• Published 7th Mar 2013
  • 517 Views, 9 Comments

An Early Night - epreeses1



Luna is forced to learn friendship from Twilight, chaos ensues

  • ...
1
 9
 517

Chapter 3

Twilight was scrambling her friends together to find the princess when she was rammed by Rainbow Dash

“Rainbow, how many times do I have to tell you to stop using me as a target”

“Sorry Twi, I just came to tell you that princess Luna went to the town hall to find Pipsqueak”

Twilight stared at her friend’s sudden information “How do you know where the princess went?”

“Well duh, I heard her yell at Pip and she said that she wanted to apologize to him”

“I thought you were going to say that you knew because you are so awesome that there would be no way you wouldn’t know” Twilight mockingly said

“That too”

Dash, rubbed the back of her head, an action that Twilight had seen way too often and it generally meant she did something bad.

“What did you do Dash?”

Dash facehooved and moaned “you see Twi”

“Dash.. what did you do?” Twilight didn’t like where this was going at all.

“You see, I kind of threatened to beat her if she didn’t put a lid on her royal canterlot voice”

“YOU WHAT!!” Twilight yelled getting up in Dash’s personal space

“Look I’m sorry-“ “Sorry won’t stitch you back together when Celestia finds out that you threatened to beat her sister”
Dash tried to hide her fear but Twilight could see the pegasus shaking in her fur.

“Okay, Okay I’ll go with you and apologize to Luna if it’ll stop Celestia from skinning me alive”

“Good, now let’s go, I have a schedule to keep” Twilight said trotting towards the town hall where Dash said Luna was
“When don’t you have a schedule to keep Egghead?” Dash said following while hovering in the air.


The two spent about a half an hour looking for the lost princess and the colt

“Where in Equestria could they be?” complained Twilight after walking from town hall to the Nightmare moon statue, to the school yard and back to the library

“I wondered when you would get back Twilight” a voice said as soon as the duo set foot in the library

Twilight looked up and saw Luna at the top of the stairs, a duster held in her magic aura.

“Hi Miss Sparkle, Luna and I were cleaning your ‘ouse as a way to say sorry for leaving you” Pip said running up to the violet mare.

“Pip, where have you two been? You’re not hurt princess!” Twilight said rushing to check for any injuries that the princess might hold

“Twilight I am fine, no need to panic over my safety, I am clearly capable of keeping myself from harm” Luna said “I just needed to say sorry to Pip here for yelling at him. Actually it was his idea to clean your home”

Pip beamed, getting praise from his favorite princess.

“Well aren’t you the little gentlecolt” Twilight said, rubbing Pip’s mane getting a few giggles.

“Thanks miz Twilight, I also want to say sorry for making Luna mad”

“Geez, what’s with all of the sorrys being thrown around?” Dash asked

Twilight turned and glared at Rainbow Dash as Luna told Pip not to be sorry.

“Don’t you have to say sorry to someone as well Rainbow?”

“Yeah yeah, don’t turn into a hard boiled egghead” Dash said with a nervous chuckle, buckling under Twilight’s glare. “Luna I’m sorry for threatening you earlier” the sorry slipped out of her mouth like an ice cube from a block of ice, resisting at every step.

“I accept your apology Rainbow Dash, just be happy my sister didn’t hear you; she gets a little too protective of me, like a mother with her child you know?” Luna said unaware that her sister heard every word and will punish Rainbow at some point, when, nobody knows.

“Yeah, I got it Luna don’t tell Celestia.” Dash said heading for the door “Okay I’m off to finish the storm that is set for tonight, make sure you get home safely Little Pip, I don’t want any more mothers trying to skin me alive for bringing some kind of harm to their children”

“Okay Dash I promise that I will make it home safely before the storm” Pip replied.

Everyone said their goodbyes to Dash and the door to the clean library was shut


A Celestial interlude

Celestia was relaxing in Luna’s room watching her beloved sister progress in the magic of friendship

“Now let’s see how you are coming along dear sister” she said taking a bit of a banana

The bedroom itself was much darker in coloration than Celestia’s, with a black wallpaper that was covered with stars. On her ceiling, Luna had accurate renditions of her favorite constellations, Orion being one of them.

“Oh what trouble are you going to get into this time little Lulu” Celestia said using her sister’s pet name

She was on Luna’s round bed, in front of her was a yellow portal showing Celestia everything Luna saw.

“But don’t make it a habit, your title of princess of the night won’t stop my hoof from beating you senseless”

“What’s this, did Rainbow dash just threaten my Lulu!?” Celestia said shocked “Well I know one pony who will never get into the Wonderbolts, no matter how many sonic rainbooms she does. Time to talk to Spitfire”

Celestia focused her magic and, like turning the page of a book the portal soon showed an image of a yellow Pegasus mare with a fiery mane and tail.

