• Published 16th Mar 2014
  • 913 Views, 9 Comments

The Chronicles of Summer Rain - shysage



Just Fluttershy's sister... Across two worlds... Who would have thought that true friendship would make so great a difference...

  • ...
9
 9
 913

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 13, Air Mail

Princess Twilight actually got up fairly early this morning. It probably helped that Fluttershy spent the night. They did a lot of fun stuff together.

The sun was up past the treeline, and it looked like a nice day.

And it looked like Angel and Owlicious were playing hide-and-seek or something.

Spike was actually up to.

Twilight made a small breakfast for she and Fluttershy, and they were relaxing at the table just talking.

Rainbow Dash stopped by at this point. Rainbow had taken over for Summer as the primary errand runner for Princess Twilight. So Rainbow sat at the table too, and relaxed and talked with Twilight and Fluttershy.

After about 10 minutes of relaxed chatting, Pinkie Pie burst unexpectedly and dramatically through the front door. "Princess Twilight! Something amazing has happened at the Crystal Palace!"

Everyone got this anxious look on their face.

"Summer is back?" Twilight asked.

Pinkie thought for a moment, then said "I don't think it is that. But it's something though. Few doubted Pinkie's abilities at this point.

"Rainbow can you round up Rarity and Applejack?" Twilight asked quickly.

"I'm on it" Rainbow said as she bolted out the door and took to the sky.

"Well, ok, I guess we should expect a ride to the Palace soon then" Princess Twilight said thoughtfully. Let's go wait outside.

Pinkie was quickly out the door.

Twilight noticed that Fluttershy hadn't moved yet. Twilight walked around the table and sat down next to her.

"Are you ok?" Twilight asked.

"I think so" Fluttershy said. "Everything was just getting back to normal." (Fluttershy paused here, then tried to continue) I really miss my sis--" she could go no further.

Twilight just held her for a little while, and her crying soon trailed off.

"Fluttershy," Twilight began softly, "I know it's been less than a week, but even hearing some news will be a good thing."

"You are right Twilight" Fluttershy said. "I hope it's good news though."

"Me too" Princess Twilight said as she gave Fluttershy a hug. "Lets go wait outside with the others.


The rest of the girls were waiting outside.

Before long, not one but two Air Coaches pulled to a stop outside the Library. The lead captain looked both surprised and relieved that everyone he was sent for was already standing near him.

Still, he said curtly "Princess Celestia requires your presence at the Crystal Palace. Three of you in each coach please, and harness up."

"Sir" Princess Twilight said, "can my baby dragon Spike come too?"

The captain mumbled something to the other lead and said "Yes, but put him in that coach with the 3 lightest ponies.

"Fluttershy and Pinkie please join me in the far coach, and Rainbow, Rarity and Applejack you can take this one" Twilight said quickly.

Except for Rainbow not wanting to put the harness on, the trip was uneventful, and they were all soon standing outside the Crystal Palace.


They were met by Princess Cadence and Shining Armor, along with Princess Luna and Princess Celestia.

Twilight's friends still bowed out of respect, and Princess Celestia quickly and cheerfully nodded for them to stand.

"We called you here because some sort of item was found this morning in front of the Portal" Princess Celestia began. "A guard noticed it, and Princess Cadence let me know. I haven't seen it, but Princess Cadence said it looked like some sort of message from Summer."

"No-pony has touched or moved it, that will be your task Princess Twilight. Let's go."

Twilight had forgotten how long the walk to the Portal room actually was, and the desire to hear some word from Summer made the trip seem to take forever.

On the way, Princess Celestia said quietly to Princess Twilight that Sunset Shimmer had been moved to Canterlot, and Princess Twilight nodded in approval.

They were soon standing outside the door to the Portal, and at Shining Armor's word the door was open.

"Girls wait" Princess Twilight said.

She turned and walked next to Fluttershy, and quietly asked "Are you ok? Do you want to come in with us?"

"Ya I think so" was Fluttershy's timid response.

Twilight and her special friends were soon standing before the mirror, gazing at a very strange piece of what looked like paper.

"What do you suppose it is?" Twilight asked.

"It looks very strange" said Rainbow said.

"I hope it's not dangerous" Applejack added.

Spike recognized folded paper when he saw it, and he had heard enough. "Wow, girls" he said as he muscled his way to the paper, and quickly had it unfolded, and smoothed against the ground.

"The Equestria girls!" Princess Twilight yelled out, and was soon crying with joy.

"Summer you did it, oh thank you thank you..."

