• Published 22nd Jun 2014
  • 1,078 Views, 11 Comments

A Perfectly Good Night's Rest - Derpator



The Elements of Harmony have gone through many adventures, saving Equestria a great number of times. Together, they can accomplish many tasks placed ahead of them. That is, except for their newest idea. Sharing a bed together.

  • ...
2
 11
 1,078

Snuggles are Magic

A creak. A murmur. The shifting of a body.

And, of course, some light snoring.

Only minor hiccups in their peaceful slumber. Sometimes, one of the bodies would shift a little, or maybe a cute ear flick happened. One of them might mumble something in their sleep, tightening their grip around one of their bed mates.

It was probably the best idea they’d ever come up with. Who knew sharing a bed between six could be so comfortable? It was a change from all their other activities—the fate of Equestria hanging on the balance wasn't a burden, for starters. No, just a little snuggly bed. Nopony complained about the idea.

They had to buy a huge bed to accommodate all of them, but it was worth it in their eyes. Never had they experienced such warmth as they had before. Some of them felt rather squidgy to mash their bodies up against one another, perfect for cuddling.

However, not was all going well. At least, not consciously. A certain pegasus decided to sprawl out her full weight, half of her body resting entirely on Rarity. She was a bit of a snorer, and she even dribbled. For all of them, it was their first night of spending it in a bed together, and if Rainbow Dash kept up her invasive and unclean actions, it could potentially also be their last.

Rarity could hear the snoring from Rainbow Dash even in her sleep. It started off slow, but it built up to her, eventually calling her back to the land of the awake, much the living. Her eyes hesitated to open, wanting her, calling her to fall back to sleep. She faced downwards, half of Rainbow Dash piled on top of her, not caring at all. She wouldn’t mind it, if only she was a bit quieter, though she didn’t have a way around that.

But really, the slightest stimulus could set off the entire group, all of them rising up like an alarm had gone off, blaring them all awake to attention.

For this particular instance, it was Rainbow Dash. She was unaware, while Rarity was, that drool hung from her open mouth. Rarity wouldn’t take any issue with it; all ponies are free to sleep how they like.

But when said drool decides to fall out of that hanging jaw and land onto Rarity’s clean and polished coat, slobbering it unintentionally, then that would set off Rarity’s own personal alarm.

Her eyes snapped to as more of her coat started to get ruined right in front of her. Her lips quivered as another drop landed on her, just about to lose it. Not taking anypony else into account, she screamed as hard as her lungs could carry her, flailing her hooves as she sat up, nudging Rainbow Dash awake in the process.

Rainbow Dash shot up to attention from the scream, slurping up her drool, her entire body shifting around before taking to the air. Applejack, on the other side of Rarity, had heard the extremely early call, instinctively taking the noise as an attack, swinging her hind legs backwards as a reflex, hitting the already hastily wakened Twilight and knocking her out of the bed with a thud, the biggest surprise she'd ever received.

Fluttershy had heard the screaming, leaping out of the bed and hiding her entire body underneath it right away, her tail sticking out of the side, while Pinkie Pie, who previously had her hooves coiled around the shy pegasus, only mumbled more, apparently still asleep.

Twilight screamed and groaned out loud when she crashed onto the floor, already rubbing her temple and sore spot from the sudden bucking.

“What!? What is it!?” Rainbow Dash yelled out, darting her eyes around for an intruder, spotting the chaos below.

“Yeah?” Applejack added, yawning, “What’s the matter?” She fumbled around a bit, pursing her lips, realising that there wasn’t a pony behind her. She turned around, only to spot Twilight flat on the ground. “Twi? You ok?”

“...Yeah,” the unicorn numbly replied, still in a little pain, “Just... don’t kick me again.”

“I kicked you?” Applejack asked, her pupils growing from the implications, already feeling bad, “Oh my, so sorry.”

“...It’s ok,” Twilight responded, dragging herself up from the ground, ready to slip onto the edge again. “What’s going on anyway?” she asked half-heartedly, extremely tired, looking towards the source of the initial screaming.

Nopony had paid any attention to Rarity, who was looking down at her own coat with mild disgust. Unsure of her own actions, she gently prodded her hoof along her skin, coming into contact with what had woken her up in the first place. She lifted it away, only for there to be a long slime trail lingering between her hoof and her coat. She screamed again, now fully getting the attention of all the ponies, minus Fluttershy, who only buried herself underneath the bed more, and Pinkie Pie, whose ears only flopped.

“Sweet Celestia, what is it already!?” Rainbow Dash shouted, covering her ears from the loud pitched noise, before lowering herself towards Rarity, Applejack and Twilight also looking over.

