• Published 17th Jan 2016
  • 1,485 Views, 72 Comments

Yo-Kai Watch: The mystery of Springdale - Tythen



There has been strange occurrences in the newly populated 'town' of Springdale, Idaho and Flash was tasked to investigate it. His younger siblings however, stumbled upon it by accident and were thrown into the mystical world of Yo-Kai.

  • ...
3
 72
 1,485

Chapter 5-1: Country to City

Another beautiful day shone upon the young siblings, as the flightless filly decided to complete one of her to-do activities today.

"Put this here... Then connect the handle... And it's DONE!!!" Scootaloo gave a sigh of relief she revealed her good old trusty scooter, placed back together again.

"Hey!" First applauded "so you've decided to put it together again!"

"Yep!" Scootaloo nodded, "now riding around Springdale is going to be easy!"

"I hope you remember that you can't ride your scooters on stairs, and that you've got a brother too."

"Don't worry," Scootaloo comforted, "you're going to be riding second wheel! Just make sure you've got a helmet and that you're holding on tight!"

"Good morning you two!" Whisper greeted, "it's another great morning! Don't you think?"

"Good morning Whisper!" Scootaloo greeted back, "it surely is! Especially the time when I take my good old friend out for a spin!"

"Oh? And what do you have here?" Whisper asked, "it looks like one of those two-wheel Neighponese motors!"

"Close! But it's not a motorbike, this is a scooter. It doesn't run on magic, just some good old force from your hoof!"

"Want to come along with us?" First asked, "since you mostly float and all..."

"Okay then! I'd like to see how you go 'out for a spin'!" Whisper agreed,

"Where do you think we should go First?" Scootaloo asked,

"How about Nom Burger? We can get some ice cream there!" First replied,

"Good idea!" Scootaloo winked as he put on her helmet, "let's go!"

"Hey Flash!" First galloped towards the door with his sister while putting on his baseball helmet "we're going out for a spin!"

"Be careful!" Flash warned, "don't go too fast, and watch out for wagons!" He waved goodbye.


Scootaloo and First whizzed through the streets of Uptown Springdale, their faces wide with joy and fun as the wind blew through their mane and around their faces.

"Yay!!!" First cried with joy, "it's great to go on a scooter!"

"Hang tight!" Scootaloo warned and made a sharp turn on to the pavement.

"Woah!" First quickly held on in surprise,

"I've never flew this fast before!" Whisper called out, "you have some talent with your little vehicle!"

"Thanks Whisper!" Scootaloo called back, too focused to turn her head back.

"Hi Nate!" First called out at the house where Nate lives. The young foal opened his balcony and yelled "Hi!" back at the siblings cruising along the roads and streets.

"Hello Katie!" First then called out to Katie, who was trotting down the street carrying some shopping.

"Oh hi!" Katie waved back with a smile towards the high-speed siblings.

"This is fun!" Scootaloo laughed, as they headed towards the Post Office, where the crossing linking the Uptown and Downtown areas of Springdale lies.

"Oh!" First remembered, "remember to slow down on those parts!"

"Dear!" Scootaloo applied the brakes as the scooter skidded to a halt before the road. "I almost forgot that this is Neighpon." The group watched the wagons and heavy carriages carried by burly ponies gallop past.

"Better remember to hit the button to trigger the lights!" First replied as he hit a button on a small box with a display. The word 'WAIT' illuminated on the display screen. After a few seconds of waiting, the traffic light for pedestrians turned green, allowing the two siblings to cross.

"Sometimes, you gotta take things slowly." First chuckled to himself as they slowly trotted across the crossing before getting back on the scooter and whizzing off towards Nom Burger.


"Welcome!" The staff running the counter greeted as the siblings trotted in, "how can I help you today?"

"Hello ma'am! Just two ice cream cones please!" Scootaloo ordered,

"sure thing! Just 60 cents!" The staff replied and accepted the coins, "two ice creams coming up!"

"Well?" First asked as they waited, "what did you think about riding your scooter once more?"

"Exhilarating!" Scootaloo answered, "though, I wish I could go even faster and even do some stunts! It sucks that you had to come along."

"Yeah, well sorry about that..." First sighed,

"It seems like both of you seem to share certain behaviours when you were back in Ponyville!" Whisper overheard,

"Yeah, but it's okay." Scootaloo replied, "it's a nice day outside. It's peaceful, breezy, and speaking about it, not a single Yo-Kai problem in sight!"

"Thank you for waiting!" The staff called to the siblings, "here you go. Enjoy!"

"Thank you ma'am!" First thanked,

"Finally!" Scootaloo licked her lips, ready to dig down, "time for something sweet and refreshing!"

