• Published 1st Aug 2012
  • 3,385 Views, 81 Comments

Equestrian Ending - StapleCactus



Dex is freed after 1000 years and learns of his fate. The end of the trilogy.

  • ...
4
 81
 3,385

The End

[3 months later]

“C’mon, Dex, only a few trees left to buck!” Applejack shouted towards me as she slammed her rear hooves into another tree. I stood nearby, shaking and panting from exertion after clearing nearly four acres of trees, unable to keep up with her stamina. Looking over the last bit of field to go, I saw just how right she was. Only three trees stood with their delicious apples hanging from branches.

I had completed my therapy a few weeks ago and was finally up to helping everypony that had helped me. Regular visits to Ponyville allowed me to work on my magic with Twilight and pay off the self-proclaimed debts I promised myself to clear. As soon as I was able, I stopped by Rarity’s boutique, and ended up modeling for her new line of stallion clothing as payment. Just last week, I had helped Pinkie in Sugarcube Corner, both to learn how to bake with my new form and to pay her back for all her teaching.

The last apple fell from the last apple tree as I struggled to throw my weight into the buck. As soon as the tree was cleared, I dropped to the ground and lay there. I heard hooves trot over to me and I raised my head to look at Applejack grinning down at me.

“Well, ya did it! Ah’m mighty proud of ya, Dex,” she said.

“I don’t think my legs are too proud right now,” I responded as the aforementioned appendages twitched in the beginnings of relaxing.

“If yer too tired ta stand, I guess you won’t be needin’ any lunch!” she added playfully.

At the sounds of food, my stomach voiced its opinion and I forced myself up. My legs complained, but I remembered that walking off after exercising is important. We came up to the farmhouse slowly and I was met with a wonderful sight.

On the front porch, Granny Smith was sitting in her chair, rocking away, while Riches lay at her feet and listened intently to a story. Panacea was setting drinks and food down on a table nearby as Big Mac strolled over from the barn. Apple Bloom, though, had to go to school.

“Hey, Pan,” I said as I got close. She glanced over at me and set a pie down. Once she was free, I walked in close and nuzzled her. “How was your morning?”

After a week, Panacea started to believe the story Riches and I had told her. Then, about a month later, and after a lot of time spent with us, she agreed that it was true, something I think Celestia had a part in as well. Since then, Pan and I grew closer until we started officially dating.

Yesterday, Riches, Pan, and I all decided to take a day off and visit our friends. The Apple family, being as courteous as farm folk are, agreed to put us up for the night. So, in return, we all did our own small part to help.

“It was fine, until you came along and covered me in sweat,” Pan said with a smile as I pulled away from our embrace.

“Fine, fine. I’ll go wash up first.”

Everything was wonderful.


[2 years later]

“Dad!”

“Yes, Riches?”

“Where’s the sieve?”

“You mean the colander? I’m using it.”

“For what?

“...For pasta?”

“I need it for my science project!”

“...” Good thing I washed it first, who knows what that filly uses the kitchen utensils for.

“Also, Dale needs a change!”

“You’ve done it before, Riches.”

“But I don’t want to!”

“Please? I’ve got my hands full in the kitchen.”

“Hooves!”

“Whatever!”

Time goes by so quickly. One minute, you’re enjoying some time with friends, and the next, you have a wife and kid.

A few years after I became a pony, I managed to snag Panacea as my wife. It was the greatest day of my life, far better than what I ever thought possible. Stone was my best man, or stallion, as I’m being corrected. The ceremony was wonderful, but nothing compares to the life I’ve lived since that day.

Riches, through some strange series of events, most likely due to her own influence, became our daughter. She’s grown up to be a fine young mare. Her talent in psychology shouldn’t have surprised me as much as it did when she came home after school and ran around the house, trying to show off her cutie mark to anyone who would look.

Then, we had a foal, a little blue pegasus we named Dale Wind. And no, I have no idea how that happened. Hush. He is a wonderful addition to the family and his wild nature is sure to get on everyone’s nerves when he grows up.


[8 years later]

There’s not much to say, only that I’m filled with pride in these moments.

Riches graduated university classes in psychology.

Dale learned to fly and got high marks on his tests.

Stone found himself a wife.