“No!” the unicorn blurted out at Rainbow Dash, sliding back a bit, “Don’t you get near me with that... that...” She looked at her hoof again, the drool hanging on it. “Ugh.”

“Rarity, what’s gotten into you?” the cowpony asked, getting a little irritated, but still concerned.

“Just look at this,” Rarity whined, showing off the drool on her, then pointing at Rainbow Dash, extremely annoyed. “How dare you cover me with your... your mess!”

Rainbow Dash remained in the air, a bit confused at the outburst, as well as the presence of drool, “What? What’d I do?”

Rarity scoffed, still a bit afraid to look at the mess. “Don’t you play coy with me! You’ve ruined my beautiful coat!” She analysed the ‘damage’ once more, still disappointed with the end result, whining again.

“What’d she do?” Applejack asked, getting closer towards Rarity, who backed away from the cowpony, bumping into Pinkie Pie in the process. Pinkie Pie didn’t seem to react, other than her sleepy body shifting a little.

“No! Stay away from me!” Rarity scowled, trying to back up even more.

“Rarity, just what is the matter?” Twilight asked, half tired, half annoyed.

“Rainbow Dash smothered her disgusting spit all over me!” she replied, still panicking, looking back at her ruined hoof, “Now I have to go clean this up.”

Rainbow Dash and Applejack smacked their heads with their hooves, groaning in discontent, while Twilight rolled her eyes. “Can’t we just go back to sleep?” Applejack wondered, wanting to surrender her body underneath the covers once more, not really caring about the slobbering mess.

“I second that,” Rainbow Dash added, raising her hoof.

“Absolutely not!” Rarity backfired, giving the pegasus a dirty look, “Not until I clean this up!”

As another wave of groans passed, Rarity gave them an unhealthy look, before carefully twisting her body around, trying not to smother the spit all over the quilt. She gently tapped Pinkie Pie’s body with her ‘good’ hoof, increasing it to a full shuffle when the pink pony didn’t react. “Pinkie,” she flatly said, trying to get her attention.

“Mmm... vanilla frosting,” Pinkie mumbled, not budging an inch, instead curling up tighter.

Rarity grunted a little, starting to get frustrated. She nudged the mare again, hoping for another reaction.

“Don’t you think you should leave her alone?” Rainbow Dash asked, folding her hooves, wishing she was in Pinkie Pie’s current situation. Sleeping, that’s what she wanted to be doing right now.

“I ain’t budging,” Applejack stated clearly, giving the white unicorn a certain look that showed she meant it.

Rarity gritted her teeth a bit, accidently knocking Pinkie Pie too hard. With her hoof, she pushed the pony over, rolling her over onto her front. Her ears flapped a bit, her eyes eventually starting to open.

Pinkie Pie groggily lifted her head up, previously fully planted on top of a pillow. She tentatively turned to the side, eyes still sleepy. Upon seeing the other bed mates awake, the smile emerged. “What time is it?” she quietly asked with a dull tone, resting her head back on the pillow again.

“Hello... Pinkie,” Rarity nervously said, not wanting to reveal she had woken her up, “Could I possibly get past you?”

Pinkie Pie blinked her hazy eyes, loudly yawning, her mouth fully opening. She puckered her lips a few times, before moving her body away from the unicorn. “Sure.” She climbed out of bed, still half-asleep, anxiously waiting for Rarity to scooch out of the bed.

Pinkie Pie’s smile wasn’t huge, but still attainable. She watched Rarity leave the bed, hurriedly making her way towards a bathroom in a panic still with half lidded eyes. She looked back towards the bed, before noticing something, or rather somepony, was missing.

Surveying the room, Pinkie Pie soon found the answer to her own question, a pink tail peeking out underneath of the bed. Bringing herself lower, she poked the stationary yellow body the tail was connected to.

“Eep!” a voice crept from underneath the bed.

“What was that?” Rainbow Dash asked, already on high alert, Applejack also feeling the same, while Twilight just wanted to fall back asleep. She forced herself to prepare thoroughly, a bit frisky about the upcoming encounter, but checked it out anyway. She was met with another squeal as Fluttershy hid herself from the simplest of eye contact.

“It’s Fluttershy,” Twilight said unenergetically, her eyelids inadvertently lowering themselves, yawning again.

Pinkie Pie prodded at the yellow rump again. “What are you doing down there silly filly?” She took the tail in her mouth, before pulling, dragging Fluttershy from the nether realms of the bed. Her coiled up posture showed off how frightened she was.

“I... heard a shout,” Fluttershy said, whimpering in what she could make as a ball formation.

