• Published 17th Jan 2016
  • 1,486 Views, 72 Comments

Yo-Kai Watch: The mystery of Springdale - Tythen



There has been strange occurrences in the newly populated 'town' of Springdale, Idaho and Flash was tasked to investigate it. His younger siblings however, stumbled upon it by accident and were thrown into the mystical world of Yo-Kai.

  • ...
3
 72
 1,486

Chapter 3-3: Depressed, Dull and Distracted

"*Sigh*..." Scootaloo sighed as she sat with her younger brother on one of the benches in Triangle Park.

"What's wrong sis?"

"Nothing, just thinking about everypony back in Ponyville, as well as our house..."

"I know you want to go back as much as I do, but we don't have a choice around here." First sighed "even Big Bro wants to go back as well. You can tell right?"

"Yeah..." Scootaloo replied, "but the sooner this case is closed, the sooner we get home. So we gotta find those Yo-Kai!"

"Speaking of Yo-Kai," First noticed "Is it me or does our classmate Alex look completely different than what she was?"

"Huh?" Scootaloo looked at their cap-wearing classmate unhappily sitting on a swing, the look of on her face was more depressing that what Scoots herself was looking like.

"Deary me, it looks like she's still depressed over the game of tag,"

"That was yesterday at school remember?" First reminded "she still can't be that depressed about it"

"I don't think it's just her you know..." Scootaloo started looking around. All the fillies and foals they could see playing in the park were completely unhappy and depressed to even play with each other.

"Wow, why is Triangle Park such a depressing atmosphere today?" First asked,

"Didn't you just say it was a Yo-Kai?"

"Nonsense" Whisper suddenly spoke from behind, "everypony has an off-day, it just so happens that these bunch of Kids' off-day is today."

"Yeah, that doesn't sound convincing..." Scootaloo replied, "I might as well check it out"

"Oh please," Whisper shook his head at the naivety of the filly as she scanned the area with her watch. "There is absolutely no way that a single Yo-Kai would have the power to--"

"There!" First gasped, as Scootaloo uncovered a blue and yellow bird with two unhappy and depressed faces with one on top of it's neck and a creepier depressed face on it's body perched on top of the slide.

"It's not just her!" Scootaloo replied as the watch's radar alert was still ringing like crazy. The filly continued to move the searchlight and uncovered yet another Yo-Kai: What seems to be a fierce-looking head with arms and legs, giving home to a dull-looking head with only it's blue arms visible.

"What!?" Whisper gasped to his dismay.

"I'm afraid it isn't just a company, it's a crowd!" Scootaloo added as she then uncovered a third Yo-Kai, a mosquito with no legs, 2 arms with two sharp fingers on each hand, and wearing a red hoodie.

"B-B-But..." Whisper tried to find a counter argument,

"Told you so!" Scootaloo taunted,

"That doesn't matter anymore now." First reminded "look at how sad and depressed these Yo-Kai are!"

"Of course! The bird Yo-Kai over there is uh..." Whisper looked at his Yo-Kai Pad "Buhu! She's a Yo-Kai that can cause any sort of bad luck and the unhappiness that follows!"

"And the other ones?"

"His name is Dulluma" Whisper changed the page "he's a Yo-Kai that can slow ponies down and completely demotivate them to not even move a muscle at all! The last one is Negatibuzz. As his name suggests, he can nurture and transmit negativity to itself and other ponies and Yo-Kai. The combination of all these negative Yo-Kai is a very depressing result."

"... Are you reading it again?" Scootaloo picked up,

"N-Not at all!" Whisper denied "I have no idea what you're saying!"

"Let's just get this over with..." First sighed, "any ideas on how to deal with these three blokes?"

"Well" Whisper wondered "I'm afraid your guess is as good as mine... So why don't you go negotiate with them? We can call out our Yo-Kai friends to help too!"