Panacea and I went on an airship cruise for our anniversary, after I got a patent accepted for improvements to Equestria’s electrical design and Pan accepted a full doctorship at Canterlot Medical.

Life is wonderful. Friends are always nearby during the hard times and good times. I’ve never been happier.


And that’s how my story ends. I had a wonderful life and I’ll never forget all the friends I made in the end.

Harmony called me occasionally through the years. It felt like she didn’t get too many ponies to talk to and just wanted someone as a friend. One of the Titans is my friend; now that was something I never thought would turn out to be the case.

Twilight, Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy have always been my friends through everything, and I love them all the more for it. I’ll never forget you all, even now.

So, here I am, old and tired, and I felt like writing down my story. Panacea is a wonderful wife and I hope she can live long enough to see our great-grandkids be born, since I don’t feel that much life left in me. All in all, I think I made the right choice. Thanks, Discord.

--Sir Dex the Shield, Senior Knight of the Solar Guard, age 86

Comments ( 20 )

It doesn't help reading this after you've had one of those 'sit down and think about life, what you're doing with your life, and life after death' kind of moments while listening to this for reading music. :fluttercry:

Also, unless you're adding an epilogue, you forgot to change the tag to finished.

about time you put the last chapter out. :derpytongue2: just kiddin'. or am I?:duck:

1038704

Sorry about that, FimFic was acting wonky and I just wanted to get the chapter out quickly before another 502 hit. I've had those moments, actually. I'm going to put up a blog post about this story in the morning after people have had a bit of time to look at the last chapter.

1038720

I waited 24 hours to get a bit more limelight. I know, milking the feature box, but hey, it's the feature box. :twilightblush:

1038841 excuses excuses. :derpytongue2: now back to work slave! those stories wont write themselves:flutterrage: love your stories :eeyup:

Well, the only thing left is more Inventor/Dex fights.

Man...epic story. I still kinda wish that Dex had gotten to keep all that power, but that is just me...uhh...>_> <_< I don't know how to describe it :twilightsheepish: Anyway as Focusphobia said I cant wait for the Inventor/Dex crossover series to be updated :pinkiehappy:

meh I'm ok with the ending...however I was hoping for A LOT more struggling.

This.....is the end?
Sniff.....waaaaaaaaahhhh:fluttercry:

Anyway! Aw, its nice to see that he, in the end, had a happy end :pinkiehappy:

OH! maybe the next stories will be about Dale Wind? :pinkiegasp:

1032798 1044460

I was hoping it was more Dex's story than mine. I wanted his choice to feel like it was actually his, not some ultimate plan that I made up for him. If he chose chaos, I would have wrote something for that. I don't know, I'm still trying to get into the character's heads.

Secondly, I was really hoping the story would be more about Dex and not about what he was. Human or pony, it doesn't matter. Or at least, I wanted it to feel that way --where Dex chooses what's best and not if he wanted to stay a human or become a pony. (and by 'doesn't matter', I mean him being him, not about the whole chaos releasing thing)

1038841 this was a good way to end it

You should write an alternate ending in which he chooses chaos.

*jedi mind trick* you will write MOAR! Dangit! I forgot I have hooves!

I was listening to this

when reading.:twilightsheepish:

1071262 Griffons have claws, close enough -activate Jedi shenanigans- *you will write more*

3509724

Well... it's been well over a year since I got a comment on this story. Tell me, if I could get in the mind of Dex again, what exactly would you want me to write? Dex's story is essentially over.

Unless that was a pass at me writing more, in general. Which, of course, I'm attempting to do. There's a few stories I'm writing at the same time right now. :twilightsmile:

3509893 ... welp... you have found the flaw in my logic... there isn't really anything else to write off of is there?

3509957

I can only see two paths. One, I write the alternative ending (one I see a few people wanted). Or two, I write Dex's life as a pony. In either case, I would have some difficulties getting back into his character after the developments that have occurred since this story's release.

Dude I absolutely love your stories, what is the alternative ending anyway I haven't been reading that long?

5255222

The alternate path would have been him choosing Chao's proposal. After essentially dying in the human world, Dex couldn't even think of Order's plan as a possibility.

And then, once a year, I get a comment on this story that makes me want to go back and rewrite everything... What to do...

A GOOD ENDING...a bit simple...but satisfactory.

Login or register to comment