• Published 8th Jul 2014
  • 551 Views, 2 Comments

Frozen Equestria - Flashburn37



Nightmare Moon worshipers in the frozen north have a new leader, a natural born alicorn that has declared war on Equestria! But Twilight and her friends are missing! Celestia sends out a brave warrior in search of new talent but will it be enough?

  • ...
0
 2
 551

Chapter 18: War Rises

Chapter 18: War Rises

Shining Armor learned something that day. Crystal Ponies do not bleed, they crack. They Shatter. None of his training could prepare him for the horrors of war. He'd been in battles before, he had even faced Sombra one on one. But never was blood drawn, never were bones broken... Never had he heard the sounds or smelled the smells of War. His spear, soaked in the blood of his enemies did little to comfort him. When they had arrived the Fort was already under siege but with his help the Freezers were driven back. Little did he notice the devastation until he looked back. When he did he wanted nothing more than to turn forward, to find some excuse that would lead him and the survivors away. But he knew he could not. Wounded needed treatment, corpses needed burying, friends... needed mourning. As he walked around the battlefield the blood, the fires, the terror, it all gripped him at once. This was his doing. His "Victory." Sure the Freezers would have attacked either way, but... He brought the Crystal Soldiers here. His own little Crystal Guard. He had trained them well and they fought furiously, not one retreated. Not one gave ground. Not one gave quarter. What were they fighting for? Their lands were safe and, in the foreseeable future would remain so. He looked at the shattered remains of a young colt. "Did I bring you here?" He mused aloud. "Did you come simply because I called for you? Because of my speech?" He shook the thoughts out of his head. "Survivors report!" He called out into the haze. A few scattered replies penetrated the gloom. "Those who can, search for wounded and bring them to the Infirmary! If you are wounded, Freezer or not, and can call out do so! We will treat you the same as one of our own! You will likely need medical attention!" Was he right to do so? Offer medical attention to the enemy? What would Twilight do? He thought for a moment. He knew that he had to help them. Peace and harmony could only be achieved by helping one another.

A voice at his hoof coughed up at him, "As... As... if you'd really treat us as one of your own!" It spat at him. He looked down and saw a Freezer with a stab wound through the chest. A young Pegasi that glared at him. "Th... This is war! You'll do what we were ordered to do... You'll either kill me immediately or kill me while interrogating me! Well... Do what you will!" Shining Armor kneeled down to check the wound. It wasn't fatal but if left unattended much longer it would be. He wrapped the wound and carried her to the Infirmary. "What are you *cough* DOING!"

"You are wounded. I'm taking you to the Infirmary." The adrenaline was wearing off... He was becoming giddy to be alive. "Medic! We have a wounded mare over here that needs a more practiced hoof!"

A medic ran up then slowed when he saw who the injured one was. "Sir, it may have escaped your notice, but that's a Freezer."

"I noticed, now please take her... I'm feeling rather faint and she is getting heavier." When the medic did not move, Shining order barked. "Move! We have other wounded that will need your attention so the sooner you're done here the better! That's an order!"

"Oh yeah? From who?" The medic rebutted.

"High General of the Crystal Empire, former Captain of the Guard in Cantorlot, and brother to the Princess Twilight Sparkle! Now Go! Help her!"

"But she's the Enemy!"

"And you were her enemy! She was only following orders! If you will break your Hippocratic oath, then find me a Doctor who won't!"

"I'll treat her, but know this... She will get what's coming to her, even if not at my hooves."

Shining Armor laid her down on a mat. "I've looked over the wound, I know it isn't fatal. If she dies, I'll have you Court Marshaled for murder." He swayed to the left and caught himself on a rock.

"Sir!?" The medic yelled. "Get help! I can't leave her under his orders but he nee..." And Shining Armor blacked out.

***

His head hurt. It really, really hurt. His eyes were closed. What was going on? He decided to try to open his eyes but right as they were about to part he felt a terrible pain and so he shut them once more. What happened... He remembered running... and fighting... and... a mare... Suddenly he remembered all that had happened and his eyes shot open. He was in a bed... He tried leaning up but he was restrained. "Hhh... Hhh... Hello?" He called out weakly, his very voice paining him. He heard a rather large commotion outside as shadows darted around the light from under the door.

