• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 15,069 Views, 1,210 Comments

A Heart So Cold - Onomonopia



What is a person without purpose? Without anything to cherish? What is a person whose heart is ice?

  • ...
74
 1,210
 15,069

A Temporary Heart

"...And you are certain that's what happened?" Twilight asked Fluttershy, who nodded her head slightly as her friends and the other princesses looked at her in shock. The moment Sombra had left, the barrier around the palace had come down and enabled the other ponies to enter. RD and Twilight had checked up on Fluttershy to make sure she was alright while the princesses looked around for Sombra. It wasn't until after Freeze had started to shoot at them for bothering him that they decided to come back to the throne room, where Fluttershy explained to all what had transpired.

"I was there," Fluttershy reminded Twilight in a quiet voice, causing Cadence to seethe with rage.

"I can't believe that ass of a pony is still alive," she growled to herself as she looked out the window to see her kingdom, looking at all of the ponies that had come to the palace when they had heard of Sombra's return. "You think that after being trapped in ice and being blown up he would stay dead, but somehow he just keeps coming back."

"I just can't believe that somepony as heartless as Freeze actually fought him off," Rarity said in disbelief, the other ponies expressing similar thoughts.

"I can't believe that he has the crystal heart inside of him," Cadence said as she looked to the lab with angry eyes. "I knew that he had taken it, but I had no idea where he had put it. But the fact that he's using it for a power source will be his undoing. The crystal heart might be one of the strongest sources of magic in the land, but even it needs to gather its power from something. And the crystal heart draws its power from love, the love I feel for my ponies and in return the love they feel for us. The crystal heart can only be used by someone who feels love or else it will destroy them, like it was supposed to do Sombra," she explained when the other ponies looked to her. "That means when it is with a pony...human such as Freeze, it will fight against him while losing its power, which in turn means that he will lose his power over time. It is a temporary power source for him."

"So all we have to do to defeat him is wait him out?" Celestia asked with a frown. "I do not like that plan, for it gives him too much time to complete whatever he is up to."

"I may not like it either sister, but right now it is the only plan available to us," Luna said to Celestia. "Freeze has proven himself to be our intellectual superior and with the crystal heart inside of him he is immune to our magic. I do not even think he can be teleported now." The four princesses lowered their heads, each in thought of what they should do while the other ponies comforted Fluttershy.

"That was mighty brave of yah standing up to Sombra all by yer lonesome," Applejack said to her, to which she gave AJ a thankful smile.

"How have you been holding up darling?" Rarity asked Fluttershy as she looked the Pegasus over for any sign of injury. "Being stuck in here with that ruffian Freeze and then to be attacked by Sombra cannot be good for your health."

"Well...Sombra was a tough experience, but Freeze...hasn't been that bad," she said weakly, causing all of the ponies to gasp at what she said. "I mean...he can still be cold and mean, but he hasn't hurt me or really said anything to me the entire time I've been here. And he stopped Sombra from killing me, so he hasn't been all bad." Fluttershy thought about what she had just said while her friends tried to make sense of what she had told them, wondering herself why Freeze had been so nice. He had threatened their lives on multiple occasions and even frozen some of them, so his sudden change in attitude didn't make sense to her. 'But all he ever did was threaten. If he wanted to kill us, he would have done so already. And while he has frozen a lot of ponies, all of them were more or less fine when they were thawed out. He did kill a guard...but if he was a true killer why stop there? Why not just kill us all?'

"Hello? You in there Fluttershy?" Pinkie asked as she knocked against the side of her friends head, causing Fluttershy to snap out of her thoughts. "We were asking you if you've seen anything that could be a weakness or a weak spot in Freeze's armor."

"No...Nothing really," Fluttershy said as she thought back to the times she watched him work. If anything, he had only seemed even stronger from the time she spent with him. He could lift heavy things and he didn't seem to need sleep, like he was a total machine. But the one thing that he seemed to care about was the small ice sculpture that he was making, the only time he spoke to her was when she tried to pick it up. "I really don't think that we should bother him until the heart runs out."

"Well, then that has to be the plan for now," Luna said as she walked over to them. "As we have been unable to think of anything else. If all of you are ready to go, we will head to another part of the empire to regroup and talk about what Sombra coming back means." The ponies nodded and wall walked over to Luna, except for Fluttershy who hid behind her mane without moving. "Fluttershy, it is time to leave."

