• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 15,069 Views, 1,210 Comments

A Heart So Cold - Onomonopia



What is a person without purpose? Without anything to cherish? What is a person whose heart is ice?

  • ...
74
 1,210
 15,069

Chilled to the Bone

"Just what are you anyway?" the pink one asked as she tried to stand up off of her throne, but she staggered weakly and sat back down again. Freeze made a mental note of this as the white one slowly backed up to her side, whispering to her with worry on his face before the pink one pushed him aside and stood up straight, but Victor could still see the pain in her eyes. "I believed I asked you a question, creature?"

"And I believe it is custom," Freeze replied in his cold, mechanical voice, a voice that caused both of the ponies to look at him with shock and a bit of fear. "That one should introduce themselves first before they try to force another to do so. Not that it matters to me, for if you try anything all you will be to me is a pair of ice sculptures."

"Oh that is it!" the white one said with a rage as he went to fire his energy at Freeze, but the pink one held out a hoof to stop him, narrowing her eyes at Freeze.

"I am Princess Mi Amore Cadenza," the pink one said with regality and pride, but she was looking over Freeze's suit with a fear of the unknown. She had never seen a suit like it before and the messenger that had come to her only minutes before had said that it shrugged of spells and spears like they were nothing, not to mention that the creature seemed to have ice spells that she had never thought possible. Freezing a pony was easy, but it took a lot of magic to do so. But this creature had fired it off left and right without so much as slowing down. "But everypony calls me Cadence. This is the Captain of the Guard, Shining Armor. Now I ask again, what do you want and what are you?"

"I am Victor Fries," Mr. Freeze said in an emotionless tone as he looked around the room. Strong interior, well protected against outside assault. This place would protect him for the time being. And with that thought he pointed both of his arms at the two. "But Mr. Freeze will work fine. And I do not have to explain myself to animals, no matter how smart they may think they are. All you need to know is that I need a place to protect me from the rabble outside and to finish my research. Care to step out?"

Cadence narrowed her eyes at him, but she gritted her teeth once and held a hoof to her head, Shining Armor once again running to her side and confirming that he wasn't just the Captain of the Guard. “You destroy my home and attack my people, then you have the gall to ask for my own home?" Cadence asked with fury.

"Your guards attacked me. I defended myself and showed what happens when you fight me," Freeze emotionless replied. "And I am not asking. The ending to this will be the same either way, but there are two paths you can take and I am trying to be civil. It will work better for all of us if you do this peacefully."

"What do you want, the throne?" Shining Armor asked him in a rage, charging up his magic. "And what is this research?"

"I care not for the throne, but I need a base to find out where I am," he said coldly as he began to power up his freeze rays, knowing where this was going. "And as I said before, I do not explain my intentions to animals."

"We will never surrender the Crystal Empire to you!" he yelled as he jumped from his wife's side and began towards Mr. Freeze

"Then you brought this upon yourself," Freeze muttered before firing. To Freeze's moderate surprise, he found this pony much faster than the others and he was able to dodge the blasts while getting closer. Armor fired a beam of energy into Freeze's chest, but a combination of his advanced armor and the heart within him caused the spell to have no effect. The two hooves that Shining placed into Freeze's chest did knock him over however.

"Shining Armor, wait!" Cadence yelled as she unfolded her wings (something that Freeze had not seen on her) as she tried to enter the battle, but she began to cough again and fell over weakly. Shining Armor stopped his attack on Freeze to place himself between the cold man and the princess.

"Cadence, you have to get out here. You're far too sick to be this close to battle!" he yelled out as he put up a protective shield that Freeze found, to his annoyance, protected them from his freeze blasts. While the shield was up, Shining ran to his wife and helped her up. Once she was on her hooves, Freeze could see that she was a bit larger than he had originally thought, but he could make no further observations as Shining lowered his shield and began to fire at Freeze again. But Freeze knew that he had already won, since Shining was barely focusing on the fight.

"You should focus on the foe in front of you," he said as he fired a beam of ice at Shining while firing his other blast into the ground at their hooves, freezing the ground and causing the couple to slip and fall, the ice beginning to cling to their hooves. As they struggled to get up on the ice, Freeze began to walk towards them, his heavy boots crushing the ice under his feet and allowing him to walk right up to the pair with no effort. He swatted Shining to the ground with a heavy blow before pointing his arms at the two ponies, preparing to freeze the both of them until he looked down at the princess to realize that she wasn't large...she was pregnant. Victor eyes widened for just a moment before he fired at Shining Armor, freezing him.

"NO!" Cadence yelled as she struggled to get up, but Victor put a boot on her wing and pointed his arm at her, his red eyes being all she could see under his helmet.

"Do not bother grieving, he is still alive," he said to her emotionlessly, her eyes widening in surprise. "But not for much longer unless you take him and leave this palace right now. And on your way out, tell all of the guards to not enter this place. Tell them it belongs to Freeze now." When she gave him a look, he pointed his arm at the frozen floor and activated the sonic, shattering it to shards in a second. Then he pointed his arm towards her husband and looked back to her terrified face. "Do I make myself clear?" She said nothing as she used her energy to grab the frozen body of Shining Armor (Freeze beginning to suspect that it wasn't energy that they were using) and she dragged him out of the room, leaving with one last glare at him before she left.

