• Published 26th Oct 2014
  • 1,165 Views, 68 Comments

Diamond Tiara's Birthday Wish - 366 Days of Fun - Theo Vellum



Diamond Tiara's birthday doesn't go so good, but she's glad that she was able to spend time with her family and friends. So what better birthday wish than to be able to spend more time having fun with them than ever before?

  • ...
2
 68
 1,165

Day 10 November 3rd Monday: Stupid Wrestling


“Not only that, but it’s so fun to see those grapple moves, and don’t even get me started on their special moves! My personal favourite is The Beast’s finisher! It just looks so devastating.”

Since yesterday’s incident my Dad has been trying to find something we can both spend time doing together. He’s decided on wrestling. Why would he decide on something as stupidly violent as that? I don’t know, but it seems really important to him that we find something we can do together. I don’t really blame him. That incident with the madpony really scared all of us. Though I think he’s taking it a bit too far.

“That sounds pretty... Uh, cool. Yeah! It sounds cool Dad!” It sounds stupid, but I’m not going to let him know I’m thinking that.

A meow surprises us from around our hooves. Dazzle is looking up at me with a claw raised to his chin. Crud, I’m so bad at lying in when it comes to him. He can always tell. With that suspicious glare, and that claw tapping his chin thoughtfully.

“Ah, there you are Dazzle. Would you like to join us later this evening? I was just about to finish convincing our little princess here to spend some quality time watching ponies beat each other up, to give a summary.”

Dazzle simply raises his eyebrow to both of us and walks away. Yeah, I would’ve too in his position. Dad doesn’t pay him any mind and continues to have a one sided discussion with me. I absentmindedly answer his questions with a few acknowledgements here, and a few yups there.

“Wow! Sure thing, Dad!”

“So you will watch it with me? Great! I’ll go set it up!” Crud, I think I messed up. This isn’t going to end well, is it?


“Randolph! Have you got the snacks ready yet?”

“I’ve just got to finish the dip, then we’ll be all prepared!”

“Well, hurry up. We’re about to start the recording!”

What’s it matter anyway? I’m still on that diet of all veggies until my teeth are fixed. I won’t be able to partake in any of the delicious snacks at all. Honestly, what’s the point in seeing two grown stallions beat the snot out of each other? It sounds completely immature. Do older ponies really like seeing that kind of thing? I might understand Randolph, but Dad? Dad is way too refined for that sort of thing.

“Randolph, are you done yet?”

“Hold your horses, I’m here.”

I would normally be delighted at the sight of all these snacks, but right now they only remind me of how much my teeth ache. They feel like what one of these wrestlers probably feel like after being beaten down. Speaking of which, it’s starting.

As it opens I am greeted to a pair of announcers, one who is cringeworthingly optimistic, and the other who is so pessimistic that I really can’t stand him either. It doesn’t take long to get to the first match, mostly because I zoned out during the announcers commentary. The first wrestler to come out is an incredibly energetic, thin earth pony known as Frog Splash. He’s jumping around all over the place grabbing hooves in the audience. I might also add that the amount of ponies in the audience to watch two ponies beat the crud out of each other really makes me question equinity right now.

The next to come out is a rather overweight pegasus called Mushroom Stomp. He stomps, hence his title, down to the arena and flies right in. I notice that Dad referred to Mushroom Stomp as “A dirty traitor that just switched heel.” Whatever that means.

They must have something against each other, because they started going at it before the bell even rang. Frog Splash made the first attack, but he was just slammed onto the floor at a single swipe. He gets up again just to kiss the floor. How... How barbaric. How could my Dad possibly like this? Is it a guy thing? Would Dazzle enjoy this? ... No, Dazzle would not enjoy this. He’s too much of a refined little kitty.

Looking over at Dad, he hasn’t seemed to notice my discomfort with this. His eyes are glued to the television. I can tell he’s muttering something under his breath. Randolph is enjoying the snacks that make my teeth hurt just thinking about them. You know what, I think I’ll just make my exit while they are so entranced with-

“Princess, where are you going?”

“Um, to the restroom, Dad! Be right back!”

Crudpudge, I know I can’t stay in there most of the night. So what do I do? I’ll just think it over while I’m in there. It’s not like I actually have to go.


I splash my face with water for what must be the tenth time. Ok, you’ve resolved yourself to tell him. You’re going to tell him you don’t want to watch this, no matter how much it disappoints him. You are going to let him know it just doesn’t interest you, and he should try and find some other way for us to be able to do something together.

I step out of the bathroom, and find Dazzle there waiting for me. He’s giving me a disapproving look.

“Hi, Dazzle... You could tell I didn’t want to do this in the first place, couldn’t you?”

He’s still looking at me with disapproval.

“I know... Randolph went to all the trouble of fixing all those snacks for us. Even though he forgot I can’t have too many unhealthy snacks at the moment. I also know that Dad really wants us to enjoy something together... But what’s the point if I’m pretending to enjoy it?”

He taps his chin with his claw thoughtfully, eyebrow raised. Then he just shrugs.

“I guess you wouldn’t know, you’ve never had any problems expressing your dislike for something. I don’t normally have that problem either, but this is my Dad were talking about! I don’t want to disappoint him!”

I look down, just imagining how disappointed he would be, this is the first time in a long time we’ve done any real family bonding. My birthday was just an exception. What if when I disappoint him, it deters him from doing anything with me? What if we never do anything together again? What if-

A paw on my shoulder brings me back to reality. I didn’t realise I had been crying. Dazzle gives me a reassuring smile and pats me on the back with his paw.

“Thanks, Dazzle... I guess you're right. I should tell him no matter what I think may happen. It’s going to come out eventually either way.”

Dazzle gives a self important smirk. He’s not shy to letting me know when I’m overreacting. I smile back at him.

“Thanks Dazzle, you always know just what to say.”


Still, that talk didn’t prepare me completely. I stood in the doorway to the TV room for a little while to get ready to break the news to Dad. Dragon Whip just beat Snapmare, so now’s as good a time as any while he’s in a good mood.

“Dad... Can we talk?”

“Oh, you want to talk about the match? I saw you standing in the doorway watching.”

So much for being subtle...

“Daddy... I... I don’t want to disappoint you. But I... I don’t think this whole wrestling thing is for me, Dad.”

His face stumbles a bit, but he soon regains his composure. “Oh... I see. May I ask why, though?”

“Well, I guess the idea of ponies beating each other up just doesn’t really appeal to me. I guess I can see where you got the idea I’d like it though. With how crazy good I am at fighting games.” Is it just me, or did Dad’s face get a little more wrinkled in the past few seconds? “So... I hope you aren’t disappointed, Dad.”

“Disappointed? I’m not disappointed in you. I’m just... sad that I couldn’t find something to do together that we could easily do at home. I... I guess we don’t really have that many similar interests. But I do want to find something we can do together. I realise now since yesterdays incident that I haven’t been doing nearly enough with you.”

“Dad, I’m just glad you're trying. I’m sure we can find something to do together. Just... Not this, please.”

Dad and I exchange a hug. I feel a lot better now, but I also feel really sleepy judging by the yawn I just let out.

“May I go to bed, Daddy?”

“You may. Oh, and Princess?”

“Yes?”

“Thanks for being honest with me.”

“You're welcome, Daddy.”

I head to bed, feeling a lot better than I felt earlier today.

Day 10 END

Author's Note:

Sorry this took so long. I've been having a hectic couple of days. Thanks for being patient with me.