• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 15,057 Views, 1,210 Comments

A Heart So Cold - Onomonopia



What is a person without purpose? Without anything to cherish? What is a person whose heart is ice?

  • ...
74
 1,210
 15,057

A Chilling Tale

I never expected my final moments to unfold the way they did. I was supposed to destroy the compound and kill thousands. But thanks to the interference of that radioactive monster and a certain vigilante, my plans, like everything else in my life, went up in smoke. Everything had been going according to plan, but then I was attacked by a radioactive beast whose powers ate through my suit in a matter of seconds, crippling me. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I should probably explain who I was.

My name is...was...Victor Fries. I was a brilliant scientist and worked for a laboratory that allowed me to study and research all different forms of science. I was a molecular biologist, meaning that I studied the body on a molecular level. As a child, I was fascinated with preserving life by freezing it and seeing if the life could be restored later, using advanced means. My parents, horrified by what I did, sent me to a school for...special children. There I met probably the only other human who cared for me. A woman named Nora. She loved me for all of my qualities and I, over time, came to love her. My life was perfect. I had my work, my love, my life.

Then it all went wrong. Nora contracted a disease--an incurable disease--that nearly stripped her of her life and left her in a near-death state. There was no cure and she had no time. In a desperate act, I froze Nora in hopes of being able to buy her time and find a cure for her myself. But I was a cursed man. My research was shut down and I myself was fired. When I tried to break back into the place where I had set all my equipment, something went terribly wrong. One of my machines had been sabotaged and I was consumed in liquid nitrogen. I should have died, but the fates decided to continue to hate me. Instead of dying, I was reborn as a man who could not live above sub-zero temperatures and was forced to build myself a suit to survive. The suit sustained me, but I had no job and no way to pay for the supplies to cure my Nora. I was left with only one option.

Crime.

Using my knowledge, I constructed a vast array of ice-based weapons that I used to assist me in my criminal activities. No guard could stand in my way and the suit protected me from most weapons and attacks. Even in the criminal underworld, I was not one to be messed with, for those who bothered me were often never heard from again. But then there was the one man who chose to interfere, the one who could stop me.

Batman.

I know not who this vigilante is, but he was my fiercest foe back when I lived. His skills in martial arts and stealth were beyond any that I had seen, and his gadgets rivaled even my own. But what made him so dangerous was that he was smart, smarter than even me to a degree. No matter what I did or how many times I tried to kill him, he always came out on top. For years, he and I battled and I got no closer to curing Nora than I did when I started. But one day, fate decided that it was done watching me suffer and decided to be rid of me. So one day, in another battle with the Batman, a massive explosion claimed my body. Everyone thought that I had died. Even I hoped that I finally had. But fate is cruel. I survived, only as a head, and was locked in cold storage for many years. Ironic.

Ba-bump.

Then I awoke years later to find that my world has completely changed. Well, I did not wake up, I was awoken. Apparently, some of the future scientists had use of me. They said that they could change me back into a normal man and try to give me my old life back. It didn't matter to me, I was essentially dead. So I allowed them to go ahead with their plans and they actually managed to reconstruct my body. I was...happy...for the first time in so long. With the savings that I had stored up in the years past, I tried to help the world, tried to make it into the world a better place.

But the humans are all the same; they only care for themselves and for nothing else. I was used as a pawn in a part of a businessman's larger game, and when I had fulfilled my role, he and his underlings sought to eliminate me. But I always had a backup plan. With a suit that I had saved in storage, I took my revenge upon him and sought to destroy the cursed city. But Batman stopped me once again. Even in the future, he continued to hunt me, continued to get in my way. As he and I battled, a beast made of radiation appeared and attacked me as well, its powers tore through my suit like it was paper. Beaten and dying, I had nothing left to live for and without the suit's power to keep me alive, I was ready for death. But once again Batman stopped me, stopped me from letting all those innocents die. He always did try to see me as more than a machine. He convinced me to use the last of my strength to freeze the compound I was in, stopping it from exploding and killing all in the vicinity. With my one act of goodness done, I threw up a wall between us and waited. Waited for the sweet release of death.

Ba-bump.

But as I felt the flames consume me in what I believed was the cleansing of my actions, I realized that I did not feel the pain of the flames burning or the force of the explosion ripping me apart. I felt my body being turned inside out as my molecules seemed to be scattered into the winds before coming together. I could hear my heartbeat as well (which should not be working), and what sounded like birds chirping. I...am alive?

