• Published 16th Mar 2014
  • 913 Views, 9 Comments

The Chronicles of Summer Rain - shysage



Just Fluttershy's sister... Across two worlds... Who would have thought that true friendship would make so great a difference...

  • ...
9
 9
 913

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 4, Passing it On

Dawn Flower was sitting in her shop in Ponyville. She and her foal Camille were in the back where they lived.

They were both sharing their favorite meal, called Oat Pie. This meal was easy to make, just gather a bunch of wild Oats with the stems still attached, add some water and flour, form it into a circle and bake. Dawn didn't consider herself a cook by any means, but could usually manage to make these easily enough.

"Camille we are going on a trip tomorrow, so after we eat, I need to make a few more of these" Dawn said gently.

Camille thought briefly, then said "Mommy, where are we going?"

"The Crystal Empire! I've heard that place is so beautiful!" Dawn replied enthusiastically. "Mommy wants to go there just to look around, and maybe get some new ideas for my work" Dawn added.

After a brief delay, Camille said "I'm coming too, right?"

Dawn walked around the table and hugged her daughter. "Of course you are! I would never leave you here by yourself" Dawn said.

"Are we gonna walk there?" Camille asked.

"No, we will need to take the train, and this will be your first time for that. It should be a lot of fun, so many sights to see" Dawn said.

Camille smiled and said "That does sound fun!"


As Dawn made a few more Oat Pies, she spent most of the time just thinking.

Dawn's new friend Summer had been a big help. Because of a lot of the things Summer had helped with, even very little things, Dawn's floral business was really doing very well. Besides, Summer just seemed to be there when Dawn needed someone, and that was a big comfort too.

Summer had also introduced Dawn to Rarity who was a very important pony in Ponyville and beyond. Rarity was also an artistically minded Unicorn, and evidently quickly fell in love with Dawn's work, and included it with hers when she thought it appropriate.

Both of these ponies had given just a little of their time to Dawn, and it had made such a huge difference. And there seemed no pay-back for either of them. Summer said that's just what true friends do.

Dawn didn't understand this, but was happy for their generosity, and smiled to herself thinking about these two new friends especially. Dawn hoped she could be like that too some day, but her past had left her pretty 'needy', and she suspected Summer knew this.

It was Rarity who suggested Dawn take a 'breather' to a beautiful place just for 'artistic inspiration' as she put it.

Dawn easily had the bits for this trip, but every time she walked through the front door of her shop, it literally screamed out for repairs. The roof leaked too.

Fixing her shop up was finally possible, but Rarity felt the trip should also be a high priority. How did Rarity say it? "Sometimes creativity needs to be fed with different, inspirational surroundings".

Dawn looked out into the showroom and thought "Fixing it up will happen soon, I hope."

Dawn and Camille went to bed early, tomorrow would be a long day.


The first train to the Crystal Empire left almost at sun-up, and Camille wasn't very awake at this point. Dawn loved her daughter and was very patient, they both quickly ate, and they barely made it to the station in time. They were soon in their car, and Dawn settled in for the trip as Camille quickly fell back to sleep.

Just watching the scenery flowing past the train was extremely relaxing, a feeling that Dawn couldn't remember feeling recently. Dawn was amazed at the variety, the colors, everything. She just watched, almost entranced, as the living pictures kept coming past.

After a while, Camille woke up. "Mommy will we be there soon?" she said.

"I think so, but I have never been this way before" Dawn answered gently.

Camille laid her head on her mom and finished waking up. Dawn looked lovingly at her daughter. "I love you Camille."

"I know mommy" Camille gently replied.

After a while longer, the Crystal Palace station call came through, and the train began to slow down. As the train pulled to a halt at the platform, the Crystal Empire was outside Dawn's window, and the huge spire of the Crystal Palace was clearly visible, and the sight of it took her breath away.


They were soon walking along the wide main street leading straight through the Crystal Empire. Looking at the way the street went off seemingly forever into the distance, under the Crystal Palace and long past it, Dawn realized they would get to see little of this amazing place.

But this didn't matter, Dawn had no goal beyond just seeing what she could see before they had to catch the train home. They began simply wandering down the broad street in this amazing place.

This stretch of the street was lined with a seemingly endless line of shops along the side. Rarity had warned Dawn about them, evidently their prices were far too high.

Camille would occasionally stop Dawn and ask her a question. The whole of Equestria, and life itself was all amazing to Camille at her age. Dawn realized that, while Camille may not remember much of this place, this experience may have a long-lasting impact on her daughter. Dawn put her head down briefly and thought "Thank you Rarity."

There were not a lot of flowers this close to the city, but everything else was simply beautiful. If only Dawn could come up with a way to work rocks like this.

Camille interrupted her thoughts "Mommy I'm hungry, can I have some of an Oat Pie?"

Dawn instantly realized her mistake, they were at home in the kitchen. "Dawn honey, I left them at home. Let's see if we can find some in one of these shops" she said.

This part of their trip became a chore.

