• Published 9th Feb 2012
  • 5,757 Views, 36 Comments

Gridlocked - The Young and Free Dragon



A spell cast on Spike causes him to fall in love with Twilight Sparkle. But how strong a spell is it and what will it mean for their relatio

  • ...
7
 36
 5,757

Not So Far

Sorry this is a little late. I took a day off and didn't get much done the next, and this still hasn't been run through my editor but I needed to get an update to the people who enjoy the story. Any changes will be made on Wednesday.

PLEASE READ BEFORE BEGINNING THE CHAPTER: A large part of this chapter may not fit canon, as I've said, I have not seen every episode. Therefore, it probably fits more to the beginning of season one canon than current, or maybe it's correct, I don't know. Also, as I understand there are no rules on the age of the ponies or Spike, so I'll be using my own.

GRIDLOCKED
BY THE YOUNG AND FREE DRAGON

Your silence haunts me
But still I hunger for you

-My Curse by Killswitch Engage

CHAPTER THREE: NOT SO FAR

To make her plan foolproof, Twilight figured she should take a few years off of Rarity. A younger pony should take Spike's attention even more, and she could suggest he keep interest in her without becoming a hypocrite over her own advice. She hadn't decided yet whether she would get him to eat the gemstone and try to project its power over him onto the one he had sought after for a while now. It just depended on how eager he was to see Rarity, she supposed, and that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

“This is certainly a strange spell,” Twilight murmured to herself as she read over the mixture.

Her magic itself would not be the only thing at work. This called for a strange concoction of salts and spices and water that would do the job when energized by her magic. The pony subject would have to bathe in the mixture and would soon be turned a few years younger. That was what the book said, and while it was an old book that she was unsure of, she had learned not to doubt her books. Twilight was surprised to find that she owned all the salts and spices she was required to have to make the mixture.

She collected them and then the book, and headed for Rarity's boutique.

[][][]

“And you're sure this will work?” Rarity asked, her voice betraying her nerves.

“Of course. You want to turn back the clock a few, don't you?” Twilight asked cheerfully.

“Well yes, but...” Rarity murmured. The fashionable mare was hesitant as she placed a hoof in the water. It was warm and smelled nice and inviting. She calmed a bit and stepped in, kneeling down to submerge her body.

“Mmm... this is splendid!” She said as she felt the warm water almost massaging her body as Twilight's horn glowed and she began working the spell.

The water began to swirl around Rarity and the thick salts and spices began to glow. Twilight bit her lip as she concentrated her magic and worked the spell. After a few moments, she opened one eye as the glow left her horn. Her eyes widened a bit as she saw Rarity's new form. Taking her features into account, it really wasn't that surprising, but having never seen the unicorn as a blooming adult was shocking. Her form had shrunk a tiny bit and her eyes seemed a little bigger and expressive, like a child's.

A few of the signs of growing old that Rarity would count as “imperfections” were now gone, and she had the subtle body of a teen, complete with the experience of a young adult's. Rarity looked to Twilight.

“Am I done?” She asked. Twilight just nodded, staring in awe at her friend.

“Oh, I must see myself.” She said excitedly, hopping out of the tub and grabbing a towel, nearly slipping and falling as she rushed for a mirror. She gasped whenever she saw herself and stared in shock for a few moments before letting out a squeal of delight.

“I'm beautiful!” She exclaimed.

“So are you ready to take Spike in then?” Twilight asked, rubbing sweat from her brow.

Rarity frowned but nodded. “To help you and the poor dear? Of course.”

[][][]

“Spike, “ Twilight said, shaking the young dragon awake, “Spike wake up.”

“Twilight...” Spike groaned, turning over, “What is it, I thought you said I had the day off?”

“I did but Rarity wants your help at the boutique,” She said.

Spike groaned and rubbed his eyes. “Do I have to?”

Twilight tilted her head in confusion. Normally, Spike would hop out of bed at the first chance to help Rarity. She wondered if he was not feeling well. Could the spell be hurting him? Her stomach lurched.

