• Published 16th Mar 2014
  • 913 Views, 9 Comments

The Chronicles of Summer Rain - shysage



Just Fluttershy's sister... Across two worlds... Who would have thought that true friendship would make so great a difference...

  • ...
9
 9
 913

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 9, Rebuilding Bridges, Part 1

Summer Rain awakened groggily to the sound of Fluttershy talking.

The sun was clearly up. Summer Rain wasn't too suprised at this since she figured that she was up for almost two full days when she finally went to sleep yesterday

Summer was awake, and just laying still. She rolled her head to the side, and realized that Fluttershy was sitting on her cot talking into her little picture frame thing she called a 'cell phone'.

Fluttershy was evidently talking to someone. Summer was asleep for the beginning of the conversation, but caught this much.

Summer decided there was dialogue because there was a substantial pause between each of Fluttershy's sentences.

"Oh, and just so you both know, I have a real sweet friend staying with me for a while."

"No dad its another girl. You know I would never do that."

"Mom, I know her pretty well, and she's not the type to take advantage of me."

"We are going to the Animal Shelter together in a bit."

Fluttershy laughed at this point "Yes mom, she actually wants to come."

"Just an old friend I guess."

"Well, this is my concern... She looks a lot like Summer... I just--"

There was a longer pause.

"Well ya, I understand that you are not ready for this yet. I know you both don't need any more reminders."

"Yes it has been hard for all of us."

"How about this. Call or text whenever you want to drop by, and we will take care of the rest."

"I love you both. Angel says 'hi' too."

"Bye"


"Morning Summer" Fluttershy said with a smile.

"Fluttershy I hope you know that your smile is priceless to me" Summer replied.

"Aww..." Fluttershy said as she looked down embarrassed.

"I'm sorry if I slept too long, do we still have time for the Animal Shelter?" Summer said.

"Ya, it's only around 9."

Fluttershy threw a brush to Summer, and said "Let's have some granola, then we can go."

Summer quickly found that brushing her hair with hands and fingers is a LOT easier. She did miss her tail though.

"Fluttershy, do you have something I can wrap around my hair to hold it all back? It tickles my nose" Summer said.

"Sure just a sec, I'll put it up in a Pony Tail for you." Fluttershy said.

"A what?" Summer asked incredulously.

"Here, let me show you" Fluttershy said.

Fluttershy sat on the couch, and from behind, used the brush to gather together all of Summer's long blond hair near her head, than used some sort of stretchy band thing to hold it back like that.

"This hurts my head just a little" Summer mentioned.

"Oh, I'll fix that." Fluttershy backed the band away from her head a little and it felt better.

"Seriously now, what is this called?" Summer said.

Fluttershy answered calmly "It's called a Pony Tail."

At this Summer Rain began laughing hysterically for a minute or two

Fluttershy just sat there smiling.

"Its just that" (laughter) "I actually have a real pony tail in Equestria" (more laughter) "and now I have two" (laughter). Summer abruptly stopped laughing and then said "Well wait... Now I just have one... Wow which planet am I from?"

Fluttershy chuckled at this, then they both laughed together.

Fluttershy motioned Summer to a small table with two chairs, and two bowls of what was probably Granola.

"Fluttershy can you show me please?" Summer asked.

Fluttershy poured some 'milk' in her bowl of granola, picked up a 'spoon' with her fingers, and started putting the granola in her mouth and chewing it up.

Summer Rain tried to do the same, and it worked out pretty well.

"Wow this is good!" Summer said.

After they were both done, Summer Rain said to Fluttershy "I think when we eat, I will just have what you have and as much as you have. My new body doesn't look like it will tolorate eating too much very well."

"That's fine Sis" Fluttershy said reassuringly.

Summer found some of Fluttershy's clothes that fit reasonably well, and changed into them in the bathroom, and they were both soon ready to go.

Fluttershy picked up her backpack, and Angel hopped over expectantly. Fluttershy paused as if in thought. Then she put her backpack down and said "Angel I think you are staying home today. The dogs usually scare you anyway." Angel looked disappointed, then hopped over to the cot and climbed under the covers.

