• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 15,058 Views, 1,210 Comments

A Heart So Cold - Onomonopia



What is a person without purpose? Without anything to cherish? What is a person whose heart is ice?

  • ...
74
 1,210
 15,058

The Warmth of Her Kindness

"There's no need to be worried Ms. Shy, it's only a hairline fracture," Doctor Syringe said to the yellow Pegasus as he looked at her x-rays, the ponies around her letting out a collective sigh as they heard the news. "The medication will keep it from hurting too much, as long as you take it every six to eight hours. Although I am still curious how you managed to hit a table with enough force to cause this...accident."

"I was flying pretty fast," she said as she got off the table with a groan, the bandages around her not helping the pain that much. Her friends helped to support her out of the hospital, the doctor telling her that she needed to spend the next week resting and that he wanted to see her again soon. She let out a small sigh as she saw all of the destruction, but she was glad that the hydra was freed of Sombra's influence. 'He is such a terrible pony.'

"Okay sugarcube, drop the whole this was an accident act," AJ whispered to her as the mane six moved through the streets back to where the princesses were staying. "Ah know that you are far too smart to do this to yerself. Tell me the truth; Freeze did this to you, didn't he?" Fluttershy thought about her answer for a moment. She knew that while Freeze had been the one to throw her, she had to have intruded on some very personal information in order to get the cold doctor to react like that.

"I brought some of it upon myself," she said quietly as she looked at the palace, leaving a confused AJ behind her. Fluttershy remembered how Freeze had been beaten badly by the hydra and wondered if he was doing alright. Twilight noticed where she was looking and she walked over to her friend.

"Something on your mind?" Twilight asked her, knowing where she was looking.

"I hope you girls don't mind, but I'm going to go rest up in the palace," Fluttershy said as she stretched her wings, regretting it almost immediately.

"Fluttershy, you don't have to go back," Twilight said to her as she wrapped a wing around Fluttershy's shoulder. "In his condition, Freeze can't force you to stay in there anymore. We can keep you safe." Shy smiled at her friends, but she removed Twilight's wing before she walked over to the palace, heading in through the destroyed doors into the place, looking around for Freeze. She headed to the lab to see if he was there, but the destroyed room was still empty. But she did find the snow globe, lying shattered on the floor with the sculpture of Nora lying broken on the floor. She picked it up for a moment before a smile crossed her face and she looked around for some glue.

|\/|
|/\|

Freeze had a cold glare as he used his freeze rays to seal the cracks in his helmet, creating a temporary fix until he could find a way to completely repair it. He hadn't gone to the lab yet, instead taking an hour in the crystal forge (intrigued that they had a forge to craft crystal) to see if there were supplies to fix his armor, but the forge could not fix the damage done. He then sat down next to a table and placed his arm with the destroyed computer in it on the table, frowning as he saw the full extent of the damage.

'That blasted hydra completely destroyed it,' he thought when he had analyzed the computer and sonic system, finding that one barely worked and the other didn't work at all. He had taken some of the smelting tools and tried to at least close the armor back up, but he only made the damage worse and further infuriated himself. 'It would take weeks to repair this damage if I had the proper tools, but instead I am stuck in a backwater planet that could tell and atom from a-'

'That was very kind of you, protecting Fluttershy like that.' Freeze slowly turned his head to see the silver mare standing across the table from him. He narrowed his eyes at her before going back to work on his armor, not wanting to bother with her. 'You didn't have to protect her from the collapsing ceiling, but you did. Care to tell me why?'

"Perhaps if you tell me why you are continuing to bother me," Freeze responded, making no efforts to hide the annoyance in his voice. The silver mare said nothing in reply, but instead looked out of the only window in the room, seeing the sun resting overhead as she was lost in though. "Hurry it up; I do not have all day."

'Because I believe that you can be one of the champions,' she said after a few minutes of silence. Freeze didn't know what she meant by champion, but he did figure that there was something that she wanted him to do for her, not that he cared what she wanted. 'I need six champions, six of those who can overcome their greatest failures or flaws to become even greater than they were. And I believe you can do that,' she said as she turned back to him.

"Why would you need six champions?" Freeze asked her with suspicion. "Wouldn't just one be enough to save your world? I have met some powerful champions."

'If only one champion was enough to save her,' the silver mare said in a tone that he barely heard before she looked back to him. 'But if my thought process is correct, and I believe that it is, you are the last champion that I need.'