Most of the shops sold no food, and the few that did wanted a full 10 bits for a single Oat Pie. This was more than Dawn had brought. This price was simply ridiculous.

For quite a while, they looked and found nothing. Out of the corner of her eye, Dawn caught a sign "Oat Pie, 2 Bits". This was a lot, but far more reasonable than 10. Dawn and Camille headed towards the sign.

The shop was actually on a quiet side street that headed off from this main street. The small, very weathered simple stand reminded Dawn of her own shop, even though Dawn's shop was much larger.

The Pegasus running the shop was very dirty, and Dawn hoped the Oat Pies were fit to eat.

"I'll take one please" Dawn said politely.

"2 Bits" was the surly response.

Camille had watched her mom smell flowers, and so smelled one of the Oat Pies down low.

"Hey lady, get your kpony away from the goods" the owner yelled. (At least that's what it sounded like she said to Dawn.)

Camille quickly backed off at the owner's tone and lowered her head. Dawn was angered at this interchange, but was still cordial. "I will take that one too please" Dawn said.

"Fine, 2 bits" was the surly response again.

Dawn rushed her daughter away from the shop, and quickly apologized to her for what had happened. Out into the main street, Camille started crying, and Dawn just held her close. "Honey, it's not your fault, sometimes ponies are just mad a lot" Dawn said, trying to explain. "But here, have some Oat Pie." she added.

In spite of the way they were treated, the Oat Pie was very good.

Still, Dawn only had just enough bits for the return to Ponyville, and hoped for no more surprises. It would be a long walk with a Foal otherwise.


After they both finished the Oat Pie, Dawn sighed, and they resumed their journey.

Dawn looked up towards the sun. "When it is directly overhead, we need to head back to the train station." Dawn thought to herself.

They were again wandering, looking, appreciating, and enjoying the beauty of this place. Camille saw some pretty birds.

While they would not make it all the way to the Crystal Palace, it was still a huge structure that commanded most of the view to the west.

At noon they turned around and simply wandered back the way they came.

Later in the afternoon, Camille asked for some food, but Dawn said they would wait and eat in the Train. This comment prompted Dawn to remember the shop, and so maybe she would keep an eye out for the sign, and steer clear.

They were soon at the intersection, and the sign was gone, but Dawn recognized the road. Dawn heard what sounded like a pony crying, very faint, and it sounded like it was coming from the direction of the shop with the surly owner.


Dawn's first inclination was to walk quickly away. Dawn remembered that "Summer said that's just what true friends do." Dawn inhaled deeply, then they both headed for the crying sound.

They found the surly shop owner, sitting, facing the corner next to her run-down shop crying. As they approached she got up. "What do you want" was the surly response as she wiped away tears.

Dawn wasn't really sure how to handle this, and she did want to protect Camille. "Ma'am can we please have a calm conversation for my daughter's sake?" Dawn said quietly.

"Ya sure" the other pony said more quietly, but still surly.

"And I'm sorry I yelled at your colt" the other pony said still quieter, but even still surly.

"This is my daughter Camille" Dawn said.

Camille spoke up "An I forgive you for yelling ma'am, mom said sometimes ponies are mad a lot, and that's ok"

Dawn wasn't sure how this would set.

"Camille, I wish I wasn't like this. I'm really sorry I yelled at you." the other pony said.

"What is your name?" Dawn asked.

"I don't know, they call me Corn. It's my hair, comes in the color of corn, and people make fun of it, so I try to keep it trimmed off.

"Corn, why were you crying?" Dawn queried.

After a brief pause Corn spoke "My life isn't exactly going well. I will spare you the details, but nothing is working out. Selling Oat Pies for a living, what a laugh. You were my only customer today. Everypony here calls me a freak. And I yell at little ponies for no reason. Maybe you should run away while you still can."

Dawn could tell from her own life exactly what was going on.

Dawn chose to try and help, the way others had done for her, even though this particular pony would probably need a lot. Dawn hoped that maybe others in Ponyville would also get involved should the situation present itself.

"Corn I want to be your friend, I want to help you, but I need to head back to Ponyville tonight."

Rarity had Dawn make up some little signs for shows, that included the following:

Dawn Flower
Floral Arrangements
Ponyville

Dawn took one out at this point, and gave it to Corn.

"Here take this. If you are ever in Ponyville, come visit me." Dawn said.

Corn was really touched by this. "Why are you doing this?" she asked.

"Because my story was similar to yours recently, and ponies just trying to be my friend made all the difference. You deserve friends like that too" Dawn said with a smile. "I wish I could do more now though."

"Thank you Dawn and Camille from Ponyville" Corn said, still a little surly.


Dawn and her foal had to rush to make the last train to Ponyville, and were soon enjoying the Oat Pie together before the sun went down. The return trip was a lot more boring after the sun went down.

After arriving in Ponyville, Dawn and Camille walked slowly to Dawn's shop exhausted, and almost couldn't find it... ...because... ...it... ...looked... ...AMAZING!

PreviousChapters Next