• Published 1st Aug 2012
  • 3,385 Views, 81 Comments

Equestrian Ending - StapleCactus



Dex is freed after 1000 years and learns of his fate. The end of the trilogy.

  • ...
4
 81
 3,385

A New Beginning

“Ugh, damn sun.”

Wait... The sun!

My eyes snapped open, only to be forced closed by the burning light. I tried to roll over, the different body design proving very difficult to maneuver. Argh, why did I think this was a good idea?! After much struggling, in which my new appendages flopped about somewhat uselessly, I managed to flip onto my belly.

With the sun no longer trying to fry my pupils, I opened them to see a grassy field. Ah, this again. Alright, now just wiggle around until I figure out how to stand. I tensed the muscles I was familiar with: thigh, shoulder, abdomen, neck. Then, I stretched them out until all four legs were extended. I tried a knee and an elbow, finding the translation between human and horse to be similar enough to move. Finally, I tried wrists and ankles, feeling stumps move instead of hands and feet.

This is so weird. Alright, basic motor functions are good. Normally, I don’t need to think about this so maybe if I... I pushed off the ground with my front legs, but the rear ones bent down instead of up at the knee like I was used to, forcing me to scoot back and lose whatever balance I may have gained. My butt hit the ground and I stabilized in a sitting position I had seen ponies do.

Halfway there! Now lean forward a bit... not that much! “Oof.” I landed face first, but now my back legs were in a position to stand. With a bit more maneuvering, I managed to stand on all four limbs shakily. Aha! ...How do I walk?

I looked down to see beige legs and attempted to move the left one. As I did so, I put all my weight in the other three legs until I put the leg back down a few inches in front of the other foreleg. Quarter of the way there! ...Which one came next? I stood there, one leg stretched out from the others, perplexed. Before I could decide my next move, a voice interrupted me.

“Are you alright, mister?” I slowly turned my head as I continued to try to keep my balance. Pinkie Pie, of all ponies to find me, looked back at me with her head tilted and a confused look on her face.

“Honestly? No, I’m having a hard time learning how to walk.” I hoped that she would help me somehow, but I should have known better.

“That’s silly. You’re a full grown pony, not a baby. How would you have gotten here if you didn’t walk? Oh! Were you a griffon or a bear and somepony turned you into a pony? But that doesn’t make any sense. They walk on four legs too.” Pinkie continued to ramble and I was stuck listening to her as I could not concentrate on walking. Eventually, she let up for me to speak.

“I’m just...” I trailed off, because I realized I couldn’t tell the truth of my past now. I could change everything if I did. “Can you help me? Please?” I was desperate for some tips, even from Pinkie.

She agreed, but had no real useful information, as she kept referencing how to jump. I gave up on that avenue and asked her to just walk back and forth in front of me until I learned how to do the same on my own. At first, she would put too much hop into her step, until I asked her to do it slowly. After the fourth pass, I figured out the movements.

Alright, I need to lift my back right a moment after I start to put down my front left. Then, when they are placed, do the same for the other two. Don’t stop in the middle or I’ll lose balance. Here goes nothing! Back right moved into place a bit behind the front right, then front right moved moments before the back left. I was throwing my weight around like crazy and nearly slamming my hooves down on the ground, but I was walking. Very poor walking, but walking!

I came across a problem. I didn’t know how to turn. “Pinkie, how do I turn?” I asked nervously; I was headed straight towards the forest edge.

Pinkie was surprisingly patient with me as she taught me what any foal would have learned quickly. Once I had learned to turn, I started practicing until the sun began to set. Luckily, it seemed that my strength as a human transferred over, as I wasn’t tired. “I’m sorry about wasting your time, Pinkie,” I said as I turned around another time. I was nearly ready to enter Ponyville without getting looked at funny, I hoped.

“It’s alright. Always glad to help a friend in need!” she responded as she walked beside me.

“A friend?”

“Of course! Anypony who knows my name must be my friend!”

Well, that answers why she didn’t ask how I knew her name. Being a pony definitely helps this redo. I caught sight of my tail and noticed the two-toned blond hairs when we pulled a quick turn. “I’m sorry, I haven’t introduced myself yet. I’m Dex,” I said as we completed another lap.

“I’m Pinkie! Of course, you already knew that, but I had to return the introductions! Oh, that reminds me, I was coming over to give you a big Ponyville welcome!” She stopped and I continued for a moment before turning around to face her.

“What stopped you then?”

“I rushed over as fast as I could, but then I saw you flailing and thought you were possessed or something and didn’t want to get possessed as well, so I stopped and watched you for a moment and then I realized there was something else wrong with you so I decided to come up and ask you if you were alright and then you said you were learning how to walk and-”

“That’s enough, Pinkie,” I said as I held up a hoof to stop her. Before I could continue, I was hit with the realization that I was standing on three hoofs. Slowly, I looked at my extended leg and started to think about my position. Somehow, standing, walking, and pointing all became natural in the course of the day.

“How am I... Nevermind. I think I’m ready to walk freely now. Thanks again, Pinkie.”

“Oh, wait! You should come meet my friends!” She grabbed my hoof and started dragging me into town. I unconsciously managed to stay on my feet as we continued our little dance all the way to the library as Pinkie ignored my efforts to walk on my own. Am I going to repeat everything that happened on the first day I arrived? I really hope not.

I felt like I was replaying my life. Sure enough, I met all of Element bearers just as I had last time. A small party, instead of a town-wide event, was made to welcome me when I asked that we keep things simple and I even repeated a few conversations with them. As the sun set below the horizon, I wondered where I was going to sleep and how I was going to get by without money.

“So, where ya stayin’, Dex?” Applejack asked just as I was about to panic.

“I’m not sure. I just arrived without thinking about it, I guess.”

“The hotel should still be open for you, darling,” Rarity chimed in.

“That brings me to my other problem.” I managed to wave a hoof over myself. “As you can see, I don’t exactly have any bits on me.”

“I found this pouch next to you earlier! What about it?” Pinkie handed me a small denim bag designed to be strapped over my shoulder. As it hung from my hoof, I peered into it to find it empty. So the Titans gave me my ‘clothes’ but took everything else. Makes sense, I suppose, since it was money from the ‘future’.

Just as I was about to lament my situation, some bits fell into the pouch as I stared at it. I looked up to see Rarity stepping back and smiling. “That should get you started, dear,” she said.

“Rarity, I... Thank you. I’ll pay you back one day, count on it,” I said as I looked between her and the money.

“Think nothing of it.”

I will pay you back, Rarity. I promise. “Thank you, so much,” I said as I attempted to toss it on my back. Of course, it only caught my back before sliding off and hitting the floor. I turned to stare at the thing. Oh no, how do I put this on? They’ll think it’s strange! Then, I tried to pick it up in my mouth, but leaning over that much almost made me fall over from the loss of balance.

Pinkie Pie giggled and grabbed it in her hoof before slinging it over my withers. She then brought the lower strap around and buckled it before tightening it against my shoulder. “There you go!” she exclaimed as her friends looked at me oddly.

I decided it would be best to avoid any further questions. With a round of nervous farewells, and another expression of gratitude to Rarity, I headed out to the local inn and got some much needed rest. I left the pouch on, so I didn’t have to deal with it the next day.