• Published 20th Sep 2012
  • 3,742 Views, 37 Comments

A Rainbow's Shadow - slowlearner46



And unknown secret comes out and an old threat rises again.

  • ...
2
 37
 3,742

Chapter 3

A warmth passed over Rainbow Dash not unlike the warmth that could come from Celestia’s sun. It went through her very soul, the same that was currently being corrupted by darkness and a burning cold. The two forces clashed at the epicenter of Dash's being. Though these forces were not physical, they nearly ripping her apart from the inside. The warm, almost kind presence inside her was pushing back against the unforgiven, malevolent existence that was already inside her. She could feel her bones tense even more than before.

"Rainbow, are you even listening?" Twilight turned around, wondering why her friend was being so quiet.

What she found was cyan hooves hovering over her head menacingly and a face etched in pain behind them. Twilight didn’t move from her spot, but instead stared at her friend in worry. Rainbow Dash was almost as still as a statue, except her body slightly trembling all over.

“W-what are you doing?” The frightened mare let out in a shaky breath, watching unknowingly as her friend fought for control. Rainbow Dash ungracefully dropped to her knees, shaking worse than moments before. Twilight’s worry switched fully to the shaking pegasus rather than her own safety. She tried to help her up using magic, but that caused a scream of anguish from Dash.

The pain was reaching unbearable levels as the two forces fought inside her. She could hear distant screams in her soul, but couldn’t recognize any of the words through the pain. Rainbow Dash fell to her side and into a fetal position as the pain got worse. Twilight stared in shock, not knowing what was happening or what to do.

Face scrunched in pain, Dash let out a barely audible plea.

“Help.”

Twilight snapped out of her own shock and ran back to her study desk. Writing with more urgency than she ever has, she finished her letter to celestia and sent it away with a flash of purple magic.

She was about to gallop out the door to get her other friends, but feared that leaving Rainbow alone may not be a good idea. Said pony was curled up into a tighter ball and was shaking fiercely.

Twilight reached into her reserves of magic, lighting her horn. A second layer of magic formed, brighter than the last. With a loud pop, Twilight found herself where she expected to; inside the Sweet Apple Acres barn.

Looking behind her, Rainbow Dash was still curled in a tight ball. Thankful that her teleportation went without incident, she began to scan the fields for her apple bucking friend. On the horizon the Apple orchard took covered all points of view. Twilight scanned the bottom of the trees in the distant. There, she saw one of the trees shake, dropping their fruit in the distance. Her magic welled up again and with another subtle pop, she disappeared.

o.0.o

It was just a normal day for the apple farmer. She woke up before dawn, feed the livestock, and started the daily chores. She was always up an hour or so before the others. Granny was too old to do much, Applebloom would whine at being up at that hour, and it was near impossible to get her brother out of bed earlier than he intends to. Sure he was a hard worker, but he liked his sleep almost as much as Applejack loved her apple trees. Everything went as planned that day, except for one small discrepancy.

“Ah wonder where Rainbow’s at? Ah haven’t seen her all day.” Applejack said to herself. She had to do something to entertain herself while she did most of her jobs alone, and having small conversations to no one in particular did just that. It wasn’t exactly talking to herself, more like an active imagination.

Rainbow usually visited the farm once or twice a day. It wasn’t like her to not come, or at least not without letting Applejack know before hand. Looking up at the sun, she figured it was around two in the afternoon and that she should be done with her chores by around 5. Even though she loved doing her job, she also loved to spend time with her friends and sometimes she finds herself rushing to do so.

Applejack loved Rainbow Dash’s visits. They broke up the monotony of the day. Dash would hover on a cloud and they would talk for an hour or so. It was something to look forward to when she woke up. Sure she got visits from the others every now and then, but it was never just to talk. There was always favors to be asked or adventures to go on.

Applejack sighed inwardly and bucked the tree behind her, dropping the red fruit into the baskets besides it. What she didn’t expect was the purple unicorn that dropped right on top of her, leaving her on her back.

