• Published 26th Oct 2014
  • 1,165 Views, 68 Comments

Diamond Tiara's Birthday Wish - 366 Days of Fun - Theo Vellum



Diamond Tiara's birthday doesn't go so good, but she's glad that she was able to spend time with her family and friends. So what better birthday wish than to be able to spend more time having fun with them than ever before?

  • ...
2
 68
 1,165

Day 2 October 26th Sunday: Birthday Presents Aftermath

You know what every birthday filly does on the day after their birthday? They totally spend all morning playing with their birthday presents! I never gave you details about what exactly they were. For the most part the presents were pretty unremarkable. Of course you already know about Randolph’s Grand Galloping Gala tickets. I had to ask Dazzle quite a few times before he actually gave me his present. As it turns out... It was some kind of book. When I opened it up however, I saw photos. Photos of all the fun things me and Dazzle have done over the years. C’mon, Diamond Tiara, you're a big filly. You won’t cry over something so stupidly sweet... Oh, too late...

As happy tears formed in my eyes that morning, Dazzle looked at me with concern. He was not concerned for long though. I wrapped my hooves around him and gave him a great big kitty hug! But as it turns out, that wasn’t the only thing he got me. He had also gotten me a big camera of my own, so that way I can make some pictures to put in there myself sometime. Oh man, the only thing that could ruin this now is...

“Oh Diamond Tiara! Are you up there? It’s time for the challenge!”

Mashed Potatoes, of course. Might as well get this over with. I’m not even out of my room, when Button Mash comes galloping up the stairs. He gets right up in my face with exclamations about how this will be the final showdown and other stupid stuff. It isn’t long before the game is booted up and we’re ready to start the bet.

Wow, he really has been practicing. The first match is pretty tough, and I barely manage to beat him. He says it’s just luck, but we both know that I’m pretty skilled at this. Unfortunately, so is he, judging by the beatdown I get in the second match. No big deal, though; I’m just a little rusty. We’re about halfway through round three when Silver starts commentating like some sportscaster. Wait... When did she even get here? No time to figure it out, too busy fighting.

“And Miss Diamond Tiara is given the beatdown once again! It seems Mr. Button Mash has truly been practicing for a moment to take my be- I mean, his fiercest rival!” You know, maybe I wouldn’t be getting beat down so bad if you didn’t make my ego drop each time you say it.

“Oh! And that’s another victory for Button Mash, king of the controller. Can Diamond pick up the slack and make a comeback? Can she finally lay this rivalry to rest? Probably not, but she still might win the bet and walk away with the prizes.”

That’s right, I need to step up my game if I’m ever going to end this rivalry with my pride intact! Ok, no more Miss nice Tiara! I’m going to crush him under my hoof!

“Alright, everypony, it’s time for round number four. Let’s see if Diamond can—whoa! KO’d right out of the gate! Oooh, that’s gonna leave a mark, for sure. Way to turn the tide, Diamond. But can she keep it up?”

I can see Button Mash getting a little nervous, but it only lasts for a moment before the next match starts. We continue through our matches, and we generally stay neck and neck. I’m starting to become a little tense myself, and it’s only getting worse as our bet drags on. Sometimes, one of us will pull ahead, but then the other take up the slack and we’re right back where we were. After I don’t know how many hours, our fiftieth match finally comes to a close. I won, of course.

Button throws the controller down and says something in some nerd language. I just smile and bump hooves with Silver, but then Button points at the screen.

“Wait, look!”

I look, and my jaw drops. The scoreboard says we’re tied at twenty-five wins each. How did that even happen? What are the odds?

“We’re still tied,” he mutters at the floor. “I can still win!” He picks the controller up again. “C’mon, Button, you’re still in this.”

What a weirdo. Who talks to themselves in the third person? Not Diamond Tiara. “Ugh, give it a rest already,” I tell him. “You said fifty and we did fifty. It’s done.”

“That was the bet, yeah,” Silver chimed in. “But… We still don’t have a winner.”

“Time for a tie-breaker. C’mon, Diamond, or are you still a—”

I shove my hoof in his mouth and pick up my controller. “Fine, if it’ll shut you up, let’s finish this.”

Silver starts up again. “And so begins round fifty-one. The match to end all matches. The match that will decide, once and for all, who is the ultimate gamer. Our competitors are ready, the stage is set. Ready, fight!”

I can feel a little sweat running down my face, but my hooves are too busy with the controller to wipe it away. I glance at Button. His eyes are glued to the screen, his mouth is open, and his tongue is hanging out. Gross, but he’s focused. I turn back to the TV, and the final match begins.

I grit my teeth, eyes squinching shut as my hooves pound the buttons. Kicks and punches fly back and forth across the screen, accompanied by fireballs and lightning every once in the while. We trade combos back and forth until we’re both almost out of health, then we each jump back to avoid getting hit. We pause, waiting, watching the other character to see what they’re going to do.

“It’s down to the wire,” Silver says. “One more good hit from either side, and it’s all over. Who will win? Who will take home today’s ultimate prize? Who will triumph—”

And suddenly, it was all over. We both jumped through the air at the same time, swinging our hooves at one another. One of us swung just a little too late, though, and fell to the Manehattan pavement in defeat.

“Nooooo!!!” Button screamed, his controller flying from his hooves and landing somewhere on the other side of the room. He collapses on my carpet, covering his stupid face in his hooves. Silver is just staring at him, her mouth hanging open. I stand up, wipe the sweat away from my head, and put the controller down. I smirk at the sobbing colt on my floor, victorious.

Mashed Potatoes is still weeping, so I go and get some cookies for me and Silver. I called for Randolph, but he was busy helping my dad. Button has finally gotten up by the time I get back from the kitchen.

“You… you win,” he finally admits. No duh, right? “W-which games d-do you want?”

“Pfft, I don’t care about your stupid games. I have all the same ones you do, anyway.” He made sure of that. “We have all the same systems, too, so you can keep those.”

“But… but it was a bet.”

I roll my eyes and eat a cookie. I’m trying to let him off easy and he just won’t let it go. I don’t even care about the stupid games. Whatever. “Fine. We’ll just say you owe me one.”

Mashed Potato Brains seems to be thinking about it. I can almost hear the rusty gears in his head. “Yeah, okay. Deal.”

“Good. Now go away.”

Button heads for the door, but he stops after a second. “Hey, do you think we could have a rema—” He starts running, though, after I start throwing cookies at him.

“Hey, I was gonna eat those!”

“There’s more in the kitchen, Silver.”

“Oh, okay. I’mma go get some.”

Silver trots off and returns with more cookies, though she gets the gross oatmeal ones. How can ponies stand to eat those? Especially the ones with raisins. Raisins are the worst. They’re like these shriveled-up little thingies. Who would wanna eat something so wrinkly? Only nerds like Button… and Silver, but she’s okay. She can eat raisins if she wants.

Where was I? Oh, right. With most of the day spent on Button’s little bet, there wasn’t much time to play with the rest of my presents before bedtime. What else did I get for my birthday? Well, to be honest... It's not really that important. Although... There was this one dress that's going to be useful for an upcoming holiday...

Day 2 END

Author's Note:

This chapter co-written by Bootsy Slickmane.