• Published 8th Jul 2014
  • 551 Views, 2 Comments

Frozen Equestria - Flashburn37



Nightmare Moon worshipers in the frozen north have a new leader, a natural born alicorn that has declared war on Equestria! But Twilight and her friends are missing! Celestia sends out a brave warrior in search of new talent but will it be enough?

  • ...
0
 2
 551

Chapter 29: Trials of Peace

Chapter29: Trials of peace

Celestia, Luna, Cadence, and Twilight stared across the wreckage of Cantorlot and the faces of their citizens looking up to them with hope. Celestia took a step forward a quieted the crowd with her hoof. As they settle down she looked at her sister, herself and her student. They all wore bandages that covered wounds gained in the service of Equestria. She herself wore an eye-patch due to lucky Freezer. The crowd had settled so she began, "Ponies of Equestria. We have won, or land is now safe from invasion and our allies have arrived to help with reconstruction. Let us all rejoice in the knowledge that our way of life has been preserved, but let us never forget what it cost. Our friends, our relatives, our fellow Equestrians who have lain down their lives so you may remain free. Know their courage will be remembered and grieve their loss. They did not give their lives so we would mope though. We will celebrate our victory and their lives during the feast of the fallen, which will be held in ten moons all over Equestria. This feast will be held annually as the Summer Sun Celebration is. Even though we have achieved victory on the battle field another battle is before us. Times will be hard until we recover our full strength. That is why we Princesses have decided to remove all taxes until further notice. We will spend all that we have in the reserve to aid in the recovery. During this freeze Government jobs will remain paid, except those of Royalty. Summer will be extended until further notice. Remember always shall evil try to steal away our love, our peace, our happiness, or our very lives, but they will never, they will never succeed as long as we remain true to our friends!" The crowd stomped in applause and the Princesses re-entered the castle as the sun finally set.

***

"Flash?" Sparkboom called from out the Gala Chamber. He turned and looked at her, she wore a beautiful dress and he looked at his neon green tux. He shook at his head as he listened to the cellist as she played. "Come inside, it's a tad dull but Pinkie just got here so it'll liven up. Come on, we're personal guests of Celestia herself!"

"I'll be right in." He sighed.

"Are you sure you don't want to just go back home?"

"I'll be fine." He assured her. "Now go inside and enjoy the party."

"Alright, Octavia is in full form tonight, you should hurry up out here." She walked back inside.

Flash turned and stared up at the statue. After the cremation Auto's will said he wanted his ashes spread across the Cantorlot Gardens... Celestia had this statue erected so they would still have a place to visit. It was a great statue. A stallion blocking something with a shield while standing in front of a foal. It even had his mace. A tear slowly formed in his eye, but he blinked it away. Auto and Wildpaw were dead, and Rogue and James missing. It was hard to think that it had already been ten moons... Flash still spoke to Anti and Shadow occasionally, but only in letters. Shadow was reinstated as a Captain and Anti had chosen to return to the spy academy as a teacher. None of his other friends had survived. Besides Boomie. Flash didn't know how'd he'd of coped without her. He walked up and put a hoof on the marbled version of Auto. "See you again soon Cap, we did well didn't we? Equestria is safe, Twilight and the bearers of the Elements of Harmony are all alive and well, Rainbow can even fly again! Luna wasn't destroyed by the Freezers... Absol goes on trial tomorrow. I don't know how to feel about that. Me and Boomie are doing well! We're moving far away soon. I don't even know where... just... away. I'm leaving them a way to contact me just in case they need me though. Well... It was nice knowing you Captain Auto Tomaton, and an honor, to serve with you. Oh, and Chryssy still hasn't replied to one letter!" He turned and walked into the party. Celestia and the other Princesses sat at the staircase greeting anypony that wanted to meet them and the bearers of the Elements of Harmony were scattered about. He spotted Boomie next to Shadow and Anti and walked towards them, smiling through the pain.

***

Absol glared at the stone wall of his prison. He was set to go to trial tomorrow and he knew how it would end. He was guilty beyond defense. His crimes were insurmountable and unjustified. He lead a war of hate a fear across the lands of Equestria. And for what reason? For his sister? She didn't even love him in the end. He would remain strong. The Equestrians would see no fear in his eyes when they paraded him before the masses before finally laying down punishment. Would it be banishment? Imprisonment? Maybe they would banish him, then throw him in a dungeon in the place they had banished him to. He did not care, Celestia had taken his mother, his father, and now even his sister from him. He spat in disgust.

