• Published 28th Aug 2014
  • 2,644 Views, 81 Comments

Under Fire - bosoxboy521



Cpl. James Matthews is a sniper attached to the 101st Airborne during the later years of World War II. After getting lost in France, he meets up with an unlikely companion in the war torn cities of Europe.

  • ...
9
 81
 2,644

Chapter IX

The darkness slowly faded away. Color began to seep it's way through and it's vividness lit up the dark room of nothingness. It was as if life was taking over the vast land of darkness and death. Slowly, the color began to take place once more, and then, it was crystal clear. Twilight woke up, finding herself resting on a hay bale in some old barn. Inside was James and the rest of the men she fought with.

"You okay Twilight?" asked James, putting his hand around her head. Twilight slowly got up and looked around, gathering a sense of where she was. She rubbed her head to help ease the slight head ache.

"Ugh. Wha-what happened?" she asked.

"Y'all fainted in the middle of the road. Matthews here picked you up and escorted you to this barn outside of HQ," said Millar.

"You looked liked you saw a ghost or something and you just, fell down," said James. Twilight looked down and took a deep breathe.

"I saw some horrifying things today, some were very disturbing," she said.

"What happened?" asked Arroyo.

"Well, in one case, some bad guys-"

"Nazis," interrupted Kearney.

"Yeah, nazis were behind us moving down the trench line. Lozano handed me this thing, it looked like some sort of weapon, but, I couldn't use it because my hoof was too big. So he turned around and killed them, but, the weapon had a 'jam'. So, he ran up to this guy and was fighting him with his hands. The nazi took out a knife and was almost gonna stab him, until I kicked him into the trench line wall."

"Good job Twilight, you saved a life," said Benning.

"No, I didn't! In the end, Lozano shot the poor guy in the head. I didn't mean to hurt him too bad, but, he was waking up, and, he just...SHOT him, straight in the head. It was in cold blood, just...straight...MURDER!" She looked around at the men, who didn't seem shocked at all, and just looked at one another. "Why aren't you guys mad? Lozano just killed a man in cold blood! Shouldn't he be punished in some sort?"

"Twilight, listen," began James, "as much as I hate to admit it. Lozano did the right thing."

"What!" she shouted.

"Let me explain, they would've done the same thing he would'v done if given the chance."

"No! A normal being would so mercy to him. Help him to live another day..."

"Twilight, it isn't that simple."

"Then what is it with this world? Why are all of you so cold hearted?"

"It's all because of war Twilight."

"Well, why are we fighting this war then? Huh? Why did everyone resort to killing each other instead of having peace?" Twilight had an angered look on her face, so furious that James was even a little scared. After all, Twilight could do magic, who knows what could happen to him. Finally, Captain Kelly walked into the room.

"Twilight, calm down, and let us explain why we do the things we do," he said. He put his hand on her shoulder, he gave a stern, but, reassuring look on his face. Twilight then sat back down in her seat slowly. "There's a legitimate reason why we're in this war. It's because of an evil man named Adolf Hitler. He's the leader of Germany. What he ordered his men to do is awful. Hitler took over these countries one by one, with brutal force and no mercy. We tried to peacefully stop him, but, he didn't listen. Instead, he gave the command to murder innocent people all over the country. Cold blooded murder, and eventually, we had no other choice but to go to war. Hitler was asking for a fight, to take over the entire world, and be the supreme leader of everyone, and we couldn't allow that."

"So, why do people kill others in the way Lozano did to that other soldier?" she asked,

"Well, it because they are willing to fight for Hitler's word. They defend their horrid country, and are willing to kill us anyway they can. So, we have to fight fire with fire. Is it awful? Yes, but, at this point, there's no alternatives. We have to keep fighting until Hitler's army is gone, and peace is restored across the world." Twilight remained silent and processed what Kelly said. Her thoughts began to run rampant. She began to cry a bit.

"But, still? How do all of you kill in such a awful manner?" the tears running slowly down her face.

"We're doing it to defend our country. If we weren't here, Hitler would've been on our doorstep in our home country, killing the innocent and destroying anything that lies in it's path. Now Twilight, I know this is a lot to process, but, I want to show you something. It's my own reason for fighting this war." Kelly stood up and took a picture out of his front pocket. It was an old black and white picture of eight men standing next to each other. They were all smiling and held all of each other in a friendly embrace.

"What is this?" she asked.

"My old squad," began Kelly, "This was taken in 1942, at basic, when I was part of the 82nd Airborne. Our first combat jump was in Italy, 1943. I was a Lieutenant back then, leading a squad of men fresh out of basic. When we dropped, the heavy winds set our chutes off case. I ended up finding about three guys from my squad. For about 20 minutes of wandering around looking for other men, we came across an German machine gun position. The three of us tried to flank it, but, we were overrun quickly. Both men I was with were wounded and then executed in front of me. When the German came up to me, he spared me because I was an officer, I had intel on where all the landing zones were, and where we were advancing. They want me to give up that info, but, I didn't plan on doing that, so, I remained quiet. They finally throw me in a jail cell. On that night, I saw the rest of my men in the jail cell directly in front of me. They looked tired, beat up, and afraid. Immediately after they threw me in the cell, they opened my squad's jail cell. They all poured out and walked outside to the courtyard. I looked out my window, and they lined up my men in front of a wall, spotlights on them and everything. Seconds later, they brought out a firing squad. They loaded their rifles and all fired at my men and killed all of them. Seconds later, a team of British soldiers took the position over. I was liberated and sent back to the States to recover from my wounds. After a couple months, I joined the 101st, and here I am now." Twilight looked up in pure shock, but, she wasn't the only one. Every person in the farm looked at their Captain in shock of what happened to him.

"I'm, I'm so sorry sir," she said simply, looking down at her hooves.

"It's fine Twilight, but, I want to show you one more thing." Kelly took off the front of his shirt. Across his entire chest, there was one big scar across it. "The German interrogating me beat me up badly. He had his assistant take a bayonet and sliced it across the entire front of my body. After that, I was punched and kicked more and more, until they gave up and threw me in the cell. So, Twilight, they're maybe some good people out there, but, we can't trust the enemy, because if we do, this might happen to you." Twilight remained silent as Captain Kelly put his shirt back on and got up. He turned around to his men.

"That goes for all of you guys. I already lost one squad, and I don't want to lose this one. Remember, kill one, save a thousand. Get some rest, and wait for orders to come through." Captain Kelly walked out of the barn and went back inside of the headquarters. The entire barn was silent, no one knew how to follow up on what Kelly just revealed.

"You heard the Captain," said Finn, "get some rest." The men walked all around the barn, getting into their sleeping spots. As James was climbing into his, Twilight trotted up to him. She looked him square in the eye with a fearful, but, determined look on her face. She muttered two words: "I'm ready."