“Spitfire, I need a word” Celestia said through the portal

Spitfire slipped on something white and when she came into view again her yellow cheeks turned orange from a sudden flush

“Oh princess, what do I o-owe this honor!?” Spitfire said trying to hide her body from view.

“Am I interrupting something captain?

“Oh, no, umm actually yes you are”

Celestia put on a motherly face “I wouldn’t be interrupting you and Soran’s fun time now would I?”

Spitfire’s blush grew and it all made sense in the princess’s mind.

“Well don’t let me stop you, go on have some fun”

There was a poomf sound and the background became a bright yellow

“No, please stop putting those images in my head princess. How many times do I have to tell you? Our relationship is strictly professional”

Celestia put a hoof to her chin “Then might I ask what you are doing then?”

“NO! now please, uh, please call me back in ten minutes”

“Oh come on Spitfire, I saw the white stuff you slipped on and I heard a moan what els-“

“I’m taking a shower okay, you startled me and I slipped. And that moan you heard was my hoof scuffing the tub!”

“Oh, sorry, I’ll call you back in ten minutes, like you asked”

“Please”


Back at the library

Pipsqueak and Luna were taking a nap on a big blue pillow Luna brought with her.

Luna was still tired from being waken up at such an early hour and decided that now was a good time to catch up; Pip on the other hand resisted and wanted to stay up and play with Luna while Twilight researched how to teach Luna about friendship.

Pip’s resistance crumbled when he realized how tired he really was and once Luna laid down and opened one of her wings. Pip was underneath in a blink of an eye, using the wing not only as a blanket but also as a shade, keeping the sun out of his eyes while he slept.

Twilight looked up from one of her friendship reports; she kept copies of each and every one of them just in case she needed to look back. She looked up and smiled, it reminded her of the early days of her tutorage with Princess Celestia.

Celestia treated her more like a daughter, she taught her manners along with magic. Celestia was more of a second mother then a teacher to Twilight.

“They’re like mother and son, don’t you think Spike?”

Spike had finally regained consciousness and , after cleaning the mess in the kitchen, joined Twilight
“Yeah, Luna looks like Pip’s long lost mother”

“Spike” Twilight said with a giggle “Luna is an eternal goddess and Pipsqueak’s just an earth pony, there’s no way she’s his mother”

“Twi, I was just making a comment, and I said that she just looks like his long lost mother, not that she is”

Twilight caught her mistake and giggled more

“You’re right Spike, oh what’s with me and my crazy imagination?”

“Don’t know?”

Twilight giggled a bit more and went back to her reports


About an hour later, the pitter patter of rain started up. Both Luna and Pipsqueak were still asleep, neither of them noticing the rain.

Twilight had fallen asleep in her studies and was drooling on one of her latest friendship reports.
Then there was a clap of thunder.

“Gyaa!” Twilight shouted, waking up with a jump.

Princess Luna slept straight through the loud bang and Pip didn’t even notice since wings made a good sound barrier along with its other useful functions.

Twilight put a hoof up to her chest and took a few deep breaths to calm herself down “Wow, that was one heck of a wakeup call”

She then looked at the clock and noted that it was time for dinner

“Spike!”

“Wha, huh?” Luna stuttered waking up ‘yawn’ “What time is it?”

“Oh hello Luna, did you have a nice nap?” Twilight asked

Luna got up and stretched, “Yes thank you for asking. Did Pipsqueak go home already?”

There was a murmur beneath Luna, looking down she saw the pinto colt doing what looked to be searching for a blanket
“Does that answer your question?” Twilight said giggling

Soon the murmur grew into a whimper then finally a word “Huh?”

“Hey there sleepy head, did you have a nice nap?” Luna cooed

“I’m not a baby Luna” Pip said, agitated “But yes, I haven’t slept that well in a while, thank you”

“Well, I was just about to have Spike prepare dinner for us.” Twilight said “Would you like to stay Pipsqueak? Or are your parents going to be mad if you come home with a full stomach?”

“Why would they be mad Twilight? Wouldn’t that be a good thing if little Pip here came home not needing food?” Luna asked

“No, if Pip’s parents made dinner, but Pip came home with a full stomach then their efforts and food would go to waste”
Pip watched as Luna and Twilight bantered over such a simple question, making it sound really confusing to the young colt.

“Stop” Pip yelled, quelling the argument. “I don’t think my parents would mind if I come home on a full stomach because even if they made dinner, they could save it as leftovers for another time”

Spike had one of his claws raised and was about to stop the fighting, but now stood there like an idiot, trying to figure out whether to say something or go back upstairs and pretend he heard nothing.

