• Published 8th Jul 2014
  • 551 Views, 2 Comments

Frozen Equestria - Flashburn37



Nightmare Moon worshipers in the frozen north have a new leader, a natural born alicorn that has declared war on Equestria! But Twilight and her friends are missing! Celestia sends out a brave warrior in search of new talent but will it be enough?

  • ...
0
 2
 551

Chapter 13: The day of the Red Sun

Chapter 13: Day of the Red Sun

Whereas two young lovers would definitely bolster their power, Chrysalis knew that it was necessary to remain at the castle to keep a watch on the pesky ponies in the dungeon below. It had been awhile since she had checked on them herself... perhaps it was time to pay a visit? She decided to do so immediately and slowly floated down the halls of her dilapidated keep. Once this kingdom had been full of love... She smiled when she thought back to how it had fallen. She had been there all those years ago leading the charge. There were almost no escapes. It had gone just perfect.

***

She had risen early that dawn and her troops readied themselves. This was back in her prime, back when the Changeling Empire was strong! They did not need to sneak around and slowly drain energy from love, the merely conquered a place, sucked it dry, and left. She had been so confident that day. They charged. A young officer of that military had been there, a young colt named Sombra. He watched as the banners burned and he fled when they came through the windows of the keep. Chrysalis made the king of the castle kneel as his essence was drained. It was there they hibernated. Years later they awoke and heard of a new empire ripe for the conquering! It was famed for a special statue that grew in power the more love there was around it, much like a Changeling. She would have this, Crystal Heart and with it she would dominate all of the world! Her Changelings rose and flew as a swarm North to the Crystal Empire! Chrysalis led the charge and looked into the eyes of her foe's commander. It was none other than the young colt whom escaped! Not as young now though... The battle was fierce but slowly the Changelings began to win as they grew ever stronger in the presence of all the love and the Crystal ponies grew only weaker. In all the fighting Sombra and Chrysalis met, she in the air, him atop a tower in his castle. "Prepare to lose your home a second time, Sombra!" She taunted him.

"Never!" He fought back as he launched a black crystal at her. She flew about and shot a laser back striking him upon the horn, curving it and turning it red.

"After this empire falls so will the rest of the world! Hahahahaha!" She screeched.

"Victory at any cost... lest the rest of the world fall to your madness..." He hissed through clenched teeth and pain. He jumped inside again and she followed.

"Running again, eh Sombra? Come back and watch your people kneel before us." She rounded a corner and saw it, the Crystal Heart. "It is more beautiful than I ever imagined." She smiled. It radiated power.

"VICTORY AT ANY COST!" Sombra screeched as he reappeared a strange amulet about his neck. He blasted the Heart with a dark red beam and it shifted, the very castle changed. Everywhere went dark. Spikes of black crystals burst from the ground all over the Empire. "YOU! WILL NOT! FEED! HERE!!!!" A dark light blasted forth from the crystal and everywhere it touched disappeared as all the love was drained from the dying nation. Chrysalis blacked out. When she woke up, she felt so weak and could hardly stand. She looked around, snow was beginning to coat the now gray ground. Everywhere she looked the city was gone. Not a Crystal Pony could be seen in any direction and the land was left dark and loveless.

"Victory at any cost..." She cried.

***

That day was the reason her people have fallen so far and it would not happen again! Equestria will fall. Even if it means the destruction of the last beacon of love in this world. "Victory at any cost." She whispered to herself. She slinked down the staircase that led to the prison. She saw the guard sleeping by the door. "You nitwit..." She chuckled, "I know my child, I know, with all the shortage of love you are just so tired. I'll let you sleep. I'll take this watch." She smiled and walked past the slumped figure and into the prison. Funny, I thought I had more guards stationed here... Did I send the wrong Changelings to abduct the lovers? She was beginning to get nervous now! She heard voices ahead.

"Hurry we don't know how much time we have!" A voice that was not a changelings whispered hastily.

***

"Come on... come on..." Auto mumbled to himself as Flashburn and Anti-Freeze slinked stealthily through the courtyard. They reached the relative safety provided by the shadow of a building. Their dark cloaks causing them to fade into the darkness around them. "We are almost in the castle... Remember, if we are discovered we have all that city to get through before we can even try to escape into the jungle. Even though Rogue and the others are preparing us a little escape route we have to be able to reach it."

"Yes Captain." Flash nodded.

"Understood." Anti whispered.

"Yes Captain Auto, after all, what is my motto?" The Zebra that Zecora sent said.