"He's awake!" A muffled voice called out, "Bring me some water! And some food! What do you mean what kind of food!? Soft food you idiot! Like applesauce!" The voice grew louder as it approached the door. The door opened, and in front of him stood a mare in Equestrian military uniform. "Hello General, I am now the commanding officer here, you suffered a head wound in the battle, what do you remember?"

"Too much... I remember the carnage... The blood... The screams... The surviving Freezers! What happened to them!?"

"Well, thanks to your troops and your orders, around three received treatment but alas, only one survived. A mare pegasus who's convinced we'll kill her through interrogation."

"I'd like to see her if I can."

"Sir, I'm sorry to say this, but you are too wounded to do anything even close to that stressful for at least a few days."

"And during those days? What will happen to her?"

"We'll keep her in a cell, feed her, and give her water. Until you are well enough to deal with her. We are lucky any survived, Freezers usually fight to the death... I guess now we know why. They have convinced their troops we are the same monsters they are. To think they actually believe we'd torture them."

"Why is that so strange to you? We believe they'd torture us. Is that any different?"

"I guess not. Well, I have work to do and you need your rest, I'll come back later with a full casualty report."

"Thank you, miss..?"

"Lieutenant Quicken Bolt, your food will be in here shortly. Goodbye." She exited.

***

Flashburn trudged next to a distraught Twilight who would not stop her worried chatter about Celestia and the Elements, "Oh, but what if they can't get one!? Or they can't get it in time!? What if Celestia doesn't get better!?" Flash had, had enough.

He spun about, venom in his voice, "Well, then all this mindless prater wouldn't change a thing now would it!? Now for the love of all that is Harmonious! Shut. Up. About. That. Which. We. All. Are. Worried. It changes nothing! We need only to act! I trust my friends completely! It's yours who worry me."

"You do realize I'm a Princess right? What do you mean my friends worry you?!" Twilight snapped back.

Flashburn was seething in annoyed anger, "Oh! Where do I begin? How about with Rainbow? She's so headstrong her Element may actually hinder her! What if she must betray us to complete the mission!? Oh then there's honest Applejack! Yeah, Honesty! Great thing for a spy to have, huh?! Rarity... Actually she might do really well..." After a short pause, "Fluttershy! She won't be able to pass as a bloodthirsty Freezer! My only worry with Pinkie is that she blows her cover with some stupid joke. Not one of my friends have these problems! They can lie well, they can act bloodthirsty, they can stay in character! They will do what's necessary to complete the mission!"

Twilight was taken aback by his logic... Her friends were not warriors, or spies, or even had the slightest training. Anger boiled up in her until her genius mind came up with the most hurtful rebuttal imaginable, "Like how Auto found it necessary to leave you to the Spider!?" All anger drained from Flashes face in an instant and instead filled with sorrow, and deep in his eyes... she saw fear. Pure, raw, un-tempered fear.

"You're right." He turned back around and hid in his hat. Looking down he noticed something. "I neemaobblr..." He mumbled.

"What?" Rogue asked, extremely worried for the normally cheery Flash.

He looked up to her as a child to a mother, asking for their security blanket, "I need a cobbler." He begged.

"Where is the nearest town, Twilight?" Rogue asked.

"According to the map it's called "Marenville" why?" She asked.

"Let's hope they have what we need."

***

"YES THE BOOTS HAVE TO BE NEON GREEN! Fireproof is optional, BUT THEY MUST BE NEON GREEN!" Flash told the cobbler for the fifth time.

"But that's so out of style... so out, I don't think it's ever been in to tell the truth." The cobbler Tapadillo, complained.

"Please... I NEED them. I don't care what's in style or not. Just... please."

"Alright, I'll have to make them from scratch, It'll take two days."

Twilight turned to Rogue, "We don't have two days!"

"I got this!" Spike quipped cheerily. "Excuse me, but do you have a bottle we can borrow?"

"Um... sure? Here you go." She handed him and old gray empty bottle with a cork.

Spike spat fire into the bottle and sealed it. "When those boots are done open the bottle pointed at them! We'll get them, and pay in advance..." He looked at the surprised expressions around him and responded, "What? You guys really have to get used to the fact I'm a dragon who can send small inanimate objects through space with my fire breath."

Twilight shook her head and sighed, "But Spike, you've only ever sent letters before!"