"Hey Scoots," First held the moment,

"Really First?"

"Is it me?" First looked at his ice cream, then back to Scoots "or do you seem to have more than I do?"

"What?" Scootaloo peered at her brother's ice-cream, then back to hers. "No... It looks... just like mine."

"Really?" First looked at his sister's ice-cream, "oh, so it does."

"But..." Scootaloo remembered, "I don't recall my ice cream looking... Different,"

"It still tastes the same, both of you." Whisper sighed while being upside down. "Who cares?"

"Meh... I guess you're right." Scootaloo shrugged ready to dig down.

"Not everything has to be perfect!" First gallantly took a bite... At air.

"What the!?" First looked again, to see his ice cream even shorter, "I-I didn't eat anything!"

"You're still complaining?" Scootaloo replied, "stop thinking too much and just embrace the soft tenderness of the cream!" And she took one big lick... Of the cone.

"WHAT!?" Scootaloo gasped as she realised that what remained of her ice cream a little bit left of that soft serve hidden in the base of the cone. "I didn't eat anything at all!" She eyed the floor, "did I drop it by accident?"

"I don't recall dropping any of mine either..." First also looked at the floor, "Plus, I'm pretty sure I-ahhh!!!" As he raised his head, the fate of his ice cream ended up just like his sister: The biscuit ice-cream cone, with only a few smears of ice cream left inside.

"You've got to be kidding me..." Scootaloo started shaking her hoof in an impending rage. "Y... Y..."

"Sister?" First asked with concern. The sound of cracking and crunching was his answer as Scootaloo crushed her ice-cream cone with her two front hooves.

"YO-KAI!!!!" She bellowed at the top of her lungs

"Keep it down sis!" First jumped, "you'll leave a weird impression on the other ponies here!"

"Whisper, First, there's a no good Yo-Kai eating our ice-creams!" Scootaloo growled,

"Your rage doesn't really justify your accusations..." Whisper countered, "though they may be everywhere, why would a Yo-Kai be interested in--"

"There!" Scootaloo interrupted as she aimed her watch at her brother. A white Yo-Kai was lying on top of his head, lying down in relaxation.

"What!?" Whisper gasped at the realisation.

"Yawwwnnn..." The Yo-Kai yawned, "that was some delectable Ice-Cream. Ain't never tasted anythin' like this since leavin' th' country!"

"There you are!" Scootaloo grabbed the white Yo-Kai.

"Woah!" The Yo-Kai abruptly woke up, "hold yer horses! Ah didn't do anythin' wrong!" As he focused his sight, he was staring straight at a dark orange filly with a very angry face. From Scootaloo's point of view, she was carrying a white dog-like creature with red swirls around his body, yellow eyes, long blue eyebrows that look like actual embers and flames, and a green nap-sack tied around his shoulders.

"Wh-What the?" The Yo-Kai spoke in surprise, "are you a pony th-that can see me?"

"Yes?" Scootaloo tilted her head in confusion but maintaining her angry composure.

"A-And," the Yo-Kai looked at Whisper and First, who was aiming a mysterious contraption with a light at him, "ah assume that y'all can see me too?"

"Yes" First nodded,

"Oh mah swirls!!!" The Yo-Kai exclaimed and struggled in fear,

"Don't move!" Scoots threatened as she continued her angry streak, "otherwise I'll strangle you!"


After First and Whisper managed to calm down Scoots and moved to the Al fresco Café near the Rolling Waves beach, it was time to speak to the mysterious Yo-Kai before them.

"Ah never thought ah'd see a pony or two who would be able to see me in entirety! Y'all must be some interesting folk livin' in th' city!"

"Judging from your language, you don't seem that local. What's your name?"

"Mah name's Komasan." Komasan introduced with a cute introductory gesture, "pleasure to meet y'all!"

"Yep!" Scootaloo concluded, "you're definitely different than the Yo-Kai we normally see around here."

"'Fraid yer right Miss Scoots." Komasan nodded, "ah came from the countryside back in ol' Neighpon. Ah was tryin' to find a place similar to mah home right here in Equestria. Ah've heard rumors sayin' there's some place like it."

"I understand what you mean," Scootaloo replied, "in fact, I know a few ponies who speak like you! Ever heard of Appleloosa? The Apple Family?"

"Hmm..." Komasan wondered, "nope, first time hearin' these places and names."

"Well," First continued, "The Apple Family is a large family that takes pride and love in growing apples for Equestria. There's a big one in Appleloosa, and there's our local area back in Ponyville. My sister is friends with one of the family members."

