• Published 28th Mar 2013
  • 21,277 Views, 1,041 Comments

The Code's Apprentice - Lapis-Lazuli and Stitch



For a thousand years, the Code of Harmony has ruled Equestria, and the Code of Dissonance has sabotaged its works at every turn. Now the war for control over the land will come to a head, and one unicorn's decision may decide the fate of all.

  • ...
46
 1,041
 21,277

Afterword - Authors Notes

27 days. 149 thousand words in 32 chapters.

To say that Code's Apprentice is a feat of writing is I think, not understating the accomplishment. 4600 words a day, every day, for 27 days, is a pretty nifty accomplishment.

The Code's Apprentice is a story that changed a very great deal from it's original inception. Originally, the story was planned to last for 20 chapters, with about 5 thousand words per chapter. But that's only the tip of the iceberg.

The story changed dramatically as well, as well as a number of important character beats and story details. Trixie originally never featured in the story, and Luna's place in the story shifted very dramatically, just to give a few examples.

Perhaps the most important thing that changed was the ending. Originally, Code's Apprentice was meant to be an entirely self contained story. This pretty much got thrown out the window right around Chapter 20. One of these days, I'm going to spoil all of the major plot points and ending that changed, but today isn't a good day for that.

To say I am a little disappointed in the ultimate view count of Code's Apprentice is pretty accurate. I had deeply hoped that a much tighter, consistent writing style and focusing extra hard on excluding all of the grammar and punctuation problems that plagued The Twilight Struggle would provide me with a far larger crop of viewers. Sadly, the Fim Fiction reader is a fickle one.

But ultimately, I cannot call this a failure. In truth, I'd like to say it has been a grand success. I have proven to myself that day-in and day-out I can write a consistently large block of text that is both readable and belongs in the story. As someone who would love to one day become an author, this is a big step for me personally.

But much more incredible has been the commenters, and those who have supported me. I will not sugar coat it folks, you guys are the ones that made me want to keep updating this beast every single day. You guys, the readers, made this not just possible - but satisfying.

It is my hope that somepony amongst you will recommend this fic to someone who can get the word out about it. Or that maybe the FimFiction review team that posts on the front page will be told to take a look at it, and get the word out. It's my hope that once this has been tagged completed, it will receive a surge of new readers to appreciate it. I Don't expect these things, I merely hope for them.

Regardless, There's a lot of new stuff coming for the Codes Apprentice - Including a number of Side-story one-shots, which I hope will tide you over until The Twilight Fall ends. I'll be detailing those a bit in the Blog Post I'll be putting up following these notes going live.

I'd like to close here by saying just how much fun this whole challenge has been for me. I actually can't wait to get to the next story in the series. Maybe with more followers, more dedicated fans, and more luck, the next one will tear up the feature box - And if I'm lucky, launch the original into the feature box too!

But for now, I close with the only words that truly matter.

Thank you, one and all, for your support.

I'll see you at The Twilight Fall <- Which is not the sequel to this story, merely my next main fic. Sorry for the confusion!

Your faithful tale spinner,
Lapis Lazuli ( I've been thinking about changing my OC Pony name to Cedistic Dissonant. What do you guys think?)

Comments ( 203 )

I hereby declare this fic "Complete."

So let it be written, so let it be done.

You know, I honestly felt bad for commenting so much early on, of all the fan fictions I have read here I have only commented on maybe four and I thought I was being annoying. It was a pleasure to read this and I hope you never stop writing! I believe I said this on an earlier comment, but I have recommended this story to every person I know that is willing to read fan fictions and suggested it to a few who don't. Hopefully you will get featured as in my opinion at least, this story deserved front page. Please keep up the great work.:twilightsmile:

it's very hard to get readers if people doesn't know about the fic, to solve this you simply has to advertise it more, groups for example are excellent in this regard; one problem with that solution though, is that it's a double edged sword, the more groups you put it in the more elements of the story gets spoiled for future readers (most don't mind as long as the fic is complete before adding them though)

edit: would this fit into the groups: "action stories" and/or "Vamponies (and other supernatural creatures)"?
there is a group called "Writing Gold", i don't know the procedure when submitting to the group, but you should try to get it into that one as well IMO.
you could also try to get the story onto EqD...(i don't like EqD, so i guess im a little hypocritical for suggesting that...)