“Well, she just wanted some help. I don't know how urgent it is.”

“Alright, I'll go,” He sighed, sitting up and getting out of his bed.

Twilight watched him with concern in her eyes as he left, and went to studying with renewed fears.

[][][]


Twilight smiled as she read through a book on gemstones. She was finally making some progress, now that she had Spike out of her mane. The ever present guilt still burdened her, but she knew it was in his best interest, if this spell was hurting, perhaps killing him. She shuddered at the thought of the loss of her assistant. She hadn't found out much, but she was at least able to concentrate. She had learned that the gem came from a special mine in Equestria, where druid ponies had once practiced the magic of love. Love was an ancient magic that was no longer practiced (legally) because of its implications.

The gem itself was made from the residue and memory of that magic, condensed over thousands of years and eventually hardened into a sweet treat. It was now sold as a black market item, and was in a very limited quantity and commanded a high price.

So that confirmed some things for her. One: the gem could not have been sent by anyone in Ponyville, unless they illegally ordered it. Two: it had to be the cause of the loving feelings, because of its black market value. That didn't help much with her worries about whether it was causing him harm. Black market items could not be trusted, of course, but it was doubtful that it was hurtful because it was used as a love potion. Unless of course it wasn't.

The book didn't specify what part of love the magic dealt with, and if it was sold in the black market, it was more likely used as a drug to introduce sexual thoughts into someone's head. She had sent some of the gemstone with Spike as a snack, and was now quite worried. Rarity of course would not accept any sexual invitations, but she didn't want him to damage his pride and friendship with her, when he could not control what had come over him.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door, interrupting her thoughts. She got up and answered, surprised to see Spike with a hazy pink glow in his eyes, and Rarity standing beside him with a hoof on his shoulder, a frown on her face.

“You're looking luminous, Twilight,” Spike said, almost drunkenly.

“Um... thanks, Spike,” Twilight murmured, blushing, “I thought you needed his help, Rarity? It's only been thirty minutes.”

“I thought it best if I brought Spike back. He is... not fit to work. Why don't you go lie down, dear?” She said, directing the last part to Spike.

Spike seemed to begin to protest but Twilight spoke first, “Yes, it's your day off. You shouldn't have to work.”

He didn't protest at all to her, nodding and going up towards their room, staring at her from the stairwell, until Twilight snapped him out of his trance and made sure he got into bed. When she returned, she had a look of worry on her face, and Rarity's face did not soften, meaning there was no good news to give.

“Did he... try something on you?” Twilight asked.

“Not at all. He didn't pay one bit of attention to me,” Rarity said, almost sounding jealous.

“Then why was he not fit to work?” Twilight asked, fearing she already knew the answer.

“Well for one, every pattern I asked him to arrange, turned into one of you, and he also seemed sickly.”

“But he ate the gem didn't he?”

“Yes, he ate it before he started working.”

Twilight Sparkle now felt as though she knew nothing of this strange gemstone, and that perhaps all her work so far was for naught, while Spike continued to suffer from the effects of the spell.

“Okay, thank you for bringing him home.” She said.

“I thought it would be best.” Rarity replied.

There was suddenly a knock at the door. Twilight looked at Rarity in confusion, who only shrugged, and then opened the door. Apple Jack stepped up.

“Twilight, Ah found out somethin' rather interestin',” She said.

“What is it?”

“I was tryin' to gather a bit of information on that gem you were suspectin' was causin' Spike to act so strangely. I heard talk that Pinkie Pie adds a special ingredient to her candies and cakes on Valentines Day. Some ponies say it's a love spell or potion.”

[][][]

Twilight tapped on the door at Sugar Cube corner and was greeted shortly thereafter by Pinkie Pie.

“Oh hey Twilight. Did you stop by for some cupcakes, or muffins, or brownies or...”

Twilight Sparkle could see that Pinkie intended to list everything that she had baked today and possibly every day up until now, so she cut her off to save time.

“Actually, I wanted to talk to you privately for a minute.”

