• Published 1st Aug 2012
  • 3,385 Views, 81 Comments

Equestrian Ending - StapleCactus



Dex is freed after 1000 years and learns of his fate. The end of the trilogy.

  • ...
4
 81
 3,385

Punishment

“IT IS.”

A voice or sound filled my ears after a long, long time in solitude, or maybe it was just a few seconds. I couldn’t be sure of anything, anymore.

“IT WILL FACE US.”

I felt myself turned and twisted around in that empty space until I beheld three lights. From left to right, they were blue, purple, and red. I floated there, confused.

“IT WILL GREET US.”

I found my voice and said meekly, “H-hello? W-who are you?”

“WE ARE THE TITANS.” Then, they spoke individually.

Order,” said the blue one in a stoic voice.

Harmony,” said the purple one, sounding like a song.

ChAoS,” said the red one in a constantly changing pitch.

“I am Dex.”

“WE KNOW WHAT IT IS.”

“I am Dex, not it.

“IT IS IT UNTIL IT IS TOLD OTHERWISE.”

“What?”

Harmony spoke up. “You have changed your name many times. We call you what we wish.

Ah, okay. I guess that makes sense. “Why am I here?”

“IT IS OUT OF TIME. IT WILL FACE ITS PUNISHMENT.”

“My punishment? I don’t even exist to anyone now, what other punishment could there be?”

“IT MUST BE PUNISHED FOR ITS CRIMES:

IT DESTROYED THE EMBODIMENT OF CHAOS IN THE PHYSICAL PLANE.
IT BROKE THE RULE OF ORDER IN ATTEMPTING TO REVIVE ONE LONG DEAD.
IT BROKE THE RULE OF TIME IN ATTEMPTING TO CONSOLE ITSELF.
IT INTRODUCED IDEAS AND CONCEPTS NOT FIT FOR THE TIME IT ARRIVED.
IT SHOULD NOT EXIST IN THIS DIMENSIONAL REALITY.”

Also, you are completely unstable. There’s no easy place for you in our dimension,” Harmony added alone. “Not that it is a crime, but you are difficult to account for.

I... I did do all that, didn’t I? What are they going to do to me?

“IT WILL HAVE A CHOICE IN PUNISHMENT.” Really?!

It WiLL bEcoME my CHaMpion aS thE nEW SpIRIt of ChAoS.

It will return to its own dimension with no memory of its time here.

You will take the form of a being here, starting on the day you arrived, but none will know who you are. Everything will reset to that day.

“OR IT WILL DIE. CHOOSE WISELY.”

Oh, man... Well, option four is out, so I have becoming Chaos, returning, and becoming pony. I’m sure returning is out of the question. I’m dead there, and even if they returned me to when I was in a coma, I feel like I’ll be stuck in the same routine I had before. So option two is out because of the same reason I had when Twilight tried to send me back: I would be much happier here.

Become Chaos’ embodiment or become another citizen of Equestria? If I became the Spirit of Chaos, I could protect everyone from Discord. But what if Discord had a similar option? What if he did it to save everyone and the chaos got to him? Changed him? Am I strong enough to prevent that from happening to me? I don’t really feel confident, but I’ll keep it in mind.

Everyone will forget me if I choose the third option, and that is exactly what I fear the most. Can I live without anyone? Maybe I can reunite with them, even Stone? Discord would be back and imprisoned, but as a pony, I won’t have the Chaos leeching off me to release him. So, it’s time to make a choice: universal reset or shield from ultimate chaos? I weighed both options over and over, the Titans watching me with extreme patience. After a long time of second guessing myself, I decided to stop questioning and just do.

“I am Dex the Shield. Knight of Celestia’s forces, sworn to protect Equestria from all harm, even myself, if I must.” I paused, letting my life wash over me, all that I have seen and done weighed upon my shoulders. The future and the ones I love. My greatest fear, I had to overcome. “Let those I have met... forget me and all my creations, for it is best that I am forgotten.” I will find you again, Pan, Riches, Stone. “I only ask that I be a unicorn, so I may continue to protect those I care for with everything that I am, as only my mind can.”

“YOU ASK OF US, AFTER ALL THAT YOU HAVE DONE. HOWEVER, WE WILL ALLOW IT.”

Harmony floated in front of the others and said, “Your mind will stay, so that you will remember your crimes. I will be your guardian, Dex, just as Chaos is Discord’s and Order is the Alicorn’s. Use this wisely, for I only grant my power when the need is great and harmony must be restored.

All of your crimes will be wiped, but do not make the same mistake again. We are giving you this one chance to start over.

“Thank you. I will try my best.” I thought about what I created. “Can I still work on things, like electricity?”

Don’t invent something that has no purpose existing yet, but improvements are always allowed.

“WE HAVE SPOKEN.”

Power flowed out and in and around and through me. The loss of my power and the magic used to change me became too much for me to stay conscious. I collapsed in that void and let sleep take me.