2470697 This also fits into Twilight being a badass too :P The best group ever. :twilightsmile:

2470697 EQD doesn't accept mature fics. *Shrug* Their loss, and frankly I'm not willing to edit this thing to make it "Teen" rated.

I've put the fic into a LOT of groups - unfortunately, I otherwise suck at advertising. I need someone who's good at that stuff.

Lastly - The exact status of the Elements of Harmony is....A secret. :coolphoto:

You, sir, are a beast of writing. How you managed to write as much as you did, in as good quality as you did, consistently as you did.... I will never know. I also feel like I, as a reader, let you, as an author, down by not commenting nearly as much as I should have.

I feel bad that I can't put into words how much I enjoyed the story.... they should have sent a poet.

My advice for more views, and i agree with you that it is a shame that there aren't more on this, find groups to add it to. Ones I can name off the top of my head would be Alicorn Twilight, Twilight Sparkle, Equestrian Vampirism.

Another thing you could do, and this goes against MY wishes, is to spread chapters out a little bit. I absolutely love getting one to two chapters a day for great stories like this, but getting in the feature box is directly correlated to number of views in a period of time. Spreading the chapters out so that when you post it there is a large influx of reading would make it more likely to get that box and thus increase readership. But that's a method that's entirely up to you:twilightsmile:

Storywise comments after the final chapter and epilogue. I'm wondering if the Tia, Lyra, Bonbon, Ditzy are the upcoming elements of harmony as the original mane 6 are elements of dissonance. Or did elements of harmony and dissonance merge together? I'm really hoping that the original cast doesn't get powerhungry/evil or "corrupted" into the same line of thought that plagued Celestia.... Gah!

I clicked on the link to "The Twilight Fall"
You set a password to it.:fluttercry:

Form some reason the word play between Cedisitc and Faust reminded me of the Luteces from Bioshock Infinity.....and yes that would be quite cool, it's not often that someone can say their OC was responsible for the destruction of the Alicorn race (and by extension every bad guy in the series) and not sound OP.

2470718
it's featured there:pinkiehappy:

I think you already know my opinions on 'The Code's Apprentice' overall... It's a really awesome story. It's sad that this story has come to an end, but that is needed for... the sequel that will come in the future!

The end of a story is merely the beginning of another one. ~Unknown (I forgot)

That quote has never been truer. :twilightsmile:

now waiting for you to either drop the pass for the next one or moderation's approval:facehoof:

2471107>>2470777 Just wait for Mod approval - I'd like everypony to get to the story at the same time, improve my odds of hitting the main page. Thnks for being so excited about it though!

2471299 why didn't you put the link up until after mods approval?:facehoof: it is one of those things that turns away people because they the think your just trolling them.:ajbemused:

2470721 how is this a mature fic? sure there are some references to some saucy activity but i saw nothing that would rate over teen...i loved it either way

2471360 Themes, I guess?

I cant figure out this site's bloody rating system anyway.

I've got to say that this fic had one of the best plot lines I've ever seen (and I read A LOT) and the fact that you updated ritualistically was awesome too. :heart:

In agreement with the injustice I think you were complaining about due to your complete lack of views, favorites, and upvotes, I must say, if I'm actually seeing things right, you must be the unluckiest author of such high caliber to have ever posted on Fimfiction. I would never have even found The Code's Apprentice if I hadn't just happened to be looking for some other fic possessing Sombra, Twilight, and some choice keywords, which I think made it into the featured box at some point despite its mediocrity. I thereby conclude this comment by declaring this entire situation to be ridiculous!

2472093
:eeyup:

I agree, quite ridiculous. Still, I have hopes for the future. But I very much appreciate the support. It means a lot to me.