“What in tarnation ar-”

“No time to explain, I need your help.” With a flash, they disappeared.

o.0.o

Rainbow Dash was beaten up and scratched. Small twigs were sticking out of her mane and tail, which were in complete disarray. Her wing’s feathers were anything but groomed and some were sticking out crooked. Breathing heavily, she got up on her hooves to look at the pony across from her.
“I WON!” Dash shouted, letting her dirty wings straighten with her body. The earth pony across from her was equally scratched and messy.
“No...Ah won!” Applejack corrected her, narrowing her eyes.

“I won!” Rainbow narrowed her eyes to mirror Applejack.

“You tied!”

“Tied?!” Both of them gasped, looking up at the little green dragon in the hot air balloon. “For first?” Applejack asked hopefully .

“For last.” The pink earth pony exclaimed with a smile on her muzzle.

“Last?”

“Then who won?”

As if on cue, Twilight came out of the crowd that was now surrounding the couple, a medal flush with her chest and a forty two on her flank. Taking a pose, she looked smugly at the two.

“You?” Both of them gaped at the bookworm, who then explained how she only got 5th place and even though she was slow, she saved enough energy to outrun most of the ponies in front of her.

“I can’t believe it, Twilight...beat us!” Rainbow Dash said in shock, eyes wide looking at her friend.

“Well with all your horsing around, it was quite easy.” Twilight pointed out. There was a small pause where no pony spoke, but it wasn’t long enough to be considered awkward. It was Applejack that broke the silence.

“You're right, Twilight. Our behavior was just terrible.” Applejack drawing circles in the ground with her hoof in silent shame.

“We weren’t very good sports.”

“Sounds to me that an important lesson was learned.” From past the group of ponies around them, the princess towered over them. Shock set in for the surrounding ponies at the impromptu visit from their goddess and ruler. Celestia walked with her head high, looking over her subjects. With all the formalities and surprise dealt with, Celestia and her student talked about friendship and what the group has learned that day. Celestia took a look and Applejack and Rainbow Dash with a small smile.

“Now, unfortunately, because the two of you were busy tricking each other instead of shaking down leaves, many of the lovely trees of Equestria are still covered.”

“Why, Princess, I bet we can knock those leaves down for you lickety-split. Whaddya say, friend? Wanna go for another run?” Applejack nudged Dash with her shoulder.

“I’d love to stretch my legs.” Rainbow smiled back, bending her leg and flapping her wings before taking off in a rainbow blur. Applejack reared up and shot off the line to gallop after her friend. They ran side by side through the forest, bringing their heads together with open smiles adorning their faces and leaves falling from the trees they left behind.

o.0.o

The sun was low in the sky, creating a beautiful, orange glow that reflected off the apples adorning the trees around them. Rainbow Dash loved it. The apples reminded her of a certain pony.

Sweet Apple Acres stretched across rolling hills as far as the eye could see. Some hills could give a view of the whole orchard and even the top of the town hall in the distance. Applejack was leaning against one of the farms first trees. It was an old macintosh tree that stood upon the highest hill the orchard had to offer. The view was magnificent, from there she could see almost all of Ponyville glow from the setting sun. Despite the beauty, that wasn't what was on her mind. The only thing she cared about was the Pegasus whose head laid on her lap.

The two have always been close to each other, but love has overtook them these past few weeks. There were no awkward moments between them through their realization. Both of them kind of expected it in a way. Neither have said anything for the better part of the hour, letting the warmth of the other’s body to speak for itself. Dash let the soft breathing of Applejack to lift and lower her head as she rested it on her lover’s stomach.

It was Rainbow who finally broke the silence between them.

“I’m sorry for being a jerk today.”

“Hush now, I was just as bad.” Applejack said sincerely, petting Dash’s mane.

“No,” whispering sternly, “I was also the first to cheat in the race. So let me be sorry”

“Rainbow, ah don’t care about any of that. It was a silly competition. Just leave it at that." She brought Rainbow closer to her in an affectionate way to keep her quiet. It didn't work.

