• Published 17th Jan 2016
  • 1,486 Views, 72 Comments

Yo-Kai Watch: The mystery of Springdale - Tythen



There has been strange occurrences in the newly populated 'town' of Springdale, Idaho and Flash was tasked to investigate it. His younger siblings however, stumbled upon it by accident and were thrown into the mystical world of Yo-Kai.

  • ...
3
 72
 1,486

Chapter 4-4: Dance off!

It's another quiet afternoon at the Sentry house, with First feeding Kuwa and Scootaloo feeding Kabu.

"Hey First, want another beetle battle?" Scootaloo challenged,

"You've grown awfully competitive with Kabu when you defeated Bear's massive Stag beetle. Can't you let him take a rest?" First asked,

"Of course not! Kabu and I are always itching for a fight, ain't that right Kabu?" Scootaloo doing a fierce pose of victory, with Kabu doing its best to imitate her,

"You guys seriously have the same personality. It'd be a shame if Kabu can't fly."

"Hey!" Scootaloo gasped, "that's uncalled for!" As if Kabu understood what First said, the Rhino beetle started flying around the room before calmly landing on Scoot's hair.

"I get it Kabu, I get it..." First laughed as Kabu did a mocking dance. The sound of knocking on the door peaked the interest of the siblings once again.

"Wonder who that is???" First peered through the hole of the door to see some mad pony dancing in front of it.

"Don't worry," First looked back with a puzzled expression. "Some mad pony is dancing in front of our door."

"What???" Scootaloo replied as she galloped down. As First continued looking, he noticed a familiar brunette manestyle and light pink body.

"Oh my Celestia," First gasped in realisation, "It's Katie." Opening the door, Katie waved and smiled at the siblings as she continues performing some cutesy and lively dance moves.

"What's up guys?" Katie greeted,

"I think the question is what's up with you?"

"There's a dance concert that's happening at Gourd Park. The Dancing Trio is here to visit!"

"Dancing Trio?"

"They're a new dancing group that came from Neighpon." Katie explained, "their dances are so lively and fast, combining both country and modern. It's so exciting and fun, that everypony seems hooked to do it!"

"Is... That... So?" First asked,

"And that's why I'm here! I wanted to ask you if you would like to come!" Katie continued, "it's just over at Breezy Hills!"

"Hmm..." Scootaloo looked at her non-stop dancing friend, "might as well, can't say I'm not in the mood to be interested."

"Let's go!" First nodded, and the siblings followed the unicorn as they made their way to their destination.


The trio, with Whisper following them in secrecy, trotted towards Breezy Hills, where Gourd Park was located. There, the outdoor concert hall of the area was crowded with ponies. Ponies of all ages, races and sizes were jumping about, and doing any type of dance possible. Ballet, hip hop, disco, all sorts of dances. Through the crowd, the siblings made out the figures of Nate, Eddie and Bear dancing out to the upbeat music.

"Well I've never seen ponies dance like this all over the place." First replied as he noticed three peculiar looking ponies on the stage, "why couldn't it be this crazy in Ponyville?" As the siblings continued on looking, they noticed three peculiar looking ponies on the stage. The three of them had different shades of seaweed-green fur and wearing oriental coats.

"Dance everypony! Dance!" The seaweed-green pony announced, a light stallion voice came out,

"We always love to see others dance!" The dark seaweed-green pony added, this stallion had a very deep voice,

"Let's all dance together!" The pale seaweed-green pony smiled as she raised her hooves to the skies. The moment she did however, something snapped inside of Whisper and he started to dance madly as well. Grabbing a random pole out of nowhere, he spun around and around in crazy poses and moves.

"Whisper?" Scootaloo turned around to see their ghostly friend being crazy, "what in the world are you doing?"

"Dancing!!!" Whisper laughed, "isn't this fun!? Look at my dancing!"

"You call that dancing?" First replied,

"But..." Scootaloo noticed, "how come Whisper's dancing too?"