Ok where to start when i started this i was shocked at how good it was fawn story lately have pulled me in and boy was this a hell of a ride I've read another story of yours as well with the same effect so all i can say is thank you so much for creating this amazing work and ill do everything i can to get your story out there keep the storys coming ill be watching

2473308
Actually, I am unfamiliar with that author. I took the inspiration myself from Robert Jordan's works in The Wheel Of Time series, actually.

so this story is in Twiluna in the romance folder, but the sequel is in Twidash. sooooo what's up with that. Is there Twiluna romance or twidash or no or what?

2473570 The Twilight Fall is not the sequel to this story. :ajbemused:

It's the sequel to Twilight Struggle, my first fic.

This story's sequel isn't going to be along for a little while yet. If you're faved/watching, I'll be putting on a blog post when I know that's going to be.

I have to say I originally never read this story as it was being posted as I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it. I must now point out that I was rather stupid in that regard as I had passed up seeing this wonderful piece come together as it happened. This is by far perhaps the best thing I have read in years and has kept me enthralled all day as I read through it in ways no story really has in far too long a time. You did really well with this story and I would recommend it to anyone if they asked me for a good Fimfiction read.

I'm going to fave this so I can pull it out and read it again whenever the mood strikes me and I do believe I've already upvoted it. I wish you luck in getting more views on this wonderful story.

2473577

oh. it was linked in the authors notes and said it was the second in a series so I just assumed. I suppose I'll give this a go sometime then.

2473592 Sorry for the confusion! I fixed up the authors notes. ^_^

2473583
I cant tell you how glad I am to hear this went over so well with you! Thank you so much for your readership, and keep your eyes open for the sequel! :moustache:

Before I read this, I have a question.

Does Twilight end up in (epic) battles?

Wow i really enjoyed this story and its highly underrated it deserves way more attention then its getting.
I think the mature tag keeps most new readers away from the story i would personally tag this story as teen.
Sure there are sexual themes and what not and such in it but there is no explicit stuff

2475974
More specifically, her punishment was to go out amongst herpeople and live like one of them. :raritywink:

Dayum this looks good. Almost like The Immortal game, but with my fave ship included.

Why is this not tagged crossover?:applejackunsure:

2478894 I really don't consider it a crossover, personally. I do take elements from other stories, but I'm not involving characters or direct links.

Also - Thanks for the compliment!

Now that was a wonderful fic that hardly let me go in the past two days - i think i spent way too much time reading. I'm really looking forward to the sequel and to your next stories... and let me tell you, everyone not reading this is really missing a big piece of art here! :heart:

Wow, dived into this story yesterday and it's been a grand trip. It's a shame this hasn't gotten more view and faves, because it's definitely one of those epic stories the site is lucky to have, but hopefully it's time will come. Sometimes these things take a while.

Anyway, I've loved the whole Dissonance/Harmony dynamic, and the way you present Celestia as an intelligent and suprisingly balanced antagonist throughout the story. Some of the words like 'Inquisition' made me sweat a bit, but you do a great job of hinting that there are reasons for the ordinary ponies to fear changelings and vampires, and yet there are also good reasons to give them a fairer shake in life.

2482559 If I have indeed accomplished everything you say here sir, Then I have succeeded in writing the story I set out to write.

Thank you so much for the incredible compliment. I hope to see you join our regular commenters when the Sequel comes out!

A Mustache for you! :moustache:

Ah, this was trully a marvel of keyboardship. I must applaud you in your efforts, but I have a question: How did you manage to provide so much output? Whenever I get nearly that much work done in a day, I look up and see that the sun has already set!
On the OC name, definately change it. Lapis Lazuli is a fantastic name, but Cedistic Dissonant is just so much... sweeter.
Also, definately can't wait for the continuation. Do post an update here so we can find it when you get around to it!