"It’s not alright though Applejack. You're my friend and I don't want to do anything to lose you. I don't know what I would do if that happened." The last sentence almost bringing tears to her eyes.

"You will never lose me Rainbow, and I will never lose you. Ah promise." She brought her marefriend closer to her body, nuzzling her to make a silent promise. She would move the world for her.

o.0.o

Applejack found herself trying to get up after a sudden burst of magic sent her head reeling and body falling to the floor.

“Now what makes you think you can just take me away like that Twi?” Applejack groaned, rubbing her head to try and soothe her new headache.

“Y-you need to help me, it-it’s Rainbow. She’s---there’s something wrong with her.”

The urgency and pain in her voice made her turn to around instantly at hearing the word ‘Rainbow’. Seeing the sight before her, all other thoughts left her mind in an instant, leaving her to take in what she saw.

Rainbow Dash was still in a tight ball on top of a pile of hay, but her shaking has gotten worse in the second Twilight left to get Applejack. It was violent enough to almost be called a seizure as her body convulsed. Ever convulsion cause Rainbow Dash to grunt in pain. Tears were rolling down her face and into the bales of hay.

“What’s happening Twilight?!” Applejack panicked, running to her friend and holding her tight. The mare in her arms was kicking her hard, but she just held tighter, trying to make her stop.

“Make her stop,” tears flowed down her cheeks, “Rainbow, please...stop.”

“I’m going to go get more help. Stay with her, I’ll be back as soon as possible.” Twilight teleported away and left the couple behind.

Applejack didn't even noticed she left, she didn’t even know she said something. All her senses were focused on the mare shaking in her grasp. Wrapping her arms around Dash’s neck, she tried her best to embrace her in a hug, despite the shaking and muttering.

“We’re gonna get you better Rainbow,” Applejack could only choke out her words, “Ahm going to do my best, Ah promised I would never lose you.”

She started to rock her friend, who was still violently shaking, like a mother trying to get her foal to sleep. Tears still rolling down her face she put her head against Dash’s face.

“Ah promised.”


Comments ( 13 )

I want to thank >>Skydragon for pre-reading this chapter for me and spending the time to make this chapter (hopefully) a better quality than the last two.

I will soon go back and fix the previous two and do my best to make it more readable.

Thank you all again. :rainbowdetermined2:

Hay RD is having a seizure induced by an evil ruler named nightmare moon :pinkiehappy:

Well not yay coz I don't like the fact RD is in pain but oh we'll good fic

At first i was all :pinkiehappy:
cuz new fic to read
then i was all :rainbowhuh:
what's up with RD's eye?
then i was all :fluttercry:
cuz there's no new chapter
then i was all :raritydespair:
cuz there still is no new chapter
now i'm all:flutterrage:
cuz i want a new chapter naooooooo
:trollestia:
Anyway, I love the start, the story is very original, even tough a little confusing:derpyderp1:
and i can't wait for more like this:yay:
You really have a true talent for writing, when i read your comment saying it's your first fic i was kinda "meh" but after that, i see it's really awesome:raritystarry::heart::pinkiesmile::twilightsmile::yay::rainbowlaugh::ajsmug:

I NEED more. Not want- NEED.

I LOVE IT BUT NEED MORE:flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage:

I think this story has a "want it need it" spell on it cause need it

That is an awesome cover ;D dis is gonna get interestin' :derpytongue2:

(note: spelling/grammar errors are on purpose just for fun)

:rainbowkiss: I love it :heart:
but when chapter 4 out I whana know whats next but to do that chapter 4 must be out :duck: plz say when it will be out
:heart::raritywink:

When will chapter 4 come out?

QUESTION!!!


When does the next chapter come out?

Chapter 4 is needed NOW :flutterrage:

Hot dang this is intense, CHAPTER 4 IS NEEDED NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do you know what I think would make this story better A CHAPTER 4

Login or register to comment