• Published 26th Oct 2014
  • 1,166 Views, 68 Comments

Diamond Tiara's Birthday Wish - 366 Days of Fun - Theo Vellum



Diamond Tiara's birthday doesn't go so good, but she's glad that she was able to spend time with her family and friends. So what better birthday wish than to be able to spend more time having fun with them than ever before?

  • ...
2
 68
 1,166

Day 13 November 6th Thursday: The First Snowfall


My eyes flickered open and shut once the alarm woke me up. It was a long night last night... Too long. Maybe we should take a break from these long night events for a while. I look over to Silver, lying on her stomach beside my bed with her glasses still on and her hair a total mess. I hear a groan escape her lips. She probably agrees with me.

I hit the alarm and find my way out of bed. Geez, the window's really bright today. It’s no use, I’m going to have to shut the curtains if I want my eyes to adjust. Once the curtains are shut, I turn the light knob on my bedside window to low and let my eyes adjust to that first. I brush my hair as my eyes adjust to the light. Silver strolls up next to me and does the same.

“No more late night excursions for at least a month, ok?”

“Other than the stargazes and you have a deal. Though I can’t promise something else won’t happen.”

“That’s the very definition of our deal, promising it.”

“Then I can’t keep it, never know what will happen.”

We soon finish our morning rituals and we each get our saddlebags. We double check to see if we put our homework in them, Silver almost had a panic attack when she thought her assignment was missing, but it was just in the other pouch. I don’t blame her though, it was a special report on the history of cooking utensils from olden days to now. That was certainly a subject she knew well.

We make our way down the stairs once our eyes are fully adjusted. Dazzle’s still sleeping upstairs, but he’ll make his way downstairs soon enough. We trot towards the kitchen, turn on the light, and prepare ourselves breakfast.

Usually Randolph is up very early fixing me, my Daddy, and Dazzle’s breakfast. It is kind of odd though. Even when he pulls an all nighter he’s usually ready to fix us breakfast in the morning...

“Silver, where do you think Randolph is?”

“Probably resting after I beat him over the head with my giant spoon. It may have been a prank but no one messes with us on my watch.”

“No, seriously, Silver, I think we should go check on him. You did hit him pretty ha-”

We hear the front door open in the other room. We can hear Randolphs voice coming from there.

“Hey kids, I just finished clearing the driveway, why aren’t you out here playing in the snow?”

We both freeze. Did... Did he just say what I thought he said?

“Silver, go get us some scarfs. And tell Dazzle the first snowfall has come.”

“Roger that!” Silver gives a small salute and rushes upstairs.

The first batch of snow came early this year. There must have been a change in plans with the weather pegasi. Not that it isn’t welcome...

Silver Spoon runs down stairs, Dazzle clumsily in tow. She hands each of us scarves of varying patterns. The scarves go very well together, as do all of our wardrobes.

“Ok, Dazzle, we have about 20 minutes before we’ve gotta head out for school. We will play plenty once we get back. But don’t follow me to school again. Cheerilee is still a bit mad at you for the incident with the beach ball, the sandbags, and the makeshift hot air balloon.”

Dazzle nods in agreement, when Cheerilee gets mad, and that is a rare sight, it’s not pretty.

“One more thing, Dazzle, after last night... I’d watch your back. You never know when payback will bite you in the rear...”

Dazzle makes a gulping sound, and nods again, this time much more slowly.

“On that note," Silver says, drawing our attention, "it’s time to snow have fun!”

The pun singed a bit, but it was soon healed by the cool snow we went to play in. There wasn’t much we could do in 20 minutes though. So we decided to build snowponies. Well, I attempted to, anyway. The snow I gathered wasn’t that great for making snowponies, and it looks like Dazzle is having trouble finding a good batch too.

Silver on the other hand...

“Hey Diamond, what do you think?”

I turn around to see what Silver is making and...

“EEEEEEK! Silver!”

Silver had been making a snow timberwolf and it’s gaping mouth looked as if it could nearly eat me alive. If it wasn’t a snow sculpture, that is.

“You like? I’m trying something new this winter. The latest snowpony trends show that scarier sculptures are in this year.”

“A-Are they now? Why... I never would’ve guessed.” The latest trends scare me sometimes... Fillies these days. “Anyway, what do you think of my sculpture, Silver?”

“You mean... That... Um... What is that?”

“Why, it’s Dazzle, silly!”

Upon hearing his name, Dazzle walks up to the snow sculpture. After looking at it for a few seconds, he begins to retch.

“Dazzle! It’s... It’s not that bad is it?”

Silver looks at me with a look I hate being given, pity. “Um, I hate to tell you this, but you should stick to regular snow ponies.”

“You... You guys are mean! It’s a unique art style! There’s nothing wrong with it! Art is in the eye of the beholder! You guys just don’t... don’t...” I like to think of myself as a very creative pony, and I don’t take criticism well on my works of art. So of course I cried! Any filly would! It’s not that strange... There’s nothing wrong with it! I mean, I learned it was ok to cry after that time Silver and I got in a fight... But that was a while ago, and a story for another day.

“DT... I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings... I’m sure that if you entered it into an abstract art competition...”

“It wasn’t meant to be a-abstract!”

“Urgh... Dazzle, I’m not good when she’s like this, you take care of this.”

I’m so busy crying that I don’t even notice Dazzle walk up to me and wipe the tears out of my eye. He brushes his paw along the snow and gives me an apologetic look.

“It’s no use, Dazzle. I saw you gagging.”

Dazzle gives me a sheepish smile, then appears to think for a bit. I see him drawing a small picture in the snow, it starts as a bunch of nonsense scribbles but eventually forms into a great drawing.

“I... I think I understand. You mean every artist, big or small, starts somewhere, right?”

Dazzle gives a nod of approval. I’ve been with him so long I can understand him easily.

“Alright. I’ll do it! I’ll become a great snow sculptor, and I will impress the other kids at school with my skills at it! Then I’ll be able to-”

“Kids, shouldn’t you be getting to school?”

We all look at the clock on the outside wall of the house.

“Oh no, oh no, OH NO! We’re going to be late! Silver, hurry! Dazzle, bye!”

I wave back at Dazzle and soon he is out of sight. I am not going to be late today! Not now, and not ever!

Author's Note:

I'm kind of ashamed of myself for waiting for so long, but here's the thing. I kind of... Hate winter. I loved it when I was a kid, but now I hate it. So it's hard to capture the magic of winter in this story as well as I can... Sorry...