"Sure thing, come on sis!" First encouraged,

"Actually, I think I'll stay and observe for now. Why don't you go talk to them first?" Scootaloo replied,

"Okay then..." First sighed as he stood up and strode over to the Bird. "Hey excuse me, can I talk to you for a second?"

"What? A pony can see me?" The bird raised her head, "oh goodness, is this the end of the Yo-Kai World? Well, it's not like my life as a Yo-Kai is any better..."

"Hey," First continued "what's with your distraction? Can you, you know... Stop it?"

"I'm really sorry about it, I really am," Buhu explained "but something's making me so tired that I'm unable to move from this spot... Not only that, I feel so negative too!" She lowered her head in further sadness "Why do I even exist? All I do is inspirit people and make them distracted and unhappy... Boo hoo hoo!"

"Argh..." First sighed, "I think I know who's making you feel that way, I'll talk to them..." He waved to Scootaloo, who lazily waved back with a yawn. First's next target was Dulluma, heading underneath the slide, he found the daruma slouched and dizzy.

"Hey um... Can I help you?"

"Nah..." Dulluma grumbled "I wish not to trouble you with my current lethargy problems, as it is my nature."

"I know that, but are you affected with anything else to stop your lethargic influence? Perhaps I can help..." First offered,

"Maybe..." Dulluma replied "Something's affecting me to be really negative and pessimistic about things, not to mention being very distracted most of the time!"

"Uhh..." First gulped as he realised the gravity and simplicity of the situation, "I'll be right back..." As he looked towards Scootaloo, the young filly was taking a nap, basking in the calm sunlight. Shrugging off the fact about his sister's lack of help, First turned to the Mosquito Yo-Kai.

"Excuse me, you look pretty down... Do you require any assistance?"

"Yes..." Negatibuzz buzzed "on second thoughts, probably not. So much is happening here, I'd rather just try and hide myself..."

"Well can't you just move somewhere else then?"

"Can't... I'm dull, exzzzzhausted and too depressed to move..." Negatibuzz wailed, First threw up his arms in despair.

"Great," he mumbled to himself "these three Yo-Kai are affecting everypony in the park, including each other! If only there was some way to get them out..."

"Hey First," Whisper called, "find anything good?"

"Yeah..." First growled in frustration "those three are affecting each other as well as the Yo-Kai"

"Sounds like a mess, I'd say we give up and go home..." Scootaloo sighed,

"Sister? It doesn't sound like you to give up so easily... And especially giving up the chance to go back home!"

"And leaving the entire playground unhappy?" Whisper added "it's a disheartening sight to experience should this aura spread,"

"I'm just not bothered anymore, it takes too much energy to help these Yo-Kai or even try to fly. What's the point? An endless number of Yo-Kai are always going to inspirit others, and I'll never be able to fly. I'd rather just spend the rest of my life in the middle of nowhere slacking off."

"Scoots, you're not helping here," a flame of anger sparked in First's mind.

"I know that, but YOU can help me. Can you get me a cold drink? Some Y-Cola would be nice..." She passed a few bits and cents to her brother which he angrily strode off to the nearest chilled drink vendor and inserted the money in. A chilled can with a red design plopped out of the hole below.

"The magic to keep juices like this chilled and in their optimal taste... It surely is amazing," First trotted back with the drink,

"You think?" Scootaloo laughed "this is Neighpon now, where in a whole different country where things can just be handed to us without even moving a muscle."

"That's it sis!" First bellowed "you're definitely not yourself! Give me that!" and he violently grasped the Yo-Kai Watch and pulled it off her neck.

"Hey!" Scootaloo whined as First aimed the watch at his sister. First's eyebrows arched in further anger when he unveils a small sword with some eyes, a rhombus-shaped mouth blends into the hilt's pattern, and a pair of hands and feet, and a very soft and bendy blade.

"Oh, you can see me? Great..." The sword sighed,

"Excuse me Mister Yo-Kai? I am currently not in the mood right now thanks to you inspiriting my older sister," First fixed an icy glare "If you don't stop inspiriting my sister by the minute--"

"Can't, too tired..." The sword interrupted "unless..."

