• Published 28th Aug 2014
  • 2,644 Views, 81 Comments

Under Fire - bosoxboy521



Cpl. James Matthews is a sniper attached to the 101st Airborne during the later years of World War II. After getting lost in France, he meets up with an unlikely companion in the war torn cities of Europe.

  • ...
9
 81
 2,644

Chapter XII

Twilight looked up in complete shock at who she was staring at. The Germans began to move away slowly, but were interrupted by James. He pulled out an M1911 pistol and aimed it at them.

"Don't move you fucking Kraut bastards," he said. The Germans then stayed in place, afraid of what was to become of them. Soon after, an squad of Americans rounded the corner and took the German prisoners away, only Twilight and James stood still. Twilight stood there with an irritated look on her face. James, on the other hand, had a much more relaxed look as he watched the squad of paratroopers being escorted away. Finally, Twilight broke the silence.

"What was that for James?" she asked furiously. James knelled down to see Twilight's angry face, she was panting hard, covered in dirt and sweating. James didn't say anything, but just looked at her. Twilight began to breathe slower as she looked deep into James' eyes. All she could see was darkness, nothing but black. As she looked deeper, she began to really see what James was saying. Inside his eyes, she saw blood covering the wall, dripping down and creating puddles all over the floor. She went deeper into his eyes, wondering what else laid ahead. She made it to a hallway of some sorts, and going down the length of the hallway were the heads of dead Germans, mounted as if they were some prized trophy. Above each one had a number, labeling each of the heads. Twilight had enough, but, she had to go on. Farther down James' eyes, she saw the most horrific thing ever. She was back at home, all alone. Windows boarded up, no electricity, and she was going crazy. She was breaking glass, throwing books around the library, and screaming out orders. What really disturbed her was when her attention turned to the corner of the room, where Spike was. He turned around to see a massive scar across his face, the blood smearing down his cheek. Twilight then lifted up a lamp and held over Spike's head.

"Die you Kraut plothole!" she shouted and smashed it. The glass shattered everywhere, some even being lodged in Spike's head. He fell down, with a small pool of blood circling around his head. It was clear, Twilight killed him.

"Spike..." she said softly. The tears rolled down her cheek as her mind went back to reality, still staring into James' eyes. Finally, he spoke.

"Twilight, listen. You have to remember, you are not from this world, and that's a good thing. Despite the fact that we entered the war for a legitimate reason, you have to have a solid state of mind. Before this, I never thought I see you kill, but, executing unarmed soldiers, especially ones that can give us intelligence, is something only the craziest of people do," he said. Twilight looked down at her hooves in silence, not knowing what to say.

"Look, if there's one thing about friendship I can tell you, it's this: We aren't just soldiers, we're brothers. We take care of each other no matter what. War may drive people apart, but, it's things like this that bring people together. Those who survive together, no matter what, have the strongest bonds, and thus, the strongest friendship. Your friends, back in your land, they haven't been subjected to what you have dealt with the past couple days. But, if there's anything I want you to take from this, it's to be there for all your friends, and treat them as if it was their last day alive." Twilight looked up at James with tears slowly running down her cheek. "You're a good per-uh-pony Twilight, and don't let this war change who you really are." She then trotted up to James and hugged him. She held him tightly as she cried into his shoulder.

"What happened to me James? How did this happen to me? " she whimpered.

"It's okay Twilight, you did a great job. You were one of the important factors that helped take Carentan. You just have to remember to keep your humanity, unlike me," he said.

"What are you talking about James? You seem compassionate and level headed." James looked down at her with the dark bleak look on his face. "I may seem that way, but, if I had the chance, I would kill every single nazi soldier out there. Rifle, pistol, knife, or even fists, I wouldn't stop until each one was dead on the ground."

"Why?" asked Twilight. James took one deep breathe and pulled out a small necklace. Beside his dog tags, there was a golden star with six points on it. Twilight had a curious look on her face, she haven't seen this kind of star before. Before she could ask, James gave her an explanation on what it meant.

"This is 'The Star of David'. It represents my religion, in this case, Judaism. Something you need to know, the nazis have strict religious rights, to put it lightly. They don't like people like me because of my religion. So, they jailed all of them. That's my reason to fight, for my people enslaved by this evil government. I've killed so many nazis, and honestly, I enjoy seeing them fall to the ground and suffer. I'm too far gone to be the same as I was before the war. But, you're not. Twilight, if there's anything I ask, it's to not forget who you really are. Can you promise that?" Twilight stood in shock as she processed everything James revealed to her. The fact that people were being jailed because of one's beliefs made Twilight have a sick feeling deep within her stomach.

" I can, it's just that, I want to do my part. I want to fight for everyone here, especially for you James. But, no matter what happens, I'll always keep that promise," she said.

"Thank you Twilight. I don't want you to be scarred at what you witnessed in this war. Take the friendship lessons you learned here back with you, and make even stronger bonds with your friends."

"I will James, thank you." Twilight gave James a hug one more time. The two held each other in a deep embrace, letting out their emotions together. Seconds passed and the two got up.

"Hey you two," shouted Millar, "We're moving up towards the tree line by the outskirts of the town. Let's get going." Twilight smiled at James and he did the same. The two walked with the rest of their company into the woods that laid on the outskirts of the town. They walked proudly together, battle ready, and keeping a level head.

Comments ( 6 )

No german mortars? :ajsleepy: Maybe the other Mane Six went through the mirror and neutralized the german mortar teams before they had a chance to attack Carentan...

:pinkiecrazy:

Thanks for the grammar help u nazi. Lol jk

IMPORTANT: I would like to clarify the air a bit. I'm cancelling this story because of many historical and grammar issues. That doesn't mean the story is gonna be gone, it will be edited into a new story.

5036088 It's ok. I'm actually really excited for it. I just finished reading what you wrote so far, and Loving every word. Keep up the good work!

Login or register to comment