"Why does it matter?" First asked, "perhaps Whisper also felt the need to dance as is with everypony!!! It's very spirit lifting!" All of a sudden, First fell silent. "But now that I'm talking about it. It really is strange that the dancing trio can affect Yo-Kai like Whisper..."

"Do you think the Dancing Trio are actually... Yo-Kai?" Scootaloo asked,

"I don't think they're doing any harm here..." First replied, "perhaps we'll just leave them be. They've got to stop one way or another..."

"Thanks for bringing us here Katie but I think we should go ba--" Something struck Scootaloo's mind, interrupting her sentence. Without any sudden warning, she began break-dancing in front of her brother and friends. Through numerous twists, spins, and flips that deemed impossible for Scootaloo to do without practice, Katie and First stood in silence as their flightless filly friend ended her dance with a familiar pose from Cheerilee's talent show.

"Peace out!" Scootaloo winked.

"Uhh... Okay?" First clapped in confusion.

"Waa haa haa!" Whisper continued pole dancing.

"I think now's a good time to get going..." First replied as he dragged his sister and Whisper away from the crowd, but as he was doing it, he felt the same snapping sense inside his mind and began to dance like crazy as well.

"You too First!?" Katie laughed,

"La la la!" First sung to a random song as he started twisting on the spot.

"Woo! Yeah! Oww!" Scootaloo continued on dancing

"Waa haa haa!" Whisper continued twirling around the spear. Of all the coincidences, a certain Yo-Kai was watching the dancing and jumping crowd and the moment he saw his friends, he couldn't help it but do what he does best.

"Hee Hee... Ha ha ha ha!!!" Heeheeheel bawled out in laughter, seeing Scootaloo, First and Whisper perform things that they have rarely done. The laughter reached the ears of the siblings and Whisper and they immediately regained their senses.

"Uhh..." Scootaloo looked at her interrupted dance pose,

"..." First closed his eyes in humiliating embarrassment,

"WHAT WAS I DOING!?" Whisper gasped in agony as he clutched the dancing pole.

"Doing some Dirty Dancing!" Heheheel laughed, "but jokes aside, did you have fun with the Dancing Trio?"

"You know the Dancing Trio?" Scootaloo asked, "why are we always missing out on these topics?"

"One: Your family is new to Neighponese territory. News spreads very quickly in this area. And Two: The Dancing Trio are not what everpony thinks they are, they are actually Yo-Kai."

"Oh..." Scootaloo replied,

"Don't sound that excited?"

"I'm starting to get used to it. Every big thing or out-of-ordinary situation is constantly a Yo-Kai's fault." Scootaloo shrugged.

"So who are those Yo-Kai?" First asked,

"The Dancing Trio are walking seaweeds with arms, hands and clothes. "Wiglin is the normal seaweed-green one, Steppa is the dark seaweed-green one, and the pale one's Rhyth, the only female Yo-Kai of the bunch. Not only do these folks cause ponies to dance, they can also make ponies very healthy due to seaweed power."

"Is there--"

"Any way to make them stop?" Heheheel interrupted, "just one simple challenge: Defeat them at their own game. Let the audience decide who is the victor, or one side surrenders."

"This doesn't sound easy..." Scootaloo gulped, "unless we've got somepony who's good at dancing, we've got no chance of winning..."

"If I can help," Heheheel suggested, "me and my eel friends made a music video together and uploaded it on Yo-Kai Social Media, named after one of my friends. I did the rapping part, Croonger did the singing and Urnaconda did the dancing. We received a lot of views, but the reception was rather mixed. Some said it was funny, but others said that it was rather controversial and not meant for all Yo-Kai. Now that I think about it, maybe it's a bad idea showing it to you or mentioning it in the first place."

"In that case, know anypony else?" First continued, "or maybe Flash can know! He's got access to all of Springdale's ponies being a guard and all!"

"I had never thought about that!" Scootaloo replied, "good idea! We'll ask him about it when he comes back. Then, we'll nab those dancers tonight."

"Hey Mister Heel, do you want to come along?"

"Sure! At least there maybe something that I can laugh at!" Heheheel giggled.


