• Published 26th Oct 2014
  • 1,166 Views, 68 Comments

Diamond Tiara's Birthday Wish - 366 Days of Fun - Theo Vellum



Diamond Tiara's birthday doesn't go so good, but she's glad that she was able to spend time with her family and friends. So what better birthday wish than to be able to spend more time having fun with them than ever before?

  • ...
2
 68
 1,166

Day 12 November 5th Wednesday: The Ghost in the Basement

“I’m gonna get you, Diamond Tiara! Come out, come out wherever you are!”

Fat chance, this hiding place is perfect... No one would ever think to look here!

“Oh gee... I wonder if that’s Miss Diamond Tiara’s tail sticking out from behind the dresser?”

Oh, crud pudge. Ok, I just have to make it back to home base, then I’ll- Oh no... I’m stuck. Just great. Well, there goes my win.

“Here, DT, let me help you out from there.”

Silver Spoon and I had been playing hide and chase in the house. Basically, you have to hide somewhere in the house and wait for the perfect opportunity to steal the opponents flag at home base. The catch is I had to hide super far away from home base. By super far away I mean the opposite side of the house. I thought I chose an awesome hiding spot, but... I got stuck. Silver ended up having to help me out. Which means...

“Oh, by the way. Tag. You lose.” Silver can’t help but giggle, and neither can I. Our giggling attracts the attention of Randolph.

“Now, girls, isn’t it time you went to bed already?”

Daddy had important business to attend to in Canterlot tonight, so Randolph is the one that ended up taking care of us. He’s being pretty strict with us tonight though... I wonder why? Maybe Dad told him to keep a closer eye on us after the whole mad doctor incident. That would explain it.

“Fine, Uncle Randolph. We’ll get ready for bed.” Ha! As if! Silver and I already know were going to stay up as long as we can. We will just have to be a bit more quiet from this point on.


“Goodnight children. Have pleasant dreams. Don’t let the bedbugs bite, and most importantly-”

“GOODNIGHT!”

“...Goodnight!”

We stay quiet. We want to make sure he’s gone before we start off the big event. The night of scary stories! I won’t be scared though. They are just stories, nothing to be scared about.

Confident that Randolph isn’t outside the door, we make a little indoor tent out of the sheets and a few of Silver’s model spoons. Entering the makeshift tent, Silver and I prepare some pillows to lay on, and I bring the flashlight with me for special effects... That’s when I hear a meow. It sounds like Dazzle was woken from his slumber.

“Dazzle... Pssst. Get in here, we are starting the scary stories.”

Dazzle drags in a small pillow from his bed. He paces around in a circle to soften the pillow up then lays down in what looks like a comfy position. He looks dreary-eyed.. It wouldn’t surprise me if he fell asleep mid story.Still, he’s so cute laying in that position. Maybe we’ll stay by him like this and go to sleep as well once we finish our stories.

“I have a pretty good story to tell you two. I know because Uncle Randolph told it to me.” I shine the flashlight in front of my face. “It’s called The Chained Dog’s Cries. I bet you will be shaking by the time this story is done.”

“...Uh huh.” Silver rolls her eyes as she leans back into a comfortable position. I'm tempted to remind her of the Nightmare Night party incident, but that might be going a bit far.

Oh well, she can be sarcastic all she wants. But this story is going to scare her, if it’s the last thing I do.

“You see, this story is not only scary but also true. A truly scary story. It is about back when this mansion belonged to another family. This family, known as the Standard Family, was considered in all respects to be a very normal family, for rich family standards.”

“Pssshhh, this story isn’t scary. Dazzle could do better in his sleep. Right, Dazzle?”

Dazzle nodded and did some pretend snores.

“Wow, your snoring is SO scary, Dazzle.”

“Achem. Can you just wait a bit? It’ll get scary soon, I promise.”

Silver raises her eyebrow. She waves her hoof as if to say ‘go on’.

