• Published 28th Mar 2013
  • 21,276 Views, 1,041 Comments

The Code's Apprentice - Lapis-Lazuli and Stitch



For a thousand years, the Code of Harmony has ruled Equestria, and the Code of Dissonance has sabotaged its works at every turn. Now the war for control over the land will come to a head, and one unicorn's decision may decide the fate of all.

  • ...
46
 1,041
 21,276

Chapter 12 - The Faithful

~~~The Everfree Forest, one hour later.~~~

Three black cloaked figures walked down the rough dirt path in the forest, the noises of the night creatures falling silent as they passed by. Sombra, the Shadow King led the way as Twilight Sparkle followed alongside Lilith. Since they had left ponyville, Lilith was sending a constant stream of soothing emotions to her Mistress, and Twilight was soaking them up like a sponge.

Strange, I never thought I'd meet somepony else as helpful as Spike is. Twilight turned and smiled at the lavender pink unicorn, who smiled back gently, her eyes darting up to twinkle at Twilight for a moment. You forced my hoof, Lilith. Twilight's thoughts began colored first with anger, then regret. I can’t blame you though. We can all only do what we think is right. You probably thought you were helping me.

Twilight turned to face her Acolyte, and saw a slight smile across her lips. She was utterly calm, as she always was. How does she do that? How can she remain so...at peace? It felt like it was impossible. Lilith turned her head to face Twilight as they walked and a flood of warmth and reassurance passed between them. She's like one of the girls. Just being around her makes me feel more at ease. It was cheering to think of her that way, just another member of the gang.

The dirt road beneath their hooves gave way to ancient cobblestone that led down deeper into the forest. Twilight could not remember this particular path having been here any time she'd come into this forest before. There were clear signs that plants and tree limbs had been cleared away, and fresh flagstones had been laid down to mark the path. This must have taken significant work and magic...who's been doing all of this?

Twilight didn't need to wait long for the answer. As they turned the corner, Twilight saw clusters of dark cloaked ponies wielding a combination of magic and farming tools clearing away foliage and fallen stones from around a massive stone tomb. Piles of discarded vines lay nearby, and were being burned for camp fires all around the main building..

The tomb was made of some kind of black stone, and sat upon a hill, surrounded by grass and low stone walls that ran down around it. There was a flat plain at the base of the hill, where dozens of different creatures sat around the fires, talking to one another and preparing pots of soup. Twilight's eyes widened and Sombra stopped, turning to smile toothily at her.

There were undisguised changelings sitting next to ponies of all three tribes, sharing food and physical comfort. Bat-winged pegasi with prominent looking fangs and pale coats chatted amicably with shaggy coated diamond dogs. There were griffons, buffalo, and even strange creatures Twilight had no names for. All around her, they wore black cloaks and hoods and simply went about a nightly routine - clearing away foliage and enjoying one another's company.

Twilight's jaw slipped open a bit and she spoke slowly, hesitantly. "But...How? This is incredible." She dragged her gaze amongst all of those who sat there, trying to process what she was seeing. This is unprecedented. None of these races get along like this, except the pony tribes! No one cares that there's changelings just sitting there! All Twilight could sense was a feeling of anticipation in the air, as though they were all waiting for something.

Sombra laughed deeply, and eyes turned to regard them with curiosity. "This is the world we seek to create, Apprentice Hecate." He gestured with one hoof, sweeping across the grouping of creatures. "A world where no being need live in fear of persecution. Where all might live together and build a world for us all, not just for those favored by Harmony."

The dark cloaked figures from all around the tomb were now arrayed around them in a semi-circle, and for a moment Twilight felt afraid. Their eyes all focused on her for a moment, and suddenly strength flowed into her. You are Hecate. she reminded herself, steeling her spine. They want you to show them your power.

Twilight strode forward, unable to see the mysterious smile spreading over Lilith's face .She planted her hooves and held her head high. "I am Apprentice Hecate." She stated to the crowd, all of whom slowly nodded in greeting to her. Some of them were bowing their heads, others simply watching and waiting. "You are the Faithful." More nods, more slightly narrowed eyes.

Lilith gently crossed her hooves in front of her and bowed in submission towards Twilight. "The Mistress will now show you her power. Rejoice, my brothers and sisters. A new dawn has come!" Twilight felt Dissonance just waiting, her eyes closing slowly. Through Power, I gain Obedience. It was almost like invoking a prayer, suddenly the spell form appeared before her eyes again. This time though, she would need far more strength.

