• Published 28th Aug 2014
  • 2,644 Views, 81 Comments

Under Fire - bosoxboy521



Cpl. James Matthews is a sniper attached to the 101st Airborne during the later years of World War II. After getting lost in France, he meets up with an unlikely companion in the war torn cities of Europe.

  • ...
9
 81
 2,644

Chapter VI

Captain Kelly's men walked down the road leading up to the Brecourt Manor, where four 105 mm guns pointed towards the shore of Utah beach, where the US VII Corp would land. If those guns were to fire, all hell would break loose on the beach, which could jeopardize the entire operation. So, taking these guns were essential for the assault to go as planned, with minimal casualties. As the men walked down the road leading to the gun positions, a rustling noise was heard in the bushes. Every man pointed their guns at the bush and waited. Twilight looked confused.

"Why are you pointing your guns at that bush? It isn't doing anything." she asked.

"Any noise, no matter how little, could be an enemy," replied James. Then, the bushes rustled once more, and out came another Airborne soldier, carrying a lot of equipment with him, including a full 30 caliber machine gun set up.

"Jesus Christ Lozano, we would've mowed you down if you didn't come out, what happened?" said Benning.

"The fucking drop is what happened. I was lost for awhile, until I found Merritt about 3 clicks back with the 30," said Lozano.

"Well, where is he?" asked Twilight.

"Woah, what the fuck is that?"

"No time to explain, you have enough ammo and everything?" asked Kelly.

"Yeah, I picked it off of Merritt, two crates."

"Good job, Twilight, if you're gonna come with us, you're gonna need to play your part. Help carry some of Lozano's equipment, he could use it."

"Yes sir, but, what happened to Merritt?" she replied.

"What don't you get? The bastard's dead! For fuck's sake, why is this thing coming with us?" said Lozano angrily.

"Lay off her Rich, she ain't from here. She's from a different universe and she don't know about war or anything," said James.

"Then why is she coming with us?"

"Because I said so," interrupted Captain Kelly, "and if you don't want help carrying all that equipment, you can walk all the way back to HQ, which is another 5 clicks down the road. Your choice private. Either way, she's coming." Lozano went silent, and with that, he put down the two crates of ammo and the tripod. "Alright, now let's get moving, the manor isn't that far away."

Twilight lifted the ammo and tripod with her horn and began to walk, until she was stopped by James.

"Hey Twilight, if I were you, I would keep the magic at a minimum, you don't want to draw any attention to the krauts, who knows what they'd do to you," he said. Twilight didn't argue, she put the tripod on her back and carried the ammo boxes in her mouth.

"Uh, that's probably not the best idea either. Here I'll take them." James slung his rifle over his back and picked up the two boxes of ammo. They walked down the road up to the manor, where Lozano spoke up again.

"Sir, I still don't think bringing along a purple horse is a good idea," he said.

"What's your problem with her?" asked James.

"Well Matthews, what role will she play in helping out this assault?"

"She'll help you feed the gun," said Finn.

"Like hell she will. I ain't getting my ass shot because my position was given away by a bright purple horse."

"I'm a pony!" said Twilight angrily.

"Same god damn thing. Listen, you don't belong in this world, so go back to your own."

"That's fucking enough Lozano, whether you like it or not, she's your assistant gunner now," said an irritated Kelly.

"But sir..."

"No buts private. You'll work with her, and that's a fucking order. Now let's get moving, we're almost there."

The squad remained quiet as they walked closer and closer to the German positions.

"Matthews, get up in that tree and tell us what you see," said Kelly.

"Yes sir," he replied and climbed up a tree overlooking the area. He picked up his Springfield and looked down the scope. Seconds later, he put down his rifle and signaled to Kelly.

"Christ, four 105's, three MG42's and a ton of infantry," said Kelly. The men crouched down by a hedgerow. "Listen up, there's trench line that connects all the guns together. Lozano, set up here and wait for my command to fire. Sarge, take the rest of the squad with you around the right flank. Get into that trench line as fast as you can, once you do, move to the first gun and clear it out, any questions?"

The squad remained silent, understanding their jobs.

"Let's go then," said Kelly. The men scrambled every which way, and Twilight was left with a very confused look.

"Hey, pony, over here," said Lozano on the ground.

"My name is Twilight Sparkle," she replied.

"Whatever, get that tripod out and that ammo box open, you're my new assistant gunner for some reason. That means you point out targets for me and help feed the ammo into the gun. Can you do that task?"

"Mhm."

"Then get over here, wait for the Captain's signal." Twilight went down on the ground and opened the box filled with ammunition. She picked them up and gave it to Lozano.

"What the fuck? Do you even know how to load the gun?" he asked stubbornly.

"I don't even know what this thing is. Let alone how to use it," said Twilight.

"Here. This 'thing' is a Browning 30 caliber machine gun, model 1919A4, you open the feed cover, put the belt of ammo on to the gun, close it, and cock it back twice. Now you're ready to rock." The two sat in silence as they waited for the assault to begin.

"Lozano," said Kelly, "do it." Lozano aimed in and began firing the machine gun. At 550 RPM, the Browning spat out faster than chewing tobacco. The machine gun echoed through out the manor, and the assault had begun.