain muffin made its way to Wabecca and Donawd

When Derpy saw the muffin, something clicked in her mind, something really bad

“Muffin… is that the muffin Pip ate?” Derpy tentatively asked, afraid of the answer

“Yep”

Now it all made sense to her…

“Don’t hog it awe wabecca, weave some fow donowd”

Derpy was being forced to rethink how and why she made those muffins, heavily laced with mushrooms.

“Oh no, mommy there’s a big snake in the sink!”

She had to, if she didn’t, than she wouldn’t be able to pay for her food and Dinky would starve and that would mean she would have failed the only task Twilight gave her.

Dinky hopped off her mother’s back, leaving her in a trance while she donned some pirate gear she got from the oven.
Hopping back onto her mother, Dinky climbed on her head and shouted “Onward”, swishing the muffin around like a sword as she somehow took more bites every time it passed her mouth

Derpy snapped out of it when a bit of muffin fell between her wall eyes. Looking up, she startled Dinky, who clamped onto her mother’s head “Mommy, I was standing there, why did you shake me?” She cried. A smile grew on Derpy’s face, even when she was drugged Dinky was incredibly cute, but that smile quickly died when she remembered that she was the one who got her high. With tears in her eyes, Derpy swatted the muffin out of Dinky’s hoof just before she took another bite.

“Mommy, I was going to eat that” Dinky argued as she jumped down from her mother’s head and took off the eye patch she was wearing, giving her mother the stink eye.

“Don’t you look at me like that!” Derpy’s tears had grown and into full fledged sobs “NO! this has gone too far, Dinky tell me you got hungry and accidentally ate that muffin”

“Nope, I wanted to eat that muffin”

Derpy felt her heart crack, not only had her daughter eaten the muffin she knew that she shouldn’t but she admitted it up front and her voice didn’t even quiver once.

“Dinky… do you know how much that hurts me?” she asked, hoping that her daughter had some sense of responsibility left in her

“Yep” Dinky trotted up to her mother and nuzzled her side. Derpy took the opportunity to trap Dinky, before anything else happened.

“Dinky, don’t lie, tell me you didn’t do this on purpose”

“B-But I did mom, I wanted to try the muffin, it made Pip so happy and I wanted to… hey, come back here Carrot, those muffins don’t belong to you”

Tears fell from Derpy’s eyes as her heart broke in two. She made muffins with drugs and her only daughter ate them, after she had told her not to. What made it worse was that she admitted to it like that, no hesitation, no nothing. Derpy looked down at her daughter, who was licking her fur like a cat. She hadn’t hesitated when she admitted it, that wasn’t like her at all, normally she would at least think about her answer... than a thought hit Derpy, could she only tell the truth!? Derpy had to know, she had to think of something to ask her that she Dinky would lie… but what

During her moment of thought Dinky bit her mother, she ran to the door, chasing an imaginary Carrot top.

“Dinky! Get back here!”

She turned around “But mommy, Carrot is stealing our food”

Derpy put her sternest face on “Get back here Dinky, now”

Dinky shuttered and ran back to her mother.

When Dinky returned, Derpy wrapped her in a squeezing embrace, immobilizing her. “Dinky do you love Pipsqueak?”

Dinky couldn’t fully understand where the question came from but she knew the answer “Well of course I do mommy, I’ve had a crush on him ever since I saw him last Nightmare Night”

That was a little more information she really wanted to know, but it proved that she couldn’t tell a lie… but that means.
“Dinky! What did Pip say today?”

Dinky thought “Well, he said that he lived under a tree, that he had no mommy and that he was a Pegasus” If Dinky couldn’t lie, that meant that Pip couldn’t tell a lie. He really is homeless and doesn’t have a mother!

Gasping, Derpy took Dinky to her room. She grabbed the blanket off of her bed and wrapped her up, immobilizing her and making sure she stayed comfortable

“Dinky, mommy will be right back, take a nap and you will feel much better. Trust me”

“Okay, but promise me you will catch Carrot and bring back our muffins”

Derpy kissed her daughter’s head “I promise”



A Celestial Interlude

Celestia didn’t call Spitfire back. In the ten minutes between calls, Celestia’s rage died and she took a logical view on the situation. “Okay, Rainbow Dash, you still have a chance to get into the wonderbolts, but if I find out that you threatened my Lulu one more time, that’s it little missy”

Celestia took a tense bite of her large slice of cake, as she tried to get control of her emotions. Then she looked back at the mirror like screens. “Why, it already seems Lulu’s made a friend. I knew this would be good for her”



Luna had put up a shield to stop everypony from taking Pip away from her. it was probably her fault he fell, and she was going to protect him from everyone if it killed her.