“They were supposedly considered the standard all families should live up to and achieve to be. But one day, something happened in this family. A pony by the name of Gold Standard found an ancient treasure when he was constructing a basement in the mansion. The mansion itself was very old when they got it and hadn’t been lived in for a long time, so nobody knew that there was a small room of treasure buried beneath it.”

“This kind of sounds like a happy story, DT. Tell me it gets scary soon.”

“Oh... It does. The family had become even more rich than they were before. But they soon became greedy, something about the treasure was so evil, so greed inducing, that they completely forgot their old values... Fighting started to form between them, and everyone was on edge. Gold Standard, the one who discovered the treasure, was completely enamored by it. He kept all of his treasure in the basement, and even bought a guard dog. He was completely cruel to the dog though, he abused it and would starve it, saying it would toughen it up. Well, if it toughened him up, it sure made it so he despised his owner...”

Silver had sat up. She didn’t even realise it herself, but she was very interested in where the story was going. Dazzle looks angry at this point in the story. Probably thinking how bad it is that he can’t help get the dog’s revenge on Gold Standard. Heh... He’ll know soon enough.

“One day though, Gold Standard disappeared. He had just up and vanished. The rest of the family seized this opportunity to go to the basement and steal the treasure... But when they entered... They encountered the lifeless skull of Gold Standard, being chewed on by the very guarddog he had mistreated. They ran away from the dog, and finally broken out of the trance, they abandoned the house and told no one to go there ever again. That was a hundred and fifty-three years ago....”

“Wow... That’s actually really scary...”

“Heh... I’m not done yet. This is a ghost story after all...”

Silver and Dazzle tense up. They seem to get what I’m driving at.

“You see, deep into the night, you can still hear the chains of the dog as he patrols the treasure below. To make sure no one ever takes the treasure and becomes as cruel as his master, what this dog doesn’t realise is... He’s already become as cruel as his old master. And won’t hesitate to kill any filly who enters the basement.”

Silver has started shaking. Time to reel in the story to it’s climax.

“You know... At first I didn’t believe this story, but then I heard chains. And not just in the basement. Sometimes at night, I hear chains coming from the kitchen, and suddenly there is some food missing from the fridge the next morning, and some paw prints leading from the basement... One day though, my fears were brought to light. I had gone to get a midnight snack, but there was already something getting one, something that looks just like...”

I turn off the flashlight, and grab the mask I hid beneath the pillow and put it on. The next moment I turn the flashlight on.

“THIS!” Dazzle jumps back and extends his claws, Silver doesn’t scream, she just stares blue in the face. She attempts to regain her composure, but it’s a lost cause. I totally got her!

“Admit it Silver, I got you and you know it!”

“I... I wasn’t scared! I so wasn’t scared, I didn’t even scream!”

“Ha! You didn’t have to. The look on your face said it all!”

"I was just surprised that you put on such an ugly mask. I mean, it so doesn’t suit you.”

“I suppose that could be the case, after all... Such a sweet little filly like me... Turning into such a monster. I mean the very thought of it is-”

We hear the sound of rattling metal from downstairs. It seems to be coming from the kitchen. But... That can’t be right. I know that story’s made up. Randolph couldn’t really have been telling me a true story? Could he? No... It’s probably just Randolph getting something to eat. But why would he be making that kind of sound?

“Diamond, you did make that story up, right? Did you really see a ghost dog eating from the fridge?”

“No, of course not! I made that part of the story up! There’s no way that dog exists, I’m sure Randolph was just trying to scare me last Nightmare Night...”

The rattling sounds come once again. I guess it couldn’t hurt to check, could it? So...

“Dazzle, will you be a dear and check what Randolph is doing? Pretty please?” I give him the saddest kitty cat face I can muster. I get a growl in return. I continue making the sad face however, and eventually it gets through. Dazzle leaves the tent and I can hear the kitty door opening and closing.

