• Published 16th Mar 2014
  • 913 Views, 9 Comments

The Chronicles of Summer Rain - shysage



Just Fluttershy's sister... Across two worlds... Who would have thought that true friendship would make so great a difference...

  • ...
9
 9
 913

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 34, Passing It On, Part 3

Dawn and her daughter Camille got up early. Life in Ponyville was starting to get back to 'normal' to a great degree, and Dawn decided to head to the meadow and collect some flowers.

Besides, doing something different but 'normal' like that would probably be good for Camille; the last few days had been hard for her. Thankfully, Camille remembered very little about the 'Green eye' phase, as both she and Camille were both under the monster Sunset's influence. Dawn shivered at this and decided to even avoid thinking about it.

Dawn was more thankful than words could ever say that Summer and her friends had come back and rescued her, well all Equestria really. Summer was also the friend that brought Dawn out of Sunset's spell, and Dawn quickly rescued her daughter. Dawn hugged Summer for the longest time and just cried on her shoulder. Summer had to leave too soon it seemed however.

After a quick breakfast, Dawn and her daughter headed across town to the meadow. Ponyville seemed pretty normal, even though she knew that some of the people around had no friends, and so were still 'Green eyed'. Princess Twilight and her friends had paid dearly, and even though they were alive, they were still recovering. Dawn saw Pinkie Pie outside the Cake's shop, but none of the others. She was not suprised by this however.

Dawn was soon out in the meadow. Looking around, it was like the events of the last week had never happened. It was both restful and relaxing to wander around and pick some flowers. Camille enjoyed the time as well. Dawn realized that hopefully outings like this could help recent events fade more quickly into the past for her daughter.

In fact, Dawn brought an oat pie, and so they both wandered most of the day in that meadow. Camille even took a nap under one of the trees, and Dawn just relaxed next to her and stared off into the distance. She needed this more than she realized.

As the sun started to head towards the west, Dawn decided they should probably wander home. They weren't in a big hurry, so took their time walking through town. Again, Ponyville seemed subdued, but getting back to normal.

Dawn and Camille walked into Dawn's floral shop, through the showroom, then into the back rooms where they lived. They both had been walking all day, and Dawn knew Camille would be exhausted. Camille walked over to their bed, and literally fell onto it, and was soon fast asleep.

Dawn sat at the table they generally ate at, and thought for a while. She could go make some arrangements to replace the wilted show pieces in the windows. She could also make some oat pies, just to get ahead for the next few days. She didn't feel like doing either however, and so just sat there for a while.

The days and weeks before the monster Sunset came seemed so far in the past. And a few days ago, Equestria had come perilously close to oblivion. The entire realm seemed to have suffered greatly from recent events, but Dawn knew they all had to keep going, and move the "near tragedy" into the past.

While musing on such things, there came a faint knock on the door. The sun was setting, so Dawn lit another candle, and then headed to the door to see who it might be.

It was Corn. She was still very dirty. Her head was down though, and Dawn knew she was still needy. While Dawn resented the fact that she was here, especially after what happened her last trip she had made to the Crystal Empire that dark night, Dawn had made a promise as a true friend that she intended to keep.

Corn didn't even try to say anything.

Dawn remembered what her friend Summer had taught her, and so graciously said "Corn please come in."

Soon they were both sitting at the table. After a tense silence, Corn started. "Hey look I'm sorry that I ran away from you last time. That Sunset monster freaked me out, and my hair was growing back, and I just needed some time alone.

"I want you to know that I am so thankful that you rescued me though. Many of the ponies I know are still Green-eyed. If you hadn't showed me friendship, then I would be the same way. Thank you. Really."

Corn talked with the same surly voice Dawn remembered. Corn was dirty, but she didn't smell at all. Dawn walked around the table, put one of her legs around Corn's neck and hugged her. This made Corn uncomfortable and she pulled away slightly, and Dawn returned to where she was sitting.

Even so, Corn said again "Why are you doing this? I can't do anything for you. I'm a freak and a nopony. I have nothing to offer you in return."

The essence of true friendship was becoming more clear to Dawn even as she replied "Corn you are a pony going through hard times. I want to help. My friends taught me that true friendship means putting others first. I want to help you the same way they helped me."

Corn thought about this for a minute, then said "Well I don't understand, but you told me if I was ever in Ponyville, I should visit you. I don't think anyone planned on what that monster did. But I am here, and have nowhere else to go. I don't understand why you are doing this, but I hope you can help me."