“Okay, sure what about?”

“Privately!” Twilight hissed, gathering more glances from those ponies around her and wondering if she had attracted more attention by being discreet.

Pinkie looked at her for a moment, not understanding before her eyes widened in realization as she held a hoof to her mouth.

“Ohhh...a secret. Shh...hush, hush, right?”

“Right, come on,” Twilight said, pulling Pinkie Pie inside and into the kitchen.

As soon as her grip loosened, the pink pony began closing and locking the windows, fortifying them with objects placed against them and going through all sorts of procedures to keep anyone from hearing or walking in on them. Twilight would have told her that it was not necessary, but she thought it best to just let Pinkie Pie do what came naturally. When she finished, she hopped over and cocked an ear.

“So what's the secret?”

“Actually, I think it's more of your secret,” Twilight corrected. “On Valentines Day, ponies say you add a “special ingredient” to your candy and cakes. Is that true?”

“Well, duh! Of course I do!” Pinkie chimed happily.

Twilight was surprised by her friend's willingness to admit she did in fact add something, but shook it off, considering this was Pinkie Pie.

“What is the ingredient?”

“Well it wouldn't be a secret if I told you, silly!”

Twilight sighed. She could already tell the party pony wouldn't be giving the secret up, at least not without some sort of prompt.

“What if I promised to keep it a secret as well?”

“Oh well, that's different,” Pinkie said happily, before becoming deadly serious. “Come closer.”

Twilight was a bit intimidated by the mood swing, but shook it off and came closer. Pinkie Pie coaxed her closer until she was within breathing proximity.

“Closer,” Pinkie Pie whispered.

“Just tell me already!” Twilight cried in frustration.

Pinkie grabbed Twilight's face in her hooves and pulled her until their foreheads were against one another and shushed her.

“Can you keep a secret?”

“Yes.”

“Promise?”

“Yes.”

“Pinkie promise?”

“Yes!”

“Yes,” Pinkie said, and let go of Twilight, before prancing toward the door.

“What?”

“I do put a secret ingredient in.”

“But what is it?”

Pinkie thought for a moment and then shrugged. “I dunno.”

“Where do you get it, then?”

“Equestria.”

“Can you just give me the information of whoever sells it to you?” Twilight sighed.

“Yup!”

“And why do you put it in, don't you know what it does?”

“Duh! That's why I put it in.”

Twilight sighed once more. She didn't expect Pinkie Pie to understand the problem with controlling other people's emotions. She probably saw it has harmless fun, perhaps a prank.

Comments ( 13 )

Ugg Pinkie STILL doesn't understand situations, but in all seriousness good job

Pinkie... sooo clueless:facehoof:

nice chapter. :yay:

the years for the poines are about 16 17 and 18. twilight was like five or six when she hatched spike. so spike would be about 13 assume dragons age the same just live longer. so it is like the mane six are high school senoir and spike is a freshman

I agree with Spikethed, that sounds reasonable. Anyway, your doing an amazing job on this, keep it up. love how Spike's eyes get whenever the spell comes in contact with him, hoping Twi accepts his love for her (or would it be lust?) :derpytongue2:

251354 I'm honestly hoping to see more of this, this is my thrid time reading these chapters and I really wish to see more.....I LOVE Pinkie pie, she's so freaking random you just can't help but laugh your ass off....:rainbowlaugh:

319835
Thats if dragon years are counted the same as pony years. I'm still willing to believe spike may be a bit older than what pony think he is.

Riz

251354
What is this Valentines Day ?

And why is Spike acting weird ? Was he drugged or something ?

And will the fic continue ?

Go, go, go with that fanfic.:moustache::twilightblush::raritydespair:

So sad that this is dead and the author seems to be too...

This is a terrific story. It's too bad we probably won't be seeing an end for it.

I wonder who sent the gemstone in the first place?
I suppose the most obvious culprit would be Celestia (unless this was written post Cadance), because of how close her letter to Twilight was from when the Gemstone arrived.

Login or register to comment