***

"Order! Order!" Celestia slammed down her gavel to silence the court room. "We are here to pass judgment on the case of General Absol of the Freezers versus the People of Equestria for War Crimes in the Frozen War. The prosecutor will be a third party, as far unaffected by the war as we could find. North, emissary to the Kingdom of Isles. We were unable to find a defense attorney that would defend Absol to their fullest so yet another pony who is untrained in being a lawyer. Flashburn?" She said confused. She turned to Twilight and whispered, "Why Flashburn?"

"He volunteered!" She whispered back, almost as confused as she was.

"Alright... Prosecution, your opening statement if you would." Luna prompted.

"General Absol is a blight upon our world. He used fear and hate to command a vast army with the intention of attacking Equestria without provocation. His crimes are not only against Equestria, but also his own people. The ponies of the North who were given no choice but to fight, or be beaten or even killed by him. He is at his core, truly evil. We seek nothing less than banishment, to the sun or moon, or execution. The prosecution rests."

"Defense, it is time for your opening statement." Luna stated.

Flashburn stood from where he was sitting and walked to the center of the room. "There is no point in fighting for innocent. Everypony knows what he has done. I lost many of my own friends fighting the Freezers. The defense seeks not freedom, but only a few years imprisonment." He was cut off by sounds of discontent from the gathered representatives of the Equestrian Nobility.

"Order! Flashburn please continue." Celestia quieted the room.

"Thank you, as I was saying we do not seek no punishment, only a few years, five to ten, of prison time. Followed by community service. The defense rests."

"Prosecution, your first witness?"

***

The trial went on and on as North called up more and more war torn victims. From captured Freezers to orphaned fillies. Flash remained silent through it all, never once cross examining a witness. What would the point have been? They only spoke the truth. Absol had done terrible things. His guilt was without question.

"Well, that was... informative." Celestia began, "Defense? Do you have any witnesses?"

"Two, Milady. I wish to skip my examination of the first witness and have the prosecution cross examine him."

"Whatever for?" Celestia asked.

"Because it would be pointless for me to examine myself."

"Alright... a tad unusual but, I'll allow it."

Flashburn trotted up to the stand and gave his statement. As he passed Absol he told him, "I'm going to have to give away a few of your secrets and personal information, sorry but it's for your own good. Promise you won't interrupt me?" Absol nodded and Flash hopped up before the gathered ponies. "Before the war escaladed and the Freezers invaded I was abducted by the Freezers and enchanted to believe that they were the Equestrians. Well, then they put this artifact on me that turned me evil and when the enchantment was broken I didn't care who I was burning. So trust me when I say this next thing. He wasn't attacking us. You see, they all assumed I wouldn't remember anything that happened while I was enchanted, but I'm from thousands of years in the past and due to evolution my mind is some what... different than your average colt's. So I retained most of it, even the stuff I wish I could forget. But that's irrelevant. While I was enchanted I overheard who I thought was Auto talking to his Sister via magic and eventually I managed to pester more out of him. The only reason he spoke to me was because he thought I'd forget everything." Flashburn sighed and looked at Absol then Celestia. "Sorry Princess but this won't make you look too good."

"If it brings about the truth I'm sure no harm will come of it, I have nothing to hide."

Flash nodded, "Thank you. Now as to what I heard. Evandra was, in my opinion, absolutely insane and bent on the annihilation of Equestria. You see, she did not earn Alicorn...ness... like my good friend Princess Twilight Sparkle or the Princess Mia Amora Cadenza whom I haven't met. She was born to it. Back when Princess Celestia ruled alone, she was doing... honestly more work than most would believe possible for two ponies and thusly she wanted to find help. She made a law, all alicorns must be raised by the State and groomed for being royalty. Well... No matter how much training and screening the guard does... some... bad apples do get in. Stationed in her town were two such guardsponies. They heard of the little alicorn and, after several drinks, made their way to their home. Seeing Evandra there playing alone they decided to, instead of finding her parents, just take her and explain later. Her parents heard her scream and rushed out. It got violent fast. After seeing them murdered in front of her and her brother she escaped with Absol, angry, confused, and alone. She was later picked up by a cult worshipping Nightmare Moon and used her influence to raise the army that attacked us. She was raised by the worst of the worst while in a weak mental state and what she saw there... pushed her over the edge. There was nothing Absol could do to stop her, he did try though. Often. Until she accused him of being responsible for their parents death. Have any of you tried to tell an Alicorn what to do? Or an insane pony? Imagine both! She said he was older and he should have acted. I hope everypony here understands how utterly stupid that is. He couldn't continue to push her away, so he helped her. He knew that she was going to march on Equestria, and he feared she would die. So he fought to secure her victory so she may finally know peace. As I said before, he wasn't attacking us. He was defending her. I know I'd have fought just as hard for my family. And that's why I can't blame him. He was in a terrible situation and... made do. No, I'm not saying what he did was right, far from it! But you are accusing him of attacking without provocation, when he was defending his sister the only way he could. He deserves punishment, but I feel that at the death of his sister... wasn't that close to enough? That's all I have to say. Prosecution, you have the floor."