"Hmm..." Scootaloo scrolled through the interbook on the computer, looking up numerous videos on the many different dance styles, and how to dance them.

"Tango?" First suggested,

"Nah... I'd rather do a dance without holding hooves or getting close,"

"Then ballet?"

"Too girly..."

"Jazz Dancing!"

"Too quirky!!!"

"Then what are your suggestions?"

"Fan Dancing?"

"I'm a stallion you know!" First replied, "I ain't doing Burlesque!"

"Ballroom Dancing,"

"Didn't you just say that you don't want to get close?"

"Oops! I forgot... How about the Bon Odori? Or Parasol Dancing?" Scoots showed the information to her brother

"That's interesting..." First stopped and thought about it for a moment, "now that you mention it, it's quite cultural, and I think the audience will appreciate it a lot... It's a good idea."

"Really?" Scootaloo's eyes widened,

"If we were NEIGHPONESE!!!" First finished with a loud snarl, "if we act like complete fools, it could offend them pretty badly!"

"Aw come on First," Scootaloo sighed, "I don't think Ponies think like that anymore..." As the siblings started quarrelling on what dance they should do, a voice came from downstairs.

"I'm home!" Flash called,

"Big Bro!" The siblings replied simultaneously as they rushed down to greet him, "we need your help!"

"Sounds serious. What is this about?"

"Do you know anypony in Springdale that can dance?" Scootaloo asked innocently,

"... Are you trying to use my connections to the Local Springdale Guard to know the identity of anypony in Springdale?"

"Uh..." First nervously looks away,

"It's okay." Flash chuckled, "after all, occupations do need to have an benefit to others. So dancing ponies right? Well, there is one called Groovalicious who normally provides classes at the Springdale Community Centre every night, so he's one."

"Hmm... Anypony else?"

"Unfortunately, he's the only one who is a dance teacher. If there is one that I know of who can dance well, it would be you Scootaloo. Shame that I didn't attend your talent show, I heard it was funny."

"Yeah yeah..." Scootaloo sighed,

"Anyway, if there is anypony else, all I can think of are the ladies back at home. Lady Appplejack's Country dance, Lady Pinkie Pie's random dances and of course, Princess Twi--"

"That's it!" Scootaloo lightened up, yelling out loud. "I've got it!"

"What do you mean?" Flash questioned,

"I know who's dance to take and perform in the dance floor!"

"Wait, what dance?"

"First and I are going to stage a dance-off against the Dancing Trio!"

"You mean those dancers in Gourd Park today? That's very courageous, seeing that you guys want to participate."

"Wait, the Princess can dance?" First asked,

"Sweetie Belle told me all about it!" Scootaloo replied, "I'll tell you what it's like."

"Meanwhile, I've got a small dance to show you all too. Ready?" Flash asked. Without letting his siblings decide, he stood on his hind legs and revealed a very large face that was painted onto his body.

"Ka-poom! Ka-poom!" Flash yelled as he thrust out his gut that has the face on it, and swung it around. Heheheel burst into fits of laughter as he always does.

"Eww! Flash!" Scootaloo cringed as the siblings closed their eyes. "That's disgusting!"

"Did you always tell us not to act weird at any time???" First reminded,

"He's inspirited." Whisper sighed as he floated down the stairs. "Do you honestly think your brother would be stupid enough to draw on his belly?" Getting straight to the answer, Scootaloo aimed the lens at her brother and uncovered a plump orange bird sitting on his head.

"Ready?" The new Yo-Kai spoke, and Flash started 'belly dancing' once again.

"Oy! Stop it whoever you are!" Scootaloo commanded,

"Oh? You can see me?" The bird tilted his head, "well you're just in luck! Here to see the great Rockabelly!"

"Rockabelly huh?" Scootaloo answered, "We can see you indeed. If we have a butler Yo-Kai and an eel Yo-Kai following us around, what makes you think that we can't see you?"

"Anyway, please leave our brother alone. He may be strict and simple-minded, but that's not a good reason to inspirit him. Also, we're in a bit of a pickle." First continued,

"Then why don't you belly dance? It would take a load off your shoulders."