“That was Rarity,” Applejack sternly stated, making herself comfortable in the sheets, “Just come back to bed.”

“Yeah, “Pinkie Pie agreed, retaking her place underneath the quilt, patting the spot next to her, “Come on Fluttershy.”

“Ok...” Fluttershy quietly said, slowly inching her way onto the edge of the bed.

Pinkie Pie wrapped her hooves around Fluttershy straight away, the pegasus squealing from the contact, but finding it warm and inviting. “Let Auntie Pinkie Pie take care of you,” she heard Pinkie Pie calmly say, her back being carefully stroked by the pink hooves. It was comforting, easily passing off as a lullaby, telling her to go to sleep.

Applejack noticed Twilight pawing at the ground with her hoof, biting her lower lip, having spotted the cute snuggling action. “Twi?”

“Oh,” the unicorn said, snapping to attention, “I uh... nothing...”

Applejack sighed. “You want to cuddle again, don't you?”

Twilight sheepishly nodded her head, a small blush coming over her. “Come on then.”

Twilight wanted to jump for joy when Applejack openly invited her to join her, the hooves welcoming her once she re-entered the bed. She found herself wrapped in the cowpony’s hooves, the bliss coming to her, every second passing making her drowsier. She wasn’t about to complain anytime soon.

“What about me?” a pegasus whined, the voice whinnying from above.

All four of the bed mares faced Rainbow Dash, but in their half-asleep phases, didn’t want to do or say anything. “What about you?” Applejack uncaringly asked, bringing Twilight in closer, the unicorn sighing deeply from the extra warmth.

Rainbow Dash remained silent for a few seconds, before slowly drooping her descent, sliding herself into the center of the bed. She accordingly pulled the covers over her, making sure not to interrupt the other mares. She had found the perfect spot to fall sleep in, about to close her eyes and drift off to sleep.

Hooves clattered at the entrance of the bedroom, Rarity having come back. Her nose hung high, finally satisfied with her cleaning work. Her coat seemed even shinier than before, the white really standing out, as well as her mane looking more sleek. She giggled when she saw some of the occupied bed mates cranking their view towards her. “I’m done...” she softly sang, trotting her way towards the side of the bed.

She frowned when she found that Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie weren’t active at all, both of them trailed off to the land of dreams. Their chests moved as they gently breathed, neither of them moving an inch. If she were to climb over, there’d be a risk of waking them up. Plus the fact she didn't like climbing over other ponies.

Quietly, she made her way around the bed, heading towards the other side. “What is it now?” Applejack grumpily asked as the unicorn approached her side, a sly grin on her.

“Could you possibly get out so I can squeeze in?” Rarity innocently asked, as if the request itself wasn’t a huge deal.

“No can do,” the cowpony replied, “Twilight’s asleep.”

Rarity inched closer towards the other unicorn, hearing faint sounds of breathing, Twilight indeed having fallen asleep. She rubbed the back of her head, not finding a possible solution to her current predicament. “Well... what do I do then?”

“You’ll just have to climb over,” Applejack said, feeling a bit smug about the idea in by itself. It’ll teach Rarity not to be so immaculate. She could see Rarity fumbling about from the idea, telling herself to do it, and then backing away afterwards. She couldn’t rest anymore; Rarity being too distracting. Her eyebrows quickly lowered, getting irritated. “Oh just climb over already!” she quietly hissed, venom in her voice.

Rarity’s lips wobbled as she took a gulp, lifting her hooves onto the bed. Carefully controlling them, she proceeded to climb over Twilight’s and Applejack’s bodies, Applejack constantly watching her. She made her way past Twilight, treading over Applejack, when she spotted Rainbow Dash spread out in the middle.

Her entire body was sprawled across the center of the bed, wings fully sprouted too. Rarity cringed just looking at the cyan pegasus and her unorthodox ways. She looked at Applejack, who was egging her to just get in already with her head. She let out another symbol of disgust, attempting to nudge Rainbow Dash in order to give her a little space. The pegasus mumbled nonsense in her slumber, her body slowly warping over to the side.

Satisfied that there was enough room, Rarity prepared to snuggle her way in. She got a bit too careless as she dropped in, heavily hitting Twilight’s leg in the process. The unicorn snapped to, snorting as she awoke. “Hmm?” She groaned when she realised the current situation, seeing Rarity mouthing apologies to her. With another groan, she lowered her head back on the pillow, Applejack easing her back into sleep.

Rarity cooed her way underneath the quilt, surrendering herself to the warmth and comfort. A small sigh escaped her as she gently lowered her eyelids. Her vision becoming bare, black, she was blissed, ready to slip away into sleep.