"Fine, we can test it out!" He looked around a found a pair-pair of dirty boots with holes in them, waiting for the cobbler to mend them. He opened the bottle which released the magical fire unto the shoes, which disappeared. Then Spike belched and low and behold, four clean holey boots fell to the ground at his feet. "Huh, I guess it cleans them... Well, we learn something new every day don't we?" He refilled the bottle and they returned to the path towards the base.

***

Auto looked at those around him, soon they would be divided, each group going to separate fortresses. The six groups were as follows, Alpha squad, designation name "Defense" consisted of Flash, Twilight Sparkle, and Rogue. They were going a different way and were already split from the party. Bronco squad's name was "Magic" and it consisted of Himself, Wildpaw, and Snow. They needed the top operatives and Snow could get them in smoothly. Colt squad's name was "Loyalty" It contained Rainbowdash and James. Delta squad was called "Laughter" It held Pinkamena Diane Pie as well as Shadowfax. Echo was named "Honesty" and it consisted of Applejack and Fluttershy, they were the closest to the border so help could be sent if either Fluttershy got too intimidated and revealed herself or if Applejack couldn't keep a secret. The Final group was squad Foaltrot, It would be the furthest in and thusly was given over to Anti-Freeze and Rarity, it's designation, "Generosity." Each group had the bearer of the Element it was meant to capture, except "Magic" as Twilight could not even get close to the capital and "Defense" as they weren't after an element. As he gazed he wondered, What if one should fail? What then? Even one missing Element completely negated their powers. Are we doing the right thing? What alternatives are there? He knew not one.

***

Twilight, Spike, Rogue and Flash arrived at the forward garrison, here the Windigos had begun their icy attacks. The ground was slick with ice and ahead they heard the howling gale while feeling the biting wind. That was not all they heard, but also, fighting. "We need to hurry!" Twilight yelled over the wind at them.

"You two fly there now! Take Spikey! They need your help right now! I'll make it on hoof!" Flash told them, "Go! Your magic and bow can turn the tide of a battle! If you wait for me or carry me, you may be too slow! I'll start countering the Windigos from here! Now go!" When it looked like Rogue and Twilight were going to disagree, he yelled louder, "I'll be safe, but every second you delay our armies are dying! GO!" Rogue nodded at Twilight and off they flew with Spike, now Flash was once more, truly alone. Or so he thought...

***

Twilight had never actually fought another pony before, sure she had read several books on the subject, from self defense help guides, to Sun Tshooves "Art of Combat on a Mass Scale". But nothing prepared her for this, she thought she was prepared for any test, but no, she was not prepared for this. The Equestrian military was better trained but at a huge disadvantage due to the ice, where as the Freezers grew up and lived on it their whole lives. Blood slickened the already slick ice. A pony would fall and in only a matter of seconds be coated in a frozen tomb. Twilight blasted with her weapon of choice, consciousness nullification ray, she had made a few alterations to the spell so now it would be more aptly named the Life nullification ray, but as the now red rays blasted from her horn and the screams of both joy from the Equestrian armies at seeing two Princesses join them in battle and of terror from the Freezers who saw the tide turn on them. Slowly even the weather turned on them as the ice melted, the gales ceased, and the clouds evaporated. Twilight looked back and saw a red glow from behind the hill and knew that Flash was playing his part well. "Push them back! Get them off the walls!" As the ice ramps leading up to the walls began to melt and their reinforcements were cut off, the Freezers began leaping off the walls to retreat. Hoping the ice would still hold their weight and hadn't melted too far down. Twilight turned and saw Rogue in action. Here hooves were a blur as she used both magic and her hooves to pull out and shoot arrows at incredible speeds each striking with deadly accuracy... It was terrifying. Twilight used her magic to replicate one of her brother's spells. It created a wall that blocked enemy arrows but not her allies. The Freezers were in full rout and the battle was won.

Rogue landed on the rampart and called out, "We need to find all of those who are wounded and get them to medical care as soon as possible!"

A resounding "Yes My lady!" Followed from the soldiers as they scrambled about the battlefield hoping against hope all their friends had survived.

***

Several hours later Rogue and Twilight stood next to each other doing their best to help their patients. "Stay with me sergeant Meadowlark!" Rogue screamed as she pressed a bandage into the wound on the frail pegasus. "Meadowlark! Stay awake!" The blood welled up as Meadowlark lost consciousness. "No! You stay with me!" The bleeding stopped. Rogue listened for a heartbeat. Bump... Bump... Bump... She was still alive!