She plunged her mind into Dissonance, feeding it with all of her fear and anger. Anger at the world for forcing her into this position, fear of what her teacher might yet do to her friend and those she loved. She drew upon the passion that fueled her soul and her love for magic and welded these powers together.

The power grew more and more inside of her, and her hooves began to emit shadowy bursts of energy. The circle of creatures moved back a half step, all of their eyes starting to widen. Dissonance...They're all looking at me. They're afraid, but they can’t look away... Twilight's eyes slowly opened to reveal the torrent of green fire within them. So incredible. I feel so alive. So powerful. So...perfect. Her horn began to glow with opaque magic that grew brighter with every passing second. Her voice rang out, redolent with power. "I am Hecate, and you shall be Obedient!"

Her horn flashed, and dozens of beams split off from the tip of her horn and streaked into the black cloaked throng around her. The dozens of beams struck the creatures and sent most of them careening away from her, only a very few held their ground in the face of her onslaught. Dissonance, what an incredible rush. Her mind exulted, feeling incredibly turned on from just that simple spell. Behind her, she could hear Lilith cry out and slump to the ground, and a sexy smile creased Twilight's lips. There, that's a nice little reward for all the help she's been giving me.

One by one, the black cloaked creatures knelt before her - Only this time she could see the tiny metallic charms that they wore slowly sparkle and change. Her sight revealed the dozens of shadowy tendrils extending from her horn and wrapping tightly around the cores of those present. In an instant, she could feel her power beginning to grow as each being submitted to her will. Adding themselves one by one to her service, they whispered the word through the night air. "Mistress." they spoke, in a rough rumble of sound.

Twilight's voice was breathy. "Arise, faithful. We have many tasks to accomplish." As one, the creatures rose from their knees and slowly passed before her, bowing to them. One by one, they gave her their names, until she came to three changelings who stood together. They appeared to be sleek warrior types, who looked at her in curiosity.

One of them spoke in a buzzing tone, which reminded Twilight of how a voice sounded going through a fan blade. "We are called Blackedge, your greatness. Are you to become a Queen this day?" Twilight felt startled, and saw the astonishment creep onto Sombra's face. "We have heard of how you slaughtered the unworthy of the R'akk Hive. You have earned much honor amongst the Klik'ktt Hive." The changeling warrior buzzed his wings and bared his fangs in what Twilight thought was a grin. "There has been talk that a new queen would be rising into the Trinity and we believe that must be you, Apprentice of the shadow king."

Sombra looked like someone had just smacked him over the back of the head .The changelings buzzed with what was definitely amusement, and Twilight was still trying to process what precisely was going on. Luckily, the changelings were already stepping in to help her mind along. "We have been seeking a new queen for Hive Klik'ktt. We hope you shall keep it in your thoughts, Mistress Hecate." Then the trio buzzed off back to the camps, leaving two upright ponies looking stunned, and one pony still lying on the ground and panting for breath.

Sombra spoke first, his eyes lighting up, and an expression of humor and mischief spreading onto his face. "Apprentice, let us not mention to the Queen that the changeling hives are already propositioning you, shall we?" He almost did a little skip in place, laughing joyfully. "Oh but that was a splendid display, Apprentice! Well done." He actually clapped his hooves together, grinning toothily. "However, this was but your first test."

Twilight balked and whipped her head towards Sombra. "First Test? What the buck does that mean?" Twilight heard the words snarl out of her mouth, and felt shocked. Did...was that me? That didn't sound like me... or had it? There was rage bubbling up in her soul, leftovers from her obedience spell. "I told you not to hide things from me, Teacher." It had felt good to stand up to him, felt good to express her power. Yeah...that felt good to show Mister teeth that I'm not going to let him lead me around like Celestia did.

Sombra chuckled softly. "Good...Let your emotions feed your power.." His eyes gleamed deep emerald and stared daggers at her. "You wanted to know freedom. Your trials begin now. With each step, you will come closer to your goal. You have shown you can command the faithful. Now, you will prove you can command the one who leads them.." Sombra pointed his hoof at the tomb, his hoof glowing with restrained power.

"She awaits you inside, Apprentice. She has been waiting for this meeting for some time"