"And with that out of the way," Freeze muttered to himself as he saw her in the streets below. "This place needs to suit me better." He placed both his hands on the ground and fired his ice into them, the ice forming over all of the walls and the floors, leaving the throne room and spreading to the rest of the palace. Outside, Cadence had to watch as her palace was completely frozen over in ice, ice that even the best of unicorns couldn't get through due to the power of the Crystal heart fueling the ice.

"Enjoy your victory now, Freeze," Cadence said with venom as the unicorns began to work on thawing Shining Armor out, Cadence taking this time to write a letter that she sent away in a burst of green fire. "But I’ll enjoy seeing how well you fair against four princesses and the Elements of Harmony."

|\/|
|/\|

Freeze spent the rest of the day removing any and all hindrances within the castle, those being of the guard variety he froze while the regular ponies he allowed to leave the palace as long as they didn't bother to attack him. After a while he sent a message to the guards saying that he had taken some of the guard hostage to dissuade them from trying to attack him, those same guards he allowed to thaw in the palace's prison so they wouldn't cause trouble.

'But why am I bothering to do this?' Victor thought to himself as he exited the last room of the palace, finding some kind of weird mirror inside that he had the oddest desire to shatter. 'I have no purpose for being here nor do I have a purpose for bothering to waste my time with these ponies. What am I doing? I was ready to die and yet I waste my time here. Why am I still here when Nora is-?'

'I never finished the cure for her.' The thought came to him out of nowhere, but that did not take away the significance of the thought as he realized that he had never finished her cure. His one, most important goal in life and he had never achieved it. And that thought gave him purpose again.

His thoughts then began to turn to if the ponies had the material and the science to allow him to continue his work and his thoughts went back to the small library that he had seen within the palace. With a purpose now, he began his march towards the library, taking the shortest route through the dungeon as he had already mapped out the castle within his mind, though he never noticed that he clutched the snow globe in his hand.

"You can't keep us in her forever!" one of the guards yelled at him as he passed, Freeze coming to a stop in front of the bars though he never turned his body or head towards them. "The princesses will come for us! And then you'll get the justice that you deserve!" The guard’s bravery slowly began to drain out of them as Freeze slowly turned his head towards them, his red eyes glaring at them through the helmet that shrouded his face.

"I have just realized an interesting fact," Freeze said to them with no emotion, but that just terrified the three guards even more as he lifted one of his arms and pointed it at the one that had yelled at him. "I realized that I only need one or two hostages to keep the others outside at bay. Not three."

"Wait!" the guards yelled as his eyes widened as he saw the freeze ray start up. "P-please don't kill me! I'll be quiet!"

"Give me one good reason why I should not," Freeze said in a cold tone that caused the other two guards to back away from him.

"P-please guy, I've got a foal, barely a week old," he said with fear in his voice and in his eyes. Victor looked at him for a moment before he fired a blast of ice into the guard, freezing everything but his head within a few seconds. The other guards looked at their friend with fear before looking at Freeze with horror and loathing. "He will live, but I made sure that he will stay quiet. And the same will happen to you two if you do not remain so." They nodded and Freeze continued on his way, making it to the library a minute later. He opened the great doors and looked upon all of the books emotionlessly before he turned to find where the books on dieses were kept.

'Their knowledge is quite advanced for such animals,' he thought to himself when he had taken a number of the books on diseases off the shelves and skimmed through them, finding that they had cures to many of the ailments on Earth that he had researched. But nothing about the dieses that his beloved had suffered from. But there was enough information in here, enough information for him to rebuild what he had accomplished back in Gotham, enough for him to start from scratch. 'It will have to do,' he thought to himself as he tucked a number of the books under his arms and headed out of the library.

'There should be a science wing of this palace back in near the main room,' he thought as he walked through the now frozen halls, preferring the place to be kept at close to freezing incase his new power source decided to fail on him. The only place that wasn't this cold was the prison cells (the ponies were no good to him dead) and the laboratory, in case it had items that needed to be kept at a certain temperature. Once he reached the laboratory (wondering why they had it within their palace) he placed the books down on the nearest table and began to look around at all of the items on the shelves, making notes of them in his suits databanks of what they were.

'Some of these are familiar to me,' he thought as he looked at some tools he had used in the past, before looking down at a blue flower. 'Others are not.' Once he had made a mental note of the items and a list within his computer, he began to search through the books and supplies for what would help him make the cure that he had failed to make. Then, for the first time, he looked down at his right hand and saw the globe in it, making him wonder how he had missed it.

'It is of no matter,' he thought to himself as he created an icicle before taking off the glass and allowing the Crystal Empire to fall to the floor, making room. Then he began to carve away at the icicle, his hands performing the actions he had done dozens of time before. 'I will find a way to cure you my love and no human nor pony will stand in my way. And I will complete my purpose. It is all I have.'