• Published 26th Oct 2014
  • 1,166 Views, 68 Comments

Diamond Tiara's Birthday Wish - 366 Days of Fun - Theo Vellum



Diamond Tiara's birthday doesn't go so good, but she's glad that she was able to spend time with her family and friends. So what better birthday wish than to be able to spend more time having fun with them than ever before?

  • ...
2
 68
 1,166

Day 11 November 4th Tuesday: The Running of the Leaves


“And this, class, is the starting line for the running of the leaves. This location, like most of the track, has been chosen from a geological standpoint as the best starting location in order to get the most leaves off the trees in a traditional way, rather than just with magic. Ponyville is a very old fashioned place in that way.”

Oh, please. Both you and I know that they turned the annual Running of the Leaves into a race just to increase the very low participation rates over the last decade. Even Celestia herself knows. After all, she’s the one who suggested to make it into a race. I heard that since some roughhousing last year, Princess Twilight will be here to see that no more cheating takes place.

Princess Twilight, I may have ended up pushing her the wrong way during the whole Twilight Time incident. I heard she can be very forgiving though, so maybe there will be a chance to explore her castle one day.

“Now remember class, some pegasi will be taking us all in chariots to a nearby hill when the race starts. We will be having a picnic there as the race unfolds, and I want you all to be on your best behavior. Remember the three rules of field trips. Recite it with me.”

Rule one, always stay in a group. Groupies are besties.

Rule two, don’t bother the other adults. Adultsies are busies.

Rule three, if someone suspicious is talking to a filly or colt, tell a teacher immediately. Worries are for good reasies.

Yes, those are the actual group rules instilled by the school board a few years ago. Miss Cheerilee and the class couldn’t keep a straight face when we first had to recite them. But we’ve gotten rather used to them by now. We also have a rule from Miss Cheerilee that we have to recite them at least once on every single trip, usually early on. It may seem annoying, but they have grown on us over the years.

Soon we are all on the chariots. I can see a familiar pink pony waving at the audience from an air balloon up above. She must be giving the commentary again this year. I still kind of hold a grudge against her for the birthday party incident, but she still made my cuteceñera exactly the way I wanted it to be, minus the incident with those blank flanks, but I’ve learned that when the CMC get together to do something, no one sees it coming until it’s too late. Not even Pinkie Pie.

“Get set... Get ready... Go, Speed Racers, Go!”

We take off as soon as the race starts. I can see the dust trail being left behind by the racers. They’re really starting off fast this year. Although I think I read in a book somewhere that pacing yourself is the key to winning races, or at least getting a high place. It could be the book was a piece of crud, judging by how many racers are starting off really fast.

Either way, I’m mostly here for the picnic. I’m not really interested in the results of the race.


“Now class, I want you all to share the food I brought. There is enough for all of you, as well as only one dessert for each of us. They are courtesy of the Cakes, so be sure to send them your regards after the race.”

... Stupid hurting teeth. I had almost forgotten about them. This isn’t going to go away anytime soon, is it? Well, at least the potato salad looks teeth-friendly.I grab a bunch of that, in addition to some sliced tomatoes. Silver Spoon takes some potato salad as well, and by some I mean a lot. She loves herself some potato salad.

“Now Silver Spoon, leave some for the rest why don’t you?”

“Yes, Miss Cheerilee...”

We watch the race go on below. It looks like Princess Twilight is flying above the racers as they go along, she’s gotten pretty good at flying surprisingly enough. I sometimes saw her practicing with Rainbow Dash after she got her wings, she hit dirt a lot. It’s rather un-princess like, but even I know if I suddenly grew wings and a horn I would have trouble controlling them. Not that I haven’t thought about it...

Speaking of Rainbow Dash, she currently has the lead. I know this because Scootaloo is going on and on about it. I can also tell when Applejack passes her, cause then Apple Bloom starts doing the loud cheers. Ugh.

“So class, which of you can tell me the original reason The Running of the Leaves were started?”

Oh great, a pop quiz. Let’s see, it was around the time Equestria had been founded... So...

“Was it because the Earth Ponies wanted to be able to affect how at least one of the seasons changed all on their own? I mean, until that time it was the Unicorns who had been doing most of the season changing.”

Cheerilee gives me an approving nod. “Yes class, Diamond Tiara is right. Well, she’s sort of right. There were a lot more reasons than that, but those were the basic reasons.”

Cheerilee continued to ask us questions about The Running of the Leaves and it’s history. I only had basic knowledge of the event, so I wasn’t able to answer many more. Unsurprisingly, Apple Bloom was able to answer most of them. Rainbow Dash would be proud of how fast she was able to get the answers out while at the same time keeping her attention on the race. Why are ponies so obsessed with pointless things like this anyway? I just don’t understand it.

“Ok, everypony, it looks like they are almost to the finish line. It’s time to get into the chariots and head over there!”

I’m glad that’s over with. I never really cared for traditional stuff anyway.


“Yaaaaaahoooooo! Way to go big sis!”

Applejack won. You can probably tell by Apple Bloom’s obnoxiously loud cheering. You can also tell by...

“Aw, darn it! There goes 15 bits!”

“What? You bet on me, kid? Sorry for disappointing you.”

Yeah, I don’t think I need to explain who that was. But for those of you still in the dark, Scootaloo bet on Rainbow Dash winning the race. Most likely it was with Apple Bloom.

You know, now that I think about it. It was Scootaloo who was spreading around rumors of that special birthday wish. Nothing particularly great has happened since that wish. So I’m starting to think it was all a bust. Nothing excitingly awesome is going to happen. That mad doctor thing was more negatively exciting than anything.

Oh well, it was just a wish. I guess I wasn’t really expecting it to come true. It’s not like anything exciting is going to happen. Though I guess I did get to spend some more time with family than usual. But...

I guess I still haven’t seen my Mom yet...

Day 11 END

Author's Note:

Yeah, I guess this was a pretty pessimistic day for Diamond huh? No one's going to have great days every day. And wishes aren't going to come true immediately. Even special birthday wishes, that's just not natural.