“There you are Spike, please set two extra plates for our guests” Twilight said

“Okay Twilight” Spike said hopping into the kitchen.

While Twilight and Luna relaxed, Pip bounced about eager to enjoy a good meal.

“Pip, please calm down. The food isn’t going to come any quicker if you bounce around like that.” Twilight said
“Oh, sorry miz Twilight, it’s just… I know you’re good at cooking so I can’t wait to try it”

Twilight just rolled her eyes and chuckled “Yeah, are we talking about the same Twilight? Because I set fire to the kitchen the last time I tried to make an omelet”

“Yeah let’s go with that.” Pip exclaimed bouncing some more.

“Umm Twilight” Spike said from the kitchen

“Yes Spike”

Spike appeared from the door to her kitchen, a little pink apron was around his scaly waist

“We only have enough food for three tonight”

“Oh, that’s right. I was planning to go shopping tomorrow.” Twilight looked down a Pip sympathetically “Well I’m sorry Pip, but I guess you’ll just have to have dinner at your house”

Pip’s smile disappeared and his head drooped

“Nonsense Twilight, didn’t you see how excited he was to enjoy your cooking?” Luna said “Just let him have my portion, I had a big breakfast”

There was a gasp and Luna noticed that Pip was hugging her leg like he had this morning

“Thank you so much Princess, thank you thank you oh thank you”

“Oh this won’t do, Pip I’m sorry but if anyone eats, it’s the princess” Twilight said, accenting the word princess to make sure her point was made.

Like a balloon deflating, Pip’s energy disappeared. “Okay, miz Twilight. I guess I’ll be heading home now”

Luna looked at Twilight “You can’t be serious Twilight, no I will not sit by and have my friend walk home with no food”

Pip’s ears perked up

“Luna it’s protocol that no matter what happens, the princesses must be fed, so once more I’m sorry Pip”

Pip moved back to the door

“DON’T MOVE ANOTHER STEP YOUNG PIP!!!”

Princess!” Twilight hissed “Don’t give him false hope, you know just as well as I do that this is how it need to happen… or do I need to tell your sister?”

Luna looked at her friend, her head drooped and she felt horrible, but she couldn’t let Tia know about her breaking protocol “I’m sorry Pip, but Twilight’s right. I can walk you home if you want?”

“No, I’m a big colt and I don’t want you getting wet. My pa says that’s not gentlemanly” Pip said sorrowfully
“Okay, but do you want an umbrella?” Twilight asked

“No, I’ll be fine, please enjoy your dinner.”

“Well, if you say so Pip, I shall be here tomorrow we can… play then” Luna said

Pip forced a smile “That would be great Luna, well I will see you then ladies”

He opened the door and entered the downpour

“Hurry home, I don’t want you to catch a cold” Luna shouted

“I will”


Ponyville park was one of the main attractions in the small town. There was Lyra and her beautiful lyre, playing hypnotizing melodies and the scenery was so breath taking that Ponyville park holds the highest number of marriage proposals in all of equestria. That is, when it’s not being assaulted by a thunderstorm

Pipsqueak was underneath a large oak tree. After he ran away from the orphanage in trottingham he stole his pirate nightmare night costume from a filly. It tore at his heart and he was tempted to give it back, but he knew that he would never get any candy if he didn’t have a costume.

“I’ll be fine” Pip mumbled, a half hearted pep talk to get him through the storm

In the base of the tree were Pip’s only belongings, a teddy bear that had multiple holes in it, and a small ripped blanket designed for a newborn foal, it was nowhere near big enough to cover his body.

While fillies like Dinky had a nice warm home, with hot chocolate and a mother to comfort them when the storm gets scary; all Pip had was the dirt stuck to his coat

“I-I’ll b-be fine”

The only sound in his little hut was the sound of roaring wind and the downpour of the rain that was rapidly turning his dirt bed to mud.

“I’ll be f-fine”

Pip’s stomach rumbled; the last thing he ate was a rotting apple that Applejack ignored while she was collecting apples; that’s why he was so devastated when he wasn’t able to have a real meal.

“I’ll b- ‘hic’ be f-fine”

There was a loud clap of thunder, it startled Pip so much that he hit his head on the ceiling of his shallow room.
“I-I’ll be ‘sniff’ f-f-ine“

All this talk of his pa was a façade, he never knew his parents, they left him at the orphanage with his little teddy and blanket.

Pip broke down into sobs and clutched his poor excuse for a teddy bear like a drowning person would cling to a life ring.
“I w-won’t be f-fine! I’m hungry, I’m c-cold, I’m scared and… and I want my mommy!”

Pip cried himself to sleep like usual, but this time he was tormented by the bit of comfort he got under the protection of Luna’s wings, wishing nothing more than to have his blanket back.