• Published 28th Jul 2012
  • 15,445 Views, 426 Comments

Within The Seas of The Galaxies - Soothing Stone



What will happen when Luna discovers she has a crush on Twilight.

  • ...
41
 426
 15,445

Retrospection: Author's Notes II

Apologies, but this felt strongely needed.

---------------------

It has been a long, long time since I came to write WIthin The Seas of The Galaxies, and not as long since I finished it. LIke I had written in the first Author's Notes chapter, it was a nice feeling to finally move on to something else after working on a story as long as that.

This won't repeat anything I said there, but more or less looking back at this story and giving some new insight into how things went and how I view the story today.

In short, I think I would like to say that the time between then and now was some of the roughest periods of my lifetime. Remember when I had something about suicidal tendancies? It got worse, and I cane close to ending it all several times. I am considering seeing a doctor whenever things clear up, but there's a bunch of issues right now that have to be resolved before i can do so.

But how do I view the story now?

That is the million dollar question.

I feel divided about it, and how I feel about it can range from thinking it was quite an accomplishment to bring to its state to thinking it was one of the worst mistakes of my lifetime.

Whenever I reflect back to the process of writing this story, I remember all the pain and doubt that I had experienced. As I had said before, I came close to tearing down the story as soon as the first chapter, The early negative comments cut deep and they still do. It's one area I seriously need to fix, but it came to being that it was also from serious self image problems, but nevertheless the critism was not something I could take well.

And then I remember the feeling that I was throwing all my effort and resources into a story that was not worth a damn. I mean it too. I had to stop several times because my emotions were so out of whack that the idea of writing another word to it was just stomach churning.

In the end, a part of me only remembers how heart breaking it was to do this. I wanted to quit, I wanted to never write another fanfic again, I cancelled plans to do a grimdark sequel where Spike finds out that Twilight gave herself the Alicorn Spell instead of Rarity and wanted revenge for it, and it just spilled over to Fallen Apple, my next project, but that deserves a post of its own.

But on the other hand...it does help that I got a huge outpouring of support and praise for this. I got PMs from users I had never met that expressed the most sincere amount of love for my story, and sometimes I wonder if they read a different story.

Not to mention, this became my second most popular story ever on FIMFiction. My most popular is, of course, Pinkie Pie Discovers Coffee, but WOW it amazes me to see this. Did it come as easily in views as PPDC? No, and it's still not as much. But given what I had aimed for, it amazed me all the same.

To end this, would I have done this again?

I will be honest to God with you all. You deserve the best for taking this story to the heights it did.

I would not have written WIthin The Seas of The Galaxies if I knew then what I knew this story would do to me. In the end, I confess that the side that regrets this won out by a slight margin. It was still so painful to make and I would never want to go through anything like that again. I went through that experience with Fallen Apple and a fanfic that never saw the light of day and I dropped them instantly, and never want to do them again because of the sheer negative emotions I get when I think of them.

But it's clear you liked it. In the end, that's all that matters. I know this might have been more downbeat than you would like, but I felt I needed to be honest. And again, thank you so much for your support through the four months that I wrote this. I do not know where this story would have been without your support.

Soothing Stone

Comments ( 36 )

This story was not the best but I still loved it. All I can say is you have my sympathy for the pain and a congrats on a good story.

I know what being suicidal is like. And i am worried about you. please PM me if you would be willing to skype call and discuss this. I have been there myself. I will not judge and i will listen....which is something i personally would have liked in my time of need. You do not even need to say anything to me until you want to. i can tell you about myself and what i went through. i will give you full transparency to even my biggest secrets. I truthfully want to help and the way i see it is that i tell you about myself and you decide you don't want to talk to me, which is ok. i will not press this on you, but this once. but i do ask that you at least try, or at the very least talk to someone else you already know you can trust.

I feel a little cheap doing this, but I will.

"It is when we are at our lowest that we are subject to the greatest change."
- Aang

Phew, quoting a cartoon character, done.
Anyway, the point of that quote is to tell you that I believe writing this story changed you for the better. I don't know how you were before that, or even while you were writing it, but reading through the Author's Note here, I believe that you've pushed your own boundaries by forcing this story to its end. You've proven to yourself AND to us that you can do whatever you want if you really feel like it.

I'm going to finish off with this little thing:
You'll always have the support of the Brony community. We may not know you, you may not know us. But we'll still be there should you need us.

I don't know about your other stories but, in my opinion, Within The Seas of The Galaxies was a good one since the beginning.

Im happy you wrote this story.... this is a really good story... i truely enjoyed it

I always liked this one, and you know what? Rereading it now.
I have not been in a position like yours for long at all, though almost once, but have spent a long time helping a familily member who has.
I can't say I know what it's like, but I can understand.
Thank you for the story, and I admire the courage it takes to put your feelings out here.

still need to finish this fiction on my ebook reader ! but hell its a great lovestory !

I may not remember all the details perfectly, but I do remember enjoying this story. The last chapter especially, while not really the "story" exactly, was great.

One of the few stories I actually saved for downloading.

I have lost many people in my life and I certainly don't want want to lose a writer, and dare I say...friend. I have enjoyed your story and I always will.

I loved the story don't beat yourself up over something great. Fan fiction writers do write for free after all , so I'll take what I could get.