"Stealth is the key if you don't want to pay the fee. Now, this way. Follow close." Auto slipped through the gate. They were immediately awed by the spectacle before them. The castle itself seemed to be ancient, even older than the one in Cantorlot, and the courtyard was filled with statues. No two statue were the same or even similar. They were abstract and beautiful beyond description. Only the mind of a creature as formless as a Changeling could have not only thought of such a thing but also carve one into existence. They provided excellent cover but were unsettling and downright creepy.

"These are so beautiful... Look at that one." Flash pointed at an odd one that was smooth and flowed over what appeared to be a writhing snake. "Have you ever seen the flood of The Changeling City of Serpents during the second great conflict depicted in such a way?"

"That's what that is? I just thought it was water cleansing the world of poisonous lies..." Anti mumbled.

"It is up to interpretation of cou-"

"Shouldn't we be more focused on the dangerous rescue mission?" Auto warned them.

"Sorry Cap..." Flash blushed. The sneaked into the interior of the keep and it was even more incredible than the outside. The halls walls were all rounded and seemed more tunnels. Many hallways began several feet from the floor, like a great beehive or ant hill. "Which way is it Cap?"

"If I remember correctly from the briefs Celestia had me look at... It should be that way." Anti-Freeze pointed down a dark corridor. They went down the tunnel slowly, painfully aware of every creak and slight noise created by their passage. The slunk slowly through the darkness barely avoiding patrols until, according to Anti-Freeze the prison was behind one door before stood a single Changeling guard that stood at attention.

"Take him out, quietly." The Captain ordered. The Zebra pulled out a dart gun and stung the Changeling in the foreleg. It straightened up immediately, gasped, looked down then up and crumpled to the ground. "Good job Zeke." He only nodded in return. They dashed into the room after moving the body so it seemed asleep. Locked doors with bars in the windows lined the hallway and they checked all of them until one near the end had the ponies they were looking for in it.

***

"Hmm... that's odd... Usually something happens when I get my Pinkie sense... Unless... HAS IT ALREADY HAPPENED?" Pinkie guffawed.

"I don't think that's very logical Pinkie, maybe it just hasn't happened yet?" Twilight offered.

"Maaaaaaaaaybe... Wait... do any of you here that?" Pinkie sighed. "It's that kind of soundy sound... that sounds... soundy..."

"That doesn't sound like any of the guards. Maybe the queen is visiting?" Applejack questioned.

"Or it might be rescue! Finally..." Rainbowdash muttered.

They heard a voice from outside say, "They aren't in this one." To which another replied, "There aren't many left to check." A few seconds later a head poked through the bars in the prison and said, "Auto! I found them! Oh... why hello ladies." The unicorn smiled, "Have no fear rescue is here!" But, um, you may want to stand back from the door..."

"Thank Celestia your here!" Fluttershy whispered gratefully. "EEP!" She "screamed" as the door flew from its hinges trailing fire. Two ponies followed it into the room, a pegasus and a zebra.

"Hello, I am Captain Auto Tomaton of the Royal Guard and I have been sent to rescue you. Now please follow us and hurry we do not know how much time we have!" He helped them up and they ran out of the room. "Follow me." He whispered.

"Halt, right where you are." A calm voice echoed from the hallway.

***

"They have entered the Changeling Fortress my liege." Data Core informed Celestia. "According to the Satellite camera they haven't exited yet but we are currently watching a disturbance unfold. There seems to have been an explosion in the side of the building... I see figures fleeing the scene! Blast! Smoke got in the way!"

"Thank you for aiding me thus far, If it clears up please inform me immediately."

"Yes Princess."

***

"Pony...feathers..." A strange unicorn mumbled. "Hey Auto... since we've been found... Can I put them back on now?"

"Really? Really Flash? That's what your concerned about right now? Fine." The Queen of the Changelings just stared at them.

"Sweet! Thanks Auto! Oh um... Chrissy, will you please not attack until I have my stuff on? It isn't armor and it won't boost my magic at all... Please?" He smiled at her with a huge grin.

"I don't see why not." She said in a steady voice. Every single pony in that room, as well as every Changeling, turned and stared directly at her as if to say, "Wait what?" She noticed the stares and replied with, "What? It's good sportsmanship. Rrestathith serv tirithe." She ended in the Changeling language.

"Gee thanks!" Flash pulled a bag from under his cloak and dumped out several strange articles of clothing. There was a folded neon green cloak, and three bright green boots. "I love my boots. I wish we still had them all..." He hummed a tune as he quickly used magic to dress himself. "All right, I'm ready."