North walked towards the stand, "Flashburn. Do you swear what you say is the truth?"

"Yes."

"Without a doubt?"

"Yes."

"Will you willingly have your mind searched and memories viewed so as to make sure the enchantment did not addle your brain?"

"Of course, as long as they promise not to view any memories not vital. And to not go near my childhood. Oh and if they see any mental block than to just stay away from it. Also I'd prefer if it were after my last witness."

"You have my word. The persecution rests."

"Flashburn, bring out your final witness." Celestia whispered, still shocked at what she had heard.

"General Absol, if you would please take the stand?" Absol slowly stood and marched up to where Flashburn had stood.

"Let's get this over with..." He sighed.

"Alright Absol," Flash began. "Let's start at the beginning of the war shall we? You received orders to do what exactly?"

"Her exact words were, "Destroy the Equestrian Filth." I may be paraphrasing, it was a while ago and a lots happened."

"Was that all she said?" Flash asked.

"Well, there was a rant before about how I had failed to get every element of harmony and how if it weren't for the fact she needed me that I'd have died for my incompetence long ago and a cryptic warning that if I failed at achieving complete and utter victory that I would no longer be able to rely on that detail."

"So would it be safe to say that your actions afterwards were in self defense?"

"I'm not sure if that would be accurate. I was crueler than I needed to be to many of my soldiers, looking back at it now I realize that I was taken my own anger at my situation out on them. At the time I justified it to myself by saying that it was making them a stronger force." He shook his head and stopped talking.

"Did you fear for your sister's safety during the war?"

"I did at first but... right before the final battle I was more worried that she didn't care if I lived or not. I was less concerned with keeping her unharmed then with earning her love. That's why I left her to lead the army myself rather than guard her. I don't think she ever cared for me."

"That's not true!" Twilight blurted. She looked around the courtroom and saw everypony staring at her. She blushed and nervously laughed. "I'm sorry."

"Twilight if you know something then please speak up." North nodded.

"Well, it's just. She said your name when she died, Absol. Even if she hated you all her life, she realized how much she loved you in the end."

Absol gave a half smile, "Thank you Princess."

Celestia smacked the gavel down once, "We should return to the matter at hoof."

"Alright!" Flash said. "Absol, one final question from me. Do you blame Princess Celestia or Princess Luna for your parents death? Remember you are under oath."

Absol turned and stared directly into the eyes of the Princess of the Sun. "No."

"Well, I guess that's it. The persecution rests." North sighed. "I guess it's up to the jury now."

"Court adjourned for today. We will return tomorrow with for the verdict and sentencing." Celestia commanded.

***

Flashburn was nervous, the jury looked vicious. The head juror walked up, she was a brown ground pony with a blonde mane. Her name tag said... Ms. Harsh Whinny. Wow, that did not bode well for Absol. "The jury has made a decision. As for the crime of attacking Equestria without provocation, we found the defendant guilty. As for the crimes against his own people we find him guilty of all charges." Flashburn's eye twitched. "As for the crime of assault with a deadly weapon we find him guilty." Flashburn turned and saw Spike sitting in the back row. He scribbled two notes and quietly snuck back to him. "The crime of illegal spell casting we find him guilty."

Flash whispered, "Hey in about five minutes can you send this note to me? Oh and please don't saying anything. Oh and send this one to..." He whispered the rest as the pony next to Spike began to lean towards them.

"Alright Flash, I hope you know what you're doing." Spike promised looking shocked.

Flash nodded and snuck back to his seat as Ms. Harsh Whinny exposited the jury's decision. "In short we find him guilty of every crime he was charged with."

Celestia sighed, she could not shirk her duties to her ponies, no matter how she felt. "I am sorry Absol, the minimum punishment for your crimes is as follows, two thousand three hundred and sixty years of banishment on the moon and three hundred years of community service. I will now carry out the sentence." She floated up and began channeling magic. The sun rose and Flash turned and signaled Spike to hurry up. The note appeared before Flash and drew the attention of many ponies.

Flash tore upon the note and pretended to read it, "Celestia! Stop!" He blurted jumping up. She stopped channeling and floated back into her seat.

