• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 1,321 Views, 94 Comments

Beasts and Beings - Stories of Equestria's Inhabitants - Strongbolt Stonewing



Ever wondered what colour a Jumquap is? Or what makes Sporcelli angry? Well, stranger, now you too can know. For in your very hooves you hold the ultimate guide to Equestria's beasts and beings.

  • ...
0
 94
 1,321

Thundant

A Thundant is a creature with an incredibly fluffy, dark grey body. Its fur is so thick that you can barely make out any of its other features.

They basically look exactly like a storm cloud, and their ability to levitate also helps them achieve this effect.

Thundants will usually rub their fuzzy bodies across certain areas of land in order to transfer their magic-imbued electrons and give the floor a negative charge. These Thundants can then rejuvenate their electrons via magical matter creation, thus, achieving a similar negative charge.

In simple terms, Thundants use magic and science to make themselves into opposite magnets.

Their bodies are so light that they can practically defy gravity.

So, we've established that Thundants disguise themselves as clouds. But why do they do this?

Well, as it turns out, they are very shy creatures. They try to avoid contact with just about everything, including the ground.

To be fair, it's quite a defensive strategy. I mean, who would honestly expect a cloud to be the enemy?

Very true. Although, why Thundants feel the need to hide is unknown. Underneath their fur is a actually a matted orb of electricity, held within glass-like skin that resembles that of a Darnstby.

See the Darnstby chapter for further details.

Not only does this 'orb' act as the brain, it is also able to use various electric manoeuvres.

Like normal clouds, Thundants are able to expel sparks in the form of lightning. The only difference with them is that it can be in any direction.

I'm sure you can imagine the surprise on a poor, unsuspecting Pegasus' face when a rogue bolt zaps them after kicking what they assumed was just a storm cloud.

I can still feel the burns...

As you can probably tell, Strongbolt was one of these poor, unsuspecting unicorns.

This was back in my days as a royal guard, mind you. Myself and a team of other Pegasi were tasked with disarming a group of stray storm clouds over Canterlot.

What they didn't realise was that some of those 'stray storm clouds' were actually Thundants.

After they zapped us all, they fled in fear. So the job was done. But it left a pretty big mark.

And you learnt that you should never go flying in a storm without protective rubber clothing.