• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 15,069 Views, 1,210 Comments

A Heart So Cold - Onomonopia



What is a person without purpose? Without anything to cherish? What is a person whose heart is ice?

  • ...
74
 1,210
 15,069

Frozen In Their Tracks

Freeze had never noticed that a day had nearly passed as he spent most of it in deep research, finding out as much about the material that he was using and how it would work with the procedures that he had used in the past. It had taken him most of the day simply to learn how to use some of the ponies equipment and he found to his annoyance that there were certain items that seemed to run on the magic that the unicorns used, making them inaccessible to him.

"But I have done greater with far less," he said to himself as he began to perform work on the chemicals that he had decided to test first, worrying about the tools that he couldn't use later. The guards in the cells were beginning to get on his nerves however and he was starting to think that he should follow out on his threat and dispose of one of them. 'It would simply be a waste of my time,' he eventually decided as he walked through the palace, looking for materials that he needed to create a miniature cryolab, something that he would need if he was to continue his research.

'However, it seems that some of the materials that I need are not within this palace,' he thought to himself as he lifted a good chunk of metal onto his shoulder as he headed back to his lab as well as carrying the closest thing he could find to a welding torch in his other hand, the extra weight causing the ice he stepped on to shatter. 'It would be suicide to try and get out there; especially since the ponies all seem to be amassing a force outside. I will need to deal with that later.' Once he was back within the laboratory (which he found to be almost as large as a few warehouses he had worked in), he placed the metal on the ground in the center of the room and began to work on it, knowing that it would be the base for his cryotube.

'But I will need more than this,' he thought to himself as he welded it, slowly trying to get it to form the shape he wanted. He had the memory of how to build these etched into his mind, but it was a slow process without the right tools or help. Taking a momentary break from his work, he checked the power levels of his suit to see that they still read one hundred percent. 'I wonder what kind of energy source this heart is? No energy I have used in the past has kept my suit at one hundred this long. Maybe if I feel like it I will explore what this item is. But the supplies I need are my most pressing concern at the moment.'

He headed down back into the room with all of the odd items that included the mirror and began to look through the supplies for what he needed, the cold silence reminding him of the years he had spent in storage himself, only to be brought back from the dead as an experiment for a sick plan.

'They deserved to die for what they did to me,' Freeze thought to himself with a cold fury running through him, the battle with the radiation monster surfacing to his mind and he felt the burns as if they happened yesterday. But with no way for him to tell how long he had been dead, if he was even dead at all, it could have been yesterday for all he knew. He gathered a few more supplies and began to head back to the laboratory, barely even noticing that it was night out as he passed by a window. He did notice that some of the guards had regained their courage in the short time since their friend had thawed.

"Hey monster! I've got something I want to say to you!" he heard one of them yell from the cells, Freeze turning towards the cells with deadly intentions. He took a step towards the cells, preparing to carry out his threat, when a shadow fell over him that shook him to the core when he saw it on the ground. It was the shadow of a bat. He spun around and pointed both his arms at where the shadow was coming from, dropping his supplies in the process, only to see that it was a bat in the window, the moon being so bright that the tiny creature cast a large shadow.

'Calm yourself Victor, he is not here,' Freeze thought to himself as he lowered his arms, picking up the supplies that he had dropped as he calmed himself. 'The Batman could not possibly know that you survived and even if he did, there is little chance that he would follow you here,' Freeze thought as he began to walk back towards the laboratory, taking one last look to where the guards were yelling at him before he turned and moved on. 'All that matters is your work. Nothing else must distract you.'

His path took him by the throne room, giving him a moment to pause as he remembered the battle with the two ponies that he had earlier that day. He wondered a bit how their rulers came into power and why they seemed more powerful than the other unicorns he had fought. Cadence had power, that much he knew, but yet she seemed weakened by something, her husband had confirmed that for Freeze. Yet she had still fought against him, despite both of them knowing that he was the superior foe.

'They must all be crazy,' he silently thought to himself as he headed back to the lab, walking in and placing the supplies on the large lab table near the center of the room, before moving to his side project on one of the smaller tables. On it was the snow globe, the glass covering resting besides it on the table and sitting beside that was the icicle, which had begun to take on a bit of a shape. 'But he was willing to die to defend her, even if I was superior,' Freeze thought to himself as he picked up the icicle and began to work on it again, painstakingly carving away slowly. 'I am the same way.'

|\/|
|/\|

The sun had only just begun to rise on the horizon when freeze had decided that he had done enough work on the tube, giving him some time to look over the books on medical knowledge that he had taken to see if any of the medical practices could be incorporated into his practice. While nothing really jumped out at him, he did find an interesting page on a flower that was rumored to cure any dieses if mixed properly with medicine.

'But this flower is practically extinct,' he thought to himself as he closed the book and tossed it to the side, nothing left to be learned from it. 'And even if it wasn't, I would have to journey into the deep south to find it and I highly doubt that those ponies would let me anywhere near a flower as powerful as that, let alone leave the palace.' He placed something he had been working on the burner and turned to leave the room, nothing he could do for an hour until it began to heat.