"What is it Flash? It had better be important." She scolded him, kind of irritated.

"The jury found Absol guilty of those crimes yes?" He yammered.

"That is why I'm banishing him."

"Objection!" Flash yelled as he shot a spell at Absol. "Wow that was fun to say."

Flash's spell surrounded Absol in a cloud of smoke and when it drifted away a changeling stood before them! "WHAT!?" They all screamed.

"How did you know that wasn't Absol?"

"I just got this note from this note from Queen Chrysalis, I've been her pen pal for a bit actually and yesterday I told her of the trial! This note shows she is outraged because Absol died in the service right before the final battle and Evandra hired a changeling to take his place! The changeling got enchanted into believing he actually was Absol, I guess it never wore off. You can't banish him because he isn't Absol!" Everypony was very confused and the Changeling's head ached. "You Changeling! I'll take you to a safe place where you may wait for Chrysalis!" He pulled it into a side room.

"Flash!" It hissed, "What are you doing?"

"Look, remember how you told me your Sister turned you half Changeling and you used your old form because it was most comfortable?"

"Yesss..." Absol hissed.

"Nopony but me and you know this. I sent the Queen a letter explaining everything... I just hope she read it. If she did she'll be here shortly, she'll help you I know it! Just like you and me she is an outcast. Now... just play along with it!"

"Thank you Flassssh."

"No problem, now for my sake and yours... pretend to be a Changeling!"

***

Celestia shut down the castle after that. Flashburn was sent to the apartment the Princess had supplied until the matter had been settled. It had been three days! He paced constantly and Boomie did her best to comfort him. "There's nothing else you could have done! Now relax. Hey the next Daring Do book is out in the Cantorlot Library and guess who checked it out for you?"

Flash smiled, "Thanks but... I just... I'm so worried!" There was a knocking at the door. "I'll get it!" He dashed to the entry way and swung wide the portal to reveal, Celestia.

"Flashburn, what did you do?" She said angrily.

"Um..." He sweated, "Um... I, I, I've been inside all week if there was a fire it wasn't me!"

"There was no fire. The Queen of the Changelings showed up today and we had a long discussion. She even showed me the note you sent."

Flash's eyes went wide, "Oh."

"I will give you one chance to come clean. What. Did. You. Do?" She glared.

Flash dropped his head and stared at his hoof as he poked at the ground. "I'm sorry... I... I just... I knew something and... I lied... I just... I had to help him."

"How did you turn Absol into a Changeling?"

"I didn't, Evandra did. I'm sorry. I accept whatever punishment you deem fit. Just... leave Boomie out of it! I guess I won't see her again until I'm off the moon with Absol..."

"Punishment? Moon? Absol? Flashburn, I sent Absol with Chrysalis. You saved him! You, who had every reason to hate him, showed him the greatest kindness." She lifted his head up and looked him in the eyes as a mother does a child. "You would risk your life for an enemy, not because of gain or petty reasons but because it is right. I'm here to reward you."

Flashburn smiled at looked up at her and in a strangely serious and happy tone whispered, "Just don't make me an Alicorn."

***

Twilight stood in the empty apartment where she had hoped to find Flashburn. She flew out the window to the garden where she knew Celestia was filling out tax reports and attempting to pay for the rest of the reconstruction with what little they had left. "Princess Celestia! Where is Flashburn? I need to speak with him about where he left that enchanted spear."

"I'm sorry Twilight, you should have come to me sooner. The spear is useless, he drained all it had. Now it is merely a sharp stick and a memory. As for where Flash is, I haven't the slightest. In exchanged for his services he asked for only two things. One was the ability to see his friends whenever he wanted and the other... well it was silly. So I gave him a medallion that allows for quick teleportation. A valuable piece of magic, but I believe it is good hooves. He and Sparkboom moved somewhere far away. He wanted to be left close to alone so he asked I keep his location a secret. Hmph well I guess he asked for three things."

"Well, what happens now?" Twilight asked.

"We rebuild, heal, and soon this whole incident will be a long forgotten memory."

"I guess, now you said it was silly but what was his other request?"

"Not to be made an Alicorn." Celestia laughed, "I guess he's smarter than he looks." She and Twilight laughed and sat down to file more paperwork.
************************************************************************************* THE END

Author's Note:

Thank you all for joining me on this crazy ride! Wow three years of writing! Well... minus the off season so more like one... anyhow it is finally over! Um this chapter... I... ugh... I don't like it but I can't think of a way to fix it but have it still end the way I want it to. Critiques much needed. I can't believe it's over! Or is it?