• Published 18th Mar 2012
  • 15,493 Views, 1,996 Comments

I Blame You - Whitestrake



The product of my friend and I having a Skype call that went to the subject of 'What if...'

  • ...
66
 1,996
 15,493

PreviousChapters Next
Well, that was... odd

It's white, almost blindingly so. There was no floor, no sky, no discernible horizon of any sort in this infinite, sterile void. But there was anxiety, so deeply driving into the very core of my being, but there was no true cause I can see. It was almost as though something very old was staring down at me, ancient and wise, like it was several times Celestia's age. I started walking forward, or at least what I best determined to be forward at the time, by boots clacked on the nonexistent floor as though it was made of marble. It seemed like an eternity of walking in the endless expanse until I found something in the far distance.

The first glimpse I caught of it left everything to the imagination. From my point of view, it looked almost human, but I could only see its body. As I neared the statue, I began to notice some things that were a bit... off, to say the least. Everything below the neckline had smooth, elegant curves that resembled fiberless muscle as much as body armor, and the entire body was so black it seemed to absorb light from the surrounding void.

Then there was the face. Something was so fundamentally wrong about it, that I felt a creeping fear rising into my heart. There were no eyes, no mouth, and the nose was just a lump on the front of the porcelain countenance. My anxiety turned into an almost blinding ache in my chest as I looked at the flawless, mirror-smooth surface that was the statue's face. From the side, it didn't look so menacing, but there was that ever-present feeling of something ancient looking down at me from on high. Something was definitely getting to me about this damned thing.

Something made abundantly clear when it turned to face me.

$%$%$%$%$%$%

My eyes shot open fast enough for my room's negligible to blind me, which was way to similar to my dream. A nightmare seemed a more appropriate description for that faceless abomination of a statue. Something about it was both terrible and beautiful, a horrifying parody of humanity that permeated its being. Either way, whatever the thing was seemed to be enough to scare me awake, complete with a cold sweat and pounding heart. I was lucky to not have woken Chrysalis or Trixie with all my fidgeting, but the large bed had more than enough wiggle room for the three of us.

I dressed quickly, no sense in trying to get back to sleep after something like that, and made my ay to the dining hall for something to eat. I cast only a glance to the snoozing mares before setting out, hoping Celestia or Luna would be awake enough to provide some sort of hint to my mystery's conclusion. That thing from my nightmare was too perfectly human to be anything but, yet it fit the bill enough to be almost insulting in design.

“Your nose is bleeding.” Twilight's voice made me jump, but only because she was slightly out of my field of vision, hidden by the library's door. Have I mentioned the castle is tough to navigate when you're tired? My hand went to my face, only to come back red. I was indeed bleeding, but not enough to notice the wetness running down my face. “You're up early.”

“Yeah, had the urge to move.” I knew she would be familiar with my meaning, she had plenty of experience dealing with my quirks while I worked under her. Sometimes I would wake up late at night, or early in the morning, and just needed to walk around or something. “You seen either princess yet?”

“Luna is still holding court, and Celestia hasn't woken up yet.” Damn, that meant it was about three in morning, which meant I was sleeping for less than two hours. Funny thing about alicorn sleep patterns, it was tough to gauge when both princesses were awake, given that Celestia didn't get to sleep until well into the night and Luna didn't rise until a little after noon. The fact that they both functioned when receiving less sleep than I did was almost miraculous, but the wonder was significantly lessened by taking their biology into account.

“Well, I guess it's either interrupt the Night Court, or bother Tia in bed.” Twilight only rolled her eyes, knowing fully that I would do what I wished and nothing she could say would sway me. Given my odd predicament with the faceless statue, I could safely say that I may be spending a few sleepless nights in this very library, hammering away at knowledge until something clicked. “Off to the Night Court it is, then.”

$%$%$%$%$%$%

“And you, sir, are an ass.” Jay was being fancy as hell, talking to the blue blood before him. While he was awake at three in the morning, he wasn't tired in the least, having recently discovered Equestria's premiere energy drinks. With that in mind, it was easy to see why he was bitching out Prince Blueblood. It all started when the stallion stepped on the teen's shoes, then refused to apologize.