'The hostages probably need to be fed,' he thought as he began to head to the throne room, the fastest way to the kitchen from the lab, when he heard the sounds of ice being shattered and the sounds of multiple hooves running through the palace. 'Those fools truly do not learn. This time I will not be so nice.' He stopped in the throne room and stood in front of the throne with his hands clasped behind his back, staring at the door as he waited for the group to come to him. The door was blasted off its hinges and flew by him, Freeze not bothering to move as a group of ponies ran inside.

"Greetings," he said to them in his emotionless voice, his eyes looking over the group with interest. There were four of the Pegasus with wings now of varying colors and sizes, though the darker one glared at him the hardest. There was also a white unicorn that looked at him with disgust, an orange and a rainbow one that both gave him a similar glare. The pink one barely paid attention to him as she looked around the room while a yellow one hid behind her friends. "Shining Armor. Cadence. Why did you not listen to my warning last time?"

"Silence creature," the tall, white one spat as she stepped forward, Freeze noticing that she was almost as tall as him. "I have been informed of what you have done here and I am here to put a stop to it!"

"I had come to assume that you animals were somewhat intelligent. Cleary I was mistaken. If you have heard what happened, then you must know what I am capable of," Freeze said without emotion, causing the ponies to look at him uncomfortably. The white one prepared to fire a blast of energy from her horn, Freeze moving his arms to his side with white mist coming off around his hands.

"Before I finish this, Freeze, why do you want to rule the Crystal Empire?" the white pony asked, only for her and all the other ponies to be surprised by a single chuckle he let out.

"I have no intention of ruling over animals," he said in his cold tone, but noticing that his words caused the ponies to look at him with surprise. "My only goal is to continue my research and finish my project. I am indeed the monster you friend has described, but I am also a scientist and a doctor. If your ponies wish to rule here, I have no quarrel." Then he lifted his arm and pointed it at the group. "But if they seek to hinder me in any way, as they have, I will freeze them solid."

"Then we have no choice," the darker one on her left said as she stepped forward, the other princesses (he assumed the Pegasus unicorns were all princesses) following her lead. Freeze said nothing, though he pointed both arms at them and waited for them to make the first move. He knew that the heart within him would protect him from their energy attacks and he could more than over power them. Then something happened that none of them were expecting. Cadence took a step forward towards him and then collapsed onto her face.

"Cadence!" Shining Armor yelled as he rushed to her side, everyone stopping the soon to be fight as he tried to awaken her to no avail. Shining Armor looked to the other princesses in desperation and the white one looked from her to Freeze, who still hadn't moved.

"Twilight, take Cadence and Shining Armor and get them out of here!" the white one yelled at the purple one.

"But princess..." the one called Twilight tried to argue, but a look from Celestia silenced her. Twilight wrapped Shining Armor and Cadence in what Freeze was now certain was magic and vanished in a flash. Then Celestia turned back to him with a growl, the other princesses standing beside her with a growl.

"Now then Freeze, we will continue where we left off," Celestia said. Freeze realized that he had been away from his beaker for a while and decided that this trifling fight wasn't worth his time, so he decided to use his trump card.

"Actually, we will not," he said in a matter of fact tone as he lowered his arms, confusing the ponies that had remained behind. "It has just crossed my mind that I still have three guards frozen in the dungeon and I will kill them if you and the other ponies do not leave this palace immediately."

"You cannot kill them from here and we will not let you go past!" the dark one yelled as the rainbow one zipped by him and placed herself at the door to the dungeon, smiling at him with rage in her eyes. The ponies thought they had defeated him, only to see him shake his head within his helmet.

"Fools," he said before he pointed his arm at the throne and froze it, the ponies looking on in shock as he then blasted it apart with a blast of sound. He then turned back to the dumbstruck princesses, who glared at him without the same fire in their eyes that had been there a moment before. "I do not need to be in the same room to kill them."

"You're bluffing," Celestia said, but then Freeze scared her by letting the smallest of smiles out.

"Is that a risk you're willing to take?" he asked her, reading the defeat in her eyes. "But I will release two of them if you leave now. Your choice." She looked like she wanted to fight, but then she hung her head in defeat and motioned for the rainbow one to join her side, the rainbow one doing so reluctantly. She then said to the others that they were leaving and they all turned to leave, the yellow one looking back at him with pain in her eyes.

"If you're a doctor, then why are you causing so much pain?" she asked in with eyes that would have melted the coldest of hearts. It was too bad for her that Freeze's heart was dead.

"I have my reasons," he said to with a glare. "Now out." She turned away and left with the others, though Freeze knew that this was a temporary retreat and he would be seeing them again. Once they vanished in a flash of light, he turned to go back to the burner, thinking of what he would do the next time they showed up. He kept his word and released two of the guards, though he kept the one with the foal frozen for leverage. He then walked back into the lab, taking the flask off the burner and placing it off the table for later as he walked over to the snow globe. The icicle besides it was beginning to take on a more human shape, a shape that was the only thing that could soften his coldness.

"Soon Nora, soon I will have the cure for you," he said to himself as he sat down and continued to chip away at the ice.