• Published 8th Jul 2014
  • 551 Views, 2 Comments

Frozen Equestria - Flashburn37



Nightmare Moon worshipers in the frozen north have a new leader, a natural born alicorn that has declared war on Equestria! But Twilight and her friends are missing! Celestia sends out a brave warrior in search of new talent but will it be enough?

  • ...
0
 2
 551

Chapter 1: Firestarter

Chapter 1: Fire Starter

Captain Auto entered the throne room to see Celestia pacing. “What is your command your Majesty?”

“Word of a threat has reached my ears, and to defeat it we may need the strength of all my armies. But even that may not be enough! While Luna and I rally the troops you must search for some of great talent and pure heart so we can have a chance at defeating this foe.”

“I shall leave at once your majesty I believe I’ll try around Manehatten or the Everfree Forest.”

“Where ever you think is the best chance, but please you must hurry!”

“Yes your Majesty” He bowed and left.
As he prepared to leave he saw a poster that read “The Great and Powerful Trixie is in Manehatten for two weeks hurry to catch the magic!” “Hmm a unicorn… she may be just what we need.” Computed Auto. He grabbed his mace and shield and headed out. “Sergeant!”

“Yes Sir?”

“I need you to send a group of officers up to the throne room the Princess will probably need help.”

“Yes Sir what of you Sir?”

“I am leaving on a… recruiting mission.”

“See you when you get back.”

“And I you, keep up the good work and a promotion may be in your future.”

“Thank you Sir.”

“Now I simply must be on my way. Good bye!”

“By Sir!”

It had been a long time since Auto had left Canterlot but with a will and bravery that could only be manufactured he journeyed on to Manehatten. The trip was uneventful other than a small storm he was surprised as according to his charts they hadn’t any scheduled but nothing overly dangerous. When he arrived he got a room in a hotel owned by the Orange family and purchased a ticket to the show. He would need to pick it up later that day. He searched far and wide and interviewed many ponies but no leads on any significant powers except this Trixie and a few others. Only four seemed legitimate candidates an earth pony who was supposedly the strongest in all of Equestria, Trixie, a steam boat unicorn and a Pegasus who was called “the best fencer this side of the Everfree Forest. He had a few days before the show and a week before the other unicorn's ship came in so he figured he should recharge and look for the strong pony. According to Flim he lived in the construction district and was named He-Pon. After a quick plug-in at the hotel he left for the construction district. Why Manehatten needed to get bigger he hadn’t the slightest clue, but apparently it would only stop when it rivaled Canterlot for sheer size.

The construction district is just outside the official city limits near the forest. It was dirty, mean, and dangerous if you weren’t always on the lookout for potential thieves and avoid angry workers just itching for a fight. Auto figured the best place to check would be the local bar so he headed to “The Fermented Apple.” It was a dingy place two stories tall and slowly rotting at its foundations. He entered through a door that had the logo on the front, it was an apple that was wearing the strangest hat. The tap room was poorly lit by a few candles and there were about four ponies at the bar and another two at a table. He could tell immediately this was a bad situation for him. If he stayed long there would be a fight and he would prefer not to make a scene. He walked up to the bar and got the barkeeps attention. “Excuse me sir, do you know a He-Pon by any chance?”

“What did he do?”

“What do you mean?”

“Judging by your metallic voice you’re a police officer of some kind and if I have any brains at all I’d ask you to leave. Now who told you to look here?”

“They didn’t say here specifically just the construction district, and it was Flim.”

“Flim! Where is he I haven’t seen him since we were chased out of Ponyville!”

“How do you know him?”

“I’m his brother Flam! We got separated when we fled from a pack of timber wolves in the Everfree Forest. Now where is he?”

“Here in Manehatten he is working in a shipyard as a heavy lifter moving boxes of produce from one ship to the other.”

“I will help you in any way I can! Pwnicus will be here in about ten minutes when his shift is over. Now if you stay here much longer one of those brutes is going to try and test your mettle, uh, sorry, I meant no offence of course! Uh, go into the backroom no one will harass you in there.”

“Thank you Flam.”

“No problem.”

The backroom was as dirty as rest of the bar and filled with casks of cider. He knew it was necessary but he still hated the thought of sitting in this mess. Ten minutes later he was so glad to be out of the room he practically bowled Flam over trying to get out.

“Excuse me, so where is he?” Auto asked.

“Over there with the other three construction ponies, be careful.”

“Thank you Flam, Flim’s address was 9000 Dock street apartment 2”

“So I said to her… This is a private conversation so beat it.” A lanky pony spat.

“Sorry Sirs, I cannot do that which of you is He-Pon?”

“Me, now what of it?” He was huge and built like Iron Will. Did he live in a gym? He was light brown and had a rough look to him, the kind of pony who might punch out your lights rather than talk to you. His cutie mark was a pony lifting a huge weight over its head.

“I am here to test you and if you pass you may join me.”

“Ya hear that? I maaaay join him! Join you with what?”