~~~~~~

Twilight quietly checked on Lilith, examining her with her new sight. She's exhausted for the moment, but she will recover swiftly. She eyeballed one of the nearby camps, her voice snapping out. "You there! The unicorns! Tend to the First Acolyte," Three cloaked unicorns jumped from being startled, but quickly moved Lilith over to a softer resting place on the grass.

Twilight stood and strode towards the doors of the Tomb - She could feel the powerful Dissonance running through every inch of the brick and mortar in this place. It welcomed her, its doors sliding open at her approach. Her hoofs took a step upon the black granite of the tomb interior, and slowly carried Twilight down the stairs, deeper and deeper into the earth.

Somehow, her hooves knew where she was going. She turned at the first doorway, pushing it boldly open without any thought as to what might be behind it. Within, a single black cloaked pony stood in front of a book stand and a blazing fireplace. On the stand a tome covered in black cloth sat, edged in gleaming gold stitching. The room held a simple but comfortable looking bed, and sets of dressers and cabinets. An office desk sat gleaming in old oak in one corner of the room, papers scattered about the top.

The Black cloaked pony closed the book on the stand quietly, lifting her hooded head up. As she began to speak, Twilight felt a nagging feeling about the voice, "When I was a filly, all I could think about was serving the Princess. I dedicated my foalhood to learning everything I could about becoming the perfect administrator. I studied the art of governance and the great politicians of old." Twilight's ears were perked forward. She could swear she knew this pony, but how?

The mare kept speaking, still facing away from Twilight. "I thought I could rise to become the Chancellor of Canterlot. Why not, thought I? I knew every nuance of the law, and every secret of governing. I studied Marechiavelli and Hockraties. Trotsky and Voltmare. Canter and Hobbles." The female mare took a deep shuddering breath and continued. "I was the perfect student of Harmony. I followed the code in word and deed. When I was elected to my first post as Mayor, I had thought my future was bright."

Her hood slowly fell back from her head, revealing the light gray mane. Her voice had turned bitter and angry, "Yet all of my work had been in vain. I was told that my place in Harmony was here. To serve these few ponies, and these few ponies alone. I would never rise any further. All of my studying meant nothing. I meant nothing." Her voice slowly descended in tone, and Twilight's eyes started to widen as she put the pieces together.

"The princess herself rebuffed my pleas for a chance to prove myself." her voice had slowly melted into a tone of depression and sadness. "I was not a noble. I had no family name. I had no funds to buy my way into the echelons of society. I could see the pity in her eyes when I spoke of all that I had done, all I had learned."

The cream coated earth pony turned towards Twilight, spectacles flashing in the firelight. "She said to me, 'Harmony has chosen your place, Mayor Mare. It is not a mighty place, but it is an important one all the same.' And then dismissed me from court. I was never permitted back." Twilight stared, her jaw dropped in disbelief. No way. This can’t be. This is impossible!

The gray maned mayor of ponyville slowly walked towards Twilight, her blue eyes gentle behind her glasses. "I tried, dear Twilight. I truly did. I devoted myself to my ponies, and my town. Yet no one here shared my learning, no one here cared a whit for my knowledge. I grew bitter and lonely and resentful. What made me less worthy to stand amidst the powerful? My blood." She spat the word out, eyes narrowed.

