• Published 17th Nov 2014
  • 6,218 Views, 134 Comments

Strangers Like Me - Brightlight24



Rick has been a shy and seclusive person of humble growth ever since he came to Equestria, much like in his previous life back home. However, when Twilight invites him to the Grand Galloping Gala in the hopes of getting him out of his seclusive shell

  • ...
39
 134
 6,218
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
Comments ( 30 )

Dude's so afflicted, he didn't even consider the fact that Twilight didn't teleport in was because she respected his privacy.

If she doesn't adapt her behavior to the situation, Celestia's constant provoking is gonna do a number on Rick, I can tell that much. He's gonna bottle up the insecurity of her friendly jabs and advances because he has no sense of humor, and sometime or later, he's gonna go FULL-FLEDGED paranoid.

Hopefully this won't end in tears and sedatives.

"Feel bad." To "feel badly" means to be bad at feeling. Sorry, adverb confusion is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. :derpytongue2:

Rick is a train wreck of nerves and self-loathing, it's incredibly heartbreaking to read about.....but I feel like the payoff of the princess pulling him out of his shell is going to be so much sweeter because of it!

Hope to see the next chapter soon!:heart:

I'll be honest. Rick reminds me of myself in some ways...

AWESOME CHAPTER BTWWWWWWWWWW

Oh I can't wait to see how it goes, I bet he will go cover in so many layers of cloths he will resemble a caterpillar

Dude should be starving by now if he hadn't been eating for three days.... Or out of food.
Keep going! ;)

I have to be honest, when I first came across your story I was.... undecided? I think that would be a good word to describe how I felt, anyways.. I read the first 2 chapters and Rick was so "shy and withdrawn" that I made this story hard for me read, but as of about a week ago I returned and read the 3rd, then the 4th and finally the 5th. Despite my my first impressions of this story I'm am extremely looking forward to see what other situations Rick finds himself in. :twilightsmile:

I know it's sort of a long comment but over all what I'm trying to say is that after these last 2 chapters you've got me hooked and I can't wait to see the progression of Rick as a character and the whole story in general.
P.S. the whole idea of writing chapter focused solely on the journal entries, is an awesome idea. Keep up the awesome work! :twilightsmile:

Great chapter! :pinkiegasp:
I hope the next one updates as fast. :ajsmug:

Hmmm, not sure.

6161858
He's mentally ill, to put not too fine a point on it. There's being shy and there's being cripplingly avoidant and phobic of social situations. It's a pretty tragic kind of thing. I'm not really sure I want to read a story about that.

6162795 i.ytimg.com/vi/2yKRXIqxf7s/maxresdefault.jpg this is the human in this fanfic basically. Anytime he's faced with real social interaction he spills his pasta everywhere. A lot of socially incapable individuals want to move to Equestria. If they could it would be a nightmare. Friendship and social interaction is not optional.

6163137
Truer words have never been spoken. The land of obligatory friendship is not kind to the shut-in.

I feel bad for Rick. I can't imagine what it's like to not be able to be around others without have a panic attack of some sort. I hope Celestia will be able to help him out of his shell.

She forgot something. Where are they meeting? :twilightsheepish:

6162171

Maybe he's like me and doesn't want to be bothered with a lot of running around to buy things, so he stocks up for a week/week and a half at a time.

Wow, Celestia, you know what a emotinal trainwreck the poor lad is, and at the last moment saying "it's a date" to him after you finally cleared up any missunderstandings you two had with each other, thus messing him up.....again! you mean mare you!

6190446 She wasn't as bad as this guy. From what I understand, he was afraid of going out side his house. Fluttershy wasn't that bad in the show.

Please update soon.

Knew the Gala thing was a bad idea. This guy has a severe case of social anxiety. He could have had a heart attack. The way to do this is to do it slowly. A small party was..a decent touch but even then a tad too far. To help him with this type of thing you need to take it slow. Shoving him to the Gala was a horrible idea. I myself only have a relatively mild case of social anxiety, and even I would almost have a nervous breakdown if I was pushed into going to the Gala.

Everyone would obviously stare at the bipedal alien. And that's waaay to much for someone with even a mild case of Anthropophobia to handle. Let alone someone with such a severe case of it like Rick has.

RIP another favorite story.

6595444

The story isn't dead, I assure you. Some bigger projects have been getting in the way, but I will, in fact, update this story soon.

5281768
Glad I'm not the only who thought of that song when I read the title.:twilightsmile:

Rick.exe as stop working

such a good story

May I ask, when do you plan to revive this story? Cause as the days go on I sit here waiting in anticipation for the next chapter..... But it never came :ajsleepy:

Plz continue it has peaked my interest

I hope you plan on continuing your story, Strangers Like Me. I look forward to seeing where you take that story.

This is...ok, but its not for me.

The main character is very very, awkward. Uncomfortably painfully so, and to the point that I actually cringe when reading this. Not cringing because of bad writing. I want to be clear about that. This isn't poorly written at all. What I mean is that reading this makes me very very uncomfortable because I feel so bad for the character.

If I could give the author some advice, it would be this. Stories have to have an ebb and flow. What I mean by this is that you need the stressful situations, followed by low key or light hearted moments. Stress, followed by release. SHORT stories can get away with constant building tension, because they are short and end before the reader burns out. A great example of these are the stories by H.P.Lovecraft. He is a master of the constant slow buildup of stress. Again, it works because the reader finishes the story relatively quickly. The mistake that this story makes is that the Author holds the main characters head under water the entire time during all five chapters. The character never experiences down time or light hearted moments. These are important for two reasons. As said before, the readers need downtime, the other reason is than its in the every day, light hearted moments that the character can shine. Can show the reader why he is likable. These are times where the readers can bond to the character. Constant buildup, never shows the character in the best light and as the chapters progress, the readers stop remembering why they should like the character. These are things that really should be considered when pacing a story.

Monk

11362192
I appreciate it! Funny that you mention Lovecraft. He's actually the creator of some of my favorite stories!

(I'd say favorite author but uh... he was a less than ideal individual)

Login or register to comment