• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 1,320 Views, 94 Comments

Beasts and Beings - Stories of Equestria's Inhabitants - Strongbolt Stonewing



Ever wondered what colour a Jumquap is? Or what makes Sporcelli angry? Well, stranger, now you too can know. For in your very hooves you hold the ultimate guide to Equestria's beasts and beings.

  • ...
0
 94
 1,320

Parasprite

Parasprites are adorable, insect-like creatures that live in large forests.

But don't let their looks deceive you! Parasprites are dastardly little monsters that can destroy entire towns overnight.

Luckily, Parasprite outbreaks are very uncommon. They remain dormant throughout most of the year and only venture outside their homes once every summer.

They may seem innocent, but their effect can be devastating. You see, they just don't stop eating! They'll eat fruit, cake, fruitcake, vegetables, veggie-tables, real tables, bricks - anything!

And after they've finished eating they cough up a small ball of mucus that develops into another Parasprite, who repeats the cycle.

How... delightful.

It's a very strange method of reproduction; unlike any other known to pony-kind.

Except Ransers.

Oh, yeah, Ransers are weird too. We'll do those later, for now let's talk about our adventure with the Parasprites.

Certainly. It happened a few summers ago, just after the Mendredians attacked us (see Mendredian chapter for further detail).

We were about to pack up our belongings and leave Fillydelphia, when suddenly we heard a scream from outside.

I peaked out of our hotel window to find a mare running from two peculiar, blue and green, spherical creatures with insect-like wings.

At first I thought: "What's all the ruckus-"

Fracas!

Fine. "What's all the fracas about? It's just four, adorable little- wait, four?"

We realised that they were starting to multiply and ran outside as quickly as we could. But by that time, the Parasprites had grown twice in number and were gnawing their way through the local bakery.

The result of their infestation was pretty bad. They chomped almost half of the town's food supplies and would have done more had Celestia not shown up.

Luckily, she was able to use an effective method of Parasprite removal: music.

Oddly enough, a melody is the only thing Parasprites enjoy more than food. They'll follow just about anyone who provides a bit of music to their ears, regardless of where they are taken.

Rumour has it that Princess Celestia led them back to the nearby forest. They died out just a week later from food deprivation.

It's a shame that there's no other alternative. But they are Equestria's most dangerous pest. Sometimes you've just got to take action.