"My lineage was insufficient. I vowed to bring them down, Twilight. I seized the books of the precious few Dissonance cultists that lived on the edges of the town. I studied them day and night. I used my authority to seize more such contraband from traveling traders and merchants." the Mayor's eyes blazed with passion, her tone slowly rising to the same confident tone Twilight had often heard in her speeches.

"I grew my knowledge and drew others like me to my cause. In time, I learned of thousands of little cells of cultists living all over Equestria. Scattered and disorganized, they lacked a leader strong enough to weld them together. I knew then that I had found my calling."

The Mayor smiled, broadly and proudly - all trace of her gentleness gone from her gaze." One by one, under the guise of diplomatic visits and vacations I brought each cult under my direction." The mayor lifted up her head proudly for a moment, then dropped it to look Twilight straight into her eyes. Twilight was still shocked, trying to process this impossible turn of events as the mayor continued to speak "It took every ounce of my knowledge, every bit of my willpower - but I did it. I had finally found a use for all of my ambition and drive. All of my knowledge had use. I began to grow the cult. I began to gather more unto the Faithful. I knew the day would come and the Trinity would return. And I would be ready for that day."

Her eyes closed, and a rush of whispered words came from her mouth. "And so here you are, Twilight Sparkle. Hecate of the Faithful. Apprentice to the King." The mayor's voice was tired, but...satisfied. "You will take up the mantle of my life's work, and you shall lead the Faithful as the last piece of the trinity." Her blue eyes opened again, weariness evident in every line of her body.

Twilight rallied her thoughts, her flank gently hitting the stone floor and eliciting a chuckle from the Mayor. "You...you've been a cultist this entire time?" Twilight's voice squeaked as she rubbed at her horn with a hoof. "Mayor Mare, I suspected a lot of ponies but..." she shook her head slowly, staring at the calm earth pony before her. "Not you. Never you."

The Mayor's lips dimpled in a smile. "That was the point, Twilight. I was ever the dedicated public servant. I never showed a single hair out of place. I was ineffectual enough not to attract attention, and never used my resources to expand my public power. I told you, I studied from the greatest pony philosophers in history." She tossed her grey mane back and gave Twilight a saucy sort of look. "They thought me a bumbling fool, Twilight. It is precisely what I wanted them to think."

Twilight shook her head for a moment, staring at her in awe. "But.." Twilight snapped her mouth shut, biting at her lip. How could I possibly take over from somepony like that? She's had decades of life to study this sort of thing! I don't know the first thing about politics! The Mayor's eyes crinkled up into a smile, and she was clearly holding back a laugh. Twilight glared. "Look, this hasn't been easy for me, okay? I've had to upend my world view a dozen times in the last three days." She huffed out, crossing her hooves over her chest.

Mayor Mare laughed, but in a gentle way that made Twilight's nerves ease up a little. "My dear child, No two leaders are ever alike. I have led the Faithful through knowledge and trickery. But they will follow you because of your Power." The mayor placed both hooves on her shoulders. "Dear goddess, Lilith was right. I can sense your strength just by being near you." she shook her mane and gently tugged at Twilight. "Stand up, Apprentice Hecate. Time runs short for us all."

Twilight was pulled to her hooves, and given a satisfied nod from the Mayor who quietly walked back over to the book. "I know you already have a Basis of Dissonance, so I thought you might enjoy something a bit different." She patted the stand, where the black tome lay. "This is my life's work, Twilight Sparkle. Take care of it." Her voice was gentle, and there was a brilliant smile on her face.

Twilight shook her head suddenly, and then went very still. "Wait a minute. What the buck is going on here, Mayor?" Her eyes narrowed, and she could feel the powerful dissonance flow into the Mayor's body. Sense snapped back into Twilight, and she nodded slowly. "This is the test." she stated, feeling tension start to grow inside her. "I need to challenge you."