"Apple growin'? Hmm..." Komasan was lost in thought again, "ah've known such jobs fer ponies, but ah'm afraid ah wasn't part of that."

"So then..." Scootaloo continued speaking, "what do you do? And how did you get here?"

"Back at home, ah was the protector of a Temple." Komasan replied, "me an' mah brother were both tasked with keeping guard as our mama and papa did." His mind darted back years ago, where he sat by a Komainu statue, overlooking the temple gardens before him. "One time, mah brother seemed to 'ave left his post. Said he was goin' away fer a little while. So ah waited, an waited, and waited and waited an..."

"How long did you wait for?" First interrupted,

"Can't remember, 'bout a year? Maybe ten? But anyway, ah do remember that one day. There was some sort of hoe-down happenin' in the garden. There were so many drums, ponies, noises. It was louder than the ol' rooster crowin' in th' mornin'! All that commotion, couldn't help but get mah interest. So ah went to and through the stalls, lookin' at what ah would get from this party. That's when ah set mah eyes on the food of mah dreams." He imagined the first time he saw the beautiful swirly and creamy item called Ice Cream. "Ah couldn't help it. Once tasted it, it was heavenly! Ah just want to eat some right now!" And he leapt up to Whisper head, eager to chomp down on the twirl on his head.

"Ouch!" Whisper cried in pain,

"Whisper isn't ice cream you know..." Scootaloo sighed,

"Oh, mah apologies." Komasan climbed down and bowed in apology. "When the festival ended, ah couldn't stop thinkin' 'bout Ice Cream! So ah left my post fer much longer, hoping to find any sort of ice cream in the countryside. Ah wish ah hadn't done so."

"What happened?"

"When ah came back, there was a wall blockin' the way to the temple, and ah saw some large yellow machines. Ah don't know what they were doin, but ah wasn't able to come back home anymore!"

"The temple was taken down for something else..." First realised, "that's so sad."

"In the end, ah had no place ah could call home, and ah still couldn't find mah brother, nor did he come back. So ah packed up what ah could find, and left the country, and even Neighpon. I hopped upon the long bridge, and travelled all the way t' th' city in Equestria."

"And how did you find it?" Scootaloo continued,

"Crazy ah tell you!" Komasan blurted, "this place was bigger than the sound of the stampeding' cows! Ah got all dizzy walkin' through the crowds of ponies, all them fancy gadgets and machineries!"

"I swear, you really sound like Applebloom and Applejack." Scootaloo noted,

"But ah still wanna continue findin' mah younger brother, even if ah have no idea where the bloomin' heck he is!"

"Well in that case," Scootaloo stood up, "why don't we help you then? Find your brother?"

"R-Really? Are you sure 'bout that?"

"Not at all!" Scootaloo smiled, "besides, I have a plan. It may not work, but it's something."

"What do you have in mind Scoots?" Whisper asked,

"Come on out my friend!" Scootaloo pulled out her watch and a Shady Medal. "Calling Leadoni!" Flipping the medal into the air, she caught it and inserted it into the slot. "Yo-Kai medal, do your thing!"

"Summoning Shady!" With the new tribe chant, a blue light emitted from the watch, and a crude, metal-like tune erupted with very harsh voices as the chanters.

"Marvelously, gutsy free banshee, sing song, Shady!"

"Leadoni!" Leadoni posed, "what can I help you with today?"

"The lyrics of your tribe chant sounds really weird..." First replied, "but that's besides the point."

"We want to ask you for your help. Can you help take us to a certain place?"

"Well, I always love to lead little foals like you astray around Springdale, so of course I know any place you desire to go to!"

"In that case..." First asked, "do you know a Yo-Kai named Komajiro?"

"Komajiro?" Leadoni wondered, "okay then... Now, I'm not sure this is accurate or not, but I know that there is a Yo-Kai who acts as a DJ in the local nightclub for ponies. He goes by the name of KJ. Not sure if this is supposed to be a play-on word. But that's all I can think of!"

"KJ..." Komasan replied, "it does sound an awful lot like Komajiro!"

"But..." First countered "It's a night club! I'm not sure if we're allowed inside!"

"Hang on!" Whisper lightened up, "I have an idea! Why don't we try this?" He whispered into the siblings' ears.

"A-Are you sure this will work!?" Scootaloo jumped, "I know it works on Yo-Kai, but us?"

"Of course!" Whisper laughed "This will make the usual ponies see AND believe! Once night falls and you enter, you'll both blend into the crowd!"

"Uh..." First gulped,

"Let's wait until night falls, then I'll lead you there!" Leadoni replied, "by the way, once I lead you there, I've got other things to do. So good luck for tonight!"