"I'm...staying," she said, getting another gasp out of all of the ponies. "I promised that I would stay here as compensation for Freeze saving Cadence's life and I will hold up my end of the deal. I'm sorry girls, but I can't go." The ponies began to try to talk her out of it, but she held up a hoof gently to silence them. "I'm sorry but I have to stay. You should all probably be going, I doubt Freeze will be in a good mood after today's events." The ponies once again tried to reason with her, but it was clear that she was going to stay. So with heavy hearts they all left their friend trapped with a mad man, Pinkie promising Fluttershy once Freeze was gone she would throw her the biggest welcome back party she had ever seen. Fluttershy watched them go and then turned back to the lab where Freeze was when they were gone, finding him at work once again.

"I never got to say thank you for saving my life," she said to him gently as he worked on the tube, having re-enforced its base and was now working on keep the base from breaking off. "So thank you." He said nothing to her once again and she let out a tiny sigh before walking back over to where he kept the ice sculpture. She was fairly certain now that he was making another human, as the icicle looked very similar to him without the armor, but it also looked different, with long hair and a more beautiful form. "But you never told me why you saved me."

"I do not have to explain my actions to the likes of you," he said in his cold tone without looking at her. "And stay away from that. I will not warn you again." She backed away just as he asked, but she continued to look at him with uncertainty, having no idea what to think of him. She shivered a bit and looked around the room at all the ice, wondering why he bothered to keep it like this.

"Can you at least tell me why you have it so cold in here?"

"I need it cold." She shook her head and decided that she needed some sleep, it having been too long a day to decipher his riddles.

"I'm going to bed," she said softly, leaving the lab without Freeze saying a word to her. "But I wanted to say thank you one more time, just in case you didn't hear me the first time." Once she had left, Freeze looked up from where he had been working to the door, shaking his head at her before he stood up and walked over to the icicle. He picked it up and continued to carve away at it, the ice almost shaped like his beloved.

'I know now why I can put up with them,' he thought while working on the sculpture, making the finishing touches to it. He turned it over in his hand to see the face of his Nora once again, the same face that had made him fall in love with her all those years ago. 'Because it is the only way to create the cure that can save you. That is the only reason.'

'Then why did you protect them from that dark pony?' the sculpture asked him, Freeze saying nothing as it turned its head to look at him. 'You would have had an easier time creating said cure with him in rule, but you chose to help the other ponies that have been bothering you. Why, my dear Victor?'

"I...do not know," he said with no emotion, but Nora made a disappointed noise that she always made when she knew he was lying.

'You do know Victor, but you do not want to admit it. Because if you admit it, then you will have to face the truth that you are ignoring. But you have to overcome your fear of what you ignore or else how can you live?' Freeze closed his eyes and shook his head, Nora looking just as he carved her when he opened his eyes again. He said nothing about what had just occurred, but he walked over to the snow globe and took the top off of it, placing Nora in the center of it before placing the lid back on. He then placed it on the table as the snow began to fall around her, softening his heart for just a moment.

"I do not need to know the truth that I am ignoring," he said to himself as he stared at her beauty. "All I need to know is that I can save you Nora, just as you saved me all those years ago when we first met." He continued to stare at Nora in the snow globe, never noticing the pair of blue eyes that watched through a crack in the lab door or the pony that had heard every word he had spoken to himself. She turned away from the door with a small smile, having at least a small understanding of why Freeze did what he did. And now she knew that he needed help.

|\/|
|/\|

Far off from the main empire, a single dark being floated around his chamber, laughing to himself giddily as he opened chests of his that held within them creatures and inventions that he had never used before. Sombra lifted an egg out of one of the chests with a huge grin, flying over to a cauldron that sat in the center of his cave and placed the egg inside.

"Victor Freeze, huh?" he said to himself with a smile as he began to add potions and mixtures into the cauldron, adding a few magic words to be safe. "Never before I have been so thoroughly outsmarted and defeated. The princesses only got lucky the both times they defeated me, but you...you are a worthy opponent. I look forward to seeing how this little game of ours plays out, because whether you know it or not...you are now my opponent." He began to laugh as smoke erupted from the cauldron along with a monster, laughing at how much sweeter his victory would be now that he had a worthy foe.