Mayor Mare smiled, still as gentle as before. Yet Twilight could sense she was tense, expectant. "Yes. The King and The Queen have their cults, Apprentice. They already have many who follow them. You however, do not. If you would stand amongst them as an equal, you must take a cult of your own." The mayor tossed her mane, a proud smile on her lips. "Fortunately for you, there is a powerful cult waiting to be seized right in front of you."

Twilight slowly began to take a step forward, then another. "It won’t be quite that simple, of course." Twilight murmured, calling upon the strength of Dissonance for herself. "That's the way this works. I'm going to have to force you to acknowledge my power." Her eyes met Mayor Mares, and there was the briefest of nods. "There is no guarantee it will end well for you either."

The Mayor shook her head at that, and Twilight took a deep breath. "Sombra wants to see if I'll kill you." The mayor looked oddly proud at that, and nodded again. Twilight stalked a step closer, knowing somehow that this was the proper place to stand. "I won’t kill you, Mayor Mare. Not if I can help it." Twilight grasped Dissonance with every bit of her soul that she could.

The Mayor's smile was sad, and power blazed from her like a beacon. "You may not have a choice, Apprentice." Twilight felt the magic coalesce at her horn, building within her like a tidal wave slowly cresting over the beach. The fireplace suddenly snuffed out, leaving the pair of them in pitch darkness save for two pairs of blazing green eyes and living shadows.

Twilight focused for a moment. Harmony is a Lie, there is only Passion. "You will..." Her voice snarled, and suddenly a foot thick column of light erupted from her horn as her words screamed in the darkness. "BE OBEDIENT!" The mayor's eyes went wide in pure terror as the column struck her in the chest, Twilight pouring every ounce of her power into the connection. I will not kill. I Will not kill you, Mayor. I will not give that bastard the satisfaction.

But the Mayor's power was far greater than she had ever faced before. Hundreds of thousands of cultists stood behind her, and she'd had decades of experience learning how to draw from their power. Twilight felt their powers match one another in midair, as though she could not complete the full connection to the mayor. The column of light poured out of her horn while the Mayor stood with her hooves extended towards it, a bright shield of gold holding it back.

This isn't going to work...she's got too many followers. Twilight panted, drawing deeper into Dissonance, and feeling a burning pain of something deep in her body. I'm drawing so much of the power it's...changing me... She grit her teeth, and felt what might have been fangs growing from her incisors. Twilight growled like an animal and poured in more power, slowly driving the shield back. If I can’t break the shield, It's going to destroy her!

Twilight's thought were running wild, trying to find some way to exploit the situation. Yet this was nothing but a show of pure power. There were no fancy spell works here, no theories. This was as primitive and primal as magical expression got. Twilight felt her despair feed into the magic, making it stronger and stronger. The mayor's golden shield began to crack, and Twilight could see Mayor Mare standing there behind her shield, a slight smile on her face and her eyes closed. She was expecting death. She was welcoming it.

NO! her thoughts shouted, and from somewhere, she felt a hoof grasp her shoulder. Yet there was nopony else in the room, except...Lilith! Sure enough, A ghostly unicorn settled down next to her, wrapping her hooves around Twilight's shoulders. "Hush Mistress. I told you. You will never be alone." Twilight felt new strength suddenly surge into her horn - and the Mayors eyes snapped open in shock.

The mayor cried something out, and the shield shattered, throwing the Mayor up against the stone wall of the room over the Fireplace. The fireplace burst into life once again as green energy exploded out of Twilight's hooves and eyes, scattering the papers on the desk across the room.

Twilight could see a massive shadowy tendril reach from within her soul and sink itself directly into the Mayor, pouring out of the Mayor's body in thousands of lesser strands which streaked out of the fortress in every direction. The Mayor's mouth was hanging open in a wordless cry, green energy pouring out of her eyes and mouth.

A Few moments later, she slowly sank to the floor in front of the blazing fireplace, her hooves shaking and her breathing coming in fast pants.