"Wait! Before we begin," Auto turned to Flash, "Did you just get away with calling Queen Chrysalis of the Changeling Empire, Chrissy?" He guffawed.

"Well, I can answer that one," Chrysalis interrupted, "No he didn't after all, I am still going to capture you." She smiled evilly.

"Oh, I wouldn't say that, Flash NOW!" Anti-Freeze shouted.

"Yes'm!" Flash spun about and blew the wall asunder. "Wow that really takes it out of you..." All the ponies galloped for the forest.

As soon as they were outside Twilight Sparkle called, "Everypony to me!" They all ran to her and in a flash of light were at the boundary of the city.

"The great Twilight Sparkle at work... I've always wanted to meet you! I'm Flashburn! My talent is fire magic! But I have difficulty controlling it..."

"Now isn't the time Flash we have to get to the extraction point!" Auto scolded him.

"Sorry!"

***

*cough* "Go my Changelings! Follow them! Resoveith!" The Queen yelled.

"Hzzeth!" The changelings called as they flew into the smoke. They heard a sound that sounded like a strange Vwoop! and their prey was no longer in sight. "Chctacheth!" One hissed back to Chrysalis.

"Search the forest my pets, go! Now! Resoveith!" She was furious and flew high into the air. "Zeith nuklketh sasivth! Hesinthu NulTekath! Resoveith!" And in response the castle erupted into activity as the changelings flowed from every crack in the wall. "Let this be a message to you ponies! You will be found, and when you are, your prison will not be nearly as comfortable! Nor will I be as forgiving!"

***

"... Nor will I be as forgiving!" echoed through the forest as they galloped through it.

"I think she is mad Auto!" Flashburn called to their leader as he pushed aside the brush.

"I would have to agree with you on that one Flash. She won't let us escape cleanly. Our previous plan will modification. We need a distraction!" Auto told Flash. "But what can we do?"

"I have an idea. I assume they like their castle home? I think it is time to "redecorate" a bit." Flash grinned evilly.

"Can you pull it off and escape with us still?" He asked.

"I can give you five minutes, after that they will divide and most will continue to chase you. It's the best I can do."

"Can you make it back?"

Flash turned to Twilight and called out, "Hey Princess Sparkle? Can you teleport me back into the Castle? Alone? Hurry he haven't any time!"

"Of course!" Twilight said, flustered by the sudden request. He then disappeared in a purple nexus of power.

"No. We have to go back!" Auto ordered.

Anti grabbed his arm. "No. We go back now and none of us make it. This is what he wanted."

"Not this time. Anti-Freeze take them to safety, I have to try. I won't leave him to the beast once again. Go! GO!" Auto shoved her forward. "You go for Equestria, I'll go for friendship." He drew his mace and flew back as a wave of heat shot from the castle.

***

"Princess Celestia we have sight once again! The Changelings are in an uproar over their castle! It is in flames! I thought I saw a strangely dressed pony get teleported back in and then fire spread everywhere." Data Core informed her.

"I know that pony... That's one of Auto's misfits... Flashburn... What is happening to him?" Celestia asked.

"Well it is difficult to say... It would seem that he set fire to the castle as a distraction and like cotton it did! The smoke is going to cover it soon though. I'm trying to see through the gaps but it is difficult... He is cornered! Wow he fights well when backed into a corner! This is incredible! He's blasting them back! They keep coming at him in huge waves only to be battered back! Oh no... He's getting tired! They've snuck up behind him! He's been pinned! Blast! The smoke got in the way!" Data Core narrated.

"He did that... He would allow all the love to be drained from him just to buy Twilight and her friends just a little longer to escape. There is honor in that. Curse War! If I weren't needed here I would go and rescue him myself!" Celestia grumbled.

"Dearest Sister, there is nothing we can do. I will try to visit his dreams to help him through his experience whenever I can." Luna consoled her sister.

"Thank you, Sister."

"Princess! We have more movement! A pegasus with mace and shield is flying back to the castle!"

"What is Auto doing? He cannot hope to escape! It was a shame to lose Flash but now Auto as well? There must be something we can do!" Celestia panicked.

"There is one thing..." Data Core began.

"Shhh! It's not ready!" Powerhacks interrupted.

"No please tell us it may just end up saving them from months torture, if there is even the slightest hope you must tell me of it!" Celestia commanded.

"Well, it, uh, is a new use for the signaling technology we have invented..." Data Core began.

"It's absolute manure is what it is." Powerhacks interjected.

"Some of its developers don't believe it can do what I think it can."