"And just like I remembered them too" Twilight continued. "This one is you Fluttershy, this one is you Rarity, and Rainbow, Applejack and Pinkie, they are all here."

The 'persons' looked strange, but Twilight's five friends all understood that each of these 'persons' was the alternate world equivalent to each of them, and they were all amazed.

Rarity spoke up and said "Well I can tell that this other world also has someone deeply interested in good fashion!"

"And awesomeness too!" Rainbow quickly added.

"And fun!" Pinkie said with a smile.

"Boy howdy, look they are standing on their hind legs too" Applejack mentioned.

"Gosh, I think I see Angel" Fluttershy said quietly.

And Twilight was thrilled just to be able to see them again.

Pinkie spoke up at this point "Turn it over Twilight!"

She did, and was deeply moved, and just lay down on the ground and began weeping softly at this point."Thank you Summer" Twilight kept saying over and over as she cried.

Rarity, Rainbow, Pinkie and Applejack were quickly at Twilight's side, crying with her to varying degrees.

Fluttershy was still standing, away from the group, looking at the floor. Summer had at least brought the five 'Equestria girls' back together. Still, Fluttershy had heard no other word about her sister.

It is clear that Princess Luna knew and saw a lot more than she usually got credit for. She walked over next to Fluttershy and said "relax dear one".

At the Princess' command, Fluttershy sat where she was.

Princess Luna lay down on her belly next to Fluttershy, and motioned for Fluttershy to do the same.

Luna used her magic to retrieve the piece of paper, and showed Fluttershy the small words along the bottom.

Evidently Fluttershy needed to see this, and she too began to weep softly as Luna comforted her.


After a while, the crying mostly subsided.

Princess Twilight Sparkle, do you have anything to report?" Princess Celestia said cheerfully.

Princess Twilight didn't even try to get up, but answered the question while wiping tears from her reddened eyes.

"I think Summer has arrived safely.

"It also appears she was successful in re-uniting the 'Equestria girls'

"However, we really don't know the state of their mutual friendships yet.

"And there's no indication about any relationships between our two worlds.

"But this is still most encouraging."

"Excellent report, I will see that it gets logged properly.

During this interchange, Spike was over by the balcony examining the picture in the sun light. "I wonder how they drew this. It looks very detailed."

Spike mumbled a little more than said quietly "We should send something back."

"Spike!" Princess Twilight yelled "That's an amazing idea!"

Spike quickly had paper and quill in hand and was ready to write. Twilight came up with most of the words, but it was still a group effort.

The final product read like this:

"Dear Summer and Precious Friends,

Thank you for the amazing note and picture, we will treasure it for a long time! We are glad to see that Summer made it there safely, and that you are all doing well.

I wish I could come again, but deeply appreciate Summer Rain being my substitute, at least for now.

Each of the girls here send their greetings, especially to their oh so awesome counterparts in your world.

Lovingly, Princess Twilight Sparkle."

Everyone agreed this was good, and when they were about to seal it, Princess Luna called Spike over. Fluttershy was still next to her.

Princess Luna said quietly "Spike please add the words 'Sis I miss you too' along the bottom."

This done, the note was quickly rolled up and sealed with red wax.

Princess Twilight next tried to gently move the note into the mirror, but the mirror was solid at this point. She tried pushing harder, but was soon afraid she would damage the paper or break the seal.

Disappointment spread rapidly through all present.

Except for Pinkie Pie. "Twilight, let me try" she said.

Pinkie backed up away from the Portal, then did a somersault, jumped high in the air then gently tossed the note into the Portal from there.

A dull flash, and it was gone.

"That's one picky Portal!" Pinkie said laughing as everyone else let out a sigh of relief.

After the laughter subsided, Princess Celestia asked for everyone's attention. then began.

"You have all dealt with this portal a few times now, but please let me remind you that it's presence and what has happened today must not leave this room. We do not want to risk anything that would jeopardize Summer Rain's ability to return when it is time.

"And Twilight, I'm sorry, but that note would probably best be left here."

"Yes, you are probably right" Princess Twilight agreed.


Arrangements were quickly made, and Princess Twilight and her friends were soon back in Ponyville.

On the trip home, Fluttershy decided to again spend the night at the Library with Twilight.

Chatting over dinner, Fluttershy said quietly "Twilight, you were right, it was good to hear some news about my sister."

Princess Twilight had been lost in thought for a while. She simply replied "Fluttershy your sister is amazing."

"I know" Fluttershy said.

PreviousChapters Next