• Published 28th Aug 2014
  • 2,644 Views, 81 Comments

Under Fire - bosoxboy521



Cpl. James Matthews is a sniper attached to the 101st Airborne during the later years of World War II. After getting lost in France, he meets up with an unlikely companion in the war torn cities of Europe.

  • ...
9
 81
 2,644

Chapter VIII

Twilight and Lozano ran down the trench line and met up with the rest of the squad.

"What happened to the 30 caliber Lozano?" asked Kelly.

"Barrel's warped, gun's gone," he replied.

"God damn it again? How the hell did you end up company machine gunner?" said Benning.

"Go to hell Benning."

"Not now, listen Benning, Arroyo, get some fire on that machine gun by the third gun, everyone else, on me, we're taking the second gun," said Kelly. Benning nodded and poked his head above the trench line. He fired a burst of his Browning Automatic Rifle, or BAR. The loud, distinctive sound of the BAR sounded across the trench line, like it was a miniature 88 artillery piece.

"You got a back up, Lozano?" asked Kelly.

"Yeah, I got Merritt's Grease Gun," he replied.

"Good, you're leading the assault, grenades first."

"Yes sir."

"What should I do sir?" asked Twilight. Kelly remained silent and looked down at the concerned mare. As scared as she was, he noticed she was willing to do her part on the assault. He crouched down and looked her square in the eye.

"Listen, you're gonna have to learn to kill another person, it's hard to do, but, I know you have the guts to do it. I want you to take these grenades and throw them at the gun position. Can you handle that?" he asked.

"I'll do my best sir," she replied.

"Good, now here, you pull the pin and throw it at that artillery crew. You don't need to come up until we've taken it. Make sure you don't hold it for too long, or it'll explode on you. Throw two at a time, make sure you don't throw any on our team, I don't want you to be a victim of friendly fire." Twilight nodded and held the Mk. II frags in her hooves. The miniature explosives felt a little a rock in her hooves, nothing she can't throw easily. Even though she didn't have the best arm, how hard could it be? "Let's go, Twilight. Throw two frags on that gun position now!" Twilight pulled the pin with her mouth and threw the little explosive at the gun position. It flew high in the air and landed by the gun's base. Within seconds, a massive explosion launched the crew through the air and all around the ground. Twilight threw another one with the same results. "Benning, Arroyo, displace. Everyone else, move up!" The squad of men got up and ran down the trench line to the gun position.

As she rounded the corner, she looked at the wounded Germans from the grenade. The rest of the squad moved up and executed all of them. Millar pumped his Trench shotgun and blew the limbs off of a wounded German, who had shrapnel wounds around his face. Lozano let loose his M3 Grease Gun into the crawling Germans, one of which had a leg missing. Even Kelly poured lead bullets into fleeing Germans, retreating from the oncoming slaughter of the American paratroopers. Twilight watched in pure shock at the merciless men who gunned down wounded men, holding onto their last breathe of life, in hopes of living another day.

"Sir," shouted Winters, holding the radio to his ear, "Dog Company is coming up on the left flank." Twilight watched as more paratroopers came running out of the hedgerows and down into the trench.

"Captain Kelly, we're here to take the remaining guns. You boys pull back, we'll take it from here." shouted one of the soldiers.

"Roger that soldier. Easy Company, we're pulling back. Lay down some cover fire on that gun position, dog company needs to move up across the field," said Kelly.

"Come at me you Kraut bastards!" shouted Arroyo, firing his M1 Garand towards the trench line. Twilight stayed low to the ground as she watched the other soldiers get up and move across the field. One paratrooper stepped over the wooden wall of the trench line, but immediately fell flat on his face. Twilight ran over to the soldier on the ground.

"Oh dear Celestia, are you okay?" she asked. The soldier didn't respond. She flipped the body around and saw a body completely covered in bullets. The soldier had an expressionless look on his face, with one solitary bullet lodged into his head. Twilight backed away from the dead soldier and leaned against the wooden wall. She put her hooves up to her cheeks in complete shock, only to feel something wet on her face. She looked at her hooves to see them covered in blood. She stared at her hooves in a state of fear. She trembled in horror as she realized she touched a dead soldier, who was murdered in cold blood.

"Twilight, get moving, we're pulling back," said Benning. Twilight got out of her catatonic phase and hopped over the trench line and into the hedgerow. She looked around her and saw everybody come out of there alive and well.

"Let's get back to HQ and give the Major the good news. Looks like we saved a lot of lives at Utah beach everybody," said Kelly.

"Hell yeah, those Kraut bastards messed with the wrong boys!" said Lozano.

"Uh, and the wrong pony," said James, jumping down from the tree he was in. Twilight gave James a fake smile to hide the overwhelming guilt she felt. She looked down at the ground and just trotted with the rest of the squad back to the HQ. Her mind raced with the devastation of war and the flashes of the events of murder began to catch up with her. She then felt light headed and slowly laid down on the ground, her eyes closing, her hearing fading, and she only saw the boots of James running towards her body. She finally fully closed her eyes and her brain slowly stopped functioning. Her body smacked against the dirt ground and her mind went blank.