"I said I'm not in the mood right no--"

"Actually..." Scootaloo interrupted, a vicious grin spread on her face, "I think this will give us an intense advantage. Hey Rockabelly, can you help us?"

"Help you??? Somepony wants to request my dancing skills? Oh it is an honour!"

"I wonder why?" Scootaloo chuckled, eyeing First.

"Oh no..." First sighed with impending worry "with that adjective, you've got some plan... Don't you?"

"If we can't be the best..." Scootaloo growled deviously "we sure as Tartarus can be the worst. Now let's practice!"


As night falls, the dancing and noises still resonated throughout Gourd Pond, causing quite the ruckus for some quiet souls. Nevertheless, Scootaloo and First trotted back into the party, and this time climbing the stage.

"Dancing Trio!" Scootaloo called out, the three seaweed colour dancing ponies stopped dancing to see who had called them,

"Why hello there!" Wiglin greeted, "it's rare to see someponies who have the heart to go on stage with us!"

"Yeah, it's also rare to see lead dancers stop dancing while the audience is still dancing... And why this music isn't stopping."

"Oh, uhh..." Steppa gulped, "th-there must be a misunderstanding."

"Drop the disguises." First replied, "we know that you are Yo-Kai, and we come with a challenge. A dance challenge!"

"A challenge?" Rhyth gasped in delight, "oh it would be a pleasure to accept it! One condition though, if you win, you can ask anything of us. What would you like? Dance moves instantaneously learned? A lifetime's supply of healthy seaweed?"

"I want you to stop this dancing right away." Scootaloo answered,

"What!?" Wiglin gasped, "but dancing is fun! Can't you see the looks on everypony's faces? They love to dance!"

"You are INSPIRITING them." Scootaloo corrected, "dancing against their will."

"But dancing is healthy and all that," Steppa explained, "it is an alternative for exercise!"

"I can't argue with that." First replied, "dancing does have it's good merits, but too much of it is no good, especially if you're going to be Dancing All Night!"

"Ponies can't dance forever, they need to rest, and they've also got other things to do in life. Otherwise, there would be an imbalance in life." Scootaloo continued,

"Is that so?" Rhyth asked, "then very well, let's begin." With a swift movement, the Dancing trio grabbed something on their foreheads and pulled out a leaf. Right before their eyes, a mystical white puff of smoke erupted underneath each of the dancing trio, enshrouding them from their view. As the smoke subsided, there were three different coloured seaweed with arms and legs and wearing light dance jackets and headbands. Only Rhyth seem to have something extra, long white bandages tied around her body.

"Since this is a challenge," Wiglin waved, "we'll dance in our true form! Surprised?"

"Although we received a brief description of your appearance," Scootaloo replied, "It's still a surprise to see the exact description moving their bodies around."

"So, are you ready to begin?" Steppa asked, "challenger's choice, first or second?" The siblings looked at each other and nodded,

"We'll go second." First answered, "feel free to start the show, Dancing Trio."

"Very well then!" Wiglin posed, as did the other three,

"We are the Dancing Trio! Ten out of Ten!!!" The three chanted in unison and they started breaking out into synchronised movements when the beat of the boombox started. They moved their arms to and fro, they formed a queue and moved their heads in a circular motion like a train, they crouched on the floor and spun around in the same speed, timing and finished their dance with a pose. The crowd immensely cheered at the Dancing Trio's Performance.

"Oh dear!" Whisper replied, "the dancing trio certainly lives up to their name!"

"It's going to be tough to top that." Jibanyan replied. As the crowd cheered for the Dancing Trio, a familiar pegasus was mixed in the crowd in the air, watching the two foals with great interest.

"The Dancing Trio are a worthy opponent." Flash watched, "this is a very hard dance to match, but I've still got my faith in you Scoots and First. You're my younger siblings, and I know you've got a plan back there. You can win."

"Uhh..." First towed a phonograph onto the stage, "I'm feeling really uneasy now. There's no way we're ever going to be winning this."