I'll admit, when I first started this, it felt fast and fake. I couldn't get into it. But looking back, I'm glad I stuck with it. I enjoyed this read, and I'm glad you finished it. I fully understand the feeling of regret with a story, of not being happy with it. I'm there myself with my biggest story. And I understand the suicide bit, it's not something easy to get through. I hope you can enjoy where life takes you, and if you write for us again, not sure if you have yet, I hope you can get behind those stories and enjoy writing.

And, I feel I should say this. Good Luck.

2396864>>2394417 I agree with both of you. The pacing of the love is a bit of a joke and unrealistic...but we are talking about talking technicolor ponies here so...w/e :trixieshiftleft::trixieshiftright::rainbowwild:

I read this in one sitting, why? Because it was good. It started well, it had a great conflict, and an excellent resolution.

The first few chapters probably could have hit the brakes, because the whole affair felt fast, but still wonderful.

I think there were about 5 typos (so one per 10k words?) which is pretty solid.

9/10 for me, you've done good here.

I always look for good stories, and I am proud to say that this is my favorite one, and the only story IN MY LIFE to make me cry.

3158574
Admittedly, this was a long time ago and my writing has come a long way on a technical standpoint.

I'm just really trying to get past this story, as I wrote in my second author's notes.

Still think TwiLuna is best pairing, excellent story good sir! :moustache:

3304473

I might have written this poorly, but the intent was that she had underlying feelings for Twilight, but the letters made her realize that.

Very good sir. the first part was well spaced and left much to the entertainment of the reader, we do have to say it moved really fast torward the end there, but was quickly remedied with your last chapter were for most of it you were tactful in making it seem like twilight hadn't made it and hade died with her friends. I have to ask personally, we liked the ending but I was kinda hopping for an alternate ending were twilight didn't make it and what happened because of it.

4021102
I have no idea what John Hughes did, but I have a feeling that's a good thing that I don't know :twilightoops:

Alright, i'm going to be honest here. This story wasn't the best ship i've read, but it has plenty of good. The idea is good, though used a lot (aging of a loved one, in this case with TwiLuna), it is mostly well written (meaning correct grammar and spelling, etc).
But I have to say it took me about 8 chapters to finally be able to say if I like it or not. There are a few thing i feel were rushed, like Luna's almost instant crush on Twi, and Twi's realization, but I can see why it could be so.
Anyway, although i'm not favouriting, you get a like. :)
Don't give up writing though! You never know when a story you're writing that feels like it is bland, or not really that great to you might become one of the best/most liked stories on the site!

Anyway, I hope whatever is wrong with your life gets better and that I didn't offend you in any way writing this.

~Sub

Still one of the best stories on this site imo. Reading it never gets old.

5475250 Of course, here it is. Unfortunately it's now canceled thought.
You could've just searched "The Dark Apprentice" on this very site.

5475325

Meghan McCarthy did say that Twilight wouldn't outlive her friends, meaning that Twilight is still not immortal.

I liked this story.
I have trouble believing how fast the romance moved. After the second date merging souls, mating, then already thinking about marriage? Then after the Twilight talks to her parents we're at the wedding, then 100 years later. Not sure I would call it rushed, but it seems that were getting very small scenes of their relationship together.
I liked how you handled the 100 years later chapter, was initially confused because Celestia could have used the spell in 80 years so the final floor of the tower was going to be interesting.

6736419

I'm amazed that I still get comments about this story to this day.

As for your answer, I'm not writing any clop stuff to this. I am OK with others doing it, though.

6207319 I don't understand how you can say the pacing is good. It feels too slow 90% of the time and then it jumps through hoops super quick and is slow again. The pacing is a disaster.
Luna's pacing was so quick in the beginning that everything feels sluggish in retrospect.

It literally felt like it was going to be a 2000 word story, then switched gears and dragged it out.

This story had the happiest ending i've read in a twiluna so far i think this deserves the second highst award i can give the god award this means you are one of the best(in my book) however i must say that i don't do awards for cloppy storys becuse they don't count.
Just saying
In the end simply ME WANT MORE but so fae very good

Comment posted by Vasto Lorde deleted Jan 25th, 2017

8317748
Sorry to offend you but religious people averagely score lower in IQ tests than that of agnostics and atheists, so overall religious people aren't the smartest bunch. Regardless, that is one old ass comment you replied to (from 2012, that's like 5 years ago)...

I enjoyed this story and will not critise it because I know my own story needs work. and i know how much flammers can hurt you aster all we do this for free taking time out of our lives to write for others. in the case of my own story this is the first time I have done so and it is very hard several times and I only have 6 chapters I felt like quiting. but I felt your story was very good and if i didn't have a one year old to care for I would have read it all in one go. Please excuse my spelling my spellcheck seems to have taken the day off. As always let the water of life flow freely!

Thank you for writing this interesting romance story. I loved how you portrayed Twilight's reactions to it all.

6737574
do ye think you could make an alt ending one where Twilight dies and we here Celestia Luna and Shining Armor's feelings about Twilight too?

9313051
Throught that last chapter I was under the impression that Luna and Shining Armor were going to the cryptum (that's what i've decided to call it) to resurect Twilight, through some new variation of the spell that makes alicorns even if the target is recently deceased.

I think the story was amazing, definitely one of the best TwiLuna stories I have read on this site.

Login or register to comment