• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 15,038 Views, 1,210 Comments

A Heart So Cold - Onomonopia



What is a person without purpose? Without anything to cherish? What is a person whose heart is ice?

  • ...
74
 1,210
 15,038

Cold As A Corpse

Cadence gritted her teeth as Freeze extracted a sample out of her blood and placed it into the computer in his suit, Twilight and the others able to see the transparent screen that appeared out of his arm (making Twilight's jaw drop) as he looked at it with no emotion. The computer made a sound and he removed the sample and placed it under a microscope, the other ponies able to hear him mutter to himself about how he would kill for better tech.

'Oh yes, I've seen you before,' Freeze silently thought as he examined her blood. 'Very deadly...but still in the early stages. You will be troubling to deal with...but not for long.'

"Well, can you do anything?" Shining snarled at Freeze as the scientist walked back over to Cadence, who lay motionless on a bed that had been prepared for her, using the zoom feature in his goggles and his scanner to take note of her vitals. He frowned as he looked at the information before walking back to his desk, tearing a blank page out of one of the books and writing down something very quickly onto it. "Out with it, you damned snowman! Can you save her or not?!"

"That is not the tone I would take with the only person capable of saving your wife," Freeze said coldly, Shining snarling as Freeze walked up to them and handed them the note, which had written on it a number of medicines, chemicals and medical machines on it. "I can cure your wife, but I will need these supplies first. When you have gathered those, come back to me and we will talk what I want in return for this favor. Go," he said when Shining opened his mouth to argue. The stallion snarled again before he turned and ran out of the lab, most of the other ponies going with him except for Fluttershy and the princesses, who stayed behind to keep an eye on him.

"Thank you for doing this," Fluttershy said to him in a kind voice as she smiled up at him, but she backed away slowly when he turned to face her with his red eyes.

"You should wait until after I have given my conditions for my help before you thank me," Freeze said as he chilled his hand and placed it on Cadence's side, the pony sighing softly as she felt the pain subside a bit. Then he turned away from her and walked back over to his table, where he sat down in a chair with the snow globe in his hand. Fluttershy noticed that he was carving something out of an icicle, but she couldn't make it out.

"So then Freeze, since we have some time before the other get back, how about we get to know each other better?" Luna asked as she walked over in front of Freeze, who made no indication that he had heard her. "Let's start off with a simple question, something that I'm certain that a great scientist like yourself will be able to answer. What are you?"

"A pony's life is in my hands and you proceed to mock me?" Freeze asked her without looking up, though he did peek just to see the look on her face as he said this. "I am a human, homo sapiens, but if you call me anything other than Freeze you'll be frozen." Luna backed away from him a bit as he said this, but then Celestia stepped forward.

"Why are you in our land, Freeze?" she asked him.

"Because fate continues to toy with me," he answered coldly. The two sisters tried to get more answers out of him, but he said nothing and the group sat in quiet as he chiseled away at the icicle. He only looked up again when the ponies came back three hours later, carrying all of the supplies on the list in a bag.

"Here you go," Twilight said to him as she levitated the bag over to him, Freeze taking it from her before looking inside to see if all of what he asked for was within. When he saw that it was, he nodded to them and headed over to his desk. He took items out of the bag and placed them in interesting ways that didn't make sense to the ponies but fit perfectly for him, only turning around to face them once he had arranged them the way he wanted.

"You said something about conditions earlier?" Fluttershy asked him.

"Yes. I have a few conditions before I agree to make the cure for your wife," Freeze said to them, noticing that they didn't like what he said. "The first is that no pony is to bother or try to arrest me. The second is that you will tell the citizens of this empire who I am and that I mean them little harm unless they do something foolish as attacking me. Are we clear so far?" He waited until all three of the princesses present agreed to his terms before continuing. "Next, I wish to have this section of the palace given to me so that I may continue to use it."

"Is that it?" Shining asked when Freeze paused, causing the scientist to glare at him for a moment before continuing.

"And finally, the last item I require before I aid your wife is this," he said as he reached behind him, grabbing the book with the miracle flower and showing the picture to them.

"A Lifegiver," Fluttershy whispered aloud so that the others could hear. "But that's the rarest flower in all of Equestria! There's no way we can find one!"