Twilight had only enough time to note that the Mayor was still alive before she once again collapsed to the floor, blacking out instantly.

"Never alone, Mistress. Never again."

~~~~~~

Sombra stalked across the field to where the lavender pink unicorn sat alone at a fire, warming her hooves. His iron clad boots could not stomp against the grassy ground, but he certainly made a good effort of it. He stopped a few feet away and blew green energy out of his nostrils. "I should have known one of you would be interfering." He snarled, his voice like razor wire.

Lilith smiled faintly and rubbed her hooves together. "Why are you so upset, King Sombra? I am on your side." She turned to gaze at him with guileless blue eyes. "I have left the road, and now walk the True Path. I had thought you would be celebrating." Her eyes twinkled with mischief. "Oh, and it is good to see you again too."

Sombra stalked around the fire to glare at her from the front, shoving aside the log where Ponies had been sitting earlier. "This is one of your schemes again. Your tricks." He slammed a hoof into the ground next to the camp fire, shadows billowing out of it.

Lilith laughed and went back to warming her hooves. "No tricks, King Sombra. No schemes. The world needs her to fall." Her face took on a deep sadness, a look of mourning. "Just as the world needs me to follow her." Her head drooped down and she placed her hooves around her, squeezing tightly. "Use your senses, King. You know I cannot lie about the power I wield."

Sombra frowned and his eyes flared up with bright green flames. For a brief moment he only stared, and then bit off a choking sound. Sombra sat down heavily, staring in disbelief. "By Dissonance. Are things truly that dire?" His voice had gone quiet, as serious as he ever was.

Lilith nodded, gently placing her hooves up to the fire again. "Yes. Celestia has gone too far this time. She sought to slay dissonance itself. She has taken her war so far that the world has created that incredible filly in backlash." She shook her head, gently. "That poor girl. She does not deserve this fate. " She looked up at Sombra, eyes full of ancient sadness. "Will you tell her?"

Sombra hesitated for a moment, then shook his head. "If anypony is to tell her, it shall be you. I will claim ignorance." He shook his head as his power grasped his iron crown and pulled it off his head, laying it next to him. "The Trinity truly shall be born again. With you at her side, I need not fear that Chrysalis will try to dominate her." He paused, then laughed gently. "Perhaps I should worry the opposite now." Sombra focused his gaze on the unicorn in front of him and growled. "I had wondered how she walked so swiftly down the path. "

Lilith beamed at him, toying with a stick in her hooves. "I have not done much. I simply give her a little push in the right direction. She truly is a born prodigy, Sombra. She simply needs to be shown the truth of her own soul. " Lilith giggled softly. "And I must admit, her magic is..." She licked at her lips saucily, shivering in reaction. "I fear she will addict me to it at this rate." She grinned then. "She is going to awaken soon. You should prepare the final trial for her." Lilith tossed the stick into the fire, and went back to warming it with her hooves.

Sombra nodded and stood, placing his crown back on his head. He began to walk away from the fire before pausing and turning back towards her. "I just had a thought." Sombra mused, turning on the spot with a sly smile. "Lilith. Really, now. The Temptress?" He smirked, a glimmer of humor in his eyes. "And I thought Somber Gaze was paper thin." He tossed his mane back and laughed as he trotted towards the tomb, a great deal happier than he had been moments before.

Lilith quietly lifted a leaf from the fire pit with her magic, watching as the fire slowly began to spread. She closed her eyes, and spoke a little prayer for her new Mistress. Harmony, guide her steps. Dissonance, shield her heart. May she know peace, love, and freedom. And if the Goddess has any mercy, may we both one day walk the Middle Road together.

Lilith quietly pressed her hooves together, thinking of all that had already happened. She smiled a little as she felt Twilight's mind slowly awaken, taking stock of all the new thoughts and powers which were coming to her.

"Do not worry Mistress." Lilith whispered into the fire. "I shall make sure that you enjoy what you must become. It is the very least that I can do...”