• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 15,069 Views, 1,210 Comments

A Heart So Cold - Onomonopia



What is a person without purpose? Without anything to cherish? What is a person whose heart is ice?

  • ...
74
 1,210
 15,069

No Other Choice

"Why do they continue to bother me?" Freeze asked no one as he headed back to the lab, wondering why he had bothered to let them escape this time alive. He had given them a chance to flee but they came back to try and interfere with mission. He should just go outside and freeze every last one of them. 'At least I will be alone for a while,' he thought to himself as he did the best he could to use the spare parts to create something that barely looked like a computer. His suit's computer was good, but it was only created to monitor his suit.

'From what I could see, Cadence is not doing too well,' he thought as he began trying to make a hard drive, but none of the substitutes for computer pieces he tried work, continuing to frustrate him. 'Maybe then they will leave me to my work, which has been less than stellar at the moment. Curse this backwards planet, why could I have not been stuck someplace else that might have technology that I could use?' He frowned at that thought as he threw the failed tech across the room, sitting down in a chair and placing his hands under his helmet, lost deep in thought as to how he should proceed.

'If there are any more suitable substitutes for pieces of a computer, I cannot find them here,' he thought to himself with increasing frustration. 'Maybe I can intimidate the ponies enough so they will lead me to where the pieces are...no, they could use that as a chance to entrap me and prevent me from achieving my goal. The cure for Nora. That is all that matters.'

'So how long will you continue to live in that past?' Freeze almost shot out of his chair immediately, but he forced himself to be calm as he slowly stood up and looked around for the voice. If the owner of the voice had been planning to attack him, then it would have done so without making itself known. But he found as he scanned the room, with both his eyes and his thermal, he could not find the source of the voice.

"That is an impressive camouflage if it can keep you hidden from my sensors," he said to the voice, waiting for it to speak again so he could get a better read on its position. "Would you please reveal yourself? I do not like to talk to voices without a body as that further proves my theory that I am crazy." The voice remained silent, causing Freeze to tighten his frown before pointing his arms out. "Alright, I did not want to resort to this, but if you do not reveal yourself I will be talking to a pony entombed in ice. Where are you?" As soon as he finished saying this, the air in front of him shimmered and a pony in silver appeared before him. She had on a cloak that made it hard to see his face, but his sensors detected no life under the silver cloak.

'I can see in your face that you are confused by my appearance, but I assure you that I am not entirely dead,' the silver hooded pony said to him, noticing that Freeze did not lower his arms despite her having revealed herself. 'You may put your arms down; your ice will not be able to touch me.'

"Do not temp me to put that theory to the test," Freeze said without emotion, though he was curious as to what she was. His sensors, while picking up no signs of life, detected a large form of energy coming off of her, but it didn't look like any energy that he had seen before. And he hated unknown variables. "I know not what kind of being you are, but I will advise you now not to cross me or try to interfere with my work. I have killed others who have tried to do the same."

'You are a strange one Freeze, stranger than the others I have met,' the silver mare said to him as she got closer, Freeze keeping an arm pointed at her at all times. 'Your goals, while noble, result in not only the destruction of those around you, but most often times yourself as well. How many times have you 'died' now?'

"The number is not important," Freeze said. "And the number of times I die is even less significant as long as I achieve my goals in the end."

'Curing your wife," the silver mare said with a small shake of her head. 'How long do you plan on living in the past Freeze...if you can call what you're doing living.' Freeze never got a chance to respond as a flash of silver went off, the mare gone when he could see again. With a shake of his head he went over to the snow globe that rested on a table, picking up the icicle that was vaguely starting to resemble a beautiful lady.

|\/|
|/\|

In the Crystal Empire hospital, the mane six and the princesses sat in chairs outside of the room where Cadence was being looked after, while Shining Armor paced back and forth across the hallway. They had been there for hours and twice more doctors had been called in to look at her, which was straining Shining's nerves to their breaking point.

"She's going to be okay brother, just wait," Twilight said as she got up to comfort her brother, but he looked at her with fear in desperation in his eyes as he shook his head.

"No she won't. This isn't the first time we've been here Twilight and that was after she collapsed the first time," Shining said with absolute fear in his voice. "She was using the crystal hearts power to help her to move around, but then Freeze showed up and stole that! Then there's the medicine that the doctors gave her that was supposed to keep these symptoms at bay, yet she's only been getting worse. I'm afraid they're both going to die!" Twilight wrapped her hooves around her brother’s neck as he did his best to keep himself from shaking, while the others talked amongst themselves.