She heard a loud snore come from her right, tapping open her eye just a bit. Rainbow Dash was wriggling around, muttering something incomprehensible, when she moved her entire body around, planting the majority of it onto Rarity, lying completely asleep.

Rarity was going to blow her fuse at Rainbow Dash for the huge invasion of privacy, but upon seeing that Rainbow Dash wasn’t awake, didn’t. Instead, she welcomed the pegasus, wrapping her hooves around her, sharing their warmth for the final snuggle pair.

Rainbow Dash’s muzzle became buried in Rarity’s fur, the contact actually feeling nice from the unicorn’s perspective. Her smile grew as her hooves continued to brush down the cyan coat.

Rainbow Dash mumbled something else, not intelligible to Rarity, but severely exacerbating the situation when her tongue extended out of her mouth, pressing up against Rarity's chest.

Rarity’s eyes shot wide open, looking down right away to see Rainbow Dash giving her luxurious coat a lick, likely unknowing that she was doing it, smothering her glistened coat with another slob over.

Her eyes wavered, her lips quibbling to protest about what had happened. She gently pushed Rainbow Dash away, before feeling the crime scene on her coat, feeling the saliva from Rainbow Dash, the pegasus sprawled out again with her tongue dangling from her mouth.

Rarity felt the uncouth substance, another breaking point, letting out another ear-piercing scream, waking up all of the other mares in the bed.

Author's Note:

Oh you, Rarity.

Comments ( 11 )

That was very funny. Poor Rarity. Still, as a FlutterDash shipper, I would've preferred if Fluttershy was being cuddled by Rainbow Dash instead of Pinkie Pie. Still, I guess Dash had to be the one to drool on Rarity. Incidentally though, I've had thoughts about writing a slumber party tale where Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy ended up in the same situation Applejack and Rarity were in, except they don't complain about it.

4585703

I kept getting tempted at points to turn this into a shipping story, at which point it would have just become either a big open relationship, or a pair the spares story. I think it works better without it, because let's be honest, we all love cuddles. Ever since Sleepless in Ponyville, I've always seen Rainbow Dash as one of those sleepers, so it was a pretty clear choice to use Dash as the catalyst.

I'll agree though. Poor Rarity.

I'd love to see an animation of this, with the Mane Six piles on top of one another.

4585759 I prefer it this way, too--and it fits well with A Persistent Dash.

You get sweaty when you sleep, just wash it off in the morning. Also, are they couples or just using the cuddle buddy system?

5121773
Cuddle buddy system, because cuddles are magic.

Love it. Snuggle pairs - so cute :twilightsmile: (Well written, too! I like your style. Following, and will check out some of your other stories when I get the chance :pinkiehappy:)

6590431
Though I've only read one of your stories, I'm quite honoured. I know of some of your stories and how much of an impact some folk have said about them. It kind of feels like Cloudy Skies suddenly arrived and followed me, to put it another way. I'm glad you enjoyed this; it's probably one of my better fics, or at least one I'm more proud of. It was also written on a bit of a whim, and just devolved as I went along.

I consider myself quite better than how I was back when I wrote this and my other stories, but I haven't released any stories in over a year. I've lost a bit of motivation recently, and have struggled to keep at a single story and actually finish it. That, and I found my prose has turned minimalistic, which I am really hating. And to top it off, I have to devote quite some time to the final year of my studies, and I recently got back into anime, so I'm constantly getting distracted and interested elsewhere. I hope to push something out before Christmas, but I'm not making any promises, and I can't ever say when I'll release anything.

Still, I really appreciate the read and follow. Makes me regret not going to the con in October, because I totally could have met you.

6616964

It kind of feels like Cloudy Skies suddenly arrived and followed me, to put it another way.

Since Cloudy Skies is the most awesome fanfic writer ever, I am extremely honoured by that compliment :heart:

I haven't released any stories in over a year. I've lost a bit of motivation recently, and have struggled to keep at a single story and actually finish it. That, and I found my prose has turned minimalistic, which I am really hating.

I went through exactly the same thing recently - minimalistic prose included (how does that happen? I guess it's just being of practise, but it's still weird to feel like your style has up and vanished) - and I've only just managed to get back into writing regularly. I also haven't released anything substantial for over a year so I definitely know the feeling.

If you're busy with other things (especially studying) then try not to worry about it, and just practise when you can find the motivation - it'll all come back to you eventually :twilightsmile:

It would've been cool to have met you, too. I'm planning to go to next year's Ponycon as well, depending on location. If you get the chance, I can definitely recommend it :pinkiehappy:

I was about to say this ended adorably, then Rarity screamed again.
As is, it's pretty entertaining.

Login or register to comment