"First, our goal isn't just to win by dance remember? We can cause them to surrender as well."

"N-No," First replied, "We're going to become a laughingstock here!"

"Oh First," Scootaloo sighed, "please have some humility. Rockabelly?"

"Ready." Rockabelly flew from behind, landing on First's head possessing him. "Ready First?"

"... Ready," a smile spread on First's face.

"Dancing Trio?" Scootaloo announced, "I will be performing the dance of the Fourth Princess of Ponyville. Prepare to be amazed!"

"Wha!?" Flash's eyes widened on what his sister was about to do next. As First kicked the Phonograph to start the music, Scootaloo started to flail around wildly like someone's was riding her on a rodeo. She spun her front legs back and forth then stood on them and spun her back hind legs. She performed a very half-baked twirl around, and performed every other move like was tripping over every banana peel and landing on all fours miraculously, all while her eyes are closed.

"Eh!?" The Dancing Trio stepped back,

"What!? Huh!? What is this!?" The numerous audience cringed and gulped in confusion as they started to trot back or float further from the stage.

"Ahh... Ahh..." Flash's jaw was agape in horror and embarrassment and his face started to turn blue.

"Ka-poom! Ka-poom! Ka-poom!" First on the other hand, started belly-dancing with the large simple-yet-ugly face painted on his stomach. While he was belly dancing to the beat, the ridiculousness of the face and the gut thrusting was enough to enhance the awkward feeling the Dancing Trio and the audience are feeling right now.

"Uuu..." The Dancing Trio held their mouths, almost ready to puke.

"Err..." The crowd started to feel very sick, speechless and embarrassed,

"Daa...." Flash was also speechless, turning even more blue with embarrassment "S-Scoots, F-First, M-Milady!!!"

"Books! Books! Books!" Scootaloo cried as she continued the flimsy rag-doll dancing.

"Ka-poom! Ka-poom! Ka-poom!" First continued thrusting his belly.

"Eee...!" The Dancing Trio started looking away from the siblings,

"Magic! Magic!"

"Ka-poom! Ka-poom!"

"Ahh...!" The crowd on the ground and air, with Nate, Katie, Bear, Eddie and all the other Springdale kids started cringing and trotting back further from the dancing.

"Friendship!!!"

"Ka-poom!"

"Gragh...!!!" An unstable and uncontrollable emotion of emptiness and fear rumbled and surged through Flash's body.

"ENOUGH!!!" Wiglin cried, "it's too much! It's over! I'm done! I submit!" Wiglin surrendered,

"I submit too!" Steppa surrendered,

"Did somepony say submit?" Rhyth replied, changing the words, "because I do too!"

"Yes!" Scootaloo stopped dancing and jumped in the air as a sign of victory "we did it!"

"We won!!! We won!!!" First cheered, until Rockabelly stopped inspiriting him, snapping back to his conscience "wait... Did we win?"

"We sure did Little Bro!" Scootaloo laughed as she approached the Dancing Trio, "good dance guys." She offered to shake,

"That was some... Dance you've got there!" Wiglin complimented as he shook her hoof back. "Perhaps we should learn it ourselves,"

"No worries! You can just ask the Great Princess of Friendship herself!!!"

"Gawk!!!" Flash clutched his throat.

"A deal is a deal. We shall leave the townsponies alone as you wished." Steppa bowed,

"But in return, we'll also entrust our Yo-Kai medals to you!" Rhyth replied, handing her Yo-Kai medal to the filly. Wiglin and Steppa did the same, "don't hesitate to call on us when you need to have spirits lifted. There must be some part of dance in somepony's life."

"I agree," Scootaloo smiled,

"Take mine too," Rockabelly offered, "I'd never thought I'd meet somepony who needed my dancing."

"Sure!"

"M-My apologies Princess Twilight..." Flash lowered his head in embarrassment and shame, "I have indirectly soiled your image... I'll be seeing myself behind bars once this case is finished... And visiting hours are in the evening every Wednesday."