She entered the library, enhancing her shield to cover the entire tree. She put a specificality spell onto it, making it so that only ponies she trusted could get through. Taking a sigh of relief, Luna looked over at Pip, who was shivering like he was cold. “Don’t worry yourself too much little Pip, I’ll stay right here to protect you” Luna said as she nuzzled Pip’s sleeping form once more.

Twilight left to get her shopping done, leaving Luna alone in the now closed library.

Luna used her magic to drop the shades, pulling the library into complete darkness. The sounds of ponies trying to save Pip could be heard outside, but all Luna had to do was enhance her shield once more to send them packing.

Shuffling her saddlebags off, Luna made her way through the library, passing the bookshelves with ease as she made her way to her bed. She let out a content sigh as the soft embrace of her favorite, away from home, bed made itself known. When she was comfortable, Luna levitated Pip’s small body to the spot she made next to her on the bed. He was still shivering and, without skipping a beat, she draped her wing around the small colt.

That’s when something weird happened. Pip’s shivering stopped, but he started crying in his sleep. Luna gasped in shock as she saw each individual tear fall from his eyes. She was stunned as she could hear each sob that came from his mouth.”Oh, don’t cry young Pip, your favorite princess is right here. I saved you from the fall, and I won’t leave you” she said, but once she remembered that he was asleep, she realized that he was having a nightmare… “Not on my watch, hold on Pip, your favorite princess is on the way”

.


Luna found herself, not in a gigantic pirate battle where Pip was losing, or a castle where Pip was being chased down a dead end hallway by a blood thirsty vampire. She instead found herself in the Ponyville park. “Well this is an odd place to have a nightmare” she said as she began her search for the crying colt.

The princess of the night searched high and low for her quarry, under blankets, in squirrels nests, in a cloud, even under that great lyre playing pony. “This is really weird, normally I always find the pony I’m after in the last place I expect him to be.”
“Do you mind?”

“Oh sorry, um it’s Lyra right?”

“Yes, now could you please put me down”

Luna nodded and put the weird and strangely obsessed pony back on her bench before continuing her search.

Luna roamed around the muddy planes of the park when she heard a soft, almost inaudible sob. “Hello” she called out, wondering if it was Pip

There was an awkward splash underneath a tree followed by panicked sobs. “Pip, it’s just us, your favorite princess”

Luna patiently waited for a response, but her patience level was the same as a bomb with a short fuse. “Okay, if thou doesn’t come out here Pipsqueak, than I’m just going to have to come in”

No response

“Okay, thou asked for it” Luna moved stealthily, like a ninja when a thought hit her. Why was she even giving him the option of coming out when she could barge in there and save him from whatever terror he was in. She didn’t give Dinky that right when she was being attacked by a giant Pip doll with lipstick and a bow three times bigger than his head, nor did she give it to Snails when he thought Snips was going to kill him with a pair of scissors. No she barged in there, guns blazing in a way, and solved the problem, before going off into the night receiving nothing but praise and admiration for her heroic deeds. Why was this different? Why did she have to take a more gentle approach?

Sick of her thinking, Luna stuck her head under the tree only to find something she never expected. Inside the muddy hollowed that seemed to be pony made was in fact Pip, but that’s not what made this find so… out there. It was the fact that he seemed to have been crying for quite some time, and his fur was a complete mess. Not only did his little spots disappear under a heavy coating of mud, but it looked like his mother never brushed it at all. Besides him was three apples that looked to be well beyond their expiration dates, one of them had a bite mark and there seemed to be a worm crawling out of it.
“Did thou?” Luna asked, hoping Pip didn’t make that bite mark.

Pip nodded and held his head down in shame.

“Why Pip? Those apples are probably full of nasty things, and why are you in a gigantic mud pit, and why is your fur so dirty?” Luna lit her horn, dragging Pip out of his hole. “You’ve got a lot of explaining to do” Pip tried to run back into the mud hole and hide, like it would solve all of his problems, but Luna kept a firm grip on him with her magic.

The tree squirrels seemed to quiet and the grass felt like it was turning, waiting for Pip to explain why he was under that tree, but Pip refused to answer, instead he started to cry.