"Wait... Where's my backpack!? I can't even remember what I did with it" Summer said suddenly.

"Relax Sis, it's at the end of the couch, and it feels like it's full of bricks" Fluttershy said with a chuckle.

Summer sighed with relief, then said "Well books, I hope, but we will check that later."

They were soon out the door, and Fluttershy again used her key to lock the door. Fluttershy said the Animal Shelter was a few blocks away so they headed down the 'sidewalk'.


As they started walking towards the Animal Shelter, Fluttershy said "I think I gave us some time on one of the problems. That was my parents I was talking too before on my cell."

"Ah ok I guessed as much" Summer said.

"I told them some about you and that you are staying with me. I also told them that you looked a lot like Summer, their daughter, and they agreed that seeing you might be a problem. So when they want to stop by, they will let me know, and you will need to find somewhere else to go for a while. I hope thats ok" Fluttershy said anxiously.

"Of course, that's fine." Summer responded.

"And for what its worth" Fluttershy continued, "you do look different with your hair up like that, which could come in handy."

"Yes, two pony tails" Summer said grinning.

"Well, it probably won't help with my parents though, your face looks exactly like their daughter." Fluttershy said quietly. "And your name is also exactly the same as their daughter, we can't just change that over night."

Summer Rain jumped in at this point. "And as much as I like to call you 'Sis', this may not be a good idea either."

Summer and Fluttershy both sighed at the same time, then looked at each other and smiled.

"Like you, I really want to avoid hurting their feelings any more" Summer said. "I can't even imagine how bad they must feel."

Fluttershy was quiet at this, and Summer put her arm around Fluttershy's neck and gave her a hug.

"Well we have some time on that one anyway" Fluttershy mentioned, "but what about school?"

After some thought, Summer Rain said "I have no idea."

Summer Rain and Fluttershy walked in silence for about a block, and they were almost to the Animal Shelter.

Fluttershy stopped suddenly, and Summer did too.

"Well this is a small detail" Fluttershy ventured quietly, "But what are we gonna tell the people at the shelter? We have about a block to decide."

There was a large area of grass in front of an official looking building, the Post Office, and Summer walked over into the grass and sat down sighing.

Fluttershy was quickly sitting next to Summer.

Summer was lost in thought for a while then said "Sis..."

Fluttershy said "ya?"

"I can't NOT be Summer Rain. It just won't work. I AM Summer Rain, and any careful stories we weave will quickly unravel. This means we need to be extremely carefully what we tell who, but it's the only way that will work. And we will have to tell your parents at some point, probably most everything."

Summer Rain looked into Fluttershy's eyes and said slowly "Do you still want me in your house?"

Fluttershy quickly threw both arms around Summer's neck and said "Of course!" while giving her a hug.

Fluttershy then said quietly "I said I wanted to help you, and I meant it. It will be hard, but together we will make it."

Summer paused then said "Fluttershy, you are a true friend, thank you."

Summer continued "I don't think we should go around bragging about this, but when it comes up we need to carefully explain."

Summer Rain got up, and carefully pulled the strap out, and her blond hair tumbled down over her shoulders.

Summer shrugged, and said "I am Summer Rain, I really can't be someone else."

"Lets go pet some fluffies" Fluttershy said with a smile.


Fluttershy led Summer Rain into the shelter through the front door. Fluttershy said "Hi Kathy" to a lady sitting at a table near the door.

Kathy looked up briefly from some papers she was reading, then said "Hi Fluttershy and Summer, nice to see you two on speaking terms again" and was quickly back to her papers as they walked further into the shelter.

"Dogs first or Cats?" Fluttershy asked.

"Sis I'm following you, lead on!" Summer said cheerfully.

After a brief pause, Fluttershy said "Dog kennels are over here, lets do them first because they will go crazy if they smell the cats."

They were soon outside in a small yard. "Watch your step" Fluttershy cautioned.