"Unless what?" Whisper asked,

"My favourite food," The sword answered "give me that, and I'll owe you a favor,"

"At least you negotiate quickly... Deal" First agreed, "what's your desire?"

"It's this amazing light liquid kept in mysterious aluminium cans..." The Yo-Kai dreamed loudly "and these cans are kept in the most weirdest of vendors... You just insert the bits in, and hey presto! It comes out from the bottom! Oh, if I only had the money! It is painful that I could never access things like these due to being a Yo-Kai!"

"... Hey Whisper, do you know what he's talking about?" First asked,

"I'm not sure... Please don't glare at me like that... You're quite scary..."

"My apologies," Flash sighed as the Y-Cola continued giving off a cold air, until a sudden chill of realisation went up his spine.

"Hey Mister Yo-K-- umm... What is your name?"

"I am Cutta-Nah,"

"Okay, then Mister Nah..."

"Mate, that is a lame nickname,"

"Well you just have to live with it," First continued "if you want this," he held out the Y-Cola.

"Th-Th-That's!" Cutta-Nah's eyes widened and senses sharpened, "where did you get this heavenly drink?"

"You know where they are located. Only this time, I had the money."

"Gimme! Gimme!" Cutta-Nah's stood up feeling motivated,

"For a slacker, you sure are 'sharp'." First joked "anyway, you promised me a favor if I give you the drink,"

"Anything,"

"I want you to leave my sister alone and go inspirit somepony else, okay?"

"First!" Whisper gasped, "that's not nice to say to your classmate or the other foals!"

"I only came to Triangle Park to play with my sister, to cheer her up." First shamelessly confessed, "but all she's ever talked about is wanting to go back to Ponyville, which then leads her to worry about finding all of the Yo-Kai to solve our brother's case. Now, even Yo-Kai are affecting our emotions and behaviour... And all because of that watch, there is somepony always behind it. With all these never-ending troubles, I really think we should just forget the fact Yo-Kai like you exist in the first place."

"First..." Scootaloo spoke in a completely different tone. First turned around to see his older sister completely concerned and sad, "I'm sorry for my behaviour. Please don't say such things like that,"

"Sister?"

"You're right. I have been whining too much about going home and Yo-Kai" Scootaloo apologised "but it's our only hope of not only going home, but also helping Flash out."

"Sister, you have been inspirited, it's not your fault,"

"All Cutta-Nah ever did was inspirit me to slack off. The thoughts I harboured inside my head were real. I'm really sorry for what I've said." She held his hoof firmly "Let us both make a promise. A promise that we both will befriend as much Yo-Kai that is enough to quell or stop these Paranormal Occurrences completely. And if it affects other innocent lives including ours, then all the more to help them out. Every Yo-Kai we befriend is a step closer to closing the case and going home."

"..." First stayed silent, his head bent in frustration.

"And you too Whisper," Scootaloo turned "sorry that we've been neglecting you for the past two sub-chapters. We'll also promise you that we are going to do our best to find and befriend all the Yo-Kai possible. We won't let you down!!!"

"You... You guys!" Whisper cried, "I'm so proud to be your Butler!!!"

"..." First stood up without a word, and grabbed Cutta-Nah by the hilt,

"Woah! Mercy! Mercy!" Cutta-Nah surrendered,

"Listen well Mister Nah," First whispered, anger in his voice. "My favor is this, there is somepony or three I would like you to inspirit, those Yo-Kai if possible," he pointed at Dulluma, Buhu and Negatibuzz.

"S-Sure!" Cutta-Nah complied as he quickly ran over to the group and did his thing.

"Huh?"

"Eh?"

"What?" One-by-one, the Yo-Kai had the sudden urge to feel weary and lazy and slumped in a heap being complete slackers.

"Too much effort to be depressed," Buhu moaned,

"Too much effort to be dull," Dullma added,

"Too much effort to be negative!" Negatibuzz yelled "I had enough!" A few seconds later after the inspiriting, every foal and filly in the playground regained their consciousness and senses, feeling much better and more positive of themselves.