"Why would I bother becoming one of you champions? I have far more important things to be doing," Freeze said to her as he stood up, knowing that there was nothing else that could be done here. "My wife needs a cure and yet I allow myself to get distracted by these ponies and their petty problems. I should just freeze them solid."

'You won't,' the silver mare said to him as he left. 'Despite your criminal past and the rage you have within, you are a good man, Fries. You just have to learn that you are one again. The ponies can teach you Fries, if you let them.' Freeze said nothing as he got up and walked towards the lab, wondering just how far back the hydra's attack had set him. But to his mild surprise, when he entered the lab he found Fluttershy already in there, working on something in secret in the corner. He walked up right behind her without her noticing, narrowing his eyes at her.

"What are you doing?" Freeze asked her, causing her to spin around while hiding something behind her hooves. "Hand over what you have taken from me and I will consider not throwing you into another table." Fluttershy said nothing in reply, but she held out the sculpture of Nora. It was still damaged and broken in places, but most of her had been glued back together. She offered it to Freeze, who took it in one hand.

"I saw it get broken when you created the ice wall to protect me," she said softly as Freeze looked down the statue of his beloved, who still looked beautiful even though she was broken in some places. "I repaired it to say thank you for saving me. I know that the other ponies can't see the good in you, but I know it's in there somewhere, really deep." Freeze said nothing to her as he continued to look down at the somewhat repaired ice sculpture, but he heard every word. Fluttershy smiled slightly at him before she walked by him and headed towards the door, stopping only to turn around to look back at the ice man. "I also forgive you for throwing me and I'm sorry that the ice sculpture broke. Nora must mean a lot to you," she said as she turned to leave.

"My wife." Fluttershy stopped as she heard these words and she turned back around to look at Freeze, who still had yet to move. "Nora was my wife, the only source of joy in my life when everyone else had left me in the cold. But then dieses tried to claim her, a dieses with no cure. I preserved her in cryogenics to keep her alive until I could find a cure...only to have failed so many times."

"And that's why you saved Cadence," Fluttershy whispered, finally understanding why he had done most of what he did. "Because you know what it's like to lose somepony you love to dieses." Freeze said nothing in reply to her question as he simply continued to stare at the fractured Nora in his hand. "I'm so sorry for your loss, Mr. Free-...Victor. But Nora would be glad to know that you never gave up on her. And I know that one day you'll cure her and be together." Fluttershy said nothing else as she left, but there was a small smile on her face as she left the room and headed back to her friends, knowing that Freeze wouldn't mind.

"Fluttershy." Fluttershy thought that maybe she had spoken too soon when she said that he wouldn't mind, but when she looked back at him she saw that he was at work trying to put the sculpture back in the snow globe, repairing the glass with ice. Only once he had finished putting Nora back in the globe did he turn to look at her. "...Thank you." Fluttershy said nothing as he turned back to his work and began to clean up the lab, but there was a smile on her face as she left him alone to his work.

'We really can't even judge a book by their covers, can we?' she thought to herself as she left the palace and headed to where her friends were staying, knowing that they would have a hard time believing what she had found out about Victor. But she understood now why he had been so driven to work and why he had chosen to save Cadence despite them failing to get the flower for him. 'Because you're a good pony deep down.'

=-=

"BAH! This is why I should never create monsters based on weak creatures," Sombra said with a snarl as he re-watched the battle between Freeze and the hydra on a crystal ball in front of him. "But of all the ponies to defeat my monster, it had to be Fluttershy. FLUTTERSHY, the pony that's afraid of her own shadow. How the hell did she stand up to something like that?!...Suck it up Sombra, you still achieved a victory. The snowman can be broken."

Sombra shot back from the table before he turned to a cabinet where he kept a large number of bones, ingredients and potions, throwing it open. He grabbed a large number of the vials and began to throw them into the cauldron, mumbling a number of magic words as the ingredients began to swirl. "So this time I won't send a creature that she knows how to handle. A touch of cockatrice, a hint of rhino...and one, massive helping of T-Rex! Oh this is going to be fun," Sombra said as he stepped back from the cauldron, rubbing his hooves together as a creature began to emerge from the cauldron.

"You may have taken out one of my pawns Freeze, but let us see how you handle my castle," Sombra said as he turned to a shelf full of spell books, taking one of them off that was all about fire and blaze spells placing it on the table behind as he began to read. "But I hope that you do not fall to my castle, because it is no fun until the king gets involved. And when the king of the crystal empire enters the fray, you will burn."