• Published 4th Dec 2018
  • 7,401 Views, 2,810 Comments

The Potion Shop - Ashfur



There's a secluded potion shop in a small little town. Its owner is... eccentric.

  • ...
12
 2,810
 7,401

PreviousChapters Next
Fashion-consious Miss Alchemist

The silence in the room was deafening. Of the three ponies in Carousel Boutique, one was stunned silent, one was quietly dreading the moment the silence finally broke, and the third was observing the fiasco with solutions already on her mind.

"Rarity, I am so, so, so, so,"

"Sweetie Belle." Rarity's voice was level, yet carried a mix of disappointment, anger, and disbelief. Of course, nopony would blame her, seeing as her little sister had just spilled a milkshake all over the dress she was in the process of showing to a very, very important client.

Rarity sighed. She'd talk with Sweetie later, right now she had to handle the business side of things. Turning to the third pony in the store, she cleared her throat. "Ahem. Miss Dazzle, I sincerely apologize for my sister's actions. I promise, I can have a new dress ready for you in a few days at most, and I'll happily offer you a discount for your trouble." There was no doubt about it, this was the worst. possible. thing. Razzle Dazzle was notoriously fussy about outfits and many a fashion designer had been dropped by the temperamental starlet in the past. Granted, it was often for 'fashion' designs that looked more like modern art, but few knew that.

Razzle Dazzle, meanwhile, had caught the dress in her magic, and was analyzing the stain with an experienced eye. Milkshakes were usually milk and sugar, and it was pink, which likely meant strawberry flavor. Add in the fact that the admittedly gorgeous dress was 100% star silk, and it was still fresh…

"Lady Rarity, I do not think I will need you to make me another dress." She internally giggled as she watched Rarity visibly sag, and Sweetie Belle cringe in dread. "You won't need to make me another dress, because if you grant me a few minutes in your kitchen, I can fix it."

"Wh-what?! Darling, that's star silk! You of all ponies should know that it's impossible to get stains out of it!"

"Mayhaps for any normal pony," Razzle smirked. "But with all due respect, I am 700 years your senior, and I have been practicing alchemy for well over 600 of that. My skills are second only to the grandmaster alchemist of legend," she felt her heart flutter as her mind drifted to her beloved. "There are very few potions I cannot brew. You there. Sweetie, was it? Why don't you come with me? I'll make you a new milkshake as well."

"R-really?" Sweetie Belle sniffled a little bit, genuinely stunned at the starlet's understanding and kindness.

"Of course! I love foals. One day, when I have one of my own, I plan to set a good example for them. Celestia knows my stallion wouldn't… but that's neither here nor there. Come along."

The pair departed to the back of the store, and before long the sound of running water and clattering pots could be heard as Razzle bent the kitchen to her will. The number of alchemists that could reliably operate without a dedicated lab were few and far between, but Razzle was more than skilled. Not quite a match for Arca, but still leagues above any mortal.

Jingle

"Oooo, a bell!"

Rarity's focus immediately shifted to the stallion who just entered the shop. And she nearly grabbed her fainting couch on the spot, because she had never SEEN a worse looking getup! His mane looked like it hadn't seen a brush in months, and if it wasn't bad enough that he was wearing a lab coat, it was covered in so many faded stains that—

Jingle jingle jingle jingle jingle jingle jingle

"...Erm, excuse me, sir, but could you please stop swinging the door around?"

"Oh, sorry!" Arca stepped into the building fully, smiling warmly at Rarity. "Is this the clothing store?"

Rarity blinked twice. "...Yes, yes it is. Welcome to Carousel Boutique, where everything is—“

"Awesome! I was hoping to get a new fancy coat, since my old one got, uh… exploded."

"You clearly need a new outfit! Darling, that lab coat looks more like a drab coat right now. Give me that, I cannot in good conscience let you walk around in that!"

A quick application of magic and Arca found his lab coat teleported off of him, revealing…

"...Really, darling? Why are you wearing a lab coat under your lab coat?!"

"In case I lose one, duh."

"Well, I cannot take your measurements for an outfit if you are wearing one! And believe me, you look like you need one. Honestly, what would a mare think if she saw you like that?"

Arca pondered for a second. "Hm… she'd probably say, ‘Oh, Arcie I wasn't expecting you here! You look positively dashing!' And then she'd try to kiss me."

Rarity shook her head in disappointment. This colt must be delusional! There was no way that any mare would say that to a stallion in a state like this, it went beyond her comprehension!

"But, I'm getting ahead of things. Here." Arca reached into his pocket and pulled out a scroll emblazoned with the royal seal, offering it to Rarity. Her eyes widened upon seeing the emblem, but she took it in her magic and opened it to read.

Rarity,

I apologize for not approaching you in pony, but I have been busy with helping Twilight with some ambassador paperwork. The pony who probably just tried to enter through your window instead of the door is Arcane Catalyst, a close friend of mine. It is not a state secret, but he is an alicorn, but is horribly nervous about his wings. The poor thing views them as a deformity. I try to find a tailor for him that I trust every time his current one retires, and I can think of no pony better than you for that role. You will of course be compensated accordingly.

P.S. He's about as loony as Pinkie, so be prepared for that.

-Princess Celestia

Rarity read the letter again, feeling sympathy for the pony in front of her.

"Your tail looks like a drill."

Yup, definitely just like Pinkie.

"Well, darling, I would happily help you with some outfits. A friend of the princess is a friend of mine. Would you be so kind as to take off that other coat of yours so I can get some measurements?" Upon seeing Arca hesitate, she added, "We can use my storage room, I promise nopony will see you."

"Th...thank you," Arca replied very quietly. It was always hard to open that secret up, too many bad memories. Thankfully, Celestia always found ponies who didn't mind. He suspected she used bribes.

Rarity paused for a moment. "Actually, darling, you may need to wait a moment. I do have another client in here right now, and if you're nervous, then-"

"Alright, we're done! I promise I will reimburse you for the things we took from your fridge, but thankfully the stain was easy to remove." Razzle strutted out of the kitchen with Sweetie Belle in tow, wearing the dress Rarity had thought ruined. Somehow, the colors seemed even more vibrant, too. "I told you there was no need to- Oh! Arcie, I wasn't expecting you here! You look positively dashing!"

"Oh, hi Razzle! Heh, called it." He smiled at his close friend. "Nice dress!"

Razzle smiled, flicking her tail seductively. "You like?"

"Yeah! And I can tell you made it better than it was, I can just barely smell the scent of potion from it. Good job as usu- HEY!" Arca stepped back, shocked at how quickly Razzle had closed the gap and kissed his cheek. In a flash, she strutted out the door, leaving a bag of bits for the still-stunned Rarity. "Gah, now I gotta brew another potion."

"...for what?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"I think I got a fever. Razzle always makes me feel warm and funny when she does things like that."

Author's Note:

"Must be a succupony thing. It's been happening for decades... my heart's beating faster, too."


Since a lot of you ship Arca and Razzle, I'm gonna let you all weigh in on wether you want them together or not at some point. Let me know.

PreviousChapters Next