“Defending Equestria from a horrible invasion of un-imaginable scale.”

“What if I refuse?”

“Then you refuse and I look for others braver than you.”

“Nopony is braver than me! What is this test?

“You must defeat me in single combat, your choice of weapons or no weapons and if you succeed I hope you don’t kill me as I won’t kill you if I do. Also if I win and judge you good enough you may still join me.”

“Fine, here and no weapons!” He immediately rose and swung at Auto who with inpony reflexes only achieved through experience and technology dodge and countered scoring an uppercut to He-Pon’s chin.

“I want to start this fight fair and square, outside now.”

“If you say so.” He said, rubbing his chin.

Captain Auto and He-Pon walked outside the bar. Auto shook off the brown cloak he was using to hide his Canterlot armor and cape. He-Pon immediately charged him swinging his massive hooves furiously but to the Captain it was no faster than the many sword blows he had ducked and for every swing of He-Pon’s Auto had more than one counter. He dodged a massive right hook and replied with a jab. The fight was over soon for He-Pon had only fought drunks before never a veteran solider.

“You may be strong but you are stupid and have no skill for fighting. I could use you after a few years training but I don’t have that much time good day and farewell. You will find compensation if you go to the Manehatten garrison and explain the situation, then you will be able to afford some off time from your job. Now I must away.”

The battered and bruised He-Pon called out, “Wait if you go near the Everfree Forest check the grove two miles from the North road head due east from the crossing you can’t miss it. I once worked for a lumber company and there is somepony living there who you may want to see!”

“Thank you.” Now Auto had to find this so called “best Fencer” he had heard about. He knew the next ponies name was Shadowfax and lived in the market district only an hour away. Might as well check it as soon as possible. The market district was in much better shape than the construction district. Everypony here was in the latest Canterlot style of dress and hairdo. He felt a little more than just out of place. He approached what looked like a likely spot. It was a fencing school called “Sharpest Steel” it was in good condition and from the outside he could see at least twelve ponies dueling, some with more success than others. He entered and walked up to the receptionist who was writing something.

“Excuse me sir just a minute! I have to tally these accounts. There we are now what can I help you with Mr.?”

“Captain Auto Tomaton of the Royal Canterlot army I am here on Royal business is there a Ms. Shadowfax here?”

“Why yes of course she one of the instructors she busy right now but I’m sure she’ll see you as soon as possible. Though I am curious, why do you need to see her?”

“I guess you could call it recruiting.”

“I wouldn’t get my hopes up if I were you; she doesn’t like the army much.”

“Could you go get her please I don’t mean to be rude but I must pick up a ticket and they go on sale in under an hour. I already might not get there in time.”

“Oh of course.” She left and went toward a group of children learning the safety of fencing and upkeep of a blade. “’S’cuse me Shadow but someone needs to see you about some recruiting thing.”

“I told them I quit for a reason!” The mare snapped back.

“Ok I’ll tell ‘im but he is insistent.” He knew where this was going and just walked up to Shadowfax. She pure white even her mane she had a scar that went from her left ear across to just below her eye. Her eyes were blue and intense with a hidden fear shoved right below the surface. She was a Pegasus.

“Excuse me Miss but I must speak to you in private it is of the utmost importance.”

“You have five minutes follow me.” She lead him upstairs to a storage room old broken swords on the walls a stack of dummies on a pile on the floor and a helm split down the middle on a mount in the back it was of the Canterlot army style and was stained all near the hole. A shattered shield lay in pieces beside it and a letter, unopened, lay next to a picture too old and faded to tell what it was of. “Tell me your version of why I should rejoin go on they are always different and sometimes entertaining.”

“What are you talking about rejoin what?”

“Oh your going for ignorant that’s new, fine I’ll play along. You want me to rejoin the Canterlot army and think that your spin on it will succeed where all the others have failed but it won’t! I won’t go back there! Not now not ever!”

“I am not here for the army. A threat has been discovered of unimaginable size and danger. Even Celestia and Luna may not be able to defeat it! I was sent to find talent to aid us and somepony mentioned you as the greatest fencer in Equestria and we could use that! Now will you join me?”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“I gave my young life to the military! I got to the rank of Captain and lead a squad! But I wasn’t good enough!”

“What do you mean?”

“My brother joined up to be like his big sister and he was placed in my command. Then one day…” She pauses a moment and collects herself. “One day a Hydra broke through the forest and was on its way to ravage the city. All the other squads were too far away to intercept so I told them my squad would hold it off until help arrived. We fended it off well but then it started to slow and I thought we had weakened it so I ordered my squad to finish it off. It was a trick and I fell for it. It tore through my little ponies and only I and two others escaped its reach. My brother wasn’t one of them. He died because of my judgment call. I was wrong and he died. It’s my fault. If it weren’t for me he wouldn’t even have been in the army!”

“I understand… more than most as I was in the same position a few years ago. I will accept it if you choose not to help me.”

“Thank you” She said on the brink of tears.