"I can't believe Cadence has been this sick and she refused to tell us," Luna whispered to her sister, Celestia nodding in agreement. "Maybe if she had, we could have had Canterlot's best to look after her."

"It won't do us any good now, not from the way the doctors have been reacting," Celestia said with a worried frown, having seen the looks on the doctor’s faces and knowing that there could not be good news. "I just pray that they have something that can keep her alive...and even if she does pull through, we still have that iceman in the castle that we will eventually need to remove."

"Indeed. He is a nasty one." All other conversations stopped as one of the doctors exited the room that Cadence was in and looked around at all of them, Shining breaking free of his sisters grasp as he ran over to the doctor while holding on to desperate hope.

"Doctor! Is she...?" Shining Armor's face fell as the doctor shook his head, the guard collapsing to the floor as he stared at it in shock.

"We don't know what's wrong with her, it's like a dieses that we have never seen before," the doctor said as he patted Shining on the back. "None of the medicines are working and it only seems to be getting worse. She doesn't have long at this rate."

"What about the baby?" Shining asked in a crushed voice, not able to look up to see the doctor shake his head again.

"Whether we can save it or not at this point is fifty fifty," he said as he moved to the side to let Shining into the room. "She's awake, but the pain medicine has made her a bit out of it. I think that you should still see her." Shining nodded weakly as he walked inside, the other ponies and the princesses following him inside to see Cadence lying on the bed, sweat running down her face as she looked around the room in a dazed state. She smiled weakly when she saw Shining and rubbed her head against his hoof when he placed it on the bed, before coughing with pain and tears running down her face.

"There has to be something I can do," Shining whispered to himself as he placed his head against hers, waiting for the coughing to stop.
"I know that there's no cure, but there has to be something." No pony said anything for the longest time, the only sound in the room being Cadence's coughing, until Fluttershy weakly spoke up.

"Maybe we could ask Mr. Freeze to help?" All of the ponies turned to face her as she said this, causing her to hide behind her mane. If Shining hadn't been so devastated by what Cadence was going through he probably would have laughed at that idea. Now all he could do was glare at Fluttershy before turning back to his wife.

"Fluttershy, what are you thinking?!" Twilight half yelled as she walked over to her friend, who was still hiding behind her mane. "You are talking about the being that kicked Cadence and Shining out of their home and threatened to KILL them! How or why would he help us?!"

"Um..."

"I have to agree with Twilight on this one, this guy is bad news!" Rainbow said as she walked over to Shy, who hid behind her mane even more. "He'll try to kill us if we step hoof in there!"

"Yes, but-"

"He's bad news, that's all ah need to know about him," Applejack said with scorn. "We can't trust him."

"But do we have any other options?" Fluttershy said weakly, but it was enough to knock the angry looks off of all the other ponies. "The doctors said that there is nothing else they can do for Cadence and it's most likely that she will die under their care. But Mr. Freeze said that he was a doctor of sorts and he isn't from around here, at least I don't think so, so he might know something that can save her. He's the only chance we've got." The ponies all looked at each other uncomfortably, but they said nothing against her plan. "I know that he'll want something in return if he can do it, but-"

"But Cadence's life is worth any cost," Shining said as he got up. "And that iceman jerk might be her only chance. We'll go see him." none of the other ponies dared to argue against Shining in the state he was in, so they all followed him out of the hospital, except for the princesses who stayed behind with Cadence.

"Think they can convince Freeze to help?" Luna asked her sister. "And even if they do, think he can?"

"We can only hope," Celestia said in reply.

|\/|
|/\|

Freeze was really starting to get ticked off by the ponies. A crowd had formed outside of the palace and had been yelling and throwing things at the iced over door for the better part of an hour, only going away when he fired bursts of his freeze ray at them, hitting some but most escaped. However, the afternoon was not lost as he had managed to get the laboratory up to at least a small medical room, but from there he would only make it better. He had just placed the snow globe down and was about to get back to work on the cryo tube when he heard voices from the throne room. With a growl, he stalked out of the lab and entered the throne room, where he found the ponies from earlier minus the princess.

"You fools never learn," he growled as he pointed both his arms at the ponies, but to his surprise Shining Armor walked right up to him and, after a moment of pain in his eyes, bowed down in front of Freeze. "If you are trying to surrender, don't bother. I warned you what would happened if you came back," Freeze threatened as he lowered his freeze rays, but the pony didn't move.

"I didn't come here to surrender," Shining said in a tone that made Freeze lower his arms slightly and allowed him to look right into Shining's pained eyes as he looked up at Freeze. "I need your help."