“This is not like thou Pip, why are’t thou so afraid? Where’s that pirate we saw, fearless and determined?” Luna asked

Pip turned, the quiet becoming too much for him and prepared to spill his guts. “L-Luna… I’m all alone, I have no one to love me, not even my parents care about me”

Aside from the soft thump Pip made as he fell out of Luna’s magical grip. The world went silent, nothing made a squeak as Luna stood there, baffled. “What does thou mean Pip? We do not understand these accusations thou makeist against thou’s parents”

“Luna, please, I don’t want to explain myself, just go, leave me in my misery.” He headed back to his mud hole “I’m not worth your time” he would have gotten back if Luna didn’t light her horn again.

“Young Pip, you really expect me to leave you alone when it’s my duty to protect my friends from nightmares” Luna levitated Pip up to her face, she almost immediately regretted it because it seemed that Pip hasn’t had a good bath in quite some time. “Pipsqueak, when was the last time you had a bath, because thou really smells” Luna pulled Pip away from her nose, almost offended my his body odor.

Tears welled in Pip’s eyes once more, and he covered his head with his hooves, fearing the consequence of insulting a princess with his personal hygiene.

“Well we’re just going to have to do something about that aren’t we”

Pip felt the world spin, making him feel sick to his stomach. When everything stabilized, he heard the pop of magic being used, guessing it was the rock where his head will be cut off and used as a symbol to those who dare insult the princess of the night. The sound of running water hit his ears, maybe she wasn’t going to be so kind, maybe she was going to drown him, laughing as the life slowly left his body. He felt movement, this was it, his life was going to end.

His life didn’t end, he instead felt warm water envelope his body like a mother’s embrace. Opening his eyes, Pip saw Luna, not glaring at him, not wielding an ax that was going to take his head off, but a bar of soap. She smiled… Luna was smiling at him, not ready to kill him, but to clean him?

“You’ve done a lot for us Pip.” Luna started rubbing Pip’s fur, getting all of the loose mud off of him “Because of you, I understand why people are afraid of me.” All of the tension in Pip’s body released as the warm water did its trick. He collapsed, making Luna hold him up so he didn’t go underwater “You’re my only friend that actually treats me like a friend, not like a princess, and if you say that no one loves you, then I’ll be your first”

Pip started crying again, making Luna confused. “Pip why are you crying? You’re supposed to be happy that I’m giving you love, not sad?” Pip slowly entered into the dream world yet again, but before he passed out, he muttered one word “Momma”


Derpy flew to the library, she didn’t exactly know who to talk to, but she did know that she could talk to Twilight Sparkle about anything. She had done so much to help her and thus she had Derpy’s trust.

Derpy entered the long abandoned library, passing the force field that Luna unconsciously put down. “Why is everything dark?” Derpy asked herself. She lifted one of the shades, shining just enough light so that Luna became visible. Derpy turned, noticing the dark blue wing draped over something.

Moving closer, Derpy looked underneath Luna’s wing… it was Pip! “Pip, Luna wake up, I’ve got something to tell you about Pip”

But instead of waking up, Luna’s body pulsed. It pulsed, turning Luna’s beautiful blue coat pitch black, also Derpy saw a set of magic armor that she’d thought she would never see again.

It was the armor of Nightmare Moon

Derpy screamed, fleeing the library before she could tell anyone of Pip’s secret

Author's Note:

This was one of the chapters that i was itching to write.
Sorry if the Celestial interlude wasn't all that you hoped it would be. Celestia is an overprotective sister, but she uses logic so i had to do it like that.
I've been noticing that my paragraph's structure has changed, so please tell me in the comments if you think i'm getting better or worse. if you think the latter, than please explain why. i don't mind negative criticism, i just want you to explain it so i learn.
I feel like Will Smith, Becouse my life just got twist turn upside down. I want to change the updates from two weeks to one weeks, but i can't sorry

In closing, Please comment, i need to know if i'm doing this right... and a couple of compliments go a long way... sorry i had to

Comments ( 1 )

This story has been reviewed by: The Equestrian Critics Society

Story title: An Early Night

Author: epreeses1

Review by: BronyWriter

A rather stereotypical story that is taken pretty much from the show itself. Luna is sent to Ponyville to learn about friendship, just like Twilight was. It takes place sometime after the events of Luna Eclipsed, and features a weak, jumpy storyline, messy dialogue, and no characters to speak of.

Full review

Final Score: 2/10

Login or register to comment