"Which is?" Luna questioned.

"Well, I thought if you can transmit pictures and sounds... why not spells? We could aid them from here by slowing their pursuers!"

"No pony has the power to actually counterbalance the distance though! It's futile at best!"

"I can." Luna whispered.

"How?" Celestia asked.

"Celestia, you must remain strong. I travel through dreams all the time all across Equestria, I'm used to distance. Using the Alicorn Amulet I could utilize this technology..." Luna stated.

"Luna, you know what that amulet does. It would twist and corrupt you until you are no longer yourself." Celestia warned.

"I know the consequences I have felt such a transformation before... You must remain strong. I can use the amulet and keep my head if you drain my powers as soon as I finish and then, you can force me to remove the amulet. And if all else fails, I'm sure the home I made for myself up there is still as lovely as before..."

"No. I can't do that to you, not again. You know that it would last another thousand years!"

"Only if my will is beaten and you can't convince me to relinquish the amulet when the time comes. Besides, Think of what would happen to them? I would rather spend a hundred years on the moon then live without the feeling of love or friendship for even a few months... I am sure of my decision." Luna explained with stalwart determination. "Besides I'll be safer on the moon then down here if the war is lost, you know this."

"Guard! Bring me the amulet from the vault." Celestia ordered. "I will not stop you, Sister. I owe you that much."

"You owe me nothing and never will, dear sister."

***

Captain Auto Tomaton barreled through a window sending shards of glass scattering about the burning building. He spun about looking and then he saw the changelings had surrounded Flash and even though he was keeping those in front at bay the ones behind were able to advance close enough to drain power from him before he was able to blast them back. Auto charged the changelings where their numbers were thinnest, the element of surprise allowed him to dispatch most with haste. "Flash! Follow me! We will not be captured today!" Flash looked dumbfounded but still followed Auto through the breach in the changelings lines. They ducked through passages and flew over obstacles as the Changelings slowly gained on them.

"This is hopeless Cap, you should've ran with the rest of them!" Flash yelled.

"I couldn't leave you again!" Auto snapped back. "Look a window! Maybe we can get out finally!"

"Worth a shot!" Flash blasted it away then leaped through the newly made exit. Only to land at Queen Chrysalis's feet.

***

"The Amulet as you requested." Nameless Unless Fan Named Multi-racial Guard Number Five bowed, placing a large locked box at their feet and left.

"Are you sure you must do this?" Celestia asked.

"Think of all they have done for us and you have your answer." Luna reassured her.

Celestia understood there was no stopping her and despite the risk it was the right thing to do, if not the smart thing. She just couldn't bear the thought of Luna being banished once more. Or the rise of the Nightmare.

***

"Fools! Did you really think you could escape?" Chrysalis laughed. "Now we shall feast on your love and friendship!"

"Fine with me Chrissy after all, the wielders of the Elements have escaped!" Flashburn spat back at her as a Changeling began to bind him.

"Did they now?" Chrysalis grinned. "We are the CHANGELING Empire! Do you really think I'd be so foolish as to keep them in that room? With windows and right next to the outside? No, they are in the tower, where you will be joining them very soon, but not until after we place some clones of you in another easily seen cell. Hahahahaha!" The Queen laughed evilly. As she laughed the world seemed to darken and the very light around them seemed to take on a reddish hue.

"The theatricality is a little high, don't you think?" Flash whispered to Auto.

"I don't think she's doing it... Even she seems confused..." Auto whispered back.

Suddenly their binds turned to ash and all of the changelings were blasted back into the stone walls of the castle. "What's going on, Auto?" Flash screamed.

"I don't know but we need to take advantage! To the tower!" Auto commanded as he scooped up Flash and flew high up towards the tower.

"Sweet Celestia, the Sun!? It's RED!" Flash panicked. The earth began to shake as beams of light began to dot the landscape and the castle began to fall. Flash turned and blasted a hole into the wall of the tower. Inside they saw a very sleepy looking Cyan colored pegasus with a rainbow mane. "We need to run! Grab your friends and follow us!"

***

"No! NO! NO! What is going on!?" Chrysalis fumed. "Hurry the real ones are escaping! You idiots! Fly!" She rose on her wings and flew as fast as she could toward the ones who ruined everything, but before she could reach them a beam of reddish light struck her square on the back and pushed her through a window into the burning castle. She groaned as she stood, "You are on your own now, Evendra. Stand down Changelings! Put out these fires! TASEITH!"

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading! Hey, you see that thing down there called the comments section? Use it please! :D