Dawn thought for a moment then said "Corn, I will do what I can. I am still 'needy' myself, but let's see what we can come up with for you. Also, caring for Camille is a high priority for me, and her safety and well-being is my top concern. If that becomes a problem, we will need to explore other arrangements."

Corn put her head down and said "Yes I understand. I still feel really bad for yelling at her. I will make sure that nothing like that happens again." Corn spoke quietly, but still with the same surly tone.

Dawn led Corn over to a small storage room along the back wall of her shop. The door opened into the shop, and the room was mostly empty, Dawn didn't have a lot of stuff after all. "This can be your room. And by the way, your Oat Pies were very good, maybe you can start selling those, I don't know. I am guessing it will be a week or more before you have any customers anyway."

A thought occurred to Dawn at this point. "Did you just now come to Ponyville?" she asked.

"Well I arrived this afternoon, but you weren't home. But yes, I basically just got here" she answered.

"Well if you are hungry, I have an extra oat pie. I can draw some water too" Dawn offered.

"That would be amazing" Corn said.

Dawn watched Corn eat, she really was very hungry. She seemed refreshed afterwards, but Dawn knew Corn would be very tired. Dawn herself had recently made the same trip after all.

"Oh and one more thing" Dawn mentioned. "I will probably start having customers in the shop in the next few days, and I would like for you to stay here in the back when that happens. My business helps meet our needs, and I would ask you to respect that."

"Yes I will" Corn slowly said, again with her head down. "And thank you Dawn from Ponyville. I know I don't deserve your kindness, and I don't seem like a very kind person, but I know I need your kindness right now. Thank you."

Corn then walked into her new room, Shuffled some straw together into a bed, and was soon fast asleep.

Dawn went back to the table and sat down, lost in thought. In her mind she kept going back and forth between Summer helping her, and now she trying to help Corn. After a while, Dawn thought to herself "Summer I hope I am doing the right thing. Corn seems to need a lot of help, but I guess so did I. Thank you wherever you are."

Dawn next went into her room, lay down next to Camille, and then she too was soon fast asleep.


Dawn got up at her usual time, and she and Camille had a nice breakfast together. Dawn next went into the showroom. and began making some flower arrangements for the windows of her shop. She was using the flowers they had picked yesterday in the meadow.

Mid-morning, Rarity came in for a brief visit. She looked terrible. "Rare it looks like it was very hard on you, I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Dawn hugged Rairty, and she started crying on Dawn's neck. Dawn guessed she didn't know the half of it. Rarity cried for a while.

Dawn said softly "How can I help you Rare."

Rarity said quietly "You already are Dawn."

After a while more, Rarity's crying subsided, and she slowly said "And I came here to check on you. Thank you Dawn, I feel a little better. I think it will just take some time, it was all very scary."

"Rarity, lets go smell flowers later maybe. The meadow still looks amazing" Dawn offered.

Rarity thought for a moment, then said "That does sound like a good idea. Let me go close my shop and I will come with you.

Rarity left, and Dawn went to the back to get ready for the trip.

On the way back, Camille said "Mommy, why was Rarity crying?"

Dawn said simply "Honey, Rarity has just been through a very scary thing, and needs some time and friends to get better."

Corn was up, and had been listening to the whole conversation. All Corn could say was "Who..."

"Corn that was one of the friends that went out of their way to help me in the past. True friends do that. Now, she has just been through a very rough time, and I am trying to be a true friend and help her." Dawn explained.

Tears welled up in Corn's eyes, but she clearly was choking her crying down. "I wish I could be like that" she said very slowly.

"Corn you can be. My friends say that you just need to choose to put others first. It is certainly hard, but being a true friend around other true friends makes life amazing." Dawn explained again. Dawn also noted that she was listening to herself as much as she was saying this to Corn.

Dawn was quiet for a minute then said "Corn, I hope I can help you learn to be a true friend. I think life really isn't worth living any other way."


Dawn and Rarity were soon on their way to the meadow. Sweetie Belle volunteered to watch Camille, and so Dawn and Rarity could have some time together.

They didn't pick many flowers.

Rarity spent a lot of time just sitting in the meadow staring off into the distance. Dawn just sat by her side with her. A few times, Rarity started to sniffle, and Dawn just hugged her as she cried. Very little was said, and nothing really needed to be said.

Dawn was beginning to understand true friendship.

