• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 1,320 Views, 94 Comments

Beasts and Beings - Stories of Equestria's Inhabitants - Strongbolt Stonewing



Ever wondered what colour a Jumquap is? Or what makes Sporcelli angry? Well, stranger, now you too can know. For in your very hooves you hold the ultimate guide to Equestria's beasts and beings.

  • ...
0
 94
 1,320

Dragon

Dragons are reptilian creatures that vary in size, scale colour and personality. Many have the ability to breathe fire, although, this power can be adapted for other uses, such as magically delivering letters.

Hm.

What?

Do we really need to write a chapter on dragons?

What do you mean?

Have you ever met a pony who doesn't know what a dragon is?

True, but nevertheless, we are completely oblivious to who our reader is. They could be a two legged, fleshy creature from an alternate dimension, reading our stories through the use of a complex network of coding and magic that somehow manages to translate the pages of our book into a electronic display. All the while believing that what they were reading was the work of yet another two legged, fleshy creature, remaining completely oblivious to the existence of our universe.

Come on, Shiera, those kind of creatures don't exist. Let's be realistic.

Well, there have been rumours of certain creatures, in another world, called Humans-

This a book of facts Shiera. Solid Facts. Not rumours. If you want to write a fantasy book on 'Who-Mans' you be my guest.

I suppose you're right.

When aren't I?

I could write another book on all the times you haven't been right.

I think we're going off topic. Back to the Dragons!

For a long, long, long, long, long time, ponies were unable to decide whether dragons should be classified as Beasts or Beings.

You see, despite their beast-like natures, Dragons are actually very intelligent. Many have formed colonies and a large percentage of younger dragons can communicate through actual languages.

However, an odd feature of the Dragon is that it seems to lose more intelligence the larger it becomes. This is because the size and appearance of a Dragon is completely dependant on its greed.

And these guys can be really greedy. I believe there was an incident in Ponyville not too long ago, there were reports of a dragon running wild.

Wasn't that Spike?

Spike? As in Twilight's small, purple, somewhat adorable, baby dragon Spike? Ha! That's a good one Shiera, sweet little Spike running wild?

Now that I think about it, that does sound a little far-fetched.

Why don't you add that to your book of times I was right?

I said I was writing a book on times you weren't right. Oh, never mind, we're getting sidetracked again.

Oh yeah, so another debate was held in Canterlot. Herpetologists, beast experts and even a variety of Dragons all attended to discuss ideas for the future of Dragonkind.

Eventually, after a heated argument, which literally involved a lot of heat from the Dragons' fire breath, the group came to a conclusion: any dragon possessing enough intelligence to speak, even if it posed a threat against ponies, and was able to fit into a society somewhere would be classified as a Being.

Then it was decided that any dragon who did not meet these terms would be classified as a Beast.

We actually have two stories about our encounters with a dragon. The first being during our time in Ponyville.

We were visiting a friend from Canterlot who had moved to Ponyville, going by the name of Twilight Sparkle, but I'm sure you know who that is.

If not, I'd suggest reading a book on Canterlot Royalty, the Elements of Harmony or unexpected fan groups.

What was that last one?

The fan groups? Twilight became very popular in Canterlot, nobody could have expected so many fans to pop up at once.

Oh, right, I thought you meant... Ah, never mind. As I was saying, we were visiting Twilight, just because we were in town and wanted to see an old friend, yet, when we approached her library, we heard the strange sound of fire crackling coming from within.

We pushed the door open slightly and a ray of green fire soared over our heads.

It turns out Twilight's assistant, Spike the Dragon, had fell asleep, and apparently dragons can be quite destructive when they snore.

Yes, Twilight was incredibly grateful. She nearly lost her whole collection of 'Teleportation through the Ages.'

Oh yes, how could she possibly go on living without 'Teleportation through the Ages?'

I know! It's such a good read!

...

What?

I'm pretty much you're only friend, aren't I?

...

...

...Yes.

...

...

...This is really awkward now. How about I just continue with the story?

...

Okay, I'm never going to hear the end of this am I?

...

So... as you can probably tell, Spike is a Dragon, but he's classified as a Being due to his friendly nature and ability of speech. The next time we met a Dragon we weren't so lucky.

...

We, um, we were exploring canyons up in the, uh, the Badlands, when we came across a rather gigantic cavern. Shiera thought she heard a rumbling noise come from inside, didn't you?

...

Okay then. So Shiera thought she heard a rumbling coming from inside, so I went forward to investigate, and um, well, let's just say Dragons don't like trespassers and we had to run.

...

Hang on, Shiera could you please stop looking at me like that?

...

*sighs* Alright, I'm sorry.

...

Don't give me that face.

...

Don't give me those sad eyes.

...

Please, anything but the eyes...

...

Okay! Alright, I'm really sorry! I was wrong again, okay? I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. Really, I am.

And?

And I love you, and you're beautiful.

And?

And I'm very lucky to have you. Hugs?

Later. We have a story tell first. After Strongbolt and I accidentally awoke the scaly beast we were pushed back into the canyons outside.

So there we were, cowering in a corner as the Dragon slowly approached. I say 'we' were cowering, I mean Shiera was-

...

Um, I mean Shiera was being really brave and awesome whilst I tried to formulate a plan.

When you're stuck in a difficult situation with a Dragon there isn't much you can do except keep running. Luckily for us, Strongbolt was able to do the one thing he isn't actually half bad at...

Flailing my arms randomly and beating lumps out of whatever I find.

I have to admit, it was pretty impressive. I've never actually seen a pony take on a Dragon in hoof-to-claw combat and win.

Unfortunately, Dragons have no real weaknesses, they're like us, just bigger, more reptilian and ninety-five times as dangerous.

You better just hope that you've got a bit of fight in you, or you've got someone with you who can teleport.

You always need a unicorn, eh? So... hugs?

...

...

Alright.