"You have three days," Freeze said to them as he turned around to put the book down. "My research on Cadence’s condition tells me that she has around three days to live. If you can find me the flower and bring it back to me before the fourth day is up, then I will make the cure for you and save your wife. I hope I do not need to explain what will happen if you fail?" The ponies all glared at him, but he pointed to a clock near the desk. "Tick tock." The ponies all turned around to leave except for the princesses, but then Freeze cleared his throat.

"I also wish to be left alone with Cadence to examine her condition further." Freeze added, noticing Shining's face fall. "Besides, you have a statically higher chance of finding the flower if you all go look for it. What are you all still standing around for? Get out."

"You really think that we'll leave her alone with you?" Celestia asked.

"You have no choice. Out." The ponies glared at him one last time before they all turned and ran out of the building with Shining giving one last worried look before he followed the others, leaving Freeze alone with Cadence who was writhing in pain. He placed his icy hand on her side again to numb some of the pain before he left her on the bed and turned back to the table with all of the supplies that had been brought for him. 'I can finish this cure for her in just over two days, given that they finish their end of the bargain.

"What is your goal?" Cadence said weakly from the bed, Freeze turning towards her to see that she was holding her front hooves around her midsection. "You can't just want to continue your experiments in here peacefully. No, there has to be something else that you're after, something sinister."

"If there was anything else I wanted, I would just take it," Freeze said to her in a matter-of-fact tone before he placed the pain pills that the doctors had given Cadence next to her bed. "Take those and try to get some rest. If you do not, you may not even make it the three days." Cadence gave him a look of loathing, but she did as he said and was sleeping peacefully a few moments later. Freeze looked at her for a moment before he turned to leave the room.

'I suppose that I should feed that fool trapped in the cell,' he thought to himself as he headed in the direction of the cells, but he came to a stop outside the room with the mirror. He could feel something coming from it, as if someone was calling out to him. He turned and opened the doors, walking inside and looking around the room as he headed to the center of it, coming to a stop in front of the mirror. He wasn't sure if he was seeing things or if he had finally lost his mind, but for a moment he believed that he was seeing a faint reflecting of Nora in the mirror.

"Why do I continue to allow these obvious illusions to distract me?" he asked himself as he turned to leave. "They are not real."

'Just because something is an illusion does not mean that it is not real,' Nora said to him, freeze slowly turning around to look at her faint outline.

"Why are you bothering to speak to me, illusion?" Freeze asked Nora emotionlessly, knowing full well that this could not be true. "I have far too much on my mind as it is to be bothered by you."

'I came to talk to you, to ask what are you going to do with the mother to be that is dying in the other room, with only you to save her?' the illusion asked him.

"If the ponies bring me the flower that I require, then there will be no issue," Freeze said to her with no emotion.

'But what if they do not?" Nora asked him, turning in a way that made her hair shimmer in the way Freeze remembered. 'Will you let her die?'

"Whether she lives or dies is a trifling concern to me," Freeze said to her, but this time there was the faintest traces of doubt in his words. "All that matters to me is completing the cure to save you. Everything else is a distraction at best."

'You were never a good liar, Victor,' Nora said to him with a small shake of her head. 'I know you better than that. You were not like the other criminals. You are a good man beneath that icy exterior. You know that this quest cannot save me Victor, but you can still save her. Do not let what happened to you happen to this family. I know you better than that. I know the man you are.'

"No, you knew the man I was," he said as he brought up his arm and pointed it at the mirror. "And that person is long gone. But I do not expect a fake like you to understand that. Now begone." He fired his freeze ray into the mirror as he said this and froze it solid, but it was solid for only a moment before he smashed his boot into it and splintered it into thousands of pieces. He said nothing else to the mirror as he left the room, heading off to where he had left the guard so that he wouldn't die and stop being useful to him. But for as hard as he tried, he could not keep what the fake had said out of his head. That he was better than the rest of the criminals that had plagued Gotham.

'But who I am is of no concern anymore,' he thought to himself as he silently walked through the hallways. 'My heart froze over long ago. I no long feel anything. All that matters is the cure, no matter what that illusion says. It is, after all, a fake...right?'