“Diamond Tiara, he didn’t seem happy. Are you sure that’s a good idea?”

“Silver... If anyone could handle a ghost dog, it’s my little Dazzle.”

“... Good point.”

It doesn’t take long for me to get worried though. Dazzle should have been back by now. Randolph’s room is on the way to the kitchen, and the kitchen isn’t that far away to begin with. Dazzle knows his way to the kitchen very well, he couldn’t possibly get lost. He’s got cat vision, for crying out loud.

“Should we go see what’s up? He should have been back by now.” Silver has concern plastered clearly on her face.

“Well, I think he might just have gotten something to eat from Randolph, but...”

“MRRRRRROW!!”

“Was that Dazzle just now?”

What a stupid question, of course that was Dazzle! There is no other kitty in the house! But more importantly...

“DT, what are you doing?”

“I’m getting ready to save my kitty!”

I equip myself with a slingshot and a bunch of hard candies, some black licorice left over, and strap Silver’s giant model spoon she gave me on my back. Before Silver can object I dash out the door. I hear her hoofsteps follow behind me. I have to make it to the kitchen. I race down the stairs without turning the lights on. Because of that I nearly end up falling down them completely, but I don’t care. Right now all I care about is seeing if Dazzle is alright!

“Diamond, will you slow down? Nothing’s happened to... Dazzle...”

Both of us stare at the kitchen. It is in a state of disarray from what we can see under Luna’s moon. Food is on the floor everywhere, and I can see tiny paw prints leading from the basement... Could... Could there really be- Could there really be a ghost dog down there?!

“Silver, hold the flashlight. I’m going in.”

“No, Diamond, I’ll go downstairs with you, I need to be able to protect you, not just give you light.”

“This isn’t debatable, Silver. That monster has got my Dazzle, and I’m not going to let it take him without a fight. You stay out of this!”

“No, Diamond, I really think I should-”

“Shhhhhhh... Did you hear that?”

We take another listen, it’s the sound of things being thrown around in the basement.

“Dazzle! I’m coming to save you!” I follow the paw prints to the basement door. I open it without hesitation and run downstairs. I hear Silver following behind me.

“Silver, I told you to-”

“GRRRRROWWWWWWWWWL!”

I scream in terror at the sudden sound behind me. All my bravado sinks away and I just scream my head off and try to hide myself with anything. I can feel Silver’s hooves grab the model spoon from my back and the sound of smacking ensues, and interestingly enough, sounds from a pony in pain.

“Silver, stop! Stop! It’s me, Randolph!”

What? It was... Randolph?

“R-Randolph, what are you doing down here, and in such a scary costume?”

At this point I look up and see Randolph in a torn monster dog costume.

“Listen Randolph, I don’t know what kind of game you’re trying to pull, but if you hurt Dazzle in any way I’m going to-”

“Mrow.”

“DAZZLE! Oh, my little angel is safe!”

I envelope Dazzle in a big hug. He seems none too pleased.

“But... What exactly are you two doing down here?”

As it turned out, Randolph had only pretended to go to his room and had listened to us tell ghost stories when he got an idea for how to punish us for staying up so late. The original plan was for him to slowly advance from the kitchen to our room using some chains to scare us along the way. But when Dazzle showed up, his plan changed. He decided to enlist Dazzle’s help in scaring us and boy were we scared. Well, mostly. But he wasn't expecting us to bring a blunt weapon, and he certainly wasn't expecting Silver to use it against him. I guess we all learned a lesson today. Except Dazzle. Dazzle just laughed at the situation. I’ll have to get back at him somehow... But not today. It’s time for us to fall asleep.

Day 12 END

Author's Note:

Sorry about the delay, you may have noticed that I changed the title. I don't think I'll be able to write every day for a whole year, but I'm still going to make this 366 chapters long. So... See ya later when I post the next chapter! If only I didn't get so sick during the winter...