Along the outside wall of the shelter were a number of large cages, most held a dog. They all started barking and wagging when they saw Fluttershy.

Fluttershy pulled a rope thing, oops a 'leash' from the wall. One at a time, she would open a cage, connect the leash to the dog's collar, then bring the dog out. Fluttershy would pet the dog while talking to it, and usually brush the dog's fur.

If the dog was 'behaving" (Fluttershy's word), she would unhook the collar and let the dog run around the small yard. Some dogs would bring anything loose they could find in the yard to Fluttershy, and then run like mad to get it when she threw it.

It was clear Summer's sister adored every animal.

"You two are so alike" Summer Rain thought to herself.

Summer didn't consider herself an "Animal person". While helping her sister at the cottege with all her animals, Fluttershy never forced an animal into Summer's lap. This Fluttershy was likewise just as considerate.

Still, Summer was enjoying every minute of this, both Fluttershy's were "extremely rare people, er ponies, oh whatever" Summer thought to herself.

Putting the last dog back in the cage, and a bit out of breath "Cats next" Fluttershy said as she led the way back inside.

They were soon in a smaller room that had stacked rows of cages along one wall where a number of cats were sitting or lying down. Fluttershy said they were sulking.

One at a time, Fluttershy gently lifted a cat out of a cage, then sat on a rug on the floor with the cat in her lap. She petted and scratched them. She also brushed the fur on some of them. Summer was again amazed at Fluttershy's tenderness and sensitivity with these animals.

While petting one of them, and thinking half out loud, Fluttershy said "If I could, I would move out into the country, build a house, and bring all these animals with me."

"I have no doubt" Summer said with a smile.

Cats done, Fluttershy and Summer Rain headed back out the front door. "Thanks for coming you two, I'm sure the animals appreciated it." Kathy said without even looking up.

After the door was shut, Fluttershy sighed, and said half to herself "I really wish we could get more volunteers."

"I'm sorry Sis. I know thats important to you" Summer said consolingly.


The walk back to Fluttershy's apartment didn't take too long, but they talked along the way just the same.

"So why did Kathy know who I was but not freak out like I was the walking dead or something?" Summer asked.

Fluttershy thought a minute then said "I don't know."

"My parents are not very outgoing, and aside from an article in the newspaper, the town didn't really hear a lot about it.

"Summer just stopped coming to school..."

Fluttershy stopped abruptly at this point, and there were tears welling up in her eyes.

Summer put her arm around her, and gave her a hug, and said "Lets drop that, I'm sorry."

They were at Fluttershy's apartment at this point, and Fluttershy let them both in.

Concerned, Summer said "You ok?"

"Ya, I'll be ok. There were a lot of mean rumors around school... And I couldn't handle much... I don't think anyone there really knew exactly what happened."

There were a few moments of silence.

"Summer?" Fluttershy said quietly. "Thanks for being my friend."

They hugged for a little while.

"Ok, wheres my bricks, er, books?" Summer Rain said.

Fluttershy pointed to the end of the couch, "They are a little heavy for me, I'll let you..."

Summer had her 'Backpack' quickly in her lap. It was still white with gold trim, with a small copy of Summer's Cutie Mark on the outer flap. It was just a backpack now, and not a saddlebag like it used to be. It still looked awesome.

It was quickly open, and Summer gave out a sigh of relief as she noted that all three of her books made it through the Portal intact, and without losing any words. They looked a little smaller to Summer, but she realized they she might be bigger now, who knows.

"Can we read some out of one tomorrow?" Fluttershy asked.

Summer quickly repied "Sure Sis, but I'd like to do the first session together if you don't mind."

Summer put the books back in the backpack.

"What's this?" Fluttershy asked pointing to the three drops on the backpack that were a copy of Summer's Cutie Mark.

Summer had to stop and think about this a minute. She doubted that this even came up when Princess Twilight was here. In fact, she wasn't even sure she still had hers.

"Sis, hold that thought just for a minute" Summer said.