“No more recruiters will ever bother you; I will make sure of it.” And he left. He picked up the ticket he needed and went back to the hotel. Now he only need wait.

***

The day of the show arrived and so did Trixie. The Captain got into his seat in the front row and sat down ready to observe.

“Welcome Mares and Colts! To the Greatest feat of Magic that will ever be seen! You will be dazzled by none other than The Great and Powerful Trixie! The most powerful Unicorn in all of Equestria!” Smoke began to fill the stage obscuring all sight. “She has defeated an Ursa Major! She out does even the famous Twilight! Her magic is so powerful it even matches, no bests, Celestia’s! Here she is! Trixie!” Out came Trixie, she was a deep blue Unicorn in an outrageous costume she came out singing.
“So there you are my friends! Oh so bored, so frazzled!
I know that you came here just to see me and be dazzled!
None of your could comprehend the magic of which I bring!
But be warned of the great powers to and fro I fling!
There is much danger, for you and you and you Sir!
If I fail to contain the powers that I hold!
You will all leave here much more cold!”

It was the worst musical number he had ever heard. Hopefully her magic was at least half as good as she said it is. Suddenly great flashing lights appeared overhead.

“Now be dazzled as I create the greatest feat of magic ever seen by pony eyes!” Suddenly flashing lights and sounds came from all over. Random feelings of heat and cold confused his sensors and he laid there stunned. But he noticed something odd. Her horn wasn’t glowing at all! She wasn’t doing this! He looked around and saw random audience members intensely focused and their horns alight! It was a sham! He left as soon as he was able, glad to have never spoken with her. He returned to the hotel and decided to wait for the ship with the pyromancer to arrive.

***
It was a nice sunny day when the ship finally came into port; Flashburn had grown tired of the same features and few opportunities for fun that the ship provided. Now he could spend his pay at the nearest sweets shop or book store. Whatever he saw first really. He then he looked at his tattered burnt hat and cloak, maybe a tailor would be better... he thought. He admired his nice green boots. They were his pride and joy, so shiny and green. A nice neon green like his cloak but somehow better. Then he realized, he hadn’t been in Manehatten since he first left and got the job on the boat. Well, he had no friends to have left behind so his home coming would have to be a lonely one; at least they always liked him at the cake shop! He remembers working there for that week before he was fired. Too many burnt cakes they said… He wondered if his room at the inn was still empty.

“Flashburn! Here’s your pay, see ya in a week!” The Captain called out as he tossed a sack over to Flash. Who quickly counted the cash.

“Your about fifty five bits short.”

“Damages got deducted from your pay... again.”

“Oh yeah, well I’ll see you later than.”

“I can’t tell if I look forward to that day Flash.” Flash laughed and left. As he walked off the gangplank he was approached by a Pegasus in a brown cloak obviously covering armor. Probably another bandit trying to get the great pyro into his band. Flash had dealt with this before. If you ran fast enough they would stop chasing eventually. He walked toward him then swerved to the left putting traffic between them and booked it as fast as he could. None could catch the flame! He turned a corner and… ran… smack into a Pegasus… in a brown cloak obviously covering armor. “Oomph… so sorry uh, well hello there! Sorry the bandit life just isn’t for me so… I’ll just be going!” Flash turned and just before he turned the corner a metallic voice behind him said:

“Halt. I am not a bandit, but I do need to interview you.”

“Was there another fire? I’ve been gone all of this year so it wasn’t me!”

“It is something different for that. A threat has been detected and the Princesses may not be able to handle it so they sent me to find talent. You have been said to have talent. Do you wish to take the test?”

“What the hay might as well. What’s the test?” Flash thought, invigorated at the chance of a change!

“Single combat me versus you, you decide weapons or no.” He sighed. “And yes magic counts as a weapon.”

Flash laughed “Ok weapons yes just don’t kill me! When do we start?”

“Now if you like.”

“Now works.”

They began circling each other. The Pegasus let his cloak drop and drew a shield and mace. He wore a set of Canterlot’s Captain’s armor. Then all hay broke loose! Flash shot a blast of fire that the Pegasus blocked. He used the temporary blindness to jump over pile of trash. This “Captain” looked around for him and as soon as his back was turned Flash launched a volley of burning cans and other refuse at his back knocking him over and lighting his cape aflame. He then shot a beam of fire at the more then distracted Captain. “Do you surrender Cap?”

“Aye now put me out!”

The idea had never dawned on him, put out fires? Why? Oh yeah they hurt! “Sorry I don’t know how!”

“Cover me with somethin’ like a cloak fast! My circuits are melting!” So Flash threw his cloak over the captain and patted it out. “You’ve earned the right to join up, do you want to?”

“Sure I’m Flashburn by the way.”

“I’m Captain Auto Tomaton and welcome to the fight.” The brohoofed and that was that.

"By the way, isn't that whole thing a state secret? Why are you spouting it off to every passerby?"

"How else can I recruit?"

"Point taken..."

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading! Please leave a comment or critique below and be sure to be honest, if I suck I suck and if I'm good, I'm good.