(_)

The first thing that ran through Mr. Freeze's mind when he regained his senses, was that he was still alive and that he had a heartbeat, which was odd, considering his heart should not be working after the experiment failed on him. He slowly opened his eyes, the color red being the first thing to greet him as he looked through his filtered goggles. The glass that covered his head was intact, which was another odd occurrence since in the battle with the radioactive monster it had been cracked. While he lay on his back, he realized that he was staring at a blue sky with clouds floating gently along. He could assume that he was no longer in Gotham. Was he...beyond? Deciding to look around more, Mr. Freeze sat up and started to look around, his face never changing expression despite what he saw. He was sitting in a field covered in flowers, which seemed to stretch for miles. He looked down at himself to see that his armor was now in perfect condition, despite all the damage he had taken during the battle.

"How odd," he muttered to himself in a metallic voice as he stood up, feeling no pain course through his body, despite the fact that he had almost died in the fight. What did interest him though was that his armor, while in perfect condition, was running low on the energy needed to sustain him and the suit's temperature. "Strange, the reading during the battle showed that my power was still at fifty percent. The levels should not have dropped below the ten percent range unless the power was sucked out of the suit directly."

Despite the low levels, Freeze didn't care in the least that he might die again. If he had survived the explosion, then he would simply have to wait a little longer until he finally died again. But as he stood in place looking at the scenery around him without interest, he felt something that seemed to be tugging at the back of his mind, almost like...something was calling to him. Freeze turned his head slightly to see what looked like a tower far off in the distance, which either meant civilization or some form of shelter. But he had no desire to go; he was fine with waiting for death right here. But the energy pulled even harder on his mind, and he found that he could not ignore the tower in the distance. It was almost like fate was calling out to him, telling him to go towards that tower.

"Very well fate, you have thrown so many surprises at me that I am almost curious to see what you have in store for me this time," Freeze said to himself with a hint of a smile. He may have wanted to die, but he had learned long ago that fate would not let him do so until it had grown bored of him. So if he did what it wanted, then it would be only a matter of time until it grew tired of him and sought out someone else to mess with. So he decided to see what this tower in the distance was, and what this source of power he felt was as well. As he walked through the fields towards the tower, he pressed a button on his wrist panel and opened up his chest plate, frowning to himself when he saw the destroyed circuitry inside and the crystals that he used to power it were mostly ash.

'I shall need to acquire a new power source soon if I wish to remain alive,' he thought as he walked, closing it back up while starting to test the rest of his suit's functions to see how much of it was operational. While doing this, he realized that there was more to the suit than he remembered.

"How odd, I had forgotten that this version my suit came with sound waves," Freeze muttered to himself, deciding that he should test all of the functions on his suit to make sure they were working. First up were the sensors. The red goggles flicked to a bluish color as he went into heat-seeking mode, looking around as he did so to spot a number of organisms that had wandered close to him. The biggest was a bear that growled at him as he walked towards it. The creature roared at the sight of him and charged.

"Perfect. I needed something to test my freeze ray on," he said with no emotion as he pointed his arm at the bear. He closed his fist and fired a beam of sheer ice towards the charging beast, the ice connecting with its stomach and quickly consumed it. All the other animals that had been around watched with terror as the bear quickly turned into a popsicle and froze in its tracks. "It seems to be working fine. Now how about the sound waves?" Freeze pressed another button on his wrist that sent out sound waves that were specifically designed to shatter ice outside of his suit. A small smile formed on his lips as he watched the bear splinter into a thousand pieces, some of which slid to his feet. "It works fine."

He continued his walk towards the tower, noticing as he got closer that it looked less like a tower and more like a spear of...crystal? No...It wasn't just the spear. As he walked over a small hill, he noticed that the spear stood in the center of a city, a city that also seemed to be made of crystal. He engaged the zoom on his goggles and confirmed his suspicions. The entire city was made of crystal as well as the spear. It was almost like...an empire made of crystal?

He also picked up some sort of energy reading coming from the center of the city, the same energy that had been calling to him earlier. If that was where the energy was, then it was where he needed to go. Freeze started to walk down the hill towards the city, wondering what he should do if the humans tried to stop or arrest him. He didn't care about what they did, so long as they didn't interfere with him getting that energy source, as he had stolen plenty in the past to keep himself alive and this was no different. But he had to think of something just in case they were foolish enough to try and fight him. It didn't take long for him to figure out a solution.

He would simply freeze them all.

{}{}

"Woo, did you feel that chill?" Shining Armor asked Cadence as he brought a blanket over to the crystal queen, who shivered despite the sun resting upon her back. Cadence rested on a small couch in front of a fire, eyes barely open but still smiling when her husband approached. The captain of the guard draped the blanket over her shoulders before pulling her into a hug. "Hey, you're going to get better soon. Don't worry about it."

"I hope so," she muttered weakly as she sat up and rested her head on Shining's shoulder. "But I fear for the worse sometimes. By the way, did that chill feel...odd to you at all?"

"No, just felt like the cold that we normally get this time of year," Shining replied. Cadence shrugged it off and went back to resting her head, figuring that all was alright.