Summer went into the bathroom and checked, it was still there, halfway between her waist and her knee. It looked smaller than she remembered, but it didn't matter.

She also remembered Fluttershy saying that this part of her body needed to stay covered up, and anything else just wasn't appropriate.

Summer was back out sitting next to her sister, and she talked a little about Cutie Marks.

"Well Fluttershy, Cutie Marks are a big deal in Equestria. Everypony there gets one as they grow up. A ponies' Cutie Mark is generally connected to some special talent or ability, or else actually becomes visible at a time connected with the meaning of the mark. Frequently a ponies' Cutie Mark is a good indication of who they are, or what they can do, what they are good at. Most young ponies can't wait until their marks appear, and they can be subject to a lot of teasing until then."

This was all correct, but in her mind Summer was trying to forget that practically none of this was true in Summer's case.

Fluttershy actually seemed to be taking this all in very quickly.

She pointed to the drops on Summer's backpack and said "Is this what your Cutie Mark looks like?

Summer sighed and said quietly "Yes, I just checked, it's still there."

Sensing the resignation in Summer's voice, Fluttershy said "Aww, whats wrong Summer?"

"Its just that" Summer said haltingly "a lot of what I just said about Cutie Marks is true for just about everypony, except me it seems. My Cutie mark arrived without fanfare late one evening right before bedtime, and nopony, not even me, knows what it means or signifies. I still don't know what my 'special ability' is."

After a minute of awkward silence, Fluttershy spoke up timidly "Sis, I think your special ability is being a friend."

"Thanks Fluttershy" Summer said with a smile.

After a few moments silence, Summer Rain continued her discourse.

"And if you had a Cutie Mark it would be--"

At this Fluttershy immediately used her hand to make sure her dress was down over her legs. Summer understood instantly.

"Wait -- do you have one Sis?"

Fluttershy timidly looked at the ground and said "yes."

"Is it three small butterflies?" Summer queried

Fluttershy nodded yes. "I'd show you but it isn't exactly in a nice spot.

Summer Rain smiled broadly and said "Sis that's amazing -- just like my Sister's--" and then stopped abruptly here.

"Wait... Most people here do NOT have them right? How and when did you get yours?" Summer asked

"People can tattoo all sorts of marks on their bodies, but no one here gets Cutie Marks out of nowhere." Fluttershy said with a sigh.

"I noticed it after Princess Twilight left. Oh Summer, is it ok that I have one? I haven't told anyone else about it.

"Sis don't be ashamed, that mark is a pulling together of who you are. You are amazing with animals, and thats what yours means" Summer said a little too loud, but she was excited.

"Well I did tell Rarity one day. Evidently all five of us got ours at the same time" Fluttershy said thoughtfully.

Summer stopped talking a minute to take this in.

"Wait... So you, Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow all have Cutie Marks now?" Summer asked.

"Yes" Fluttershy said cautiously, "Is that ok?"

"Well it's definitely not bad, and might certainly indicate that you five need to stay together as friends." Summer mused.

"At any rate, I think that's awesome, you all have a little piece of Equestria now!"

"Not that you need to go bragging about that or anything, if you know what I mean" Summer quickly added.

After brief silence, Fluttershy was thinking out loud. "Gosh, I have a Cutie Mark now. I think it's beautiful, I really like it. It's like I always have some special animal friends with me."

"It is as beautiful as you are Sis" Summer said with a smile.


Well it was getting late, and Summer was still tired from, uhm 'jet lag' Fluttershy called it.

Fluttershy again fixed a salad for them both, and they enjoyed a quiet meal together.

Fluttershy showed Summer how to work the shower, and brought warm pajamas in for her to put on afterwards. Summer remembered to brush her teeth before she came out.

They were both soon lying in their own beds with the lights out.

Summer Rain said "Fluttershy, I hope I can help you, Rainbow and the rest see true friendship for what it is, and want to pursue it together."

"Me too" Fluttershy said with a sigh.

PreviousChapters Next