Twilight looked at her own patient, a unicorn that as of yet had no identification. The wounds were fatal and his heartbeat had just faded away. "He didn't make it..." A thought bashed its way into her head as a chilly breeze streamed in, "He didn't make it! Have you seen Flash yet?"

"No, I haven't... He probably is helping with other patients..." Rogue sighed. She looked around, "Looks like we are out of patients... I'm sure more will be brought in soon... Let's take this opportunity to rest." She laid back on an empty cot and closed her eyes. Not sleeping but simply seeking respite from the horrors she had seen that day. It was short lived though as at that moment two ponies bearing a stretcher bursted in, followed by a Stallion covered in bandages.

"We have another wounded!" He yelled. "I seek audience with one of the Alicorns. I am the commanding officer here!"

"Twi, you talk to him, I'm no good with ponies... I'll handle the wounded one." Rogue beseeched the Princess.

"All right, Hello! I'm Princess Twilight Sparkle, I've been sent by Princess Luna with two others to aid in your defense." She curtsied.

"Well excuse me, Princess!" He sarcastically grimaced when one of his bandages tightened. "But as long as I am here I expect my orders to be followed! I will not bow down to some random Pony Princess who's playing at War Commander! I'm here to keep my troops safe and if for even a second I see you trying to disobey my orders and thusly risk the lives of your fellows, I will have you court marshaled! DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR!?" He screamed.

"Crystal Sir, I only seek to aid you." The more than slightly intimidated Twilight squeaked.

"You will start by telling me all the assets in our arsenal! The Elements, The Staff of Starswirl, anything! You also said there were two others. I need to know all personnel in this fight so I can identify spies... Well? Give me answers!" He roared.

"We have no objects of power with us! Once they are located and recovered they will be brought for our defense, but as of yet, we have access to none. The two that came with me are named Rogue, and Flashburn. Rogue is over there with the patient, Flashburn was the one that pushed back the storm. I have yet to see him since the battle..." Twilight answered, slightly more confident.

"I need a description so we can send out a search party to check the field, the morgue, and the infirmary. If he was uninjured, he'd have been detained by now and I haven't heard anything." The Commanding Officer answered slightly saddened.

"He is a purple Unicorn stallion, a bit darker in color than me, with a brown mane. His cutiemark looks like two fiery lightning bolts that form a "V", and he wears a neon green cloak and a blue stereotypical sorcerer's hat. Also, he is wearing three boots of the same color of the cloak. He... is slightly off... peculiar one might say. Discord sent him into this time period from over a thousand years in the past. He is incredibly powerful and should be treated with respect. If he snaps... I don't know what will happen."

"So let me get this straight... We are have a barely sane time traveling mage who controls immense power that could do incredible, unfathomable damage... and we lost him!?" The Commander was furious. "Now he is a threat! What might set him off? What makes him... Emotional?"

"I have observed that after he was forced to abandon his people... He fears abandonment more than anything else in the world... even death." Twilight murmured.

"Oh that's just great! The one thing that makes the Psycho more emotional is abandonment and YOU LOST HIM!? FROM HIS POINT OF VIEW HE MUST'VE BEEN ABANDONED!" He took a moment to collect himself. "You are tired..." He sighed, clearly exhausted from his wounds and situation. "Once you are done here go to the keep, I'll have a room prepared. Sleep and in the morning we will strategize. If you need me sooner, then ask for Commander... You know what? Just ask for the Commander. Soldiers die so often I'd hate for you to get attached to a name." And he left, without a word.

"Rogue," Twilight began to cry, "We have to find him."

***

Flashburn whistled to himself as he started his fire. A sad tune from back home, in his own time. The fire started he began to pitch his tent. He thought about all that had happened... He and the Princesses had gone in to save the defense and the rest of his friends journeyed North to spy on the Freezers... Yet, the battle was lost! The Keep fell, his friends got captured! Now he had only one goal. Travel north and save his friends. He turned and smiled and the battered and bruised, yet alive form of his friend who told him his new orders. "Come on, it's almost time for breakfast! You gotta wake up, Cap! Now do want extra oats in your pancake?"

The captain slowly got up and smiled back at Flash with a few broken teeth. "Sssure..."

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading! Hey, commenting and or critiquing is nice, and your nice, therefore....