“You uncouth filth, take that back!” The Aryan stallion was outraged at the ape's reference to him being a donkey, such a dirty creature could never compare to him. While the guards were stiffening in their place as they readied themselves for the spoiled prince to sic them in the human, Taylor made his entrance. The inquisitor took immediate notice of the bickered males, but made a beeline for Princess Luna, who was currently enjoying a bag of popcorn as the show carried on. “You've insulted my honor for the last time!”

“You're implying you had honor to begin with.” All eyes turned to Jay, even his fellow man's, as a pin could have been heard around the castle. Nopony had ever called out Blueblood like that, if only for his authority over the guards. The stallion sputtered for a few seconds, only for a very deep laugh to interrupt him as he got his wits together. The angry pony looked to the source, only to immediately turned away as he saw the larger human mocking him.

“You. Me. Swords at dawn.” The prince tried to sound intimidating, if only to try and bully the smaller male into backing down. For Blueblood, Jay seemed like an easy target, far batter to attack than Taylor. Even if the flautist had done more to save Canterlot than the bigger teenager, there was a certain level of insanity that the tanker just seemed to take to extremes. Both the teen and stallion looked to the incumbent monarch for approval.

“I'll allow it, the zebra ambassadors need plenty of entertainment for tomorrow's negotiations.” Princess Luna gave precisely zero fucks about the duel, but she was excitedly looking forward to seeing her pompous distant relative eat his worthless and unwarranted pride. “In fact, we'll go to third blood.” That meant the winner would be the first person to injure their opponent three times, but the alicorn was banking on the unicorn backing off when Jay pulled some fiery wizard stuff out of nowhere. She knew the human had the tendency to do that.

Still, blood sport was hard to come by in the modern day.

$%$%$%$%$%$%
Extra – Blue Space Commies (aka the next obligatory 40k bit)
Two weeks into the Dark Crusade, at the intersection of Equusian (Eck-use-ian), Tau, and Chaos-held territory.

It was rather odd seeing the armored human walking side by side with the insect-like aliens, but that did not prevent Shas'o Kais noting how unprotected he seemed. The Tau commander also saw how completely the other aliens obeyed the stealth-suited male, telling of a rigid chain of power within the new faction's ranks. The chitinous equines that surrounded the stranger regarded him with almost reverence, like those the Imperial Guard and Space Marines had towards their Emperor. The the experienced Fire Warrior knew there were many other infantry and support units the newcomer used in battle, including avian-feline hybrids and horse-like psykers.

The human's eyeless helmet made it impossible to tell where he looked, but Shas'o Kais could feel his unseen eyes drill into him. It did not help that his own armor was currently engaging its stealth field, making him invisible to all but those equipped with the correct spectrum scanners. In the blink of an eye, the stranger vanished from sight. The Tau cycled his battlesuit's vision modes in an attempt to locate the cloaked assassin, but knew from his scouts that such his technology was insufficient in this task. Anyone that could sneak through Necron lines and plant a massive nuclear device obviously possessed wargear that surpassed anything on the modern battlefield.

“What's up?” The experienced Fire Warrior raised his weapon in an attempt to remove the threat posed to him and the Greater Good on Kronus. The unknown human sliced the cannon in two using the late Necron Lord's bladed staff, its warp-blade had no trouble cutting through the advanced material of Shas'o Kais's powerful gun. Before the Tau commander could react the stave's skinning blades were pressed into the armor protecting his throat. “If you cooperate, and call off those stealth-suits about to ambush my changelings, I'll let you leave unharmed.”

“And if I do not?” The Tau were an accepting people, but it was important to keep a perceived enemy at arm's length at all times. The blades were pressed harder into the electronic armor, setting off a number of warning signals ordering the commander to get himself and his men out of there. The standard course of retreat would surely result in death, for both Shas'o Kais and his subordinates, especially if those insect were surrounding them again. “I take it you'll kill me?”

“Of course not, your people have done nothing to harm mine.” A human showing mercy was unheard of in any Fire Caste report, especially one of such position. The Necron staff was removed from the commander's armor, and planted into the ground with a strong thrust. “But, I must request you send a message to your Ethereal.”

“And that would be?” Shas'o Kais knew how strange and fanatical humans could be, but the monotone voice and professional demeanor this one displayed was a refreshing break from the norm. of course, that did not mean the adolescent-sounding male was any more reasonable than a Blood Raven or Commissar.

“The Equusian force commander wishes to arrange a diplomatic meeting of goodwill between the United Equusian Kingdoms and the Tau Empire.”

PreviousChapters Next