"What about Flash then?" First continued speaking,

"Didn't he say he'll trust us to go out at night time together?" Scootaloo reminded,

"Only for Mount Wildwood! If he finds out we're in a Nightclub, he's going to throw a thunderstorm on us!"

"You are so full of problems and worries..." Scootaloo sighed, "and I thought you'd be tough when you play baseball."


When Luna's night came out, the city of Springdale went quiet, except for some buildings, where loud blaring music was pouring out of one of them. In that building, multiple ponies were crowding the colour-changing dance floor, dancing like they were crazy. On the turntables, an orange pony with interesting facial features, a cap, thick shades, and some accessories stood behind it, scratching disks and adjusting the volume, blaring out techno music from the speakers scattered around the roof and ground.

"Come on everypony!" The DJ announced, "let's dance like crazy tonight yo!"

"Yeah!!!" The crowd called back and continued dancing even more.

"Woo!!!" A mare screamed and spun her head around, her face flushed with red, enjoying herself more than others.

"Hey there!" One of the stallions spotted a pegasus mare. A distinct shade of orange with a long pink spiked-like mane, conscious of her surroundings. "You look new! Can I help you?"

"Uh... N-No thanks!" The mare replied kindly "I-I'm..."

"Don't worry..." The stallion inched closer, "let me show you around... You'll have a good time!"

"Uh..." The mare stepped back in fright and fear,

"Actually," a well-bodied stallion butted in with a firm glare "she's with me." The stallion was also orange, only much lighter than the mare pegasus, and has a mane of dark blue.

"Oh, sorry about that." The stallion disappointingly spoke and trotted away.

"Phew..." Scootaloo sighed with relief, "thanks for the support First."

"Hey, nopony dare touches my older sister." First replied with a smile.

"Well?" Whisper floated next to them, "what did you think about my disguises?"

"Well..." Scootaloo stared at a nearby mirror, the image of the orange pegasus mare staring back at her, "I don't feel any different, but if it managed to fool anypony like that, it is something!"

"Now THAT, is what a butler would do!" First chuckled, "thanks a bunch Whisper!"

"Anytime First!" Whisper saluted,

"Oh mah swirls..." Komasan followed behind, a leaf on top of his head. In the mirror, he looks like a normal greyish-white stallion, with the white eyes instead of yellow, and the swirly features on his face. "A-Ah still feel unusure goin' in' this place y'all..."

"Don't worry," First comforted, "we're on the same boat with you. Now, can you find your brother?"

"It shouldn't be that hard," Scootaloo replied, "remember? Leadoni said that the DJ who comes here goes by the alias of KJ. Komasan also said that it sounded like his brother!"

"But what if it was just a coincidence? What if it's not him?" First replied,

"Alright everypony!" The DJ announced as he scrolled his , "let's kick this beat up to all those loved ones back at home! Your mother! Your Father! Your Sister! Your Bro-BROTHER!?" His voice changed into surprise once his eyes met up with Komasan. The entire audience turned around and stared at the mentioned pony.

"U-Uh... Howdy!" Komasan waved back, with a large gulp. Multiple murmurs went through the crowd.

"Howdy?"

"Did KJ say that countrypony was his brother?"

"Um... I think it's break time for me! I-I'm going to uh... Just leave this place... Y'all... Coming along Komasan?" Komajiro announced, while gesturing towards the back door to his brother, while making sure to choose a certain song to play before running.

"Little Brother!" Komasan ran towards him. As that happened, Komajiro hit play, where a country-like song blared through the speakers. The entire crowd then became a mix of uproar of anger and cheering of laughter. The reasons for these emotions were unknown to the siblings, whether the crowd was angry that their DJ was from the country, or cheering due to the country music.

"That singing..." First perceived as everything went crazy around him, "is that... Pinkie Pie?"

"Never mind that!!!" Scootaloo grabbed his hoof and chomped on Whisper's tail. "We got to get out of here now!"


The two country Yo-Kai brothers scrammed through the kitchen and out the back door without any trouble. Taking a breather, the two began to talk properly for a long time. Looking around and seeing that the path is clear, the two took off their Yo-Kai leaves, removing the illusion.

"Oh my swirls!" Komajiro panted, "ah never thought ah'd see you here!"

"Never though ah'd see you here too Komajiro..." Komasan gasped for breath, "and in places like this..."

"How's the house by th' way?"

"Gone... The ponies seemed to have demolished it when we were away..."

"G-Gone?" Komajiro fell silent, "dang... How long have ah been away? Ah did promise that ah would come back!"

"Yeah, ah was alone..." Komasan continued, "but ah swear ah would find you!"