They headed back to town, and had a snack at the Cake's with Pinkie Pie, and Rarity seemed to be more and more her usual self with each passing hour.

Dawn and Pinkie walked Rarity to her boutique, and Dawn picked up Camille. Camille had a wonderful time with Sweetie Belle, but was ready to go home.

As Dawn and Camille headed out the door, Rarity hugged Dawn tightly, and said "Thank you for today, I really needed it."

Dawn simply replied "That's what true friends do Rare. Let me know if I can do anything else for you."

Pinkie left the boutique soon afterwards, and caught up with Dawn. "Thanks Dawn, Rarity REALLY needed you today."

Dawn blushed and said "I know, I wish I could do more. I hope the others have true friends along side them as well however."

Pinkie just said "I think that is happening. Thanks again Dawn."


As Dawn walked into the front door of her shop, she heard a pony crying in the back of her shop. Quickly heading back, Dawn found Corn crying in her new room.

"Camille, can you wait in our room until I'm done talking to Corn?" Dawn asked.

"Sure mommy, seems like a lot of people are crying today" Camille said.

"I know dear, a lot of people here have just gone through a very difficult time. I will come get you when I am done." Dawn said.

Dawn went into Corn's room and really wasn't sure what to say or do. Corn didn't even try to stop crying. Dawn just lay down on her belly next to Corn and put her leg around her and held her. Corn just cried more, but it was ok.

Corn cried for quite a while, and there were tears in Dawn's eyes as well. Dawn remembered Camille waiting at this point, and said to Corn "I will be right back."

She went in to check on Camille. She had just fallen asleep, and Dawn woke her back up. Camille was still hungry, so Dawn got out an oat pie for her, which she began to eat.

When Dawn went back in to check on Corn, she was fast asleep, so Dawn pulled the door shut and went back to the table. Dawn ate the rest of the oat pie when Camille was done. She hugged Camille, and sent her to bed.

Dawn wondered what she was feeling. She had just spent the better part of a day just being there for two hurting friends. Rather than being irritated by the inconvenience, Dawn yearned to be able to do more to help both of these friends. This was very different for Dawn, and she admitted it. At this point she simply said "Thank you Summer."

Dawn was soon in bed next to Camille sleeping soundly.


The next morning, everypony was up at the same time it seemed. Dawn got out the last oat pie and they all shared it. Dawn and Camille talked a little, but Corn said nothing.

Corn smiled at something funny Camille did however, and this was a good change. Her smile haunted Dawn however, but she thought nothing of it.

They were out of Oat pies, and Dawn asked Corn if she would be interested in making some more. Dawn said again that the ones Corn made were very good.

Corn nodded yes, and Dawn explained that there was a large Oat stand in the field east of the shop. Corn was soon on her way.

Dawn spent most of the day making Florals to replace the ones in her windows. Camille wandered around and found odd things to play with. Dawn wasn't especially in a hurry, and also spent time with Camille as well, talking to her, and playing some with her.

By late afternoon, Corn had come back, and had made seven Oat pies. Corn's Oat pies even smelled better than Dawn's.

Dawn wrapped up the Floral she was working on, and as the sun slipped past the trees, she, Camille and Corn sat down to dinner.

The Oat pies tasted very good, Corn was good at this, and Dawn told her so. Corn simply nodded. Corn had not said a word all day, Dawn could only hope everything was all right.

In the middle of dinner, there was a knock at the front door to the shop. Rarity had dropped by for a minute, Dawn asked Camille to stay in the back, and really didn't feel it was a problem leaving her with Corn a few minutes.

Rarity hugged Dawn tightly and thanked her again for a wonderful 'rejuvinator' she called it, their trip to the meadow yesterday. She was evidently feeling much better. She mentioned a new project and they discussed it briefly. Rarity was soon on her way, mostly recovered it seemed.

Dawn headed back to the kitchen only to hear Camille and Corn talking. What she heard went like this.

"...and I am real sorry for yelling at you, that was really bad of me" Corn said.

"It's ok Corn, I forgive you. My mommy said things are very hard for a lot of ponies." Camille said.

"Well I want you to know I've decided to change, and that will never happen again." Corn said.

Dawn could NOT listen any more. The conversation didn't bother her, because it seemed like Corn was choosing to change before Dawn's eyes. But Dawn's mind was literally exploding, screaming out something so extremely important that she couldn't yet discern.

"Wait..."

"That voice..."

"Belongs to..."

"SUMMER RAIN..."

PreviousChapters Next