2488127 Keep reading, and don't fret! It will all make a lot more sense by the end.

Oh yes, and I absolutely love your in-depth assessment. :pinkiehappy:

2483761 Don't worry! I'll be canvassing the internet when I get started on the sequel

RE: My writing. Well for one thing, I love to write. For another thing, this project was a challenge to myself to see just how long I could sustain good, high quality writing. So I set aside time every day to sit down and write for this and other stuff. Right now, I'm still going strong!

As to my methods of writing, I might do a blog post on that someday.

Thanks a lot for your interest and support! It means so much to me to see so many people enjoying this fic. :pinkiehappy:

2488520

Personally, I love watching prodigal authors express themselves. It brings a sense of... happiness, a content feeling in enjoying something someone else labored over.
So don't thank me! Take a bow, dear author. You've earned it.

Finally finished this delectable masterpiece and I would just like to thank you so much for writing this! You have no idea how long it has been since a story got me too excited to do anything else at all! It has all the elements I love in a story and it's a shame it didn't get the popularity it richly deserves.

... time to fix that with spamming everyone I know with its link :pinkiecrazy:


Stay awesome, Lapis :twilightsmile:

I must say, this fic is amazing! I can't wait for the sequel!
5 mustaches to you :moustache: :moustache: :moustache: :moustache: :moustache:

finished this story in 2 days. loved it please do a sequel.



one thing i would like to say. after one of the "twists" i literally said out loud "This story has incest... and I'm surprisingly okay with that"

2505459 No worries there! A Sequel is already in the works - as are a number of side stories! Follow/Like/favorite if you haven't already and stay tuned!

I'm not really sure if I want to read this story or not... I kinda dislike the idea of a "finished" story that isn't "finished", also how much is the twiluna ship implemented in this? it sounds like something that was just thrown into it at a later date...

2507657 Honestly, you could read this story and never have to read any of the future pieces. It ends (Much like the original Star Wars, in my opinion) In a fairly definitive place.

Sure, the Epilogue hints at a future story which could be told, but hey - that's up to you if you're interested.

I also refuse to spoil major plot points and how they progress, even after the story is over. If you'd like to see how the Twi/Luna thing happens, you're just gonna have to read and find out.

Hope you decide to give the story a chance. :twilightsmile:

Glad your other story got featured so I could find you and this great fic!

First off, I find it amazing you wrote this thing in less than a month! I would love to have that kind of writing drive(I find getting thoughts out of my head and onto paper to be very difficult and could never write at the speed you do.)

I loved the story, though there are two issues that struck me as odd. The first is Spike, he literally ceases to exist not that far into the story. He gets sleeping powder slipped to him and then, poof, gone. Twilight and the rest don't even think of him for the rest of the story. I'm hoping that the vanishing of Spike will somehow be addressed in the sequel.

My other issue is Fluttershy, mainly being that I just didn't like how she was portrayed in the story. She felt more like a set piece than anything else. You could replace her with a brick in many of her scenes and change nothing. Of course, that's just me, I always view Fluttershy as stronger than most people think.

With that nagging aside, I would like to reiterate that I loved this story. Dark Twilight is one of my favorite types of fanfics and this one was crafted beautifully.

2507981 The Story of Spike will get addressed later - It actually ties in to a deeper part of the plot. To be brief, without spoilers - Lilith got spike out of the way for a reason.

As to Fluttershy... Yeah, I can understand your feelings. I'm still not super comfortable writing her, tbh - She's going to get an expansion of her side of the story in a side story in the future though, so keep your eyes peeled for that.

Thanks so much for reading, and I hope you enjoy the rest of my work in the future!

Just finished this story and I`m not exaggerating, this was by far the best story I have ever read!
I recently finished such fics as "Past sins", "Within and Without", "Apotheosis" but none of them could addict me to so much as this did.
I will most definitely read your other dark Twilight stories.
Never give up on your dream on becoming an author!
Thank you for this absolutely amazing story :heart:

2510517>>2512065

Its readers like you two who make all the writing worthwhile. :twilightblush:

Thank you both, so very much!

Login or register to comment