"Alex," First went to confront his classmate "are you alright? Are you still upset about yesterday?"

"I-I guess???" The Cap-wearing filly replied, "but... I shouldn't be hanging back on the past. I've got to work harder for upcoming challenges next time!" Fire flared in her eyes,

"Well, now isn't a time to give up. If you stumble and fall, it's all the more to get back up and work harder and harder. Glad to see you're back to your old self."

"Yeah," Alex nodded, "maybe I needed somepony to talk to me, thanks for your concern First."

"Well then!" Whisper watched, "guess that's case closed! Perhaps things will lighten up around here from now on!"

"Yeah," Scootaloo nodded, "I wish we had time to play, but I'm happy helping somepony out or to see you, my brother, helping somepony out. Let's go home." First nodded in agreement and they trotted back.


The next morning, Flash went to check the mail early in the morning and found four peculiar looking letters addressed to his younger siblings. Without a word, Flash knocked on the door of Scootaloo and First's bedroom.

"Yes?" Scootaloo answered the door,

"It appears that you have four messages directed to you," Flash announced "I hope it is nothing of concern,"

"Don't think there should be..." Scootaloo replied as she took the letters.

"Well?" Whisper floated towards the filly, "what is it?"

"Hmm..." Scootaloo skimmed through, "these look like thank you letters! If I can read the handwriting that is..."

"'Dear Siblings, I really didn't want to say this, but thank you for your concern yesterday. I guess I felt tired of being depressed for a short while with the interest of doing something else. Although that moment was never going to last, I guess this moment will be stuck in my mind for a long time in my spiritual existence. The moment you finish reading this message, it will disappear. We both really hate for this to happen, but we'll be seeing a each other a lot more often. Regards, Buhu'" And as promised, the letter exploded in a thick purple smoke, leaving behind a medal. Without haste, Scootaloo read the other three.

"'Dear Siblings, thank you for your efforts in trying to help me. I've realised how tiring it can be to be dull and immobilised, so I'll be less dull from now on and try to start moving more often. You guys are cool and lively. Here, you will recieve my medal once you've finished reading. Regards, Dulluma'" Once again, the letter exploded and a medal took its place as the smoke subsided,

"'Dear Siblings, I've found out how annoying I am to others when I became so negative. Normally I've been told to buzzzz off multiple times, but instead, you guyzzzz wanted to help me get over my negativity. With you guyzzzz around, I might smile for a change, but maybe I won't. Here, let's become friendzzzz, I don't know what I'd do without you. I just hope this message will reach the right adreszzz... Negatibuzz'"

"'Dear Siblings. First of all, I'd like to thank you for that Y-Cola that you've given me, I've haven't had that nourishment in a long time. I also apologise for inspiriting you Scootaloo and infuriating you as well First Base. I promise not to be much of a slacker next time if I can... Maybe not, I'll try to be sharp instead. Anyway, I'm not bothered to come and give you my gratitude in person, but I nearly thought that writing a letter would just be as tough. Would that make up for it? Anyway, I'm glad that I've managed to write this letter. Call me when you need me. Sincerely, Cutta-Nah'" And as the final two letters were read, they turned into medals with the puff of the purple smoke.

"Wow... I guess with effort and perseverance, it does come with it's own reward." Scootaloo smiled as she picked up the medals.

"Amazing! That's FOUR new Yo-Kai friends!" Whisper applauded, "did you hear that First Base?"

"Hmm???" First moaned as he slouched on his bead, "oh okay... Yay..."

"Are you feeling unwell?" Whisper asked,

"Nah... I'm not bothered to get out of bed today, too tired being angry yesterday. In fact, I don't feel like doing anything today."

"Are you being inspirited by Cutta-Nah?" Scootaloo joked,

"Nah..." First replied, attempting to go back to sleep by throwing the cover on himself "Not in the mood to be inspirited either,"