"Well ya found me alright..." Komajiro replied, "tell you the truth, ah was feeling a little lonely too, even though ah found a good home."

"Ya do?"

"Course! Otherwise, livin' in th' city would be much harder!"

"Ah see..."

"By th' way, you should also know what the city has! Contraptions that can elevate you, food of your own choice served to you, communication between great lengths, how to use the pass gates in order to get into the train, city-life is full of new an' interestin' surprises!"

"I-Is that so?" Komasan gulped then thought to himself "aw dang, livin' in th' city is gonna be much harder than ah thought. Even harder than herdin' a buncha flies into a jar!"

"By the way brother," Komajiro asked, "how did ya find me?"

"There you are Komasan!" A voice called from afar, the two brothers spotted two foals and a plump, white wisp galloping towards them.

"Just in time Miss Scoots and Mister First," Komasan greeted, "these friendly young foals heard me out and were willin' to help."

"So!" Scootaloo focused her watch on the spot next to Komasan, where she revealed Komajiro. "You must be Komasan's little brother!"

"Oh!" Komajiro remembered, "no wonder why you were there! Ah was wonderin' why ah saw two foals with Yo-Kai leaves on their heads. You were helpin' mah brother!"

"So Yo-Kai can see through illusions?" Scootaloo asked,

"Correct!" Whisper nodded, "after all, these Yo-Kai Leaves are designed by Yo-Kai. Only Yo-Kai can see other Yo-Kai's true nature! Some Yo-Kai themselves take on a pony form without the use of a Yo-Kai leaf! Yo-Kai who can do that are very powerful!"

"So I guess Yo-Kai can see through ponies wearing Yo-Kai disguises then." First concluded, "but at least it can fool other ponies!"

"The illusion will be active as long as you keep the leaf on your head." Whisper instructed, "it will only come off by your will and movement. You won't have to worry if it's a windy day! Just remember to take it off before you go home. Otherwise, Flash isn't going to recognise you."

"Yeah," Scootaloo giggled, "he'd be freaked out if he saw his young siblings become as old as he is."

"Anyway," Komasan chimed in "thanks for helping me Y'all! Not only am ah reunited with ma brother, ah guess ah'm stayin' here in the city! Here." He pulled out his Yo-Kai Medal, "call on me whenever ya need help. If ya need somethin' related to dancin' or a guardian, ah'm yer Yo-Kai!"

"Here!" Komajiro offered, "take mine too! Whatever mah older brother does, ah'll do too! It's quite amazin' to see that a pair of ponies that can see us are siblings like we are!"

"Yeah, it is. I also guess we're not the only ones that'll have to adapt to Springdale's lifestyle." First replied, "We'll see you guys around!"

"Catch you later!" Scootaloo waved goodbye to the brothers as they walked their separate ways.

"Hey" First asked, "do you think we'll see them again?"

"Of course!" Whisper replied, "they'll be living here as long as you'll be!"


Dear Mama

It's been a long time since I've had the time able to write to you. Ever since our home in Neighpon has been taken down by the ponies, I felt very lonely for a long time without Komajiro, wandering endlessly throughout the plains of Neighpon and even stumbling into a foreign land! At first, I thought I was never going to find Komajiro, but if it wasn't for two little foals who were able to see us, they helped me find out that he was located in the city, acting like one of them! Regardless, I'm glad that we were able to find each other and settle down somewhere in the city. I don't know how long we'll stay here, but it feels real nice. It's going to be a hard time adapting to city life, but without Komajiro and those two friendly foals to help me out, I may never have a chance! Here's to you Mama, for Komajiro and those two friendly foal folks.

"Hey Big Bro?"

"Yeah?"

"Umm... As much as we can house up here, we've still got a problem..."

"What is it?"

"Well..."

Author's Note:

I've decided to break schedule for this chapter due to it being Komasan and Komajiro. That and since University has started, it's going to be hard to write stories. So I may not upload often.

Regardless, thank you for all your support and hope you have enjoyed reading this story.

Also, I will put up a Yo-Kai list here on who has befriended the siblings on which chapters.
Chapter 2: Whisper, Jibanyan and Ake
Chapter 3-1: Dazzabel and Heheheel
Chapter 3-2: Pandle
Chapter 3-3: Buhu, Dulluma, Negatibuzz and Cutta-Nah
Chapter 3-4: Hungramps, Grubsnitch and Wantston
Chapter 4-1: Cadin
Chapter 4-2: Walkappa and Droplette
Chapter 4-3: Happiere and Dismarelda
Chapter 4-4: Wiglin, Steppa and Rhyth
Chapter 4: Mynimo and Leadoni