• Published 28th Aug 2014
  • 2,644 Views, 81 Comments

Under Fire - bosoxboy521



Cpl. James Matthews is a sniper attached to the 101st Airborne during the later years of World War II. After getting lost in France, he meets up with an unlikely companion in the war torn cities of Europe.

  • ...
9
 81
 2,644

Chapter VII

The 30 caliber Browning began firing at the scattering Germans along the line, however, there was one problem all together, and that's an MG42. Anybody who tries to attack this deadly German machine gun head on is asking to be ripped to shreds. With a rate of fire of 1,200 RPM, it is the fastest firing infantry weapon on both sides on the war. The MG42 fired on the 30 caliber hiding in the hedgerows.

"Fuck, c'mon Matthews, take out that MG42!" said Lozano, firing simultaneously while shouting. Twilight looked up at James, who was scoping in on his rifle. Within seconds, the Springfield echoed across the manor, and with two shots, the machine gun crew was history.

"Twilight, Lozano, displace, get inside the trenches, let's go men! Let's take these guns!" shouted Kelly. Lozano picked up the ow hot 30 caliber machine gun from prolonged fire. The burning hot barrel of the gun touched the back of his shoulder, burning through his uniform and part of his skin.

"Ah! Holy fuck!" he shouted. Twilight looked behind him and lifted the 30 caliber with her horn. Lozano looked up amazed at what he was seeing. This purple unicorn was levitating a 31 pound machine gun, filled with ammunition and everything.

"C'mon," said Twilight, "we have to get moving!" She helped Lozano up with her hoof as he got up.

"Twilight, Lozano, get in the trench god damn it!" shouted Finn from inside the trench, firing off rounds from his small but lethal M1A1 Carbine rifle.

"Screw the tripod, let's go war horse!" he said. Twilight looked at him with a somewhat angered look on her face, but just ignored it and followed him. A barrage of rifle fire hit by the trench line as Lozano dived right in. Twilight ducked down, now somewhat scared at what was happening. As more bullets whizzed over her head, the more she wanted to just teleport into the trench, but then, she remembered James' advice: lay low on the magic a bit. Twilight took one big gulp and dove out of the hedgerow and went falling down into the trench.

"There you are, c'mon, let's get this thing rocking!" said Lozano, placing the 30 caliber on a small wall of sandbags that provided a line of fire to the first gun.

"First gun up ahead, Lozano, suppressive fire on that gun, Millar, Kearney, on me. Grenades first, then we destroy the guns," said Kelly.

"Yes sir," said Kearney, finishing off the last of the ammo inside his M1 Garand, with one shot, the rifle spat out the metallic en bloc clip like a kid spitting out his vegetables. The loud ping noise was audible across the field. The Germans then fired on Kearney's position.

"Stay low! Let Matthews and the MG team deal with them," said Millar, moving farther down the trench line. When they got in range of the gun, the three pulled the pin on their grenades and threw them. Within seconds, the three Mk. II frags exploded with tremendous force, propelling some Germans from the pure shock wave of force from the grenade.

"Clear the gun area, let's move," said Kelly, as the three charged into the gun position and finished off what Germans that didn't die from the explosion. "First gun neutralized, Millar, you're up."

"Yes sir, get ready for a boom," he said. He pulled out a small package of TNT and rested it on the base of the gun and set the fuse. "Get back, it's gonna blow!" Seconds later, the gun blew up sky high, giving off a small mushroom cloud of just pure smoke and force. As the smoke cleared, the gun was left mutilated and twisted.

"Twilight, Lozano, move up!" said Kelly. The two got up and moved over to the destroyed first gun position. The two entered in to see complete destruction. Pools of blood from the amount of dead corpses on the ground, pumped with shrapnel wounds and bullets. Twilight looked up down at the dead Germans. One caught her eye though, it was a young German soldier, probably around 19, who laid dead with a gaping wound in his stomach from a huge blast of bullets. Twilight's just stared at the dead German, the remorse began to creep into her mind.

"Hey, war horse, get over here, help feed the gun!" said Lozano. Twilight ran up to Lozano and help the belt of ammunition as the 30 caliber spat out more lead down by the second gun. Twilight looked over at Lozano, who had an devilish smile across his face as his hand laid down on the trigger, completely gunning down fleeing Nazis as they ran for cover. "Hahaha, run you dirty Kraut bastards!" Twilight had a troubled look on her face, as she looked on the battlefield, she noticed a squad of Germans entering the trench line behind them.

"Hey," she said, "there's some bad guys running behind us."

"Fuck, cover my six," said Lozano.

"How?" Twilight's nerves began to reign in as the squad of Germans drew closer. Lozano pulled his M1911 pistol out of his holster and handed it to Twilight.

"Take this!" he shouted and fire it.

"I don't know how to use this thing!" she exclaimed.

"Learn it, it's not that hard!"

"I can't even get my hoof to fit in this hole!"

"Fuck it!" Lozano turned the machine gun around and mowed down the squad of German soldiers coming down the trench line. All of a sudden though, the gun stopped firing. The steam from the exhausted gun had warped the "Fuck! Jam!"

"What is a 'jam'?" asked Twilight nervously.

"The gun won't fire!" Then, a German fired a round of his Mauser rifle, but it ricocheted off the destroyed gun. As he struggled to cycle the bolt, Lozano dropped the machine gun and tackled the German to the ground. The two opposing forces clashed closer than ever. Twilight looked on as the two soldiers defended their lives, with the knowledge that only one was gonna live. Soon, the German laid on top of Lozano and pushed the knife closer and closer to Lozano's chest. Twilight knew she had to do something, she couldn't just let someone she knew die like this. She took on deep breathe and she charged towards the two struggling soldiers. She turned around and bucked the German off Lozano. The nazi soldier smacked against the trench line wall, even getting lodged inside the wall from the sheer force of Twilight's kick. Lozano looked up with pure shock of what Twilight just did to the enemy.

"Thanks," he simply said, dusting himself off. The German soldier then slowly woke up after being knocked out for a little. His head spun around as he tried to come to.

"Is he okay?" she asked Lozano, "I didn't mean to hurt him that much."

"He won't be hurting no more," said Lozano, and grabbed his M1911 off the ground and fired it directly square in the German's head. The .45 ACP round took off a chunk of his skull and the blood spilled out of his head. Twilight looked horrified at the scene that just took place. She looked at Lozano with a shocked and disturbed look on her face. She just witnessed what was basically a murder, a cold blooded, ruthless murder.

"No mercy," said Lozano briefly. Twilight remained silent as she looked at the dead body of the German soldier, who could've been saved and continue to live his life, but it was cut short by the echo of the death and destruction of war.