• Published 8th Jul 2014
  • 551 Views, 2 Comments

Frozen Equestria - Flashburn37



Nightmare Moon worshipers in the frozen north have a new leader, a natural born alicorn that has declared war on Equestria! But Twilight and her friends are missing! Celestia sends out a brave warrior in search of new talent but will it be enough?

  • ...
0
 2
 551

Chapter 2: Travel

Chapter 2: Travel

With one recruit Auto began to have his hope restored! Maybe if he got lucky he could get another to join up! He was done in Manehatten and needed to expand his search. In order to live in a dangerous place such as the Everfree Forest one needed to be of good skill! That place would have fewer harder to find candidates but less false ones as well. He simply had to get acquainted with this unicorn and bring him along. Maybe he knew of other special ponies that could help! They just had to restock first…

“We will set out for the Everfree in the morning but we need provisions do you know of any good stores?” asked Captain Auto Tomaton.

“Wait we’re leaving that soon? I need to tell the Cap’ I won’t be there to power the ship! Oh and yes I do there is a lovely shop called “Travel supplies and lawn mowers” they should have all you need, and if they don't you could get a lawnmower!” Flash exclaimed. “Where should we meet up after I talk to my boss?”

“Meet me at the Sugar Cube inn and if I’m not back purchase some travel clothes you look ridicules in that neon green cloak and boots.”

“What do you have against my boots?” Flashburn indignantly huffed.

“You just look a bit out there.”

“Fine I will go get new clothes. You need anything at the tailor’s?”

“No thank you.”

“Ok I’ll see you later then.”

***

It had been awhile since Flashburn had met anyone who thought that his talent was useful for anything other than caravan raiding or fueling a ship. Maybe he shouldn’t have committed himself to this cause. Well what’s done is done. Now to the tailors! Nowhere is there a better tailor than in Manehatten than at Sweetie’s!

Sweetie’s was a higher end establishment being funded by the Rarity Corporation but she somehow managed to help even the poorest of ponies on top of a large workload of the rich. And on top of that she still managed to have an impressive singing carrier! Someponies just get it all don’t they? It looked very similar to the original boutique in ponyville but with a few differences. For instance there were two guest houses attached for whom though Flashburn knew not. Besides he didn’t care and she never spoke of it. It had been a long time since he had seen Sweetie he wondered if she was able to fill that order for Hoity Toity? The door was open so he let himself in. The place was…a…terrible mess. “Did a fabric store explode in here?”

“Oh I’ll be right with you!” He heard from the back room. Suddenly curious he looked at the doors to the guest houses. One was well worn he could tell but the other… Why it was in good condition but it looked seldom used. At least a few years if not more! Then he saw it… the best cloak ever! Even brighter green than his! And the tag said it was fire resistant! A match made in heaven if ever before there was! As he marveled at the fabric Sweetie walked in.

“Flash? Flashburn is that you! It has been months! How’ve you been? How’s the new job? Oh and how’s Sparkboom doing? And what are you up to now?”

“Ok one at a time I’ve been swell, the job was good but a bit dull, and when it comes to Boomie, well we no longer… uh… I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Well that’s unfortunate, So what are you up to now?”

“I’ve been recruited for a quest! I quest to do… something!”

“You don’t even know do you?” Sweetie shook her head and laughed under her breath.

“Not really no. But I do know that I need a new cloak and hat and I couldn’t help but notice that beauty over there!” He pointed to the green cape.

“Actually I made that for you specifically, after we last saw each other call it a gift, something tells me you’ll need the fire resistant fabric very soon and if you run into Sparky…”

“Boomie.” He interrupted.

“If you ever run into her again tell her to visit I found some blast resistant fabric made with magic and I thought she’d want it. And for your hat do want the usual or are you gonna listen to styling sense?”

“What do you think?”

“As always I have one already made, you go through them so quickly I feel not to would be rather irresponsible of me.”

“Well I gotta go how much I owe you for the hat?”

“Five bits after your discount and thank you for your patronage.”

“See you later then!”

“Bye!”

As he was leaving he suddenly remembered his question, “Oh and when I left both rooms were in use but I never met the occupants who are they?”

“Applebloom and Scoo… well she doesn’t visit anymore. We had a falling out over some fight, haven’t seen her since.”

“That’s a shame.”

“You have no idea.”

He left even more confused than when he came in. Sweetie always seemed so happy before and the mere mention of this pony seemed to bring such sorrow into her eyes. Right then and there he vowed to find this Scoot and fix this rift between such obviously close friends. That was for another time though, now he had a world to save. To the Inn! Wait… What Inn was it again?

***

“Alas for my mission! Several weeks into it and I have one recruit! If I even have one, he is over four hours gone and seems slightly... well... insane! Celestia will forgive and understand, but if I fail… At least I have one.” Mused Auto.

“I’m sure he’ll be right along Captain.” Said the innkeeper Poundcake.

“I hope your right.” Unfortunately he couldn’t delay much longer or he might be too late and an outright desertion would surely cripple his search. Besides he didn’t like the idea of heading into the Everfree Forest alone with talk of the Everfree Raiders increasing robberies. How would they respond if they found him? He the Captain of the Cantorlot Guard, the pony who’s been dogging them for years? No the thought did not make him very eager. But he was sent to find talent and to live there one needed a significant amount just to survive there alone. But what if it was a trap or even a false statement, the delay would be costly. Just as he considered this Flashburn walked in, in a neon green cloak and a nigh identical hat as the one he was wearing this morning. The only reason it seemed different was the fact that it didn’t have holes in it. “I thought I told you to get new clothes!”

“I did!”

“No you didn’t you got fresh ones. Well so much for avoiding attention in the forest.”

“Look at the bright side its fire proof! Oh, and it’s green! So green. Like my boots. I love my boots.”

“I noticed. Get some sleep we leave in the morning.”

“Ok so Cap, or do you prefer Auto?”

“Auto.”

“I prefer Cap. Goodnight Cap.” He walked up stairs and went to sleep.

“I’d better sleep as well G’Night Mr. Cake.”

“Mr. Cake is my father," Poundcake laughed, "Goodnight Auto.” And so he went up stairs and plugged in.

***

Flash does not wake up well. Not well at all. This was the first lesson Captain Auto learned of his new companion. He had planned on leaving at the break of dawn, Flash was thinking around noon. After some grumbling Flash woke up a full hour after sunrise and they were on their way to the Everfree Forest. It was a bright and sunny day and the perfect temperature for walking. It would be slower than flying but, if Flash had any magic to get himself in the air he didn’t mention it and with his special talent Auto was afraid to ask. Anyway at least the weather was nice, in the morning. Around three a high wind picked up and clouds formed above. Little did they know that this was no planned pony storm but the Everfree’s tempest that broke the bonds of the encompassing woodlands.

As lighting began to flash and rain fell in sheets Auto realized the dangers they now faced. The trees began to groan as branches cracked and fell away. The rain pounded in from all sides blinding them to all else. Then Auto screamed to Flash “We must find shelter or we are doomed!”

“You find a place I will provide temporary relief!”

“Fine, just don’t burn the forest down!”

Auto ran to a nearby hill as Flash prepared one of his more useful spells that he learned combating storms at sea. He gathered all of the energy he had until his horn was aglow with power and he sent out a wave of heat intolerable to most ponies that evaporated every drop of water in the nearby hills and scorching the land at his feet. The rain stopped for about seven seconds but it was enough for Auto to find a suitable cave that wouldn’t flood.

“Well I think you just proved your worth to my quest! How’d you do that?!”

“Well water evaporates due to heat and condenses into water when it cools down. All I did was heat it up again.”

“It was incredible!”

“Well I sure hope so it is exhausting!”

“We aren’t leaving until the weather clears up anyways so take a nap.” There was nothing Flashburn wanted more than sleep but he had work to do after all the cave is rather deep and they don’t know if they are alone.

“I’ll scout the cave first; after all I have a light.” He really did not want to but he was the obvious choice for the job. The cave had a bend in it that led to a side chamber with nothing in it thank Celestia. He returned to Auto, told him, returned to the side chamber, and slept.

***

Rouge was awakened by the shattering report near here forest home. As she gazed into the night she saw a radiant burst of red light encompass a road not far away and as it reached her she felt its’ heat and it was intense, so intense the rain just stopped. In all her years in the Everfree Forest she had never seen anything like that before. It wasn’t the first time she had to defend her home and it was likely not the last so she strung her bow and left.

By the time she was ready the storm had returned in full force and she was forced to lay low, not that she had a problem with walking it just took too long. She had misjudged the strength of the storm though and had to find shelter, Brumble’s cave would do nicely.

Brumble was an old bear who was never too aggressive and she had grown to like him even if he didn’t make his way down to the stream often enough. As she walked into the dark small cave she heard a confused growling from the back. “It’s me you smelly old puffball.” He grunted and moseyed on down back to his spot. She really did like that bear.

***

“The storms quieted down, we should leave now.” Said Flash. He had a bad feeling that the cave was about to become crowded and he didn’t want to be here for that.

“Why are you so keen to leave?” asked Auto.

“I just have a feeling somepony important is about to show up and knowing the Everfree forest…”

“The Everfree Raiders. Long have I hunted them but their leader somehow remains a step ahead of me every time. I trust your judgment. We must go now.” But it was too late. As a cloud break illuminated the entrance a shadow fell over both of them. The turned to see, at the mouth of the cave, a crossbow leveled in their direction, a hooded figure holding it.

Then in a cockney accent he said “Now this tis lovely the boss pays well fur kidnappin’s but I wonder how much I’ll get fo’ you Capin’ Tomaton… now move it the both o’ yee’s.” He moved so that they had room to exit while staying at least ten feet away from him at all times. “An don’ even think about runnin’ ‘cause we got anotha three of us out side.” He wasn’t lying. At that moment neither Flash nor Auto had any ideas on how to escape without one or both of them being shot.

“Alright now we are heading for the outside. We will make no sudden moves our stuff is in the back chamber of the cave we will make no move for our weapons. Just keep calm we will not fight.” Captain Auto had been in this situation before but always with backup a few minutes away.

“Right grab your things and exit, and no funny business.” As they grabbed their packs flash stumbled on his new cloak, the crossbowman almost fired right then and there.

“It’s ok he just slipped. We are not doing anything to attempt to fight back or escape. OK?”

“Just don’t do it again or I mighten be in the mood fer shootin’,” They grabbed their things and left the cave, a crossbow to their back and several more than three in front of them. Auto knew he could escape by himself but he couldn’t just leave Flash at the hands of the infamous Everfree Raiders. His only hope was to play along and hope they decided to ransom them. “Camps west, start marchin’.”

***

Their camp was ramshackle at best. Everything was built for quick deconstruction and reconstruction to avoid the Canterlot armies. When they arrived they could count about forty ponies all between the ages of young adulthood and near veneration, those who were too young weren’t allowed to join and the old were left behind. In a way Auto was nervous yet excited to meet the pony that had evaded him all this time. He wondered who it was. What was their cutie mark? What kind of pony were they? Pegasus? Unicorn? Ground? Was it a he or a she? For all of his investigations and funds spent he knew nothing of his adversary. His followers were almost as loyal as Rainbowdash! As they went further into the camp it seemed that the world seemed to darken just a bit. If this pony thought death was all he deserved after chasing them for so long… He would have failed the princess.

***

Rouge watched them from atop a cloud. “Humph of course they are Raiders, anyone who enters my forest that isn’t lost or a trader always is.” Then she thought to herself, why? Why did they always do that? Would another ever enter the forest in the search of peace and tranquility? It did not seem likely, after all of these years… a whole century and yet none have come other than Zecora and Fluttershy, but neither seemed much fun. Was she destined to live alone with only animals like Brumble to talk to? At first the isolation had been great but now it was really dragging her down. She wouldn’t return to her home… how could she? After all this time? They must think me dead she thought ponderously. Well she might watch a tad longer initiations were always fun to watch. What test would they face? Even if they succeeded would they be let in? The gang leader was always particular to only let diehard loyalists in. I guess that’s how he’s avoided capture for so long... she inferred. Anyway it was time to watch the fireworks.

***

“Could it be? Has the opportunity finally arisen? Have I finally procured He who has plagued me all these years? Neigh! It must be a farce and a contemptible one at that! So what’s the plan! Are your solders right behind you about to run in? They’ll never catch us… Even if they find me, the Raiders will live on! Now save yourself your dignity and tell me… What plans do you have that caused you to be captured?” He, it surely was a male, spoke in a refined high cantorlotion accent never misplacing a vowel and as smooth as silk. Auto still had yet to see him but already knew this was no decoy, this was he who had evaded him all these years.

“I seem to be at a disadvantage, you knowing everything about me but I knowing naught of you! So tell me at least this much first, your name! Then you will know my purpose on the name of my Princesses’ honor!”

“Well I can trust that! You honor her higher than your own life! Fine I am James Vander Quickhoof! Let me guess, never heard that name before have you?”

“No I haven’t.”

“I have,” Interjected Flash, “You are son of the Rich family but due to the nature of your cutie mark your father tried to erase all knowledge of your existence!”

“Ho-How how did you know that?” Balked James. No one knew that! Not even his closest advisors! You could see a collective shock spread amongst the members of the camp as their leader’s greatest secret laid bare for them all to hear.

“If your families rich, why do you stand for spreading the wealth?” stated one of the bandits.

“Yeah! My father lost his job ‘cause the Rich families company bought out the mill!”

“My job was stolen by him too!”

“Hypocrite!”

“We should mutiny and have a true leader! Not one who is the posh son of a rich family!”

“Did you just bring us out of here for fun? Knowing that you had a safety net? How dare you!”

“Richie Rich!”

“Backstabber!”

Auto was just as confused as the others, “How’d you know that Flash?” He whispered.

“I was there. My case was right after his.” After the questioning glance Flash decided to elaborate. “He was getting his name legally changed and I was the suspect in a sudden fire… it was an accident really! Anyway he was upset and I was curious so I eavesdropped.”

***

This was odd. Rouge had seen many an induction ceremony but never had one gone this way. It seem as if their leader was in over his head for the first time since he started this group, and the recruits seemed more like prisoners than possible bandits. Then she saw it. In the pack of the Pegasus was a set of cantorlotion armor. This was no induction! This was an interrogation and it appeared one of their responses seemed to have upset the group. She had to help the prisoners! But how? Brumble. No one could ignore him! “Hang in solder help is on the way!”

She sped for the cave. For the first time in years she was going to actually do something! She would save them and learn of their stories! Maybe, just maybe they could be the friends she was missing! “Brumble you big oaf get up! We have a job to do…”

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading and please leave a comment or critique! I love hearing from people! Makes me feel like I'm, not yelling at a brick wall...