• Published 8th Jul 2014
  • 551 Views, 2 Comments

Frozen Equestria - Flashburn37



Nightmare Moon worshipers in the frozen north have a new leader, a natural born alicorn that has declared war on Equestria! But Twilight and her friends are missing! Celestia sends out a brave warrior in search of new talent but will it be enough?

  • ...
0
 2
 551

Chapter 5: Mysteries Revealed

Chapter 5: Mysteries Revealed

It was late when Auto and his party finally arrived at Anti-Freeze’s secret base. They then set about to try and find it. As they searched Auto looked toward the north. “So this is where the doom of Equestria is attempting to rise from. We will meet them as we have met every other opponent, with hope and friendship in our hearts.”

“Come now Captain, you’ve been a soldier far too long to be so sentimental.” A voice came from behind.

“Anti-Freeze, still an optimist I see. How have things been up here?” He said without turning.

“It is beautiful at times but this does get tiring. Will you understand what it’s like to not talk to another pony for years? Could you? Is it even possible to know without living it? The most communications with the outside I have are the occasional letter from Celestia and they’re almost always just orders.” She said as she walked up behind him.

He turned to look her in the eyes. “There is no way I could ever understand, just as you could never understand the pain any other goes through without having led the same exact life. I for one wouldn’t have been able to last as long as you have, all the way up here. And you couldn’t handle the pains of the losses I have been responsible for. Not just those of my own soldiers but also of my friends and the enemy soldiers who are only following orders. I’m glad to see you again, let us rejoice in that and not compare wounds lest we reopen old ones.”

“Aye, my base is over there, be on the lookout though. A mysterious group of ponies have assaulted an enemy position near here but I haven’t been able to commune with them so their loyalties remain unknown.”

They then walked to her base, after fetching Rogue and James, and all went to sleep without a word. James did not sleep well at all. Somehow he knew her from somewhere, but where? He knew he had seen her face before. Was she yet another of her former comrades, or a former victim? He tossed and turned pondering this. What if she was? How would she react? Did she know who he was? Celestia probably sent word ahead of them… Even if she wasn’t a former victim what if she was related to one? Everypony had heard of his gangs exploits and anypony living so high up north alone, the only others she could talk to for miles around being enemies, might be a tad vengeful. All things would be revealed in the morning… if he survived that long…

***

Anti-Freeze considered bashing him over his head and leaving him for dead in the frozen wastes but she couldn’t. Her family hated revenge. Her father actually said “An eye for an eye and the whole world’s blind! Remember Anti that people will always cause problems for you and if you seek revenge on them they will then seek revenge upon you and you unto them for an eternal cycle. Don’t allow that to happen! Remember what Equestria stands for… If Celestia had counter attacked the griffins during the war would the world be as we know it now?” Her father was a wise stallion and she had followed his advice up to this point and she had risen high in the military, after she had here trading entire empire crumbled. She than set herself to allow him to earn his honor and judge him as a pony, not the murderer who destroyed her life. It would be tough but she had to try. For her Father’s sake…

***

That morning was cold, one of the coldest he had ever seen, and dark as if something knew of the events that were being planned that day. The wind tore into the trees which creaked and moaned as frost slowly coated and cracked its surface. Clouds blotted out the sun and whatever warmth it had to offer never met the earth. Yet even here there was beauty. Icicles hung from the entrances of caves and the branches of trees forming little bars that reflected the little light into a prismatic rainbow of splashing color and life. It had snowed during the night and the ground was heaped with snow several feet thick and pure, not a mark embellished its beauty or showed the dangers it posed. The ruined camp to the north was completely encompassed by the snow that rose to devour it and hide its very existence. To the south one could see the clouds part as shafts of light dappled the forested landscape and far, far to the south barely in view were the mountains that held Cantorlot. Captain Auto took this all in with his first glance of the outside world before the clouds shifted obscuring all but the darkness.

He was sent here on a quest to defend Equestria and right now that meant spying on the enemies and discovering this unknown threat. He would stop at nothing to accomplish his goals and bring peace back to his home. He steeled himself for the approaching strategy talks and planning. This was the one part of conflicts he hated most, he could fight, he could rebuild, but to wait and plan for an inevitable combat? He needed action! It was what he was made for and what he understood best. He took another look around and went back indoors to begin the grueling process with Anti-Freeze.

***

No one else was awake except Auto and Anti as they trotted into the war room. Maps covered the walls and notes were strewn about the table. Auto noticed one the maps had several red x’s upon them covering blue dots. “What are those?”

“Our first mission. Those are the camps that have been hit and those are the ones that haven’t been yet. As you can see, the party seems to be heading west in its rampage on the enemy camps. I believe that one will be next to fall and, unfortunately for the group that has harassing the enemy, the enemy has also reached this conclusion and has fortified the position. Word has it that Absol, the general of the armies of the north, has also arrived. If they attack there they are doomed.”

“So we need to somehow find them first?”

“The enemy of my enemy…”

“Is my friend.” He finished. “Where do you think they've holed up at? Is that the yellow dot right there?”

“No, that’s us. I think that if they don’t know the area they will be either there, or there. If they have much knowledge of the terrain though they will be in the ridges there and judging by their assaults, only attacking from an advantageous position, I’d say they have at least some idea. We will start our search there. First though we need to wake everypony up and teach a little geography, can’t have you getting lost can we?”

They went about awakening Rogue and James. James woke up as if he expected to find a knife to his throat but Rogue took quite a bit of prodding. “When you live alone for so long,” she said with a yawn, “you get used to sleeping on your own schedule. Why are we getting up so early anyway?”

“We are at war and we need to understand the terrain, so time for some geography lessons before we go out to try and help the mysterious group.” Auto explained.

“Oh no, geography? Back to school? I skipped like half of that and it returns to haunt me… Do we have to?” she complained.

“Yes.” Auto sighed.

“Ponyfeathers…”

***

After several hours of study they finally had the terrain memorized well enough to find their way back to base. They then set about leaving, each preparing weapons and getting ready to finally encounter either enemies or find new allies. Anti grabbed her daggers and crossbow and observed her new companions. Auto took only a mace and shield, completely ignoring ranged combat. Rogue grabbed a longbow, a quiver of arrows, and a hunting knife. James grabbed a long sword, dirk, and a crossbow. At least one of the others was ready for anything. It had been awhile since she had last fought another pony. It had been short but terrible. It had been an enemy scout in the days right after she sent her warning to Celestia. He had been an earth pony, young, and fearless believing nothing could possibly kill him. She had given him a chance to back off and leave… a chance to live. But he spat in her face and charged, short sword raised foolishly high. It would never again be lifted by him. Two quickly thrown daggers in the chest and a slash to the throat had secured her victory but in a way even she had lost. As she saw the life slip from his eyes she wondered at what had brought him to this point. Had he been like her? Joining the military because it was that or starve? What if she had been in his shoes? What made her cause any different? War is the real enemy but if Evandra takes over and executes Celestia and Luna… Equestria would die without them. All hope and love and friendship… The world would become dark as it was under Discord. She wouldn’t let that happen, even if it meant fighting every enemy pony in that accursed army. “This way.” She ordered, hoping it sounded braver than she felt. “If they know the area than they’ll be there and trust me, it is easily defendable.”

“Let’s get this over with.” Auto grunted as he climbed the ladder up and out.

***

“I will find them. No matter what it takes. If I have to burn every encampment and fight my way through that army I will find Auto.” She said as if trying to convince herself.

“We know you will, after all you found me!” He said jokingly, “And how lucky a meeting that was! Don’t worry we will find them and all our questions, guilt, and whatever it is you have will be dealt with! Besides... you're not the one doing the burning... lazy bum, it's harder than it looks!"

“Ha ha ha you always know what to say.” She laughed.

***

They climbed up a hill at the edge of a wooded area. On their right was a ravine and to the left was a river. They made their way along the trees until the ravine began edging toward the river. It got so close that they ended up needing to hug a tree or fly around a ledge. “See what I meant about easily defendable? Just the four of us are having difficulty and the majority of us can fly. Unless you brought a boat that is. Even then you have to paddle upstream the whole way or climb a mountain that’s even more impassible than this. We are almost there though.” They reached a waterfall that connected the river to the gorge. “Must have rained in the mountains yesterday, it usually doesn’t crest the ridge.” She then cast a simple spell that she had known since she got her cutiemark and froze a small section of water hopped to it and then to the other side. “Shhh quiet now. If they posted a guard they should already know we are here but if not we will get to observe them first.” She whispered as the slowly climbed a hillock and looked down into a small camp.

***

Absol had grown restless in the night. He knew his trap was fool-proof but his spies had lost track of Auto’s party a few days ago and didn’t want to risk them contacting the strange invaders. He had grown up in this area and knew where he would hide out from an army. He would send a squad of pegasi to greet them. “Private Darkcloud this is your lucky day,” He rasped, “You are now a sergeant in control of the seventy-seventh squadron. Your first mission is to attack the little spot we spoke of earlier. I no longer think just waiting will work on these rats.”

“Sir yes sir! Thank you sir!” He flew off to gather his men. They would leave immediately as expected. He would succeed or die, if he or any of his men retreated it was insubordination resulting in death. They had a no prisoner’s policy, that would make this easier. Evendra would be pleased at his success and he may be promoted twice this day.

***

As Anti-Freeze looked over at the camp she readied a dagger, just in case. She turned back to say to the others, “Make sure your Cantorlotion armor is visable so they don’t mistake us for the Freezers.” When she turned back she saw something in the sky. Suddenly the hill they crouched upon exploded into flame and arrows filled the skies. “The Freezers are here and the group down there thinks we are part of the force!”

“How can we help? If we sit and do nothing they may die and if we go out they may attack us!” James yelled back as more explosions filled the air. “How many Freezers are there?”

Auto stood, “We help by fighting. I will not idly sit by as possible allies are slaughtered and it looks to be about twenty to three if we don’t do anything! CHARGE!!!” He flew in the air, sun glinting off his armor as he charged the nearest Pegasus. “CELESTIA!!!”

The others took wing or pulled out ranged weapons and called out either, “CELESTIA!”, “EQUESTRIA!”, or “PLEASE DON’T HIT ME!” James and Anti fired their crossbows in sync and covered Auto and Rogue. Rogue flew to a higher altitude than any other and shot arrow after arrow each hitting its mark. Auto was locked in melee combat with four opponents his mace too slow to strike the opponents but his shield too well placed for him to take a hit. Until one did. It was a glancing blow but took Auto of center and he lost altitude giving his opponents a huge advantage. Now he fought only defensibly but slowly more and more blows almost hit and he ended up taking several glancing slashes. That is, until one opponent burst into flames with a scream. Now only outnumbered three to one he managed to regain his lost altitude and fight more offensively. He quickly dispatched the rest of his opponents and looked around. He detected no enemies and landed soon thereafter. A few moments after his touchdown he felt his wounds for the first time and collapsed. As he slowly slipped into unconsciousness he saw six shapes crowd around him. He faintly detected frantic worried talk and he was lifted into the air.

***

“Is he awake yet? I’m so worried!” Auto heard a strangely familiar voice say. As he drifted back into consciousness.

“I’m sorry… whatever your name is. What was it again?” That voice was definitely Rogue’s.

“Sh…” and he fell asleep once more. His dreams were strange. For some reason he didn’t have a guilt dream. Had he finally gotten over his abandonment of Flash? The world around him was strangely blue. He was back in Cantorlot but something was wrong. He turned about and saw what it was. The entire castle was encased in frost and ice.

“Oh no!” He ran as fast as he could toward the main square. When he made it he screamed in horror. In the very center of the town Celestia and Luna sat encased in ice screams of pain upon their face. He failed! How could he have failed? "No! No no no no no no no no no no no no no! It’s a dream! It must be!”He awoke in a cold sweat and shot straight up. Where was he? He looked about and saw he was in his cot at Anti’s base. He turned to the right and gasped.

“Hey Auto nice of you to wake up. How are you?”

“In a bit of pain but good none the less.”

“Good, we have work to do.” Laughed Flashburn.

Author's Note:

Thank you so much for reading this far! Five whole chapters and still you plug away! You must